Denver hosts Bemidji State, Nov. 19th & 20th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver hosts Bemidji State, Nov. 19th & 20th

Well?, what do we think of this weekend series?
    "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
    Tom Serratore

Re: Denver hosts Bemidji State, Nov. 19th & 20th

It should be interesting...BSU held there own a couple weeks ago against UMD 5 on 5. All UMD goals that weekend were on the power play. Dugas and Bakala are both capable starters, not sure if Serratore's doing a rotation or seeing what they both have. Any TV this weekend?

Comment

hopefully BSU can stay away from the "dumb" penalties and stick with the 5 on 5 which has started working. Gotta love goals within seconds of the beginning of a game. I doubt that will happen again in Denver. Lightning can't strike three times in a row can it?

Denver has good crowds. Impressive to see the couple times I have seen them on TV so far this year. Hopefully they will be the late game on paulbunyan this weekend too. Not sure what channel it was on but it was a Fox sports channel.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
        It should be interesting...BSU held there own a couple weeks ago against UMD 5 on 5. All UMD goals that weekend were on the power play. Dugas and Bakala are both capable starters, not sure if Serratore's doing a rotation or seeing what they both have. Any TV this weekend?
        Saturday night's game is scheduled on Pioneer Vision, denverpioneers.com, for $9.95. Friday night is audio only for the same price.

Tuesday: 11:45 am MT Gwozdecky Press Conference and 6:15 pm MT Gwozdecky Radio show. Both are free--denverpioneers.com
        GO DU !!!

Comment

I believe Friday's game in on Fox College Sports, 8:37 CT. BSU played lousy on Friday and very well on Saturday .vs UAA. Depends which team shows up and if they can stay out of the box.
          Fear the Green

Comment

Denver will be in final exams, and I expect at least 1,000 less people in the building than would otherwise be there - probably about 4,000 people instead of the 5,000 they would otherwise draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Upper Deck View Post
              I believe Friday's game in on Fox College Sports, 8:37 CT. BSU played lousy on Friday and very well on Saturday .vs UAA. Depends which team shows up and if they can stay out of the box.
              BSU played well for about a minute on Friday night. Then it was downhill...... Although, it was nice to see some more scoring from outside the Read, Lowe, George line start to show up!

I agree with everything that has been said here. If BSU can stay out of the box, they can skate with everyone. But ending up in the box, the WCHA teams make you pay where the old CHA teams didn't always do that. I know BSU has to retool their penalty kill due to graduation, but it is time to step it up. Only killing off 74.5% of the power plays is not getting it done.

L UND 5-2 0 PPF, 2 PPA
              L UND 5-2 2 PPF, 1 PPA
              L UMD 3-2 OT 1 PPF, 3 PPA
              T UMD 1-1 0 PPF, 1 PPA
              L SCSU 6-3 1 PPF, 3 PPA
              W SCSU 3-2 OT 1 PPF, 0 PPA (8 kills)
              L UAA 5-4 1 PPF, 2 PPA
              W UAA 4-0 1 PPF, 0 PPA (4 kills)

So almost half (12 of 25) the goals given up by BSU have been on the penalty kill.

Hopefully BSU can pick up some points this weekend. It is one of their two plane trips (the other is to Huntsville), but most of the team should be used to that from years past.

GO GREEN!
              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Friday night's game is on FSN Rocky Mountain which usually gets picked up by FCS. Saturday night's game is not televised but will be webcast and audiocast for a fee on Pioneer Vision at www.denverpioneers.com

John Lee expects to be back in DU's line-up this weekend and maybe Dusty Jackson. If those two return, Jesse Martin will be the only injured Pioneer. DU was 3 for 11 (27.3%) on the PP against Minnesota State last weekend and held the Mavs off the board on the PP as DU killed off 14 penalties. Except for the 2nd CC game, DU's PK has been outstanding. DU's goalie, Sam Brittain, is 6'3", 220 pounds and is the team's best penalty killer as there is not much net to shoot at as he is thick and wide. He is a very calm and poised goalie for a freshman. He is tied for 2nd in the WCHA with a saves % of .927 just behind Scott Gudmanson's .931. He is 2nd in minutes played and sports a 2.353 GAA. Chances are he will play both games for DU this weekend and I don't see BSU scoring much. BSU is one of the teams that DU needs to sweep if they are going to have NCAA tourney aspirations.
                Last edited by du78; 11-15-2010, 04:58 PM.
                DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Looks like Dusty Jackson may return to the line-up this weekend.

Gwoz will hold his weekly press conference at 12 PM MT today on Pioneer Vision at www.denverpioneers.com for free. Part of it will preview the BSU series.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Bump!! God it will be nice to see Dusty Jackson again. It seems like forever!! I remember him as a "Paukovich" type player. Big, strong, hard slapshot. I wonder how Murray is feeling about being a back up goalie now.
                    "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                    Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                      Bump!! God it will be nice to see Dusty Jackson again. It seems like forever!! I remember him as a "Paukovich" type player. Big, strong, hard slapshot. I wonder how Murray is feeling about being a back up goalie now.
                      I am guessing Murray gets to play in one of the Denver Cup games over Thanksgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                        DU's goalie, Sam Brittain, is 6'3", 220 pounds and is the team's best penalty killer as there is not much net to shoot at as he is thick and wide. He is a very calm and poised goalie for a freshman. He is tied for 2nd in the WCHA with a saves % of .927 just behind Scott Gudmanson's .931. He is 2nd in minutes played and sports a 2.353 GAA. Chances are he will play both games for DU this weekend and I don't see BSU scoring much.
                        Brittain is easily the best freshman goalie I have seen at DU. He has the big body of a Stephen Wagner, combined with an almost Dubie-like quickness and an awareness of where the puck is and where it will go unlike any DU goalie I have ever seen. I know that Zucker is the freshman getting big-time props (deservedly so) and pulls out those dazzling plays, but Brittain's importance to this team is absolutely large especially given Murray's continued stall in his development.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                          It has been quite awhile for Jackson -- over 1 1/2 calendar years since his last game. DU needs all the bangers they have to be healthy, since there aren't too many on the team.

For what its worth, I saw Murray, while he was hurt, standing with the other players who weren't dressed and when Brittain was announced as the starting goalie he clapped and cheered "Come on Sam!!!" while all the other players had their hands in their pockets and remained silent. Didn't seem hater-ish or anything like that at all, so, based on that little sample, he seems to be rather supportive of Brittain.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                            For what its worth, I saw Murray, while he was hurt, standing with the other players who weren't dressed and when Brittain was announced as the starting goalie he clapped and cheered "Come on Sam!!!" while all the other players had their hands in their pockets and remained silent. Didn't seem hater-ish or anything like that at all, so, based on that little sample, he seems to be rather supportive of Brittain.
                            Goalies are a fraternity of their own, but part of the larger team. Murray is terrific kid, so it doesn't surprise me in the least that he's supportive of Sam, and I am sure Sam is supportive of Adam. They both want DU to do well. Adam's challenge is that he has yet to show that he's an effective D-I goaltender on a consistent basis, where Sam has proven his abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                              Adam's challenge is that he has yet to show that he's an effective D-I goaltender on a consistent basis, where Sam has proven his abilities.
                              Everyone that I talk to who comes into Magness from either the opposing team or the WCHA or from wherever, they always ask about Murray and why he has floundered thus far since he has the talent. Personally, I have no explanation except that some players take longer than others "to get it", which basically means how long it takes them to realize that they have to work harder at this level than they ever have before, be it in practices or in games. What I've noticed is that Murray's head doesn't always seem to be locked into the game (did you see the 90 foot goal CC scored on him recently in the Springs?), whereas Brittain's awareness is undeniable. I think once Murray "gets his head in the game" that we'll see the Adam Murray everybody thinks has the makings of a great goalie, but until then...

Comment

Working...
                              X