This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

Kyle Ostrow - He's working hard, but not being rewarded much. He was a +12 last year, and this year he's a -2. Part of that is his role, but last year he had 16 goals and 10 assists for 26 points. This year, just 4 goals through November and 5 assists. At his current rate, he won't surpass last season's output.
    I think Kyle is taking one for the team, scoring wise. He is centering the 3rd line rather than being a wing on the 2nd. No doubt he misses playing with Maiani and Martin. If Salazar gets the plus on linemates, unfortunately Kyle got the minus.
    GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
      I think Kyle is taking one for the team, scoring wise. He is centering the 3rd line rather than being a wing on the 2nd. No doubt he misses playing with Maiani and Martin. If Salazar gets the plus on linemates, unfortunately Kyle got the minus.
      Good point. Salazar has a nice touch around the net, but Kyle brings a more complete game to the table. I'm sure Kyle would trade his lower production for some hardware...

Comment

This years team moves the puck around far better than last year's team. Consequently they are getting better looks at the net.

Although this year's team has had more injuries, last year the boyz were perpetually hobbled and playing hurt. Ruegsegger, Martin & Wiercioch come to mind.

Last year's team had one line who scored consistently, this year there are three lines getting the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
          Food for thought:

- DU is a little ahead of last year's team at this point in the season. This year's team is 10-4-2 at December 1. Last year's was 9-4-1 on Dec. 1. While W and Ls are similar, the difference is that this year's team has played a stronger schedule to this point.
          I haven't compared it to last year's schedule, but I think an argument can be made that DU's schedule these first 16 games has been a little soft, actually. A lot of home games. I haven't looked to see where they stand in the sos comparison, but I would be surprised if they made top 10. They have a brutal road schedule the rest of the way.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            I haven't compared it to last year's schedule, but I think an argument can be made that DU's schedule these first 16 games has been a little soft, actually. A lot of home games. I haven't looked to see where they stand in the sos comparison, but I would be surprised if they made top 10. They have a brutal road schedule the rest of the way.
            You are right about DU's schedule. Its #15 in the country but part of the reason is Vermont falling off the planet & BC losing a few extra games so far.

That being said, after DU gets through with Duluth this weekend they will be favorites in every game they play the rest of the season. The only tough series after XMAS will be at UNO and maybe they will come back down to earth by then.

DU's clustermates this season are UAA, CC, MSUM. (7th, 9th & 9th in the WCHA).

If DU splits this weekend, I'd guess they will be probably be a 24-10-4 team entering the WCHA playoffs.
            Last edited by dggoddard; 12-01-2010, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Food for thought:

- DU is a little ahead of last year's team at this point in the season. This year's team is 10-4-2 at December 1. Last year's was 9-4-1 on Dec. 1. While W and Ls are similar, the difference is that this year's team has played a stronger schedule to this point. This is amazing considering last year's team was much more experienced, and this year's team has had more injuries early.

- This year (so far) and last year, both DU teams average(d) 3.2 GPG offensively. That means that if things stay on current pace, DU will have replaced all the offensive output lost from last season. Astounding when you consider Rhakshani, Reugessger, Colborne, and Wiercioch all left. That is astonishing recruiting folks. Let's hope they continue to score at this rate. If they do, DU should be in good position for the playoffs. I had figrued them for a 2.5 goal offense this year, but they are better than expected so far. One of the reason for the better output is more accurate shooting. This year, DU is shooting at 11%, which is up from last year's 10%. Now a 1% uptick may not sound like much, but it means more goals on less shots over the ecourse of the season. That bodes well if the Pios can keep it up.

Rough news on the attendance front. DU is down about 200 fans per game compared to last years average, despite a very attractive home schedule in the first half. Part of that is the economy, but I also think the buzkill of poor posteaseasons for DU since 2005 is taking a toll at the gate.

Players moving up:

1) Drew Shore's developmental expolosion is incredible. He's already passed his last year's entire output (19 points) in November (22 points), and has gone from a -8 player last year to a +12 player this year. His shooting accuracy has gone from .5 percent to 27%. Amazing. He could have a 50+ point season like Rock did last year, but he will likely miss some games for the WJT.

2) Salazar is on pace to exceed his 15 goal freshman year, and went from 1 goal all of last year to 8 already. What a difference good linemates make...

3) Makowski's development has been rapid. He's already replaced Weircioch (who was a sophomore) at about the same scoring rate. He could have 25-30 points by the end at this rate.

4) Brittian has come in and replaced Chevy (so far), with better GAA and a better saves percentage (so far). Astounding for a freshman. Can he keep it up?

5) Other DU guys who are having better years than last year - Maiani is averaging a point per game, which is slightly above last year's output (after a slow start). Ryder, Nutini and Shawn Ostrow have all already equaled their last season's point outputs in November. Bravo.

6) Matt Donovan - Donovan has 11 points in 16 games, which should mean he'll have a better point output than last year's 21 points, but this year, he's gambled more on D, and he's paid the price defensively. His game can get better, methinks. He has so much talent...

7) Other nice surprises: Zucker has been a revelation - he's the best rookie forward at DU since Bozak, IMHO. Right now, he's on a pace for a 30-35 point season, which would be outstanding for a 18-19 year old rookie.

8) Bennett is getting better after a rough start. He should reach 25 points, which is about where I thought he'd be. He'd have more points if his linemates could better convert his awesome passes. If he could move his feet a bit more, I think his output will increase. It's coming.

9) Philips has almost equaled his offensive output from all of last season (he has 3 points now and 4 in all of last year). He is a -1 which is better than where it was early, but he was a +5 player last year.

10) Dewhurst has no points, but he is an effective forechecker and helps out in the middle. Like his effort level.

Players who could step it up:

1) Kyle Ostrow - He's working hard, but not being rewarded much. He was a +12 last year, and this year he's a -2. Part of that is his role, but last year he had 16 goals and 10 assists for 26 points. This year, just 4 goals through November and 5 assists. At his current rate, he won't surpass last season's output.

2) William Wrenn - Last year, William had 7 points and was a +5 on the season. This year so far, no points and he's a-7, lowest on the team. I know he's been hurt, but let's hope he's recovers soon.

3) John Lee: He had 12 points last season, and this year only 3 points so far, which projects out to about an 8 point year. He's a stay at home d-man, but it would be nice to seem him contribute a little more offesively as his hand heals.

4) Chris Knowlton: Last year he had 6 points, this year, nothing so far despite more ice time. He sure works hard - hopefully he can up his contribution.

5) Adam Murray: I feel for this kid. He's gone from bad (.874 saves percentage) to worse (.827) in limited duty and lost his place in the rotation. Part of that is injury, part is mental. I hope he gets a shot at UAA to right the ship. He needs a confidence boost.
              This is really cool Swami!! I wonder if you should send this to Gwoz, although something tells me he already knows all this.
              "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
              Tom Serratore

Comment

Sorry for the back 2 back posts, but I have a good friend who is a teacher at the same school 2012 recruit Josiah Didier went to. He had this to say about this future Pioneer,

"I have never had him in class. *But, he is a great kid, super polite, humble, smart. *I had asked him once to let me know when he was playing so I could watch. *He went out of his way to send me email updates. *He is totally what you are looking for."

Pretty cool eh?
                "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                  This is really cool Swami!! I wonder if you should send this to Gwoz, although something tells me he already knows all this.
                  I am sure the DU coaching staff knows every point I made and then some-- I am sure they spend a lot more time analyzing DU and opponent data than I do, since their livelihood depends on it.

The really amazing thing to me is the sense of reloading rather than rebuilding. We've never had 4 freshmen that are this good at the same time.

Comment

Four NLIs are signed:

http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewAr...CLID=205039954

Van Voorhis parked in junior unless someone leaves early?

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                      You are right about DU's schedule. Its #15 in the county but part of the reason is Vermont falling off the planet & BC losing a few extra games so far.

That being said, after DU gets through with Duluth this weekend they will be favorites in every game they play the rest of the season. The only tough series after XMAS will be at UNO and maybe they will come back down to earth by then.

DU's clustermates this season are UAA, CC, MSUM. (7th, 9th & 9th in the WCHA).

If DU splits this weekend, I'd guess they will be probably be a 24-10-4 team entering the WCHA playoffs.
                      I wouldn't count on a big letdown by UNO. They are the real deal.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Four NLIs are signed:

Donovan comes to mind
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

Four NLIs are signed:

Not so sure as we are losing 4 d-men, Nutini, Ryder, Cook and Brehm, to graduation. I can't think of many USNDT players that got parked in the USHL after completing their run with Team USA. Maybe he is waiting until the spring to sign his NLI.

Per what we know DU has 6 players coming in next year so far for what appears to be 9 spots if no one leaves early. There are 8 seniors and red shirt junior Dusty Jackson just graduated. Dusty looks like he will start graduate school next quarter and could play next season if he wants to continue to go to graduate school. There are realistically still 2 spots, probably forwards, to fill as a 3rd walk-on goalie will have to be brought in next season.
                          Last edited by du78; 12-01-2010, 07:48 PM.
                          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Donovan comes to mind
                            He is not ready.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Donovan comes to mind
                              Originally posted by du78 View Post
                              He is not ready.
                              Just thinking the Isles were interested last year and they are just as desperate this year. But I agree he needs to be able to play as well defensively as he has the desire to play offensively.
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

Just thinking the Isles were interested last year and they are just as desperate this year. But I agree he needs to be able to play as well defensively as he has the desire to play offensively.
                                Of late, the Isles have only shown the willingness to sign their 1st rounders right away and except for Tavares, Bailey is now in the minors after sticking at 18 and playing 2 plus years for them. This year's 1st rounder Nino Niedereiter (sp) was sent back to juniors after 9 games. The Isles are missing their 2 best players for a lengthy time; Kyle Okposo and defenseman Mark Streit, and have been hit by the injury bug big time. If Matt leaves early this year, I see him easily spending 2 to 3 years in their minor league system. The Isles have been high on him but they are also high on a bunch of other d-men that are already in Bridgeport and up with the big team right now. He is not a first rounder that they have to push quickly into their organization.

Comment

Working...
                                X