pay to play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pay to play

And you thought New York was an expensive place to live/do business!
    According to the so-called "Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act" in 2009-10 RIT paid $8,074 per player in expenses for its hockey team. RIT had zero NHL draftees on that team. The "Equity Act" reported that in 09-10 Wisconsin paid $36,152 per player in expenses for its hockey team. Wisconsin had 11 NHL draftees on that team. The colleges themselves reported these facts.
    Draw or refuse to draw whatever conclusions you wish, but for me it looks more like inequity - except for the level of play.

Re: pay to play

And this matters why?
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Huh...so, lemme get this straight. A major public university with a huge D1 athletic department is spending more on hockey than a private school with a D3 athletic department that plays up in one or two sports.

Wow, I never would've guessed. You must be some kind of superhero genius...maybe this guy?

*****http://www.treygarrison.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/captain_obvious.jpg******

Comment

Heck, I clicked here thinkin I was gonna read about hookers.

T'anks for nothin' Danny!
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

He must have missed the Wisconsin - RIT semifinal There was a bit on inequity there.
          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2010 Frozen Four participant
          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

osorojo every time i see that you've started a new thread i'm just automatically filled with rage...seriously, just stop. just because you pour a lot of money into something doesn't mean it'll be successful...check out the public schools. i can't remember what city it was, but they put a lot of money into it and the test scores went up ~0 points.
            Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by PcFriars13 View Post
              osorojo every time i see that you've started a new thread i'm just automatically filled with rage...seriously, just stop. just because you pour a lot of money into something doesn't mean it'll be successful...check out the public schools. i can't remember what city it was, but they put a lot of money into it and the test scores went up ~0 points.
              Don't have a heart attack over it. He starts new threads a lot.

Comment

I'm assuming those numbers include scholarships?

Comment

In 2010 (2011 too) RIT had no athletic scholarships. In 2010 Wisconsin had 18 hockey scholarships.
                  In 2010 the RIT hockey roster had zero NHL draft picks. Wisconsin had 11.
                  In 2010 Wisconsin paid 448% more per hockey player than RIT paid.
                  In 2010 undergraduate tuition at RIT was $28,035. In 2010 undergrad tuition at Wisconsin was $4,156.
                  In 2010 there were 19,680 undergraduates enrolled in Wisconsin-Madison, and 14,045 undergrads in RIT.

Those handicapped in arithmetic and those contemptuous of facts can stop here. Others will deduce from the facts that someone other than students or parents paying tuition subsidized the bloated per player expenditure and hockey scholarships at Wisconsin, as is true at many other colleges. Realists will conclude that taxpayers "contributed" the difference to these lavishly expensive programs. Thoughtful fans will be tempted to conclude that throwing a lot of (other people's) money around is not the only way to produce a successful hockey program.

Comment

I have a dollar, can I play hockey?
                    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

There are other possible sources of revenue than just students, parents, or taxpayers. Just a few examples: corporate sponsorships, ticket sales, alumni donations.

And, I should also point out that even a full scholarship doesn't really cost the full amount of tuition. Admitting one extra person increases the school's costs by a negligible amount, so simply not charging that person tuition doesn't really cost much in real dollars.

I should *also* point out that RIT does provide financial aid to their athletes.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Man, people are going to be pretty p^ssed off when they learn all that money they are donating to Blue Line Clubs and Athletic Fundraising organizations isn't actually going to pay for scholarship and is instead being burned or something. How did you discover this Osorojo? This is shocking information! I am assuming you did a whole lot of investigating and research. Am I correct?
                        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                          In 2010 (2011 too) RIT had no athletic scholarships. In 2010 Wisconsin had 18 hockey scholarships.
                          In 2010 the RIT hockey roster had zero NHL draft picks. Wisconsin had 11.
                          In 2010 Wisconsin paid 448% more per hockey player than RIT paid.
                          In 2010 undergraduate tuition at RIT was $28,035. In 2010 undergrad tuition at Wisconsin was $4,156.
                          In 2010 there were 19,680 undergraduates enrolled in Wisconsin-Madison, and 14,045 undergrads in RIT.

Those handicapped in arithmetic and those contemptuous of facts can stop here. Others will deduce from the facts that someone other than students or parents paying tuition subsidized the bloated per player expenditure and hockey scholarships at Wisconsin, as is true at many other colleges. Those contemptuous of facts will conclude that taxpayers "contributed" the difference to these lavishly expensive programs. Thoughtful fans will be tempted to conclude that throwing a lot of (other people's) money around is not the only way to produce a successful hockey program.
                          Fixed.
                          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

The bigger concern in my mind: How did the background for this thread become pink?

Comment

Anybody else notice Oso's reps have their own alt-text? Sounds like the USCHO admins are having fun.

Don't suppose you boys could help us out with malz2000 in the UML threads?
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                              X