This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

After DU's win last night, DU all alone at #5 in the all important PWR. Tonight is a very important final OOC game for the team in terms of the PWR.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

I think the Pioneers learned that they can play from behind without their top scorers, which is nice to know. That said, NMU really helped DU out with a mind-bending string of bad penalties.

DU is a very average to below average team when they are not moving their feet, and last nights game had two full periods of gliding before they decided to play hard. Would like to see a 60 minute effort tonight, rather than a 20 minute effort.

Comment

Don't think you can expect NMU to take the same number of penalties they did last night. That was beyond the pale.
        GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
          Don't think you can expect NMU to take the same number of penalties they did last night. That was beyond the pale.
          Very true. Walt Kyle is a smart coach, and I am sure NMU will talking about that as a key point of emphasis in their pre-game meeting today. When NMU wasn't in the box, they were an effective team with some skilled forwards like Fox and Gron, and fine shooting d-men who aren't afraid to jump into the play.

The Pioneers need to get their feet moving, their forecheck going and win battles for the puck tonight. This is a very important PWR game before another bye week. Let's see the boys give a full 60.

Comment

This was an odd sort of game. I don't believe I've ever seen a team get called for interference and then called again for interference while they're trying to kill off the first one. I can't recall if I've ever seen a team called for simultaneous minors which put them down 3X5 for a full two minutes. Talk about "gliding," no doubt DU was for much of the night, but NMU wasn't exactly the Ice Capades either.

On the other hand, Lee did just exactly what you hope for in a game like that--get the Pioneers on the board very early in the 3rd. IMHO that reallly changed everything. The goal Czar had two and could have had 3 or even 4 (remember that wide open shot in the 1st that went just a little wide and hitting the pipe in the 2nd). Murray made some big saves. And the defense really asserted itself in the 3rd, at times it was almost like there was only one team on the ice. And let's be honest, posting a 5-spot in one period, no matter how it happens or against whom, is always deeply satisfying. Especially when three of 'em come in 63 seconds!

As I say, an odd sort of game. But, hey, a win is a win. It'll take a more consistent effort tonight, no doubt.
            Last edited by Old Pio; 01-01-2011, 06:21 PM.
            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

We knew we would miss Drew Shore's scoring, but winning faceoffs--you bet. At one point DU had only won 11 of 30. Meanwhile back in Buffalo, Drew is winning 72% of his faceoffs--good for third in the tournament.
              GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                Wait. What? How can this be? A no-name opponent and on New Years?

That's simply impossible!

GO DU!!!
                Crowd looked pretty weak on PioneerVision. Worst crowds we've seen in a while.

Its not just DU. Minnesota had weak crowds this weekend against Union & Ferris State.

Rumor on the Blog that DU is not going to sit still when the Big Ten bolts. If true, its good news.
                Last edited by dggoddard; 01-01-2011, 10:04 PM.

Comment

This is a very good result to me. I was so concerned that DU would lose both of these games and completely hose our PWR. The win last night was great and a tie tonight is acceptable to me considering our top end players either at WJC and Bennett out (and Martin out of course).
                  DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
                  sigpic
                  WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by co14ers View Post
                    This is a very good result to me. I was so concerned that DU would lose both of these games and completely hose our PWR. The win last night was great and a tie tonight is acceptable to me considering our top end players either at WJC and Bennett out (and Martin out of course).
                    DU comes out at #6 in PWR. Gwoz said Bennett will likely be back for the next series at MSUM. DU should be back to full man power in 2 weeks with D. Shore and Jay Z returning from WJC. Except for Jesse DU should be poised to make the final run in the WCHA.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Bad crowd tonight without the students. As the one person in my section actually cheering loudly for the team from time to time, I continue to be amazed at how people around me look at me as the abberant one- as if I am disturbing church, or ruining their cell phone conversations, or I am just too loud...

I think I am going to just be quiet like everyone else...

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                        I think I am going to just be quiet like everyone else...
                        Don't do it Swami!!
                        I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Kyle Ostrow
                          Century Club Countdown

91 Down--9 To Go
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

Ulanski is the ultimate grinder/warrior. Good for him.

Anthony Hamburg who's older brother Andrew plays at Colorado College, mother went to DU and father went to CC, just left Colgate and went back to the USHL over XMAS break. Clearly not ready for college hockey, but was a 7th round draft choice of the Minnesota Wild. He played youth hockey in Littleton & Dallas, but the family lives in Phoenix.

With an extra year in the USHL and maybe more realistic expectations he could be a decent third/fourth liner in college. Maybe DU could scoop him up next year without using any scholie dollars.

As we saw with Joey Brehm last night you can't be too deep.

http://www.uscho.com/2011/01/02/ushl...om-ncaa-ranks/
                            Last edited by dggoddard; 01-02-2011, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Paul Stastny needs 1 point to hit the 300 mark. From the 2005 draft only 2 other players have 300 or more points--Crosby and Kopitar.
                              http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=547919
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

Old Pio get out the tissues, Murray Armstrong tribute video. For those of us that had the pleasure of knowing Murray, this will bring back a ton of memories. For those of you who never got to know him he was exactly the person from all of the stories you have heard. Enjoy and thanks to Eric Bacher and DU for putting this together.

Comment

Working...
                                X