Favorite Hockey Traditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Hockey Traditions

Alright, so somebody here at PC wrote an article about how embarrassed she was by the student section crowd because we were too "negative", "drunk" and "rowdy" because we screamed things like "sucks!" and "safety school!" against UMass. Before I write my response letter to the editor, I was wondering what some of your favorite traditions are at games. Like for example, at UMaine, they yell out "Loser" and "Big Deal" when the opposing starters are lined up. Any creative goal chants, anti-opposing team chants, etc would be helpful. Thanks!

(http://www.thecowl.com/commentary/fr...sing-1.1746118 is the column for anyone interested)
    Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Re: Favorite Hockey Traditions

Being from Orono, I need to start out by supporting Maine's traditions. These include the welcome and introduction given to the opposing teams starters (as you mentioned), the many sieve chants, the "hey buddy you're outta hear" chant, the naked fives celebrations, and my favorite tradition of all, winning.

Comment

macho man
      Arenas Attended
      Matthews Arena
      Agganis Arena
      Tsongas Arena
      Lawler Arena
      Schneider Arena
      Mullins Center
      TD Banknorth Garden
      Conte Forum
      Whittemore Center
      Gutterson Fieldhouse
      Alfond Arena
      Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

For Orono:
        In additin to everything bearsfan said
        Waiting in sub-zero temps for tickets, sometimes overnight.
        The "You've Said it All" song
        Free candy in the student section! Thanks, Jeff!
        Researching personal information on players. "Kitty Muse is a stripper name!"

Least favorite:
        Any UMass cheer. You can do any cheer in the UMass book if you know: go, you(u), mass, fcuk, suck, and the opposing goalies name.
        Last edited by Erix_The_Red; 11-04-2010, 07:03 PM.
        Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

Stick Salute after a sweep
          Running around the DECC after each UMD goal
          One shot one goal chant (not original but goaltenders must hate hearing it)
          Maroon Loon (who should come back!)
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

BU:
            -The whole student section turning its back to the ice when the other team's starters are introduced, then turning around and yelling "Sucks!" after each name.
            -The "Rough em up, rough em up, BC sucks, sieve!" chant after every BU goal. Repeated as many times as BU's number of goals. The last one ends with "Sieve! Sieve! Sieve!" being repeated. Lots of debate over whether or not "BC sucks" should be in it against every opponent, but I don't mind it.
            -One of the newest and one of my favorites: The student section at the BU end of the ice points at BU's goalie and yells "Goalie!" Then the student section at the visitor end of the ice points at the visiting goal and yells "Sieve!" And repeat several times in call-and-answer fashion.

Other Hockey East arenas:
            -All the Maine traditions already mentioned.
            -Northeastern's rendition of Gary Glitter's "Rock and Roll, Pt. 2" after NU goals. "Oooooohhhhh, sieve, you suck!" It goes on forever and is really annoying if you're an opposing fan. Awesome if you're an NU fan or neutral observer, though.

I'd highly recommend catching a game at BU, Maine or NU. Definitely the three best student sections in HE.
            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Ah yes, I swear that every college hockey town has some crotchety female just waiting for the day she can get a letter to the local paper about the student section's "poor sportsmanship". I dealt with one of their ilk a few years ago. Just remember to keep any public reply respectful.

-The Huskies Pep Band

-The Copper Country Anthem (Pep band plays the "Blue Skirt Waltz", while the crowd locks arms and sways back and forth, occasionally making up their own verses about postgame beer consumption. This is played during the second intermission of every home game.)

-The "E^x" cheer (though I believe this was probably lifted from RPI at some point)

-Jilbert's ice cream (about the only concession at the MacInnes that is worth its price). And yes, people do line up to purchase it in January.

-Mitch Lake who is, AFAIK, still the WCHA's only skating arena announcer. Some of his antics include voodoo rituals on the opposing goalie's net right before the start of the third period, and making suggestive comments to girls half his age during the intermission on-ice challenges. Also the namesake for the student section, Mitch's Misfits.

-Unofficially: SHEEP, SHAVE, and "Tech Once!" (all cheers which have been blacklisted by the athletic department for various reasons, but are used by alums anyway )

If I've forgotten anything, other Tech fans can "Sieve!" me.

Comment

And I'm not sure if this counts, but I love Alfond Potatoes.

Comment

[QUOTE=Federal League;4916460]BU:

-The "Rough em up, rough em up, BC sucks, sieve!" chant after every BU goal. Repeated as many times as BU's number of goals. The last one ends with "Sieve! Sieve! Sieve!" being repeated. Lots of debate over whether or not "BC sucks" should be in it against every opponent, but I don't mind it.

i greatly respect the BU program n'all but this reeks of "yankees suck" and cheapens all the other good stuff you guys do, and is sophomoric to say the least. but just my opinion

Comment

The Lawson Lunatics are good behind the penalty box when they yell, "Hi {player's first name}, you suck! Cheaterrrr!"

I'll get blasted by my posse for this one, but it is the only time I enjoy Michigan's band. I like their drawn out Blues Bros. "theme."

ND's stick salute after home games.

UNO (when they were first in the CCHA) were awesome with their milk jugs with pennies and UNO cards stuck in their caps.
                    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

I love that the Maine students are always funny while keeping their language clean. It keeps the rest of the building involved instead of turned off.

Personally, I find BU chanting about BC all the time to be idiotic. Inferiority complex? Come up with something (original) about your opponent, not your nemesis. Like BU's "The wheels on your house go round and round..." when playing Maine. That's so funny I almost sing along.
                      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                        The Lawson Lunatics are good behind the penalty box when they yell, "Hi {player's first name}, you suck! Cheaterrrr!"

I'll get blasted by my posse for this one, but it is the only time I enjoy Michigan's band. I like their drawn out Blues Bros. "theme."

ND's stick salute after home games.

UNO (when they were first in the CCHA) were awesome with their milk jugs with pennies and UNO cards stuck in their caps.
                        -UND student section says "who's he? he suck s hit!" after opposing players are announced.
                        -F-word the gophers is pretty popular.
                        -After a goal the students sing "in heaven there is no beer"
                        -Students spell S-E-X "what does that spell? S-E-X, S-E-X, S-E-X! what does that mean? score, score, score!" Orgy is teamwork etc
                        -A chant used by all WCHA fans against SCSU "husky women clap, clap, clap-clap-clap" repeat as many times as needed.

Unfortunately most of the old fighting sioux traditions have been black balled by the REA to make the arena family friendly. The old Ralph was a mad house, students were blackout drunk and rowdy with tons of fun chants or traditions. My favorite was once a game during Dave Hoogsteen's tenure a friend of his would yell the Hong Kong Phooey theme song using Hoogsteen's name with a few modifications.

Hoogsteen Phooey, number one super guy.
                        Hoogsteen Phooey, quicker than the human eye.

He's got skills, groovy skills,
                        And a shot you can't stop.
                        When the going get tough, he's really rough,
                        with a Hoogsteen Phooey chop (Hi-Ya)!!!!
                        "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                        Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                        The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                        Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by PcFriars13 View Post
                          Alright, so somebody here at PC wrote an article about how embarrassed she was by the student section crowd because we were too "negative", "drunk" and "rowdy" because we screamed things like "sucks!" and "safety school!" against UMass. Before I write my response letter to the editor, I was wondering what some of your favorite traditions are at games. Like for example, at UMaine, they yell out "Loser" and "Big Deal" when the opposing starters are lined up. Any creative goal chants, anti-opposing team chants, etc would be helpful. Thanks!

(http://www.thecowl.com/commentary/fr...sing-1.1746118 is the column for anyone interested)
                          I tore into that nitwit. Class of 1999 and I'm ashamed she's trying to speak for us.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                          -Blackadder
                          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                          -Casablanca
                          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                            -F-word the gophers is pretty popular.

Unfortunately most of the old fighting sioux traditions have been black balled by the REA to make the arena family friendly. The old Ralph was a mad house, students were blackout drunk and rowdy
                            Sounds like the UMass student section.

BU students also do the sex chant occasionally. They also (and other HE fans might, too) do a similar Husky chant against NU- "Your mom's husky, clap clap clap-clap-clap."

BU's "The wheels on your house go round and round" that UncleRay mentioned is used against Maine, UNH and Vermont. Any state school gets "If you can't get into college, go to state." UML also gets "If you can't get into Amherst, go to Lowell."
                            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Our initial "sieve" cheer at the start of the game, if only for its timing (right over top of the "Michigan Tech promotes good sportsmanship..." announcement.)

I've always been partial to "it's Friday/Saturday night and you can't score" if a shutout is imminent.
                              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Working...
                              X