Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AJ hits the Hall of Fame this weekend!! Congrats!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJ hits the Hall of Fame this weekend!! Congrats!

From grim beginnings, a Hall of Fame career
    Published On Wed Nov 3 2010

On Monday, Canada's Angela James, above, and American Cammi Granato will become the first women to be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

By Randy Starkman
    Olympic Sports Reporter

This isn’t a fairytale Canadian hockey story of backyard rinks made by Dad.

There was no Dad.

Angela James was the youngest of her single mom Donna’s five kids, and it was a struggle just to buy milk, never mind equipment. Her power skating coach was a deaf man whose powerful strides she emulated on the local shinny rink without him knowing it.

James has a date with history on Monday, becoming along with American Cammi Granato the first women to be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Often referred to as the Wayne Gretzky of women’s hockey, she will have a spot in the same shrine as The Great One.

But she took a drastically different route there.

James grew up in the crime-ridden housing project of Flemingdon Park. Asked to describe what it was like over a coffee in her old neighbourhood this week, she rhymes off a laundry list of dangers.

“Yes, there was sport, but there was a lot of drugs and alcohol ... a lot of stabbings and for sure lots of murderers, psychopaths, the Valentine killer was in my era there, there were guys killed over poker games, there was David Todd, who killed his wife and put her in a freezer,” James says.

“When you think back then, it’s pretty dramatic when you go on a class trip down to the police museum and they say, ‘Here is the freezer where the skin tissue remains of David Todd, who killed his wife.’ In the meantime, kids from that community are right there going ‘Omigod.’”

Her ability to rise above her surroundings to become the most dominant player in women’s hockey for nearly two decades starting in the late 1970s is nothing short of inspirational.

But there’s no mention of it anywhere in the arena that now bears her name. There was a ceremony in June, 2009 to change the name of Flemingdon Arena to Angela James Arena, but there’s no plaque telling visitors anything about James or even a photograph.

A group of kids wandering by the rink as James was being interviewed this week by a Hockey Night in Canada crew while standing right under the sign bearing her name had no clue who she was.

“Hey CBC!” shouted one, “Whatcha doin’ here?”

James was such a dominating force that opponents had to know where she was on the ice at all times. The Gretzky reference aside, her Hall of Fame biography notes she had a combination of Mark Messier’s aggressiveness and Mike Bossy’s sniping skill. She helped Canada to four women’s world championships, scoring 11 goals in five games at the inaugural event in Ottawa in 1990.

But getting cut from the Canadian team headed to the women’s hockey debut at the 1998 Nagano Olympics was a controversial decision that stings to this day.

“How could it not?” James says.

The women wore pink sweaters at that first world championship, but James specialized more in black and blue. She was a physical player, one of her trademarks the way she grunted on the ice.

It’s only in reminiscing that James realizes the grunting originated because of the deaf man.

“We played shinny hockey outside and there was a gentleman in his 40s, a deaf man, and he was a phenomenal skater, he could stickhandle and he could really read the game,” James says. “I can sort of picture him right now. I would kind of follow him, see what he would do and emulate him. And he used to grunt.”

James admits she was no angel growing up. She and her friends stole milk from the Dominion store and also regularly pilfered from the local Margaret’s Donuts and Coke factories. She also experimented with drugs and alcohol.

“I experienced a lot of that stuff growing up as well,” she says. “I was very fortunate that I didn’t get caught up in it. Some of our friends did.”

When the arena was re-named for her two years ago, one of the themes of her speech that day was, “Never forget where you come from, but you can always change where you’re going.”

“My roots are Flemingdon Park, but it doesn’t mean what we were exposed to is how we have to live in the future,” says James, a longtime sports co-ordinator at Seneca College. “We can always change, change our destiny, change who we are.”

Re: AJ hits the Hall of Fame this weekend!! Congrats!

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
    From grim beginnings, a Hall of Fame career
    Published On Wed Nov 3 2010

On Monday, Canada's Angela James, above, and American Cammi Granato will become the first women to be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

By Randy Starkman
    Olympic Sports Reporter

This isn’t a fairytale Canadian hockey story of backyard rinks made by Dad.

There was no Dad.

Angela James was the youngest of her single mom Donna’s five kids, and it was a struggle just to buy milk, never mind equipment. Her power skating coach was a deaf man whose powerful strides she emulated on the local shinny rink without him knowing it.

James has a date with history on Monday, becoming along with American Cammi Granato the first women to be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Often referred to as the Wayne Gretzky of women’s hockey, she will have a spot in the same shrine as The Great One.

But she took a drastically different route there.

James grew up in the crime-ridden housing project of Flemingdon Park. Asked to describe what it was like over a coffee in her old neighbourhood this week, she rhymes off a laundry list of dangers.

“Yes, there was sport, but there was a lot of drugs and alcohol ... a lot of stabbings and for sure lots of murderers, psychopaths, the Valentine killer was in my era there, there were guys killed over poker games, there was David Todd, who killed his wife and put her in a freezer,” James says.

“When you think back then, it’s pretty dramatic when you go on a class trip down to the police museum and they say, ‘Here is the freezer where the skin tissue remains of David Todd, who killed his wife.’ In the meantime, kids from that community are right there going ‘Omigod.’”

Her ability to rise above her surroundings to become the most dominant player in women’s hockey for nearly two decades starting in the late 1970s is nothing short of inspirational.

But there’s no mention of it anywhere in the arena that now bears her name. There was a ceremony in June, 2009 to change the name of Flemingdon Arena to Angela James Arena, but there’s no plaque telling visitors anything about James or even a photograph.

A group of kids wandering by the rink as James was being interviewed this week by a Hockey Night in Canada crew while standing right under the sign bearing her name had no clue who she was.

“Hey CBC!” shouted one, “Whatcha doin’ here?”

James was such a dominating force that opponents had to know where she was on the ice at all times. The Gretzky reference aside, her Hall of Fame biography notes she had a combination of Mark Messier’s aggressiveness and Mike Bossy’s sniping skill. She helped Canada to four women’s world championships, scoring 11 goals in five games at the inaugural event in Ottawa in 1990.

But getting cut from the Canadian team headed to the women’s hockey debut at the 1998 Nagano Olympics was a controversial decision that stings to this day.

“How could it not?” James says.

The women wore pink sweaters at that first world championship, but James specialized more in black and blue. She was a physical player, one of her trademarks the way she grunted on the ice.

It’s only in reminiscing that James realizes the grunting originated because of the deaf man.

“We played shinny hockey outside and there was a gentleman in his 40s, a deaf man, and he was a phenomenal skater, he could stickhandle and he could really read the game,” James says. “I can sort of picture him right now. I would kind of follow him, see what he would do and emulate him. And he used to grunt.”

James admits she was no angel growing up. She and her friends stole milk from the Dominion store and also regularly pilfered from the local Margaret’s Donuts and Coke factories. She also experimented with drugs and alcohol.

“I experienced a lot of that stuff growing up as well,” she says. “I was very fortunate that I didn’t get caught up in it. Some of our friends did.”

When the arena was re-named for her two years ago, one of the themes of her speech that day was, “Never forget where you come from, but you can always change where you’re going.”

“My roots are Flemingdon Park, but it doesn’t mean what we were exposed to is how we have to live in the future,” says James, a longtime sports co-ordinator at Seneca College. “We can always change, change our destiny, change who we are.”
    That is a great peace. She is also pictured in multiple images on this years OWHA handbook that goes out to every team in Ontario. A fitting tribute. I sill recall the Pink Maple Leaf Sweaters in Ottawa at the Civic Centre. Hard to believe that is 20 years ago.

Comment

Angela James and Cammi Granato prepare to make history in Hockey Hall of Fame

She’s had weeks to get used to the idea, but Angela James still feels overwhelmed by her upcoming induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

“I sit back and think ‘Why is this happening to me?’” the former Canadian women’s team forward said in a recent interview from Toronto. “I’m just a kid from the projects. I’m just a goof. That’s what I tell my friends. They say ‘You’re not a goof,’ and I say ‘I’m a goof.’

“I think it just can’t get any better than this. The heart rate keeps elevating the closer we get to this day, that’s for sure.”

James and former U.S. women’s team captain Cammi Granato will be the first women inducted into the Hall in downtown Toronto on Monday.

Former NHL player Dino Ciccarelli, of Sarnia, will also be inducted. Detroit Red Wings executive Jim Devellano and the late Daryl (Doc) Seaman, one of the founders of the Calgary Flames, will enter in the builder category.

The Hall of Fame established separate induction criteria for women this year, which paved the way for James and Granato. A maximum of two women, in addition to up to four men, can be inducted as players each year.

The Hall’s all-male 18-member selection committee had different eras of women’s hockey from which to choose their first women. They selected players representing the years just before and during the sport’s entry into the Olympics.

“We did whatever it took to get our game on the map,” James said. “If that meant we had to kick and scream and fight and do whatever it took to get to where we wanted to go, that era of girls, we did that.”

James, 45, was a controversial omission from Canada’s 1998 Olympic women’s team. The power forward from Richmond Hill, was a dominant player earlier that decade both domestically and internationally.

She was top scorer for eight seasons and MVP for six in the Central Ontario Women’s League. James was also MVP at eight Canadian women’s championships. She recorded 34 points for Canada in 20 games over the first four world championships in 1990, 1992, 1994 and 1997.

Granato was front and centre in her sport’s debut in the ‘98 Olympics. She was the American captain when the U.S. won the first Olympic gold awarded in the sport.

The 39-year-old from Downers Grove, Ill., is the only woman to participate in each of the first nine women’s world championships sanctioned by the International Ice Hockey Federation. Granato remains the all-time leader in goals and points for the U.S. in world championships.

James started out playing hockey on outdoor rinks in Toronto’s Flemingdon Park. She recalls skating with a deaf man and mimicking his stride as an eight-year-old. Then she would go to the indoor arena and watch some of the women who played then.

“It was a great area to grow up. Everybody was poor and on welfare kind of thing,” she recalled. “We would find a pair of skates as best as we could. I started off in boys’ house league there, and from that point on kept playing year after year.”

Her introduction to hockey was different than that of Granato, who grew up with older brothers who had hockey scholarships to U.S. schools. Tony Granato went on to play and coach in the NHL.

The Granato boys shared their knowledge with their younger sister, whose secret dream was to play for the Chicago Blackhawks. She remembers Tony returning from a U.S. development camp with a weight vest and showing her how to do plyometrics in their yard.

“I had it right at my fingertips all the time,” she said. “We would make highlight videos of goals and would watch Wayne Gretzky’s top 10 goals.

“They treated me like an equal. I was a little sister, but I was also a hockey player and they accepted that and really helped me grow as a player.”

Like James, Granato is still stunned by her induction. After years of watching men go into the Hall, she can’t believe her face will hang alongside players such as Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr.

“The Hockey Hall of Fame was made for legends,” she said from Vancouver, where she lives with husband and former NHL player Ray Ferraro. “It was a place you go to visit to see the legends of hockey, your idols.

“To know you are being inducted into that club is just hard to wrap your head around. It gives me chills to think about it.”

Granato knows some of the disappointment James felt about not playing in the 1998 Olympics. Coach Ben Smith’s decision to leave her off the 2006 Olympic team was shocking, especially because the Americans were upset in the semifinal by Sweden and settled for bronze.

Granato considered returning to the national team when Mark Johnson took over as coach. She was entering her late 30s by then and had to decide between having a second child or continuing her hockey career. Granato chose to have another baby. She and Ferraro have two sons, one three and the other almost a year old, and Granato is also stepmother to Ferraro’s two sons.

The hockey she plays now is on her knees with mini-sticks as three-year-old Riley aspires to play the game.

“And I’m really good,” Granato said. “I shoot the puck really hard.”

James is a sports co-ordinator at Seneca College, where she has worked for 24 years. She has three children, including twins, with partner Angela McDonald.

James has coached her 11-year-old son in minor hockey. Her five-year-old twins were in initiation hockey last winter. James still plays Monday night women’s pickup hockey with “the 40-and-over club,” as she calls it.

She and Granato will forever be joined as the first women who entered the Hall. They recall the grudging respect they had for each other in their playing days, as there are few rivalries as fierce as Canada and the U.S. in women’s hockey.

“She was the one player that when she was on the ice, you knew it,” Granato said of James. “She was pretty much unstoppable.

“I was intimidated by her. I remember beating her on a faceoff, which is tough to do. I turned around and thought ‘Yeah, I just beat her’ and whack, right across the back of my legs. She made me pay. She did not like to lose.”

Meanwhile, James recalls having her head on a swivel to keep track of the fleet-footed, skilled Granato.

“That was the one player we had to key on and make sure she didn’t get loose,” James said. “She was definitely their leader. She was the backbone, the catalyst of the U.S. team during the time I was playing against her.

“To say the least, we didn’t like her. We had to chop her down a little bit every chance we got.”

The Canadian Press

Comment

Seymore, thank you for sharing those great stories about two pioneers in the women's game. I think it's great that the HHoF is now inducting women. Can't wait to see who they induct in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
          Seymore, thank you for sharing those great stories about two pioneers in the women's game. I think it's great that the HHoF is now inducting women. Can't wait to see who they induct in the future.
          My bet for the next inductee would be Goyette.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
            My bet for the next inductee would be Goyette.
            My bet would be her, or Geraldine Heaney.

Here's the TSN take on the festivities:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=32708

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
              My bet would be her, or Geraldine Heaney.
              Agreed, had her in mind as well. Who would be the next candidate on the US side ?.

Comment

Agreed, had her in mind as well. Who would be the next candidate on the US side ?.
                No one jumps out who's better than these two...sorry...too many veteran Canadians that should be considered.

Comment

How about Angela Ruggiero?

Comment

Originally posted by sd2011 View Post
                    Jenny Potter is a more quiet legacy, but very deserving, IMHO.
                    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Here's another neat story....they're all over the Toronto media today...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1788447/

Comment

Originally posted by sd2011 View Post
                        She is still playing. She will eventually get considered no doubt, just like Wickenheiser and the recently retired Campbell.

The Hall, however is for players that have been retired for a while, so you gotta look for candidates that played in the 90's up until the mid 2000's.

Comment

Working...
                        X