This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

Well not to butt in, but I would totally agree that signing gwoz would be a really good idea for DU. Though I disagree that there are not talented coaches out there, finding them is not all that easy. ( though you know miami did pretty good).I know a lot of coaches and the guys who can really, really motivate and who become icons, are really rare. Some guys who are not all that good a coach are good at recruiting, or have other ways to mask their weaknesses. Also the UMTC posters have been posting that lucia is making over 400K. just fyi, true or not who knows. The other salaries are generally accurate imho. I would bet a lot of money that psu would hire gwoz in a heart beat if they could. You can bet one thing, the top is hard to maintain and the fall can be precipitous, ask rich rod and UM football.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
      I agree that rpi's post was interesting. The guy knows the college game (most likely from the inside). There aren't too many people that can take PS to school but he did. I think the Athl. Dept at DU is terribly managed. There is a whole lot of fat, that should and could be trimmed. Hockey is THE program. Sign George and do it ASAP. The good recruits just keep coming.
      I am not looking to put anyone in their place. PS makes some valid point and there are 2 sides to the stalemate. DU administration had to do something with Bball. We are in an awful league, with poor geographics and awful academics. Even though the WAC isn't looking so great right now with attractive schools already gone or looking to leave, its still a move in the right direction with the " Bball push" and hopefully even better things to come.
      PS can justify the stalemate with Gwoz anyway he wants and there are some valid points. Our national sports world is run by hoops and football. Also, this school still gives 25 mill to athletics and unfortunately they don't look at it as hockey profits over 1 mill and Bball loses over 1 mill, they lump it all as one. The issue is they still they overpayed for the basketball staff. Go tell Gwoz that we aren't going to pay you because you aren't winning NCAA games right now. Even though you have won 2 Natty titles, instead we are going to make a Bball coach who was getting fired at Princeton top dollar in his league. The Bball program has won how many NCAA game? Why the standard for Gwoz and not Scott?
      The bottom line is Scott came in and rolles over a desperate and weak administration and is robbing the bank. Gwoz rightfully wants his now and DU is going to draw the line in the sand? PS what would you do if you were Gwoz? Another reality is that Penn State will come calling, as will Michigan State and maybe even Wisco and Gwoz will be gone and it going to be the 70's and 80's all over again. Say what you want and justify it as you may, but remember this post as a "I told you so".

Comment

Originally posted by rpihockeyrock View Post
        PS what would you do if you were Gwoz?
        What would I do if I were Gwoz?

Here are my 10 points of advice:

1. Win another NC. That will open the bank for you for sure and erase all the bad finishes of the last five years instantly. Cement the legend!
        2. If you can't win an NC (very hard, I know), at least win some NCAA games. Prove that the program can still compete when it counts most. This will also help get you the new deal. DU has proven they will pay for great NCAA results. Make 'em pay.
        3. Don't worry about what basketball makes/gets. It's mostly irrelevant from your employer's standpoint. That analogy just likely makes them cranky.
        4. You've still got 3-4 years left on the current contract. Use them to get more leverage. They know what everybody makes. Be smart. Don't fire warning shots.
        5. Keep your contract stuff internal. DU hates getting egg on their face and in the media. They just hate it. They just aren't used to much scrutiny.
        6. Get out in the community more and show DU more of what an amazing guy you are. Some people see you as a little bit aloof. Prove them wrong. Sell some tickets. Get into the dorms and get students out. Be like Shawn Walsh and take a bullhorn into the cafeteria before the games.
        7. Get the rest of the hockey team to show up at a DU student play. Lamont concert or other non-sports student events. That could make you golden on campus and blow-away the stereotype that the hockey team thinks they are special. Your camp-out ticket buy each year make you popular. More of that!
        8. Get more entreprenurial. Look at all the money Coach Tierney is making with all his ventures. You can do more than kids camps...
        9. The Trustees make the big contract decisions. Take Pat Bowlen to lunch if you haven't already. He's had a rougher year than you have.
        10. Raise some money and get your scholarships and your coaching positions endowed. Nothing talks like money. You are the one coach who has the kind of local network to get it done.

Follow these 10 little tips, and you'll be set for life.
        Last edited by Puck Swami; 12-22-2010, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
          OK, that was almost a disaster for my keyboard, very funny Old P.!! I remember an article about the incoming players for that year and it said something like, the coaching staff were all smiles when they signed Lance Momotani.He was one of our top recruits as I recall. I thought he was pretty good. Or am I remembering this through beer goggles (as usual)?
          Did you call me Old Pee? I wasn't intending to rag on Momotani,exactly. I don't recall ever seeing him play. I was trying to conjure up an era we'd all just as soon forget. However, if we screw this up, we could be heading back there. And fast. One of the things the Big Ten schools have going for them is long institutional memories and successes in football and basketball that give them a certain cachet, even with hockey recruits. For sure, DU has none of that (okay, we did beat CU's championship football team with "Whizzer" White) but we don't have football now and we've torn down the stadium! As an example of what I'm talking about, you walk into the Illini Student Union and they've got an oil painting about the size of a box car of Red Grange on the wall. Now that's tradition. Not wanting to change the subject here, but where are the oil paintings of Masterton and Maggie? Got it.

Our tradition is hockey (okay, we've won lots of titles in skiing, but almost nobody except us and Bob Beattie cares) and that means we don't have anything else to fall back on. The Big Ten schools all have some period of excellence in either football or basketball (or both) to nurture them through the lean periods. Why even Minnesota has the Murray Warmath days. We have none of that and never will. So let's nurture, preserve and protect the tradition we do have. And stop kidding ourselves that replacing Gwoz would be about the same as getting a new facilities management guy--just plug him in and watch him fix those toilets.
          Last edited by Old Pio; 12-22-2010, 01:00 AM.
          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Lots of good points made by everyone as usual.

Lets just assume for a second that the season ended today. The NCAA Tournament would look something like this.

East Regional (Bridgeport, Connecticut)
            1 Yale vs 16 Robert Morris
            8 Notre Dame vs 9 RPI

Mid-West Regional (Green Bay, Wisconsin)
            2 Minnesota-Duluth vs 15 Alaska
            7 Nebraska-Omaha vs 10 Miami

Northeast Regional (Manchester, New Hampshire)
            4 New Hampshire vs 14 Union
            5 Boston College vs 11 Michigan

West Regional (St. Louis, Missouri)
            3 North Dakota vs 13 Maine
            6 Denver vs 12 Boston University

So if I'm to understand DU's position, if DU doesn't beat Boston University, Gwoz doesn't deserve a restructured contract. Second place in the WCHA, Jesse Martin out for the season, Beau Bennett currently injured, weakness at the center position and a team loaded with Freshmen and Sophomores. Not to mention that there will be less that 50 DU fans in St. Louis.

To me DU owes Gwozdecky not for what he can do for the school in the future, but in large part for what he has done for the school in the past. Like the current Derek Jeter vs. Yankees contract saga, Gwoz needs to be paid for past performance and be given a contract that will see out his days at DU.

Gwozdecky orchestrated the biggest moment in DU athletics on April 10, 2004. DU's 1-0 victory over Maine. That seminal moment changed the university, the athletic department and the hockey program forever. Just pay the man.
            Last edited by dggoddard; 12-22-2010, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Changing course here for a bit........

Jay Z and Drew S. made the USA WJC final roster this morning.
              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post

No surprise here!! God I hope they stick around a couple more years!!
                "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                  No surprise here!! God I hope they stick around a couple more years!!
                  Congrats to Shore and Zucker!

Now can we worry about who brings the scoring when we play Northern Michigan?
                  GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                    Lots of good points made by everyone as usual.

Lets just assume for a second that the season ended today. The NCAA Tournament would look something like this.

East Regional (Bridgeport, Connecticut)
                    1 Yale vs 16 Robert Morris
                    8 Notre Dame vs 9 RPI

Mid-West Regional (Green Bay, Wisconsin)
                    2 Minnesota-Duluth vs 15 Alaska
                    7 Nebraska-Omaha vs 10 Miami

Northeast Regional (Manchester, New Hampshire)
                    4 New Hampshire vs 14 Union
                    5 Boston College vs 11 Michigan

West Regional (St. Louis, Missouri)
                    3 North Dakota vs 13 Maine
                    6 Denver vs 12 Boston University

So if I'm to understand DU's position, if DU doesn't beat Boston University, Gwoz doesn't deserve a restructured contract. Second place in the WCHA, Jesse Martin out for the season, Beau Bennett currently injured, weakness at the center position and a team loaded with Freshmen and Sophomores. Not to mention that there will be less that 50 DU fans in St. Louis.

To me DU owes Gwozdecky not for what he can do for the school in the future, but in large part for what he has done for the school in the past. Like the current Derek Jeter vs. Yankees contract saga, Gwoz needs to be paid for past performance and be given a contract that will see out his days at DU.

Gwozdecky orchestrated the biggest moment in DU athletics on April 10, 2004. DU's 1-0 victory over Maine. That seminal moment changed the university, the athletic department and the hockey program forever. Just pay the man.
                    I think DU sees it differently than we hockey fans do. They think they already paid Gwoz big for the NCs in the form of his current contract. They have never given out big sunset thanks-for-all-you've done contracts, even to Murray Armstrong. I'd love it if DU paid Gwoz too as a Jeter-esque lifetime achievement award contract, but that's not what DU does. They don't have Yankee money and that's just not how they think. They aren't the only ones. Don Lucia won a couple of NCAA Titles with Gophers in this decade, but no one is locking him up for a long-term deal. Granted Gwoz has had far less slippage in his program than Minnesota has seen, but it still illustrates the kind of thinking that today's athletic depts tend to pay big when they sign you, and when you win titles. But you don't see as many let's-keep-you-here deals if you aren't consistently winning NCAA games.

If DU hockey fans ruled the roost, Gwoz would have a lifetime deal by now, Ron Grahame would be athletic director, and there probably wouldn't be a whole lot of resources going into basketball. But that's not the strategy that DU is following. Hockey fans need to remember that Dan Ritchie's vision in taking the athletic dept to D-I 10-12 years ago was about broad based excellence in D-I sports, rather than just hockey excellence and just fielding a few other sports. Dianne Murphy and Peg Bradley Doppes were hired to bring DU up to a winning D-I program that wins in all sports they play, and for the most part, they've done that. In just 12 years, DU is the already the best D-I AAA (non-football) athletic dept in America. Most DU teams are nationally relevant NCAA tourney level sports programs, the department has a 3.2 GPA, a 80-90% graduation rate and the kids mostly stay out of trouble and represent DU very well. Basketball success is the next level of success that DU is trying to conquer. Will they get there? Who knows. Given how well all almost the other DU sports have done, I think they have a shot at it, but it's a tall order that will probably take another 5-10 years, given how many other schools are chasing the same dream...

Gwoz is a special coach, certainly. He deserves special treatment, and were I DU, I would pay him too. But I certainly understand why DU is not bellying up to the bar as fast as we'd like them to. We look at DU through a hockey-first lens. They are looking at DU from a multi-sport mandate lens.
                    Last edited by Puck Swami; 12-22-2010, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rpihockeyrock View Post
                      Word out of No Dak is DU lost out on Rocco Grimaldi because he was concerned of Gwoz leaving and DU's committtment to hockey.
                      Rocco was cut by Team USA this morning, so clearly he's no Jason Zucker who made the team last year as a 17 year old.

Isn't a little hypocritical of the DU Athletic Department to run around spouting about Athletes GPAs and all the "student athlete" babble and then holding up Gwoz's contract because of lack of NCAA tournament victories?

The most impressive thing about DU's rise up the recruiting rankings has been the GPAs of the hockey players they are bringing in.
                      Last edited by dggoddard; 12-22-2010, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                        I think DU sees it differently than we hockey fans do. They think they already paid Gwoz big for the NCs in the form of his current contract. They have never given out big sunset thanks-for-all-you've done contracts, even to Murray Armstrong. I'd love it if DU paid Gwoz too as a Jeter-esque lifetime achievement award contract, but that's not what DU does. They don't have Yankee money and that's just not how they think. They aren't the only ones. Don Lucia won a couple of NCAA Titles with Gophers in this decade, but no one is locking him up for a long-term deal. Granted Gwoz has had far less slippage in his program than Minnesota has seen, but it still illustrates the kind of thinking that today's athletic depts tend to pay big when they sign you, and when you win titles. But you don't see as many let's-keep-you-here deals if you aren't consistently winning NCAA games.

If DU hockey fans ruled the roost, Gwoz would have a lifetime deal by now, Ron Grahame would be athletic director, and there probably wouldn't be a whole lot of resources going into basketball. But that's not the strategy that DU is following. Hockey fans need to remember that Dan Ritchie's vision in taking the athletic dept to D-I 10-12 years ago was about broad based excellence in D-I sports, rather than just hockey excellence and just fielding a few other sports. Dianne Murphy and Peg Bradley Doppes were hired to bring DU up to a winning D-I program that wins in all sports they play, and for the most part, they've done that. In just 12 years, DU is the already the best D-I AAA (non-football) athletic dept in America. Most DU teams are nationally relevant NCAA tourney level sports programs, the department has a 3.2 GPA, a 80-90% graduation rate and the kids mostly stay out of trouble and represent DU very well. Basketball success is the next level of success that DU is trying to conquer. Will they get there? Who knows. Given how well all almost the other DU sports have done, I think they have a shot at it, but it's a tall order that will probably take another 5-10 years, given how many other schools are chasing the same dream...

Gwoz is a special coach, certainly. He deserves special treatment, and were I DU, I would pay him too. But I certainly understand why DU is not bellying up to the bar as fast as we'd like them to. We look at DU through a hockey-first lens. They are looking at DU from a multi-sport mandate lens.
                        This post from PS hits the nail on the head. It's bang on and through the eyes of administration. Your last one on "what you would do if you were Gwoz" is a bit much. He does do some of those things. However, he is not Mother Theresa and we do live on earth.
                        You can see both sides of the argument and unfortunately unless both sides gives a bit, Gwoz is gone. I don't think Gwoz needs Minny type money and I don't think he is asking for the moon. At the same time they vastly overpaid for Bball and Hockey is the sport at DU. I hope this can be resolved.

Comment

DU will have to give in, because the are going to look like jackazzes if he leaves.

Comment

Word is if Jason Zucker scores anywhere near thirty goals this year he will be leaving for the Wild at the end of the DU season. The Wild need scoring and believe he is almost ready for the NHL.
                            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                              Word is if Jason Zucker scores anywhere near thirty goals this year he will be leaving for the Wild at the end of the DU season. The Wild need scoring and believe he is almost ready for the NHL.
                              That would be awesome. Hope he makes it.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                                That would be awesome. Hope he makes it.
                                Not bad for a California kid.
                                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X