X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Measuring today, Marincin is 6-4 and around 200 lbs. Zucker is 5-10 and about 175 lbs. Zucker will need to be pretty crafty....
    As Mark Twain observed in watching a hockey fight back in the day;" It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." That or Zucker should sucker him or jump him.

Comment

The Martin hit disgusted me, but at least it was during the run of play. I don't think Malone was trying to hurt Jesse, but I do think Malone was trying to send a message to a puck carrier with his head down - fine line between the two, and the hit was illegal rather than dirty. Malone would have hit anyone in that spot - I don't think he was targeting Martin at all.

The Zucker hit was pre-meditated, targeted, dirty and and clearly attempt to injure Zucker. Whole different kettle of fish. Marincin got the penalty he deserved, and that kind of thuggish dooshbaggery has NO business in hockey.

The net result for the Pioneers is that is promising season may be tetering into the danger zone by these headshots. This is sickening stuff, and something needs to be done about it. Hockey is a wonderful game, and risk is part of the appeal. But blasting opponets in the head is clearly wrong, and its time the hockey world got serious about this, before somebody dies.

Comment

Sounds like good news. Zucker is day to day--has a concussion--but not serious. http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/c...mike-chambers/
        Last edited by MagnessMan; 12-29-2010, 05:38 PM.
        Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          You want the players to go to this tourney and become better, more seasoned players -- and definitely not come back with a possibly serious injury. What is it about DU players practically getting their heads taken off this year? You can go years without someone taking shots like the ones Jesse and Zucker had. Two in only about 2 1/2 months? Pretty **** lame...
          Yeah. I'd like to turn Ogie Oglethorpe or Tim "Dr. Hook" McCracken loose on that cheap shot artist. Swami's rightly concerned that somebody could die. Well, we came as close to that as possible this year and only the grace of God prevented a tragedy. It still makes me sick, thinking about it.
          Last edited by Old Pio; 12-29-2010, 05:38 PM.
          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

In this case the punishment fits the crime. The kid that clocked him is out for the rest of the tourney. Sadly, not everyone in the hockey world gets it as clearly as you do PS. There was the thread on another site (that I know you posted on) and this idiot Oiler fan saying stuff not even worth repeating. All in all, the college game is a lot cleaner then it used to be. As has already been stated (and I whole heartedly agree) the WCHA should be taking notes on this punishment. In this imperfect world,the fact is they'll always be idiots making these kind of stupid hits and the swift harsh consequence we saw today cam go along way in making them thing twice. Especially if the consequences are systematic. But then I remember that the WCHA old boy's club is the center of the imperfect world. No chance of them ever doing anything systematic.
            Go Pioneers!

Comment

We lost Bill Masterton in the no helmet era. It's likely he'd survive today. Injuries that end or shorten a career are sad. Injuries that end or shorten or reduce the quality of a life are tragedies and must be dealt with.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                We lost Bill Masterton in the no helmet era. It's likely he'd survive today. Injuries that end or shorten a career are sad. Injuries that end or shorten or reduce the quality of a life are tragedies and must be dealt with.
                Agreed Pio. It's interesting that the helmet hasn't really changed in the last 20 years. You would think with the research on concussions and the technology we have that someone could make a better helmet. One thing I've heard is that wearing a mouth guard reduces the severity of a concusion.
                Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                  Agreed Pio. It's interesting that the helmet hasn't really changed in the last 20 years. You would think with the research on concussions and the technology we have that someone could make a better helmet. One thing I've heard is that wearing a mouth guard reduces the severity of a concusion.
                  In the old days players used to justify not wearing helmets by claiming they reduced peripheral vision, which made dangerous collisions more likely. It seems like you're right, the development of sports equipment is evolutionary as opposed to revolutionary. Governing bodies, professional and collegiate (assuming you can get the NC$$ to stop worrying about indian mascots) are the ones who can put the hitch in the getalongs of manufacturers. We need a "Manhattan Project" on the subject of concussions, to see if equipment can play a role in reducing them, their frequency and severity. Naturally rules changes and vigorous enforcement would also be part of the answer. Do we wait until the next Jesse Martin is taken from the ice dead? I surely hope not. It's past time to do something about this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                    http://media.fans.nhl.com/_Messier-C...44/111820.html
                    DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
                    sigpic
                    WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

Murray Armstrong to be honored on Friday night.

The University of Denver will honor legendary head coach Murray Armstrong on Dec. 31 when the Pioneers host Northern Michigan in nonconference college hockey action at Magness Arena. Armstrong died at the age of 94 on Dec. 8 after leading Denver to five NCAA championships (1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969) and 460 wins as head coach from 1956-1977. Puck drop is set for 6:09 p.m. MT for the special New Year's Eve game.

Fans are encouraged to be in their seats by 6 p.m. MT for the special pre-game ceremony. DU will recognized Armstrong and his accomplishments at approximately 6:05 p.m. MT. Fans are also encouraged to stay in their seats during the first intermission as the Pioneers will honor Armstrong with a 3-5 minute video tribute.
                      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

This WJT is turning into a nightmare for the teams that had players selected.

CC's Jaden Schwartz out at least six weeks with a fractured ankle.

CC plays Michigan tonight and then their schedule is as follows....

Week 1 - Bye

Week 2 - UAA

Week 3 - UAH

Week 4 - UND

Week 5 - DU

Week 6 - MSU-M
                        Last edited by dggoddard; 12-30-2010, 03:14 PM.

Comment

On a positive note, a friend of mine went over to Magness to pick up some tickets for Saturday, and was told that there weren't that many tickets left....

Comment

On a positive note, a friend of mine went over to Magness to pick up some tickets for Saturday, and was told that there weren't that many tickets left....
                            Wait. What? How can this be? A no-name opponent and on New Years?

That's simply impossible!

Anyway, it will be nice to get back to the arena after this one month break, which was much too long.

GO DU!!!

Comment

Quasi-good news from Team USA:

Zucker skated in the morning skate today in Buffalo. It will be a "game-time" decision if he suits up or plays against Switzerland tonight.

Comment

Quasi-good news from Team USA:

Zucker skated in the morning skate today in Buffalo. It will be a "game-time" decision if he suits up or plays against Switzerland tonight.
                                Good to hear!
                                Don't rush him until we know he has recovered.
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X