X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    Not bad for a California kid.
    He's a special player. Not many elite players have his unbelievable compete level on every shift.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
      Rocco was cut by Team USA this morning, so clearly he's no Jason Zucker who made the team last year as a 17 year old.
      The USA team this year is clearly geared for age/exp compared to last year. They pretty much cut all the draft-eligible players this year...usually they throw a youngster in there for building experience (like they did with Zucker last year).

That said, I would think that Rocco will make more of an impact in college hockey just because he'll be around longer than Zucker. Zucker will jump after a year or two. With Rocco's size, he'll be around for 3 or 4.
      I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
        The USA team this year is clearly geared for age/exp compared to last year. They pretty much cut all the draft-eligible players this year...usually they throw a youngster in there for building experience (like they did with Zucker last year).
        Not so sure I agree with this. Zucker forced his way onto the team with an incredible camp and worked his way up from the fourth line to the 2nd line. The USA coach said later that they didn't want to take Zucker, but he forced their hand.

As we've seen so far this season, Zucker is a special player.

There are several NHL Mock Drafts that have Rocco going in the first round. Now that he didn't make the US team, that might be a little more difficult.
        Last edited by dggoddard; 12-22-2010, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rpihockeyrock View Post
          This post from PS hits the nail on the head. It's bang on and through the eyes of administration. Your last one on "what you would do if you were Gwoz" is a bit much. He does do some of those things. However, he is not Mother Theresa and we do live on earth.
          You can see both sides of the argument and unfortunately unless both sides gives a bit, Gwoz is gone. I don't think Gwoz needs Minny type money and I don't think he is asking for the moon. At the same time they vastly overpaid for Bball and Hockey is the sport at DU. I hope this can be resolved.
          I hope it can be resolved too. And he is Mother Teresa to a lot of us.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
            Not bad for a California kid.
            He's more Nevada than California, but same idea.

Comment

Rocco was cut by Team USA this morning, so clearly he's no Jason Zucker who made the team last year as a 17 year old. Isn't a little hypocritical of the DU Athletic Department to run around spouting about Athletes GPAs and all the "student athlete" babble and then holding up Gwoz's contract because of lack of NCAA tournament victories?

The most impressive thing about DU's rise up the recruiting rankings has been the GPAs of the hockey players they are bringing in.
              Tyler Seguin didn't make Team Canada as a 17 year old. Is he not up to par with Jason Zucker either?

Rocco and Jason are completely different players and in completely different situations. Last year, Zucker made a team with just 3 returnees, making it easier to force your way onto the team. This year's team has 8, 6 up front. Not a lot of room for new guys up front, as they weren't going to cut any of the returnees. It's unfair to compare situations like that in my opinion. Lots of talented players don't make WJC's as high school seniors.

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
                Tyler Seguin didn't make Team Canada as a 17 year old. Is he not up to par with Jason Zucker either?

Rocco and Jason are completely different players and in completely different situations. Last year, Zucker made a team with just 3 returnees, making it easier to force your way onto the team. This year's team has 8, 6 up front. Not a lot of room for new guys up front, as they weren't going to cut any of the returnees. It's unfair to compare situations like that in my opinion. Lots of talented players don't make WJC's as high school seniors.
                So what you are saying is that Rocco didn't make the team, but he is a better player than Jason was a year ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                  He's more Nevada than California, but same idea.
                  How about a sunshine kid? LOL.
                  Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                  dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                  wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

As we've seen so far this season, Zucker is a special player.
                    No doubt about that!

So what you are saying is that Rocco didn't make the team, but he is a better player than Jason was a year ago?
                    I think he was just saying that they are two different players that are involved with different situations with team selection, not that one of them was/is a better player as a 17yo.
                    I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post

". . .force your way onto the team?" Did Zucker have pictures of the coaching staff making love to farm animals?
                      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

USA lost their second exhibition game in a row the other night, this time to the Czechs. Zucker did not dress as US was testing players.

Shore did not score.

First game is on Boxing Day.

Comment

<------ Darn those Czechs!

USA lost their second exhibition game in a row the other night, this time to the Czechs. Zucker did not dress as US was testing players.

Shore did not score.

First game is on Boxing Day.

Comment

Originally posted by Cross-Czech View Post
                            <------ Darn those Czechs!
                            I don't read much into pre-tourney exhibitions. Teams are still trying to figure out who plays with who doesn't. When the the tourney is ready to start, I think the USA will be ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                              I don't read much into pre-tourney exhibitions. Teams are still trying to figure out who plays with who doesn't. When the the tourney is ready to start, I think the USA will be ready.
                              Now that the roster is set, I think tonight's exhibition against Austria will be a better measuring stick.
                              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                                OK, that was almost a disaster for my keyboard, very funny Old P.!! I remember an article about the incoming players for that year and it said something like, the coaching staff were all smiles when they signed Lance Momotani.He was one of our top recruits as I recall. I thought he was pretty good. Or am I remembering this through beer goggles (as usual)?
                                Momo was pretty good for what DU had back at that time. Though, I still remember Frank Serratore lamenting the fact that, heading into his second season, Momotani was the top returning scorer (under 30 points) and Frank pretty much said not to expect too much offense or a great season because of that. I believe that season was 9-25-2...

Comment

Working...
                                X