This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

One of the DU alumni publications had some statistics on the qualifications of the latest incoming class, and I remember being impressed. I can't find that article right now, but maybe I can later. I'm pretty sure the acceptance rate is no longer 70%. And I remember reading that the average SAT and ACT scores have increased considerably over the past few years. I think the average SAT score is approaching 1200, which is a big improvement.

EDIT: actually, DU just sent me the blurb in quotes below. It looks like the average SAT and ACT scores have improved considerably over the years, but the acceptance rate is still high. I'm not sure how to reconcile the two. But I think things are definitely improving, in terms of the qualfications of the students who actually enroll. Another good thing is that DU is now getting a lot more Boettcher scholars than they used to.

"For the Fall 2010 cohort, DU accepted 72% of completed applications. The average SAT for enrolled students was 1206 and the average ACT for enrolled students was 27."
    Last edited by Pablo; 12-06-2010, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerWF View Post
      You might appreciate this. A while back I posted on another thread about author Stephen White, a Denver psychologist who has written a series of novels about a psychologist based in Boulder. His books always feature familiar Colorado locales, and he recently posted a photo gallery of some of the places he's mentioned in his books. Here's a link to the Mustard's entry. The fictional psychologist and his detective friend are both hockey buffs...a recent book The Siege, which in a change of pace was centered on the Yale campus, mentioned the Pioneers (page 381)!.
      Thanks for the heads up. He has season tickets and I've seen him at games and he reads during timeouts and stopages in play, which is how I first noticed him. He's probably the only fan in college hockey who doesn't mind the extended TV timeouts and stoppages in play. Maybe we should all bring a book to the games.

Its funny the connection with writers and college hockey. Ubernovelist Stephen King has a luxury box season tickets to University of Maine games.

Obviously Terry Frei has written a few good books and Steve Fisher who is DU's historian and HUGE hockey fan has written a book about DU's neighborhood back in the '80s.
      Last edited by dggoddard; 12-06-2010, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
        One of the DU alumni publications had some statistics on the qualifications of the latest incoming class, and I remember being impressed. I can't find that article right now, but maybe I can later. I'm pretty sure the acceptance rate is no longer 70%. And I remember reading that the average SAT and ACT scores have increased considerably over the past few years. I think the average SAT score is approaching 1200, which is a big improvement.

EDIT: actually, DU just sent me the blurb in quotes below. It looks like the average SAT and ACT scores have improved considerably over the years, but the acceptance rate is still high. I'm not sure how to reconcile the two. But I think things are definitely improving, in terms of the qualfications of the students who actually enroll. Another good thing is that DU is now getting a lot more Boettcher scholars than they used to.

"For the Fall 2010 cohort, DU accepted 72% of completed applications. The average SAT for enrolled students was 1206 and the average ACT for enrolled students was 27."
        Self selection. There are many more qualified applicants than ever, so the average SAT scores have gone up alot. But all these qualified kids are applying to 15-20 schools now, instead of 3-5 back in our day. DU still needs to accept 70% of the qualified kids in order to get 1,500 qualified into the final class.
        Last edited by Puck Swami; 12-06-2010, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
          Self selection. There are many more qualified applicants than ever, so the average SAT scores have gone up alot. But all these qualified kids are applying to 15-20 schools now, instead of 3-5 back in our day. DU still needs to accept 70% of the qualified kids in order to get 1,500 qualified into the final class.
          Then assume that CC's average accepted student has an SAT/ACT average in the 1275/30 range (I'm not sure about these numbers, but just assume something higher than DU, but not amazingly higher). Why would CC be in a position to accept only 30% vs. DU's 70%? Are CC's students not applying to 15-20 schools? Maybe CC's smaller enrollment allows them to have a lower acceptance rate.

Comment

CC has only 500 spots to fill. DU has 1,500 spots to fill, three times as many. CC's student's are likely applying to liberal arts schools, and will also apply to fewer schools.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
              Thats interesting. I'll have to check out the article.

Add these figures to DU supposedly drawing 5,400 to the Hoops game [check out the crowd shots in the highligh video. Looks about 1/2 to 2/3rd empty at least] this weekend and DU playing games with Gwozdecky's contract negotiations. Then when people like Mike Chambers try to bring some facts and figures to the light of day, DU goes ballistic.

Its obvious that we were lied to about the mascot (Anyone remember Public Forums & debates???), misled to about the admissions situation, lied to about hoops attendance figures, force fed the WAC/basketball fiasco.

To me the problem is that no one is holding the school and the Chancellor accountable. They hide behind "private school shield" way too often.

It is a big deal? Only if you start believing your own bullsh**, like in the Enron situation. DU needs to be cutting costs and lowering tuition now. We can't be saddling our graduates and their parents with high tuition and enormous debts. Its not good business and its not smart policy.
              You're making the case for an independent alumni association. IMO, DU will never address these (and other) problems because there's no one to hold 'em accountable.
              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Stupid CC, and their lower acceptance rate.

Comment

Stupid CC, and their lower acceptance rate.
                  I mean seriously, how many potential students out of all applicants can demonstrate that they already have their own successful grow operation? Of course CC demands higher SAT, ACT and THC scores...
                  Last edited by co14ers; 12-06-2010, 03:47 PM.
                  DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
                  sigpic
                  WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

I don't think an independent alumni assocation could be self-supporting at a school like DU, could it?

Comment

Interesting stats thanks for the heads up.

I wonder if the Boettcher figures are skewed by students going to college closer to home than they used to. I've never seen a study on this, but I've heard that students today are so much more closely connected to their parents than in the 70's & 80's thanks to the internet, cell phones & changing family dynamics. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the effects of this are students choosing colleges closer to home. One thing that we definately see during Parents Weekend/Homecoming is that DU parents are older, wealthier and seldom divorced. This is what you'd expect when Tuition & Housing cost $48,000, but its still interesting to see first-hand.

Too address Old Pios thoughts about Independent Alumni, who needs that hassle when you can launch well timed pot-shots with amazing accuracy from your Blog. :-)
                      Last edited by dggoddard; 12-06-2010, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                        Interesting stats thanks for the heads up.

I wonder if the Boettcher figures are skewed by students going to college closer to home than they used to. I've never seen a study on this, but I've heard that students today are so much more closely connected to their parents than in the 70's & 80's thanks to the internet, cell phones & changing family dynamics. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the effects of this are students choosing colleges closer to home. One thing that we definately see during Parents Weekend/Homecoming is that DU parents are older, wealthier and seldom divorced. This is what you'd expect when Tuition & Housing cost $48,000, but its still interesting to see first-hand.

Too address Old Pios thoughts about Independent Alumni, who needs that hassle when you can launch well timed pot-shots with amazing accuracy from your Blog. :-)
                        Who pays attention to us? As DU's "most valuable constituency," quoting from their own pablum, we should have a place at the table and an independent voice. I know I'm repeating myself here (what else is new?) but when the hockey program became a shadow of its former self, most out of town alums really had no clue. The University's publications continued their "nothing to see here, move along" coverage so many alums (who weren't necessarily as intense about hockey as we are) just assumed things were okay. An independend alumni publication might have pointed out the truth of the matter and led to some earlier intervention. But without an independent voice, DU was able to starve and humilitate our flag ship sports program, without any real concern that somebody would catch them doing it and calling 'em out on it. Maybe the alumni wouldn't have cared, but at least the issues would have been put on the table. That's the example closest to my heart, there are many others.

Not to diminish the importance of the blog one iota. No criticism implied or expressed on that score. It's a marvelous service to all of us who care about DU hockey, heck, who care about DU and should win you recognition from the Alumni Association.
                        Last edited by Old Pio; 12-06-2010, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                          I don't think an independent alumni assocation could be self-supporting at a school like DU, could it?
                          Certainly not to begin with. It would take a significant amount of up front money to get the thing up and running, then, maybe. I'm really good at speding OPM, but over time I could see an independent association coming close to breaking even. A valuable loss leader, if you will. Part of my limited enthusiasm comes from the increase in school spirit. Just like learning the "D-Rah," joining an alumni association could be part of raising expectations. If I had the money, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Alas. The logical first step would be an in depth analysis of some successful assocations. Revenues, costs, etc.

It will almost certainly never happen because those who would need to be in the forefront of pushing for it never will. Why should they? Why would they want to share influence with a bunch of sheep who exist (in their minds) primarily to be shorn annually? So just treat this as my annual forlorn rant for DU catch up with all of the elite universities in actually listening to their alumni.
                          Last edited by Old Pio; 12-06-2010, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Jason Zucker and Drew Shore selected for U-20 camp.
                            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Bumperama dama!!
                              "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                              Tom Serratore

Comment

My across the street nieghbor just sent one of their twins to CC in Sept. Couldn't say enought about the acedemic schedule. I guess you take one class at a time for an intense 3 weeks then onto the next one...

Comment

Working...
                                X