This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

How about college hoops all things Denver. Any talk about letting Scott go. Not sure many care. I am far away and can't access the situation. I did tell Peg after her "Scott Hire" that I thought she made a grave mistake. She explained that they did a thorough check on Scott. I love Peg, but we are in college hoops trouble.
    He ruined Princeton. He overnight made an Ivy contender into the worst Princeton team in history. Kids don't like being around him.

Any insight? Thanks..

Comment

Don't know whether you know Stastny and Duchene are the newest entries for Dancing with the Stars.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_LZY...eature=related
      GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by thedunker View Post
        How about college hoops all things Denver. Any talk about letting Scott go. Not sure many care. I am far away and can't access the situation. I did tell Peg after her "Scott Hire" that I thought she made a grave mistake. She explained that they did a thorough check on Scott. I love Peg, but we are in college hoops trouble.
        He ruined Princeton. He overnight made an Ivy contender into the worst Princeton team in history. Kids don't like being around him.

Any insight? Thanks..
        It's too early to call Scott a failure at Denver. He has built progressivly better teams in his first few years at DU, and this year was supposed to be his best one yet, but this year has been a struggle for a number of reasons. First, his best 6-8 senior forward (Rob Lewis) hurt his leg and hasn't played all year, and Lewis' substitute,a 6-9 junior (Trevor Noonan), has also struggled with illness, which means the teams rebounding capability has been quite crippled. Then you add the fact that the schedule is much tougher this year, and the fact that two other players (Andrew Hooper and Brian Stafford) who were good shooters last year have been very inconsistent this year, and you have the recipe for a bad start. I think DU will win some games this year in the Sun Belt, but this season has been much more disappointing than anyone thought.

Scott does have a reputation as a yeller, but I think the guys know he's trying to make them better. I've seen no signs that the players don't respect him. He's gone out of the way not to blame them so far, and I am hopeful that things will improve.

DU can't go out and get a million dollar coach. They need to win with a $400,000 coach, and Scott has taken Air Force to the NCAAs. so Scott didn't get stupid. With an average incoming SAT of 1200 and GPA of 3.7, there are a lot of good hoops players who won't be admitted to DU. The Pios need to win with gym rats rather than thoroughbreds, and Scott's system is tailor made for gym rats. They just have to hit their shots....

Comment

I love reading about squeak ball! Thanks DU fans!!! When can we read about lacrosse again too?
          Originally posted by vizoroo
          Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
          Originally posted by duper
          I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
          Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
          Originally posted by dggoddard
          Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

I think some of this hesitation to back Gwoz enthusiastically here is a residual from last year. We had such high hopes and expectations and an early out at the hands of RIT just wasn't in our thinking. Later we learned of a very high total of off season surgeries, which might have explained the upset in part.

We're all thinking of Murray Armstrong and what he meant to DU, but we should remember as great as his teams were, they won "just" 5 NC's, although admittedly they gave the impression of being able to win it all just about every year. And times and the competitive environment have certainly changed. What we've learned after the back-to-back titles is that it isn't as easy as we made it look those years.

Swami correctly outlines all of the pluses of the Gwozdecky era, and they far outweigh the minuses. One thing we haven't mentioned so far is the uncertain future for DU, the WCHA and all of college hockey. The BTHC and possible conference realignments cannot be ignored. And I don't want to see us in a "mid major" conference. Just as I beleive we need to keep up with the competition in terms of upgrades to Magness, I'm thinking now would be a bad time to "go cheap" with a coach who has brought us so much success. Look at this season, we were all resigned to a mid-conference finish with maybe a shot at the tournament. Things are working out a whole lot better than that, and the credit belongs to Gwoz.

This guy is a proven winner, with the highest standards for his team, both in the classroom and out of it. Gwoz wasn't afraid to suspend his third leading scorer on the eve of DU's first NC game in decades. Later, when the team and that player were honored by President Bush, Gwoz made sure "W" mentioned Dora--"all is forgiven." A very classy move.

It's certainly possible some other coach could have the same success as Gwoz, possibly even more, but we don't know that. We DO know what Gwoz has accomplished, and frankly I don't feel comfortable risking that success on the basis of what some unknown dude "could" do if given the chance. Gwoz has done it. And continues to do it. No one wants us to go further in the tournament than Gwoz, unless it's maybe me. But I think we have to take the longer view here. We'll have post season success again, I guarantee it. In the meantime, if I ruled the world, I would do everything reasonably possible to keep George Gwozdecky right where he is. Especially when there's a Penn State out there who'd like nothing better than to announce Joe Pa II as their new hockey coach. And if not them, somebody else. Especially when he's showing his ability to bring in talent so the Pioneers are "reloading" not "rebuilding." Now is not the time for DU to send out any message other than "business as usual."
            Last edited by Old Pio; 12-16-2010, 03:53 PM.
            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

I seriously doubt that NCAA performance is affecting DU's attendance. People are just very price sensitive right now. The CC games are "FUN" with tons of atmosphere. The Bemidji games are "BORING" with no atmosphere. Read the Denver Post recaps and check out the photos. There's no comparison between the two events.

If Gwoz left, a lot of people would be out the door with him either voluntarily or involuntarily. And I'm not just talking about the assistant coaches.

Most frightening, if he left, the people who selected Joe Scott would be the people who who be picking the replacements. And Chancellor Coombes would have the final say.

Recruits are not the only ones who come to DU because of Gwozdecky, schools like BC & BU schedule DU regularly because they want a tune-up against top-flight competition.

Very few NCAA programs in any sport prosper after a Hall-of-Fame caliber coach leaves the school. Look at Alabama after Bryant, Michigan after Schembechler, Nebraska after Osborne or UCLA after Wooden. Anyone remember Ray Perkins, Gary Moeller, Frank Solich & Gene Bartow? Schools with a lot more money than DU & years to find a replacement couldn't get it done.

All you need to know about college sports is its the coach who makes "The Program" not the school & on the field success is 90% recruiting, 10% coaching.
              Last edited by dggoddard; 12-16-2010, 06:27 AM.

Comment

DG's point about following a legend is well taken. In the pros, my favorite example is Phil Bengston. Anybody remember him? He's the poor schnook who replaced Vince Lombardi. How'd that work out? I forget.

And Zucker and company show the importance of recruiting, don't they?
                Last edited by Old Pio; 12-16-2010, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                  I think some of this hesitation to back Gwoz enthusiastically here is a residual from last year. We had such high hopes and expectations and an early out at the hands of RIT just wasn't in our thinking. Later we learned of a very high total of off season surgeries, which might have explained the upset in part.
                  To be honest, I completely back Gwoz and if it were my money to spend I would give him what he wants. I hope DU does as well, however it does not appear that way right now and that was my point. There already is an obvious willingness on DU's behalf for the cruddy BBall program to chew into, and use, the hockey program's financial successes for said cruddy program and I'm not sure that is going to stop anytime soon.

DU probably feels as though they have a top-end brand to sell, no matter if it is Gwoz at the helm or not and if they feel as though they can sell that brand without Gwoz, then they probably feel as though they could get away with a less expensive coaching option if they wanted to -- which was, again, one of the points I was trying to make.

In the end, DU should probably just give the man what he wants as I'm sure it's reasonable for what is provided and allow the hockey program to flourish as the flagship it is...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    To be honest, I completely back Gwoz and if it were my money to spend I would give him what he wants. I hope DU does as well, however it does not appear that way right now and that was my point. There already is an obvious willingness on DU's behalf for the cruddy BBall program to chew into, and use, the hockey program's financial successes for said cruddy program and I'm not sure that is going to stop anytime soon.

DU probably feels as though they have a top-end brand to sell, no matter if it is Gwoz at the helm or not and if they feel as though they can sell that brand without Gwoz, then they probably feel as though they could get away with a less expensive coaching option if they wanted to -- which was, again, one of the points I was trying to make.

In the end, DU should probably just give the man what he wants as I'm sure it's reasonable for what is provided and allow the hockey program to flourish as the flagship it is...
                    I sure hope you're wrong Chris, IMHO, it was the attitude that they can put lipstick on a pig and call it DU hockey that got us into two decades of trouble.
                    Last edited by Old Pio; 12-16-2010, 08:38 PM.

Comment

You have to think that the WAC Fiasco and the 2-9 start has some of the DU Hoops proponents in a very uncomfortable position. Its not like Mike Chambers didn't lay all this out in some of his early season articles.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                        It's too early to call Scott a failure at Denver. He has built progressivly better teams in his first few years at DU, and this year was supposed to be his best one yet, but this year has been a struggle for a number of reasons. First, his best 6-8 senior forward (Rob Lewis) hurt his leg and hasn't played all year, and Lewis' substitute,a 6-9 junior (Trevor Noonan), has also struggled with illness, which means the teams rebounding capability has been quite crippled. Then you add the fact that the schedule is much tougher this year, and the fact that two other players (Andrew Hooper and Brian Stafford) who were good shooters last year have been very inconsistent this year, and you have the recipe for a bad start. I think DU will win some games this year in the Sun Belt, but this season has been much more disappointing than anyone thought.

Scott does have a reputation as a yeller, but I think the guys know he's trying to make them better. I've seen no signs that the players don't respect him. He's gone out of the way not to blame them so far, and I am hopeful that things will improve.

DU can't go out and get a million dollar coach. They need to win with a $400,000 coach, and Scott has taken Air Force to the NCAAs. so Scott didn't get stupid. With an average incoming SAT of 1200 and GPA of 3.7, there are a lot of good hoops players who won't be admitted to DU. The Pios need to win with gym rats rather than thoroughbreds, and Scott's system is tailor made for gym rats. They just have to hit their shots....
                        Thanks Swami. Much appreciated. A lot of high profile coaches watch the program very carefully.

Comment

• It's been five long years since DU has won a game in the NCAAs and it's not as if the talent wasn't there to win aganst lower seeds. I think DU will pay for NCAA excellence, but they won't pay top dollar for first round flameouts against RIT. If Gwoz can get to a Frozen Four again, I could see himbagging a big new contract. A fourth consecutive playoff turd, and I don't think he gets the big dough again.

Comment

It's been five long years since DU has won a game in the NCAAs and it's not as if the talent wasn't there to win aganst lower seeds. I think DU will pay for NCAA excellence, but they won't pay top dollar for first round flameouts against RIT. If Gwoz can get to a Frozen Four again, I could see himbagging a big new contract. A fourth consecutive playoff turd, and I don't think he gets the big dough again.
                            Agreed, this time of year we all love Gwoz, especially this year. What a pleasant surprise this team is!! Come playoff time though, I'm starting to hold my breath and am losing confidence. It's been very frustrating. At least RIT beat UNH too, that helped a little.
                            "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                            Tom Serratore

Comment

Interesting program DU has just started called the Pioneer Professors.

Modeled off of Princeton University's highly successful "Faculty Fellows" program, the "Pioneer Professors" program is an academic-oriented initiative designed to further integrate the University of Denver's athletic and academic programs.
                              See Full Press Release
                              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

It's been five long years since DU has won a game in the NCAAs and it's not as if the talent wasn't there to win aganst lower seeds. I think DU will pay for NCAA excellence, but they won't pay top dollar for first round flameouts against RIT. If Gwoz can get to a Frozen Four again, I could see himbagging a big new contract. A fourth consecutive playoff turd, and I don't think he gets the big dough again.
                                If NCAA victories were so important they could be easily incentivized in his contract. Not only that but Gwozdecky is tied with the 2nd longest win streak in NCAA history with eight (2004-05).

DU is playing Russian Roulette with Gwozdecky. If he gets a big offer, DU may only get 48 hours to match it and that's only if he's not really interested in switching schools.

If DU is really this stupid, they will lose him.

Comment

Working...
                                X