Union 2010-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union 2010-11

I didn't want to be the one to start this; maybe no one else is watching, maybe no one else cares. Many of you know Union as an opponent. Some of us root for them from the stands as our team. I've watched them on the ice; below are some stats from the beginning of this season: they're hard to look at too.
    For the life of me, I can't see what the coach is doing. Does any one know if she got just a one year extension, or are we going to have to keep watching this team suffer? I don't blame the players.

from CollegeHockeyStats
    GA GF
    Northeastern 3, Union 2 � OT
    UNI (-): 17,3,9,8,12, G35 UNI (+):15,12,22,17,7,G35
    UNI (-):22, 12,7,15,13, G35 UNI (+):24,18,27,3,4,G35
    UNI (-):17,15,12,22,19, G35 (OT)

Boston University 6, Union 2
    UNI (-):10,17, 24,16,3, G29
    UNI (-):5,12, 17,19,9, G29 UNI (+):21,3,8,9,17,G29
    UNI: 19,16,15,27, G29 PP
    UNI: 19,22,27,15, G29 PP UNI (+):4,27,5,23,19,G29
    UNI (-):15,12,7,22,13, G29
    UNI: 10,7,27,16, G35 PP

Union 3, Sacred Heart 0
    UNI (+):23,7,26,5,27,G35
    UNI (+):16,19,10,13,4,G35
    UNI (+):16,10,7,19,G35 SH
    New Hampshire 4, Union 1
    UNI (-):10, 17,4,22, 7 G35
    UNI (-):13,15, 19,22,12, G35
    UNI: 8,10,19, G35 2PP UNI (+):9,19,5,24,17,G35
    UNI (-):19,17, 24,5,9,15 empty (19:59)

Syracuse 3, Union 1
    UNI (-):5,26,17,19,4, G35
    UNI (-):19,9, 24, 8,13, G35 UNI (+):22,10,19,12,17,G35
    UNI (-):26,17,19,5,9,16 empty(19:24)

Syracuse 5, Union 0
    UNI (-):10, 8, 9,27, 7, G35
    UNI: 15, 5,27, 8, G35 PP
    UNI: 17,12,7, 22, G35 PP
    UNI (-):13,19, 22,12,15, G35
    UNI na

Clarkson 3, Union 0
    UNI (-):8, 9, 21,19,17, G29
    UNI: 15, 19, 17, 10, G29 PP
    UNI (-):16, 5, 7, 13,10, G29

St. Lawrence 1, Union 0
    UNI (-):16, 22,7,13, 5, G35 (19:49 2nd period)

Roster:
    LW 16 Lauren Hoffman 0-0-0 2/-1
    C 5 Kelly Alyea 0-0-0 1/-1
    RW 12 Rhianna Kurio 0-0-0 6/E
    LW 10 Lauren Cromartie 0-0-0 0/E
    C 15 Callee Heywood 0-0-0 1/E
    RW 26 Stefanie Thomson 0-0-0 2/E
    LW 22 Emma Rambo 0-0-0 1/-1
    C 18 Taylor Purvis 0-0-0 1/E
    RW 24 Elsa Bruestle 0-0-0 2/E
    LW 9 �milie Arseneault 0-0-0 1/E
    C 8 Marissa Gentile 0-0-0 0/E
    RW 23 Jeannie Sabourin 0-0-0 0/E
    LW 21 Molly Kate Devin 0-1-1 0/+1
    LW 4 Nicole Bartlett 1-0-1 3/+1
    LD 17 Ashley Johnston 0-0-0 1/E
    RD 19 Chelsey Heinhuis 0-0-0 2/E
    LD 27 Dania Simmonds 0-0-0 3/E
    RD 3 Kayleigh Melia 0-0-0 0/E
    LD 13 Maddy Norton 0-0-0 3/-1
    RD 7 Perri Maduri 0-0-0 1/-1
    G 29 Alana Marcinko
    G 35 Kate Gallagher

(Overall|Conference)
    Special Teams
    | P P Penalty Kill Combined PPC/G | P P Penalty Kill Combined PPC/G
    Union|0/33 .000 21/28 .750 21/61 .344 4.1 | 0/6 .000 1/2 .500 1/8 .125 3.0
    Opp |7/28 .250 33/33 1.00 40/61 .656 3.5 | 1/ 2 .500 6/ 6 1.00 7/8 .875 1.0
    ------------------------------------|----------------------------------------------|-----------------
    Scoring/Shots (Conference)
    1st 2nd 3rd OT TOT | 1st 2nd 3rd OT // SOG 1st 2nd 3rd OT TOT |
    Union 1 6 2 0 9 | 44 70 77 1 192 // 10 14 19 0 43
    Opp 7 11 6 1 25 | 106 101 67 3 277 // 36 29 26 0 91
    Diff -6 -5 -4 -1 -16 | -62 -31 +10 -2 -85 // -26 -15 -7 +0 -48
    ------------------------------------|----------------------------------------------|-----------------
    Game Averages (Conference)
    | G/GM A/GM PTS/G SOG/G PEN/G PIM/G PPG/G
    Union 0.00 0.00 0.00 21.5 1.0 2.0 0.0
    Opp 2.00 3.00 5.00 45.5 3.0 6.0 0.5
    Diff -2.00 -3.00 -5.00 -24.0 -2.0 -4.0 -0.5
    Captains: Perri Maduri, Marissa Gentile
    Head Coach: Claudia Asano (Harvard '99)
    Career Record (Entering 2010-2011): 10-84-6 (.130) (4 Seasons)
    Record at Union (Entering 2010-2011): 10-84-6 (.130) (4 Seasons)
    Assistant Coach: Ali Boe (Harvard '06)
    Assistant Coach: Julie Chu (Harvard '07) [I was really hoping that this addition might make a difference--remember when the late George Morrison was on board? Assano needs all the help she can get. Game One looked hopeful. But since then?...]
    Comments?

Re: Union 2010-11

I know very little about women's college hockey but as a fan of the Union men's team, I do sort of keep tabs on the women's efforts or should I say struggles. I have no idea if their problems are coaching issues, but I tend to doubt it. My suspicion is that they just have not been able to attract good enough players, and believe me, this is not intended as a slight against any of the team's current players. I am guessing that the player pool for women is a lot shallower than for the men as there are no junior programs, are there? It does seem that the team is getting to be somewhat more competitive, but it obviously isn't translating into W's.
    Last edited by Wholin1; 11-04-2010, 12:00 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
      I know very little about women's college hockey but as a fan of the Union men's team, I do sort of keep tabs on the women's efforts or should I say struggles. I have no idea if their problems are coaching issues, but I tend to doubt it. My suspicion is that they just have not been able to attract good enough players, and believe me, this is not intended as a slight against any of the team's current players. I am guessing that the player pool for women is a lot shallower than for the men as their are no junior programs, are there? It does seem that the team is getting to be somewhat more competitive, but it obviously isn't translating into W's.
      Union is one of the few D1 schools in womens hockey not offering any scholarships.This puts them at a big disadvantage compared to most schools on the recruiting front. While the Ivies don't offer scholarships either, they tend to attract better recruits than Union by virtue of their academic/school name attraction. Union is much more competitive now than they were in most years past. Just last year they recorded their first ever ECAC win.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
        Union is one of the few D1 schools in womens hockey not offering any scholarships.This puts them at a big disadvantage compared to most schools on the recruiting front. While the Ivies don't offer scholarships either, they tend to attract better recruits than Union by virtue of their academic/school name attraction. Union is much more competitive now than they were in most years past. Just last year they recorded their first ever ECAC win.
        I am sure what you are saying is correct. I can only point to the men's team which has always faced the same problems you cite. In the men's case Coach Leaman and his staff have done an incredible recruiting job. I'm guessing it's even tougher with the women's program.

Comment

I've heard girls that have been recruited by Union With academic and financial aid pay less than 5k or less a year to attend a 50k school. I'm sure they would find a way to have a girl play for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Flarrow View Post
            Assistant Coach: Julie Chu (Harvard '07) [I was really hoping that this addition might make a difference...
            It probably will over time, but there is only so much any assistant coach can do in a month. Remember that when Asano took over, this team was at the very bottom of the talent pool. Reversing that takes time, particularly if many of the factors that caused the talent to be less than that of the competition in the first place are still present.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              It probably will over time, but there is only so much any assistant coach can do in a month. Remember that when Asano took over, this team was at the very bottom of the talent pool. Reversing that takes time, particularly if many of the factors that caused the talent to be less than that of the competition in the first place are still present.
              I believe that the real problem is that MOST players just don't get it! It is FAR better to be a big fish in a small pool than a big fish in a big pool! To much is placed on winning rather than making a difference and playing! I for one would rather play for a team like UNION and fight rather than play for one of the ALWAYS winning team/programs and just be another good player on a great team! And the other thing is that you can get a GREAT education at UNION so why just buy into the schools name and the teams record? Try going to a place and make a difference!

Comment

Originally posted by Shotblocker View Post
                I believe that the real problem is that MOST players just don't get it! It is FAR better to be a big fish in a small pool than a big fish in a big pool! To much is placed on winning rather than making a difference and playing! I for one would rather play for a team like UNION and fight rather than play for one of the ALWAYS winning team/programs and just be another good player on a great team! And the other thing is that you can get a GREAT education at UNION so why just buy into the schools name and the teams record? Try going to a place and make a difference!
                I agree...Union is an excellent school, unlike some of the D1 programs that field winning teams. A good player for Union will get alot of playing time, and make a big impact, whereas in some other programs they might rarely see the ice.

I am sure it must be frustrating for both players and fans of Union to be constantly on the losing end of the scoreboard, but this program has actually come a long way in the past 3 years. Kudos for two VERY close games against quality opposition this weekend. You should be proud.

Comment

Originally posted by Shotblocker View Post
                  Great post, and 100% agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                    I agree...Union is an excellent school, unlike some of the D1 programs that field winning teams. A good player for Union will get alot of playing time, and make a big impact, whereas in some other programs they might rarely see the ice.

I am sure it must be frustrating for both players and fans of Union to be constantly on the losing end of the scoreboard, but this program has actually come a long way in the past 3 years. Kudos for two VERY close games against quality opposition this weekend. You should be proud.
                    Yes agree 100%, on both the academic side and the improvements side. A few years ago this team would routinely lose big time, unless the goalie stood on her head. While they are not yet winning a lot of games, they are in many games, as this weekend's results show. The W's will come if this trend continues. Good luck to the Union Team the rest of the way this year.

Comment

Yes agree 100%, on both the academic side and the improvements side. A few years ago this team would routinely lose big time, unless the goalie stood on her head. While they are not yet winning a lot of games, they are in many games, as this weekend's results show. The W's will come if this trend continues. Good luck to the Union Team the rest of the way this year.
                      I have to agree with both Trillium and OnMAA. Union has improved a lot over the past couple of years and become much more competative.

Comment

I have to agree. While the "results" don't show in the win column, the scores are a pretty good indicator of the progress Coach Asano is making. Next season they have a blue chip goalie recruit and will likely attract a few other top level players.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses!
                          Wholin1…Youre a big fan on the men’s side, so I ask: When you say “I have no idea if their problems are coaching issues, but I tend to doubt it. My suspicion is that they just have not been able to attract good enough players…” , and “I can only point to the men's … case Coach Leaman and his staff have done an incredible recruiting job. I'm guessing it's even tougher with the women's program”, what factor is the athletic director if one team (men) can successfully recruit, and the other team (women) can’t? Isn’t that one of the main jobs of the coach?

[OnMaa: You say "Union is one of the few D1 schools in womens hockey not offering any scholarships. …While the Ivies don't offer scholarships either, they tend to attract better recruits than Union by virtue of their academic/school name attraction." You clearly know that in the ECAC, scholarships (or lack thereof) aren’t the problem. But I'll ask you about “Union is much more competitive now than they were in most years past. Just last year they recorded their first ever ECAC win”: How are they ‘more competitive? One win? Are you watching the games on the ice, or the stats on the books?

WCHF: “I've heard girls that have been recruited by Union With academic and financial aid pay less than 5k or less a year to attend a 50k school. I'm sure they would find a way to have a girl play for free.“ For international recruits the financial packages might be attractive, because the rules are different, but we’ll never know because of financial privacy rules, and we don’t have the right to know the details anyway. But for US recruits, I’m pretty sure that none of the young women are ‘playing for free’, or for less than $5K/yr. They’re paying for a Union education, perhaps with financial aid packages/loans; maybe you’re right, they playing for free, but that’s only because they’re playing without financial reward.

ARM—thanks for joining this thread. Re: Chu. “It probably will over time, but there is only so much any assistant coach can do in a month.” Assano’s in her fourth year. “Remember that when Asano took over, this team was at the very bottom of the talent pool. ” The team may have been at the bottom of the ECAC standings, but the players weren’t at the bottom of the talent pool. Assano came onto the scene with several very good offense and defense players, but she didn’t show any evidence of knowing how to come into a team as a new coach and motivate the players already there. She also had the benefit of Gerrish’s final gift—Day was there before she got there. “Reversing that takes time, particularly if many of the factors that caused the talent to be less than that of the competition in the first place are still present.” My point was the presence of Morrison showed almost immediately in the way the players moved on the ice and in their attitudes. There was a “Finally we have a coach who knows how to coach” change in the way they played the game. When Chu came on board, I was hopeful, and this year’s first game appeared to show a similar change on the ice, but it’s been backwards since then.

Two days later
                          A new voice to me, shotblocker: “I for one would rather play for a team like UNION and fight rather than play for one of the ALWAYS winning team/programs and just be another good player on a great team! And the other thing is that you can get a GREAT education at UNION so why just buy into the schools name and the teams record? Try going to a place and make a difference!” I absolutely agree. And that was one of the MAJOR recruiting points that Gerrish used to make—come to Union and help us transform the team from DIII to DI. He said upfront that it’d be a long hard road, that the transitional players would likely graduate before they saw the transition completed, and that they might play their hearts out and still lose, but that they’d know they were contributing to a very hard change of divisional play.…but he, and those interim players, got thrown under the bus, for what? Assano's transformative powers? Yes, Gerrish had his problems, with assistant coaches and with players, but he also had great success with each of those groups as well. I hope he’s holding his head high regarding his Union years. But Assano recruits from just a few programs she seems to know, often taking smaller players recovering from injuries. When the defense needed rebuilding, she recruited forwards. When she needed a goalie to rreplaced Day-we're told by Hux that's still down the raod.Yes, there are a few really good players on the team now, but she hasn’t shown she has the team building skills to make use of them.

And in the next two days, the big fish jump in the little pool— Trillium and Hux
                          Trillium: I agree with ”Union is an excellent school, unlike some of the D1 programs that field winning teams.” but not with “A good player for Union will get alot of playing time, and make a big impact, whereas in some other programs they might rarely see the ice.” That’s what I see as one of Assano’s big problems: she thinks one of her ‘good players’ will make her career turn around, and she sticks with lines far too long, apparently because she thinks hockey is a game of players only, and not lines, and routine playing strategies, well executed. And, I suppose like many new coaches, if she thinks a player is NOT one of her good players, that player is dead to her, and the team. “this program has actually come a long way in the past 3 years. Kudos for two VERY close games against quality opposition this weekend. You should be proud.” Yeah, of course be proud of two close losses, but I just don’t see your “long way”. They can't break the puck out of the defense zone…they fail to make repeated movement on the puck (passing)...and far too often the team lacks the discipline to avoid penalties (we won’t go into the ‘too many men’ coaches’ penalties) …they remain weak in executing special team play….and, again, Assano doesn’t appear to know how to COACH a team through these needs.

OnMaa returns: Re: shotblocker: I comment above. Re: trillium:. You add “A few years ago this team would routinely lose big time, unless the goalie stood on her head.” Lundy Day moved from Maine, where she was the extra goalie, to Union, and finally got the chance to show, game after game, what a great goalie she was. Those were Assano’s first contract years, and the change in stat records during Day’s career (and Assano had other goalies on the bench that did perform on Day’s off days) cannot be denied. But anyone who watched those games to watch the team and not just the goalie cringed as the defense repeatedly could not get the puck out of the zone---the opposing team, game after game, would regain possession while still in their offensive zone, shoot again and again, lose it, and regain it again for more shots before the puck was finally cleared. Look at the SOGs that Day rejected. And during those first three years, far too often, the offense was one player’s rush down the ice, a shot, and then it was another series of shots on Day. Assano could not achieve any sort of team offense. And I'm afraid that persists this year. But your optimism prompts: “While they are not yet winning a lot of games, they are in many games, as this weekend's results show. The W's will come if this trend continues.” Yes, they are scoring, but look at the SOG stats. If these continue, the season has no sign of a change of team playing trends, just change of shot differential, which means nothing, if the other teams get just one more goals. You end with “Good luck to the Union Team the rest of the way this year.” --Youbetcha.

[Hi mattj711—good to hear from you too. “I have to agree with both Trillium and OnMAA. Union has improved a lot over the past couple of years and become much more competative.” So you say. But Matt, show me where you see this lot of improvement and much more competitive play. I can’t see it from the stands, nor from the stats. I’d love to see the '10-'11 Union team play against the, say, '08-'09 Union team….it’d probably be a close game, with Day providing the win! I really don’t think there’d be a huge difference between the two Assano teams.

And finally, dear ol’ Hux weighs in…thanks for joining this thread. Re: OnMaa “I have to agree. While the "results" don't show in the win column, the scores are a pretty good indicator of the progress Coach Asano is making.” Scores, s’mores. I’ve seen nothing so far that shows progress on the part of this still-rookie coach, just some good individual offensive shots, that resulted in closer scores than previous years—but the (little) scoring is so spread out across players, and across time (look how many periods go by without a scoring shot, how many minutes go by without any shots). “Next season they have a blue chip goalie recruit and will likely attract a few other top level players”. Since you seem to continue to have an inside line on what’s happening at Union, can’t you please answer my original question: Did Assano get a one- or three- year contract renewal? And please, if you hear anything about COACH RECUITING SUCCESS coming down the line at Union, let us know!. Thanks.

And thanks to all of you who wrote or read this thread. Let’s go U!

Comment

Originally posted by Flarrow View Post
                            Thanks for all the responses!
                            Wholin1…Youre a big fan on the men’s side, so I ask: When you say “I have no idea if their problems are coaching issues, but I tend to doubt it. My suspicion is that they just have not been able to attract good enough players…” , and “I can only point to the men's … case Coach Leaman and his staff have done an incredible recruiting job. I'm guessing it's even tougher with the women's program”, what factor is the athletic director if one team (men) can successfully recruit, and the other team (women) can’t? Isn’t that one of the main jobs of the coach?

[OnMaa: You say "Union is one of the few D1 schools in womens hockey not offering any scholarships. …While the Ivies don't offer scholarships either, they tend to attract better recruits than Union by virtue of their academic/school name attraction." You clearly know that in the ECAC, scholarships (or lack thereof) aren’t the problem. But I'll ask you about “Union is much more competitive now than they were in most years past. Just last year they recorded their first ever ECAC win”: How are they ‘more competitive? One win? Are you watching the games on the ice, or the stats on the books?

WCHF: “I've heard girls that have been recruited by Union With academic and financial aid pay less than 5k or less a year to attend a 50k school. I'm sure they would find a way to have a girl play for free.“ For international recruits the financial packages might be attractive, because the rules are different, but we’ll never know because of financial privacy rules, and we don’t have the right to know the details anyway. But for US recruits, I’m pretty sure that none of the young women are ‘playing for free’, or for less than $5K/yr. They’re paying for a Union education, perhaps with financial aid packages/loans; maybe you’re right, they playing for free, but that’s only because they’re playing without financial reward.

ARM—thanks for joining this thread. Re: Chu. “It probably will over time, but there is only so much any assistant coach can do in a month.” Assano’s in her fourth year. “Remember that when Asano took over, this team was at the very bottom of the talent pool. ” The team may have been at the bottom of the ECAC standings, but the players weren’t at the bottom of the talent pool. Assano came onto the scene with several very good offense and defense players, but she didn’t show any evidence of knowing how to come into a team as a new coach and motivate the players already there. She also had the benefit of Gerrish’s final gift—Day was there before she got there. “Reversing that takes time, particularly if many of the factors that caused the talent to be less than that of the competition in the first place are still present.” My point was the presence of Morrison showed almost immediately in the way the players moved on the ice and in their attitudes. There was a “Finally we have a coach who knows how to coach” change in the way they played the game. When Chu came on board, I was hopeful, and this year’s first game appeared to show a similar change on the ice, but it’s been backwards since then.

Two days later
                            A new voice to me, shotblocker: “I for one would rather play for a team like UNION and fight rather than play for one of the ALWAYS winning team/programs and just be another good player on a great team! And the other thing is that you can get a GREAT education at UNION so why just buy into the schools name and the teams record? Try going to a place and make a difference!” I absolutely agree. And that was one of the MAJOR recruiting points that Gerrish used to make—come to Union and help us transform the team from DIII to DI. He said upfront that it’d be a long hard road, that the transitional players would likely graduate before they saw the transition completed, and that they might play their hearts out and still lose, but that they’d know they were contributing to a very hard change of divisional play.…but he, and those interim players, got thrown under the bus, for what? Assano's transformative powers? Yes, Gerrish had his problems, with assistant coaches and with players, but he also had great success with each of those groups as well. I hope he’s holding his head high regarding his Union years. But Assano recruits from just a few programs she seems to know, often taking smaller players recovering from injuries. When the defense needed rebuilding, she recruited forwards. When she needed a goalie to rreplaced Day-we're told by Hux that's still down the raod.Yes, there are a few really good players on the team now, but she hasn’t shown she has the team building skills to make use of them.

And in the next two days, the big fish jump in the little pool— Trillium and Hux
                            Trillium: I agree with ”Union is an excellent school, unlike some of the D1 programs that field winning teams.” but not with “A good player for Union will get alot of playing time, and make a big impact, whereas in some other programs they might rarely see the ice.” That’s what I see as one of Assano’s big problems: she thinks one of her ‘good players’ will make her career turn around, and she sticks with lines far too long, apparently because she thinks hockey is a game of players only, and not lines, and routine playing strategies, well executed. And, I suppose like many new coaches, if she thinks a player is NOT one of her good players, that player is dead to her, and the team. “this program has actually come a long way in the past 3 years. Kudos for two VERY close games against quality opposition this weekend. You should be proud.” Yeah, of course be proud of two close losses, but I just don’t see your “long way”. They can't break the puck out of the defense zone…they fail to make repeated movement on the puck (passing)...and far too often the team lacks the discipline to avoid penalties (we won’t go into the ‘too many men’ coaches’ penalties) …they remain weak in executing special team play….and, again, Assano doesn’t appear to know how to COACH a team through these needs.

OnMaa returns: Re: shotblocker: I comment above. Re: trillium:. You add “A few years ago this team would routinely lose big time, unless the goalie stood on her head.” Lundy Day moved from Maine, where she was the extra goalie, to Union, and finally got the chance to show, game after game, what a great goalie she was. Those were Assano’s first contract years, and the change in stat records during Day’s career (and Assano had other goalies on the bench that did perform on Day’s off days) cannot be denied. But anyone who watched those games to watch the team and not just the goalie cringed as the defense repeatedly could not get the puck out of the zone---the opposing team, game after game, would regain possession while still in their offensive zone, shoot again and again, lose it, and regain it again for more shots before the puck was finally cleared. Look at the SOGs that Day rejected. And during those first three years, far too often, the offense was one player’s rush down the ice, a shot, and then it was another series of shots on Day. Assano could not achieve any sort of team offense. And I'm afraid that persists this year. But your optimism prompts: “While they are not yet winning a lot of games, they are in many games, as this weekend's results show. The W's will come if this trend continues.” Yes, they are scoring, but look at the SOG stats. If these continue, the season has no sign of a change of team playing trends, just change of shot differential, which means nothing, if the other teams get just one more goals. You end with “Good luck to the Union Team the rest of the way this year.” --Youbetcha.

[Hi mattj711—good to hear from you too. “I have to agree with both Trillium and OnMAA. Union has improved a lot over the past couple of years and become much more competative.” So you say. But Matt, show me where you see this lot of improvement and much more competitive play. I can’t see it from the stands, nor from the stats. I’d love to see the '10-'11 Union team play against the, say, '08-'09 Union team….it’d probably be a close game, with Day providing the win! I really don’t think there’d be a huge difference between the two Assano teams.

And finally, dear ol’ Hux weighs in…thanks for joining this thread. Re: OnMaa “I have to agree. While the "results" don't show in the win column, the scores are a pretty good indicator of the progress Coach Asano is making.” Scores, s’mores. I’ve seen nothing so far that shows progress on the part of this still-rookie coach, just some good individual offensive shots, that resulted in closer scores than previous years—but the (little) scoring is so spread out across players, and across time (look how many periods go by without a scoring shot, how many minutes go by without any shots). “Next season they have a blue chip goalie recruit and will likely attract a few other top level players”. Since you seem to continue to have an inside line on what’s happening at Union, can’t you please answer my original question: Did Assano get a one- or three- year contract renewal? And please, if you hear anything about COACH RECUITING SUCCESS coming down the line at Union, let us know!. Thanks.

And thanks to all of you who wrote or read this thread. Let’s go U!
                            I heard that Claudia got a 4 year renewal!

Comment

Flarrow....You sound frustrated, but all folks i've talked all say Union is much improved. Like with any building program, changes do not occurr overnight, and as I said before Union has more challenges than most school recruiting.

As far as you lamenting them always being badly outshot......... They outshot Brown last night and gained a tie in the process. I'd say that is a step in the positive direction.

Comment

Working...
                              X