X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
    We got the the W, but it wasn't pretty. Kyle Ostrow was playing hard! Drew Shore was awesome! Brittain was very good. Zucker was there! The question is: To whom is gwoz speaking?
    Donovan and Wrenn were both -2 tonight, so he'll probably start with them. Both guys struggled.

Comment

We got the the W, but it wasn't pretty. Kyle Ostrow was playing hard! Drew Shore was awesome! Brittain was very good. Zucker was there! The question is: To whom is gwoz speaking?
      I agree, who is he so upset with? I'm watching it again right now (nursing a hangover) and I don't see anyone slacking. Although I noticed Salazar did not get a point, maybe he's in the doghouse again. Lee has made some errant passes from behind the net. I don't know, I'd love to hear more from George!!
      "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
      Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by DominicHennig
        Hey - If any of you like watching video content on college hockey, the Ferris State Bulldogs in the CCHA has 3 of their top 5 news articles featuring video.

www.FerrisStateBullogs.com/Sports/MIce

I like to browse other college hockey websites after the Friday and Saturday games to watch highlights as well as during the week to watch series previews or press conferences, thought I'd share another spot for fans to check.

Here are a few:

http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/s...oncos_11-20-10
        http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/s...eview_11-22-10
        http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/s...ights_11-24-10

Let me know if you like the work so far.
        Thanks. Reminds me of my salad days. Still not sure what I think about shootouts. The one you posted reminds me of that game between Michigan and Illinois--67-65.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Pioneers took care of business against the six games of home lower division opponents (MSUM (2), BSU (2), LSSU and AFA following the .500 work against top level teams to open the season. This stretch allowed DU to gel a bit and build some confidence at the Pios head to Duluth to face a top level team on its home ice next weekend, in what will be an emotional weekend as UMD says good-bye to the DECC after 45 years or so in that barn.

The Pioneers have some defensive zone work to do this week in practice, as they will face some excellent UMD talent on a tiny ice surface, with all kinds of weird bounces, due the age of the place.

Shore is becoming a beast, Zucker is electrifying and Bennett is starting to score with consistency, while Brittain and the d-corps are doing a nice job of limiting second chance shots.

I am hoping the Pios are good enough to get a win up there. Friday night would be ideal, since Saturday will likely be packed to the rafters as the last call at the DECC.
          Last edited by Puck Swami; 11-28-2010, 11:54 AM.

Comment

A split in Duluth would not be a bad thing.
            GO DU !!!

Comment

A split in Duluth would not be a bad thing.
              Yeah, especially on their iddy, biddy ice.

Comment

Not a bad "family tree".
                The game featured coaches from the same tree, with Appert having worked for George Gwozdecky and with Rico Blasi at Denver, and first-year BGSU coach Chris Bergeron having played for Gwozdecky and then worked with Blasi at Miami. The tree, which goes back to Ron Mason and "Badger" Bob Johnson, who Gwozdecky coached under at Michigan State and played for at Wisconsin, also includes St. Cloud's Bob Motzko and now Western Michigan's Jeff Blashill (Appert's roommate and fellow goalie at Ferris State).
                http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/gamegab.php
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                  Pioneers took care of business against the six games of home lower division opponents (MSUM (2), BSU (2), LSSU and AFA following the .500 work against top level teams to open the season. This stretch allowed DU to gel a bit and build some confidence at the Pios head to Duluth to face a top level team on its home ice next weekend, in what will be an emotional weekend as UMD says good-bye to the DECC after 45 years or so in that barn.

The Pioneers have some defensive zone work to do this week in practice, as they will face some excellent UMD talent on a tiny ice surface, with all kinds of weird bounces, due the age of the place.

Shore is becoming a beast, Zucker is electrifying and Bennett is starting to score with consistency, while Brittain and the d-corps are doing a nice job of limiting second chance shots.

I am hoping the Pios are good enough to get a win up there. Friday night would be ideal, since Saturday will likely be packed to the rafters as the last call at the DECC.
                  Funny. My only trip to the DECC was the '68 NC. And for whatever reason, the size of the ice didn't register. Plus, in those days, I thought it was really pretty nice, especially when compared to the DU Arena. Of course a National Park Service outhouse would look and smell pretty good compared to that dump!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                    Yeah, especially on their iddy, biddy ice.
                    It's only 10 short of NHL, though I don't remember where it's short (the neutral zone seems a bit small). It just seems really small because the crowd is basically on top of the playing surface.
                    Last edited by UMDbulldogs#1; 11-28-2010, 08:01 PM.
                    How do they expect us to throw hotdogs at the gophers with that [Expletive deleted] net in front of us?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard...

Original Penalty Box Member

Comment

Originally posted by UMDbulldogs#1 View Post
                      It's only 10 short of NHL, though I don't remember where it's short (the neutral zone seems a bit small). It just seems really small because the crowd is basically on top of the playing surface.
                      No it doesn't just seem really small. That 10 ft is huge. It is really small.
                      I am curious about one thing though. Why build a new rink. The DECC seemed perfectly serviceable to me.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        No it doesn't just seem really small. That 10 ft is huge. It is really small.
                        I am curious about one thing though. Why build a new rink. The DECC seemed perfectly serviceable to me.
                        I don't know the exact reasoning but I'm sure for the price of updating the current building (e.g. installing a new playing surface, new cooling plant, upgrading the locker rooms, new press boxes, suites, more seats, etc) it was more logical to simply build a new building. Also, a new building can be used as a recruiting tool. Further, more seats = more ticket revenue.
                        Last edited by UMDbulldogs#1; 11-28-2010, 08:01 PM.
                        How do they expect us to throw hotdogs at the gophers with that [Expletive deleted] net in front of us?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard...

Original Penalty Box Member

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          The WCHA is an arms race. All the WCHA schools save Tech and UMD have post 1980s arenas, and most of the WCHA arenas are from the 1990s. UMD needed this for recruiting and revenue. The DECC is also falling apart in places.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                            The WCHA is an arms race. All the WCHA schools save Tech and UMD have post 1980s arenas, and most of the WCHA arenas are from the 1990s. UMD needed this for recruiting and revenue. The DECC is also falling apart in places.
                            This is correct. Winning key recruiting battles is what all programs need in order to thrive -- or survive as somewhat competitive -- and a shiny, new arena is a key component in that battle for the top recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              This is correct. Winning key recruiting battles is what all programs need in order to thrive -- or survive as somewhat competitive -- and a shiny, new arena is a key component in that battle for the top recruits.
                              I would say DU is defense exhibit #1 on that point. What? You mean DU started closing the deal with top recruits after we built Magness?
                              Amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                                I would say DU is defense exhibit #1 on that point. What? You mean DU started closing the deal with top recruits after we built Magness?
                                Amazing.
                                So true. DU to stay in the arms race has continued to supplement Magness and the Ritchie Center. When Magness was built it was built as a multi-purpose arena suitable for hockey, basketball and concerts. Unlike the old DU Arena which was primarily a hockey only facility with occasional concerts, Magness was built to be constantly in use. A second adjoining ice sheet, Joy Burns Arena, was built as poart of the Ritchie Center so as not to disrupt the hockey team's on ice practices. Training has become so important that last year DU finished building the Pat Bowlen Training Center under the new soccer stadium which is connected to the Ritchie Center and Magness. It is the premier training center of any D-1 school that lacks football and is available for all of the varsity teams to use. Propspective athletes are looking at a number of things that a school offers; education, coaching, league affiliation, history of the program, succcess of athletes moving onto the next level, TV exposure, playing facilities and training facilities. Most college hockey players are not physically ready for the pros when they enter college and in most cases need to improve their physical fitness to become elite college players. They know they need an excellent training regimen to be successful at college and beyond and what a school offers in that area is becoming a very important aspect. When I spoke with the DU staff over the summer they were thrilled by the new training facility and how it will help in recruiting.
                                DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Working...
                                X