X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
    UNO won it 3-0. They played a samrt road game. They play disciplined hockey and are very strong on D. They move into fourth place just one point behind us and UMD.
    Pretty amazing when you consider this their first year in the league! Bimidji must be saying what the F>*^? Smart coaching choice on behalf of UNO!!!
    "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
    Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
      Pretty amazing when you consider this their first year in the league! Bimidji must be saying what the F>*^? Smart coaching choice on behalf of UNO!!!
      That being said, bringing UNO & Bemidji into the league was a terrible finacial decision for DU. It diluted the the home schedule and meant less games against UND, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Comment

From Turk181 over on the WJC thread

After watching yesterday's USWJr game vs RPI (along with the practices), Jason Zucker was clearly the best player on the ice
        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
          That being said, bringing UNO & Bemidji into the league was a terrible finacial decision for DU. It diluted the the home schedule and meant less games against UND, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
          minny and wisco are gone in a few anyhow... I can see UNO eventually becoming a big rival with CC an DU

Comment

From Turk181 over on the WJC thread

After watching yesterday's USWJr game vs RPI (along with the practices), Jason Zucker was clearly the best player on the ice
            Zucker (2) and Shore (1) accounted for 3 of the 4 U20 shootout goals! :-}
            GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
              minny and wisco are gone in a few anyhow... I can see UNO eventually becoming a big rival with CC an DU
              Doubtful. Nebraska is/was Colorado's biggest rival in football. UNO just has no brand name recognition.

Denver is a major league town. Big brand name opponents are so important for DU to stand out in the clutter.

CC said they drew 6,000 on Sunday night for the UNO. I'd be interested in hearing from Magness Man on how many fans were actually in World Arena last night.
              Last edited by dggoddard; 12-20-2010, 02:42 PM.

Comment

In case you missed it.
                Last weekend DU's Men's and Women's Swimming and Diving swept the FAU Invitational.
                denverpioneers.com

Former University of Denver golfers Kimberly Kim and Stephanie Sherlock finished tied for 14th in the LPGA's qualifying school, earning tour cards for the 2011 season.
                www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16843449#ixzz18fuWo6xB
                Last edited by vizoroo; 12-20-2010, 11:55 AM.
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Jay Z interview with Mitch Hyder at www.denverpioneers.com.

Beau Bennett interview from same source.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                    CC said they drew 6,000 on Sunday night for the UNO. I'd be interested in hearing from Magness Man on how many fans were actually in World Arena last night.
                    I would say it was closer to 5,000.
                    Originally posted by vizoroo
                    Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
                    Originally posted by duper
                    I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
                    Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
                    Originally posted by dggoddard
                    Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

Good job DU lax: http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2010/...-all-name-teamGot a player on the 2011 All-Name team. Granted he only made the 3rd team.

Edit: spoke too soon. we got first teamer and a third!!

Edit again: and a first teamer on the women'shttp://insidelacrosse.com/news/2010/...-all-name-team
                      Last edited by rickkyboy; 12-20-2010, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ronmexico View Post
                        I would say it was closer to 5,000.
                        Excellent turnout for the Tigers. The Avs drew a full house of 18,000 for a 6 pm Sun game yesterday.

Maybe we should be looking into more Sunday games....

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                          Excellent turnout for the Tigers. The Avs drew a full house of 18,000 for a 6 pm Sun game yesterday.

An interesting idea to start games earlier on a Sunday so that people can get home at a reasonable hour. Risky doing anything that might potentally conflict with the Broncos.

In recent seasons Saturday games have seen higher attendance than Friday games. Student turnout however is much higher on Fridays. Would be interesting to give the Sunday timeslot a shot during the XMAS holiday break.

Important to note that the Gophers have tried some Friday-Sunday series this season and the Sunday games have been attendance disasters.

Comment

FYI - DU will be honoring Murray Armstrong prior to the Friday 12/31/10 game against NMU and again during the Satrurday 2/19/11 game against Michigan Tech. I don't have any further details but as they become available I will let you know.

Comment

The Avs drew a full house of 18,000 for a 6 pm Sun game yesterday.

Me thinks that had more to do with the opponent, given the Avs recent ability to draw fans against other teams. The Habs are an attractive draw, much like the Wings, Phlyers, Rags, or Pens.

r

Comment

Gwoz still has several years left on his current contract, and he's already top 5 in his sport. He'll have more contract leverage if he can get deep into the NCAAs this year. Right now, Gwoz has far less contract leverage with the last 5 early playoff exits and the decline in ticket sales.
                                Puck Swami, you seem to be one of the smarter posters and a true DU fan. However, I must comment in this post. First off, Gwoz is not top five paid in the sport, he is lucky to be top 5 in the WCHA. He makes $240,000 in his base salary. That is behind coaches at Minny, Wisco, No Dak and UNO (Yes, UNO). It also puts him behind Mich, Mich St, Miami, Notre Dame and Ohio State in the CCHA. Throw in BU and BC in HE and he is not even top 10 in college hockey. His contract ends in 2014 (not several years). With that said, he reportably has a very good bonus structure kicking in with an NCAA appearances. Add the Natty Championships, the 08 WCHA Playoff and 10 WCHA league titles and administration isnt losing sleep over his salary. The issue Gwoz has is DU went out and paid Joe Scott $340,000+ in his base salary. I know bball is a different animal, but that salary immediately made Scott one of the highest paid coaches in the Sun Belt and he will be one of the highest paid coaches in the WAC. Even more so, Scott's 1st asst is making $140,000+, 2nd guy $100,000+, 3rd guy $90,000+ and the operations guy $60,000+. You will be hard pressed to find any staff in the Sun Belt/Wac with those salaries. Miller, who is arguably one of the best asst's in the country makes low 90's. Lalonde low 80's and the hockey ops guy makes mid 30's.
                                Now some of you think Scott was a huge mistake. I don't agree. He brought discipline and structure to a rock bottom program. They do well in the class room and they have gotten better. The issue is the salaries they paid for a coach who had the worst year in the history of Princeton Basketball and was going to get fired.
                                As for your comment about the declining ticket sales. Again wrong. DU hockey has a season ticket base this year of around 4,500. The same if not better than the past. They will jack up ticket prices and fill the building for the Wiscos, BC's and CC's. My point is they will still make the same this year as in past years. Around $2,000,000 in ticket revenue, compared to $180,000 in ticket revenue for men's bball. Since they made the "basketball push" at Denver, they have done little to nothing in marketing hockey. You need to work hard to fill the building for Bemidji and Mankato, but they don't care because they made thier money with hockey. They need to get people in the building for Bball and rightfully so. I just worry that it might be a lost cause. Bball in the front range is a tough sell. You commented on the 5,000 plus DU hoops had for the Northridge game. 60-70% of those were freebies. The next weekend, against a better name opponent in Portland, back to moms, dads, girlfriends and crickets.
                                I do agree with the lack of success in the tourny lately. Not acceptable for this program. At the same time Gwoz is 8-3 in the tourny in this decade. If he keeps getting there he will have his wins. With a one and done format, you will have your ups and downs. Who do you want? Wisco or Minny's coach. They have had recent losing seasons and are struggling now. No Dak's coach? They havent won a Natinional Championship in a decade and their players are always in trouble (and all 3 of these programs put more into hockey than DU)
                                Gwoz teams never falter (look at them this year and their recent bad years were 21 win seasons and just missing the tourney), they do exceptional in the classroom (breaking WCHA records for All-Academics) and never get in trouble. With everything stated above, you can see why Gwoz wants a new contract. We don't realize how lucky we are. If we lose Gwoz that is a huge statement about DU's committment to hockey. It will kill recruiting. Word out of No Dak is DU lost out on Rocco Grimaldi because he was concerned of Gwoz leaving and DU's committtment to hockey. What will top recruits say if DU lets Gwoz leave? Recruiting is everything and perception is everything. Frank Seratore has proven he can coach at Air Force. Look at has record at DU. It was awful. DU got away from being committed to hockey and if they lose Gwoz they will be headed in that direction again and we will be very average, in an average league and we will be all over this board saying "what happened". It's right in front of us.

Comment

Working...
                                X