DU and CC - The Gold Pan Rivalry Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DU and CC - The Gold Pan Rivalry Continues

I know we are all concerned about Jesse Martin and his recovery but DU still has a home and home series with rival CC this coming weekend with Friday's game in Denver and Saturday's in Colorado Springs. I set this thread up so we can talk some hockey and let Jesse's thread have a life of its own. So far DU's young team has pretty much met expectations going 3-3-2 in its first 8 games against all NCAA tourney participants. DU is 2-1-1 in WCHA play with the split last weekend in North Dakota and a 3-point weekend at home against Wisconsin the week before. CC has not been having as much success as they are 3-4-1 overall and only 1-3-0 in league play. They were swept handily at home by Minnesota last weekend. Their only other league series was a split on the road against unranked Minnesota State. DU will likely be without 6 of their players with 5 being injured or ill and freshman Justin Jones has yet to be cleared by the NCAA according to Gwoz. Besides Jesse Martin, the injured/ill players inlcude Dusty Jackson (mono), Adam Murray (groin), Paul Phillips (surgery for nosebleeds) and Nick Shore (wrist). I am sure Gwoz will have an update on the injuries in his noon press conference today on Pioneer Vision at www.denverpioneers.com.

Friday nights game at Magness Arena is being televised on FSN Rocky Mountain and FCS Pacific at 7:30 PM MT. There is no TV or DU webcast of Saturday night's game in Colorado Springs.
    Last edited by du78; 11-02-2010, 09:01 AM.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Re: DU and CC - The Gold Pan Rivalry Continues

Honestly, the whole Martin sitaution has put a serious damper on the DU/CC games.

I expect DU will be fired up to play for their fallen comrade, and Magness arena will have emotion in the building.

That said, DU is now down about 5 regulars to injury or illness, and any lineup missing that many guys is just not the same team. CC is struggling a bit, and hasn't played a lot of great teams yet, but they usually bring their A game to Magness, and the Pios will need to channel emotions and play responsible hockey with a depleted lineup and guys stepping up. The Pios obviously need to be aware of the Schwartz brothers at all times. Jaden, especially, is a fantastic freshman, and will probably become the next Pio killer if Denver doesn't play him tightly.

With all the emotion and injuries around the Denver team, I think focus will be far more difficult than usual. I can see the Pios winning in Magness for Jesse, but getting spanked in the Springs as the Pios are running on fumes right now after playing so many good teams with a depleted lineup.

Comment

Banner information for Friday night from MSBDU - I have ordered the banner for fans to sign before and during the game Friday night. Please stop by the table at the North Entrance to Magness and sign it. I will be sending it to Jesse on Saturday morning. The banner is 2'x 8' so there is plenty of room for everyone to send best wishes to #14.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Beat cc!
        GO DU !!!

Comment

Best wishes to Jesse Martin and his family during this difficult time.

I was surprised to learn about DU's overall injury situation. It makes it tough to make a prediction on this one, but I'll do it anyway: Pioneers Sweep. CC has the worst D-Corp in WCHA--tired of hearing CC fans talk about Ryan Lowery--he sucks. He turns the puck over more than any senior should, including last weekend, which lead to two MN goals.
          DU Sucks (Ontological State of Being) just not as much as CC does under Scotty Owens right now.

FIRE SCOTTY OWENS!!!!

Comment

As one, who has studied his fair share of theology and philosophy, I find your comment about "ontological state of being" redundant. The definition of ontology is derived from the Greek "ὄν", and in this case would be phrased in the genitive "ὄντος." As such, ontology literally means "of or pertaining to being." Your comment reads "of being state of being" and, is therefore, stupid. This grammatical faux paus on your part, should come as no surprise to those who are familiar with your posts, as most them, are also stupid. The only thing you have right in this post are your good wishes for Jesse Martin and his family.

Originally posted by LackofSuCCess View Post
            Best wishes to Jesse Martin and his family during this difficult time.

I was surprised to learn about DU's overall injury situation. It makes it tough to make a prediction on this one, but I'll do it anyway: Pioneers Sweep. CC has the worst D-Corp in WCHA--tired of hearing CC fans talk about Ryan Lowery--he sucks. He turns the puck over more than any senior should, including last weekend, which lead to two MN goals.
            DU Sucks (Ontological State of Being) just not as much as CC does under Scotty Owens right now.

FIRE SCOTTY OWENS!!!!
            Last edited by JoeBair; 11-02-2010, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I would like to know what qualifies you to make a statement about a player sucking? Did you play 115 college hockey games?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBair View Post
                As one, who has studied his fair share of theology and philosophy, I find your comment about "ontological state of being" redundant. The definition of ontology is derived from the Greek "ὄν", and in this case would be phrased in the genitive "ὄντος." As such, ontology literally means "of or pertaining to being." Your comment reads "of being state of being" and, is therefore, stupid. This grammatical faux paus on your part, should come as no surprise to those who are familiar with your posts, as most them, are also stupid. The only thing you have right in this post are your good wishes for Jesse Martin and his family.
                Well said sir! The only one who should be fired is LackofSuCCess. Sure wish he/she would go away, or better yet, maybe after this weekend he/she will become a DU fan bringing their fanbase total to five.

Swami is on to something here, as chances are pretty good that Jaden Schwartz will be replacing Chad Rau as the next DU killer.

As many of you know Rylan and Jaden's sister Mandi Schwartz recently received a stem-cell transplant because of cancer and is in Seattle with parents Rick and Carol. Over the past year or so I've had the pleasure of becoming friends with Rick and Carol (I was born and raised in Seattle) and can tell you that last weekend was the first weekend that Rick and Carol visited Colorado to watch their two sons play. And Rick told me they plan on being at both games against DU this weekend. I'll continue to pray for:

1. Mandi Schwartz
                2. Jesse Martin
                3. CC sweeping DU

Go Tigers!!
                World Arena North (aka Magness Arena on the campus of Denver State University) where the Colorado College Tigers are 17-11-5 all time against the Metro State Pioneers. Thank you Denver Roadrunners for building a second home for CC!!

World Arena North lives on!! Go Tigers!!

CC Tiger fans join us at: http://cctigerhockey.yuku.com

Comment

Originally posted by CCtig View Post
                  Well said sir! The only one who should be fired is LackofSuCCess. Sure wish he/she would go away, or better yet, maybe after this weekend he/she will become a DU fan bringing their fanbase total to five.
                  Exactly. If he/she doesn't like it then get a new team because we don't want him or her to be a CC fan anymore. Better yet don't be a fan of any team. We don't need that kind of negativity in this sport.

Comment

Gwoz held his weekly press conference this afternoon. Obviously most of it was spent on talking about Jesse Martin. The video of the press conference is in both the All Things DU and Jesse Martin threads. He did address this weekend's games, that DU is preparing for them and had a good practice yesterday. He indicated that Adam Murray, Dusty Jackson and Paul Phillips have been cleared to begin skating. Dusty is definitely out for the coming weekend along with Nick Shore. He doesn't know if Adam or Paul will be available to play.

Comment

By the way! Someone please tell me Todd (CO14ers) will be at the game this Friday? I miss that guy, and have already been to a game at World Arena North this season only to find he was a no show!

Oh that reminds me, so while at the Wisconsin vs DU game recently wearing my CC jersey and CC cap I ended up close enough to the DU student section (for a few minutes) to catch their attention. At which time the entire DU student section stands up and starts cheering CC sucks...CC sucks, and it is so loud that everyone at World Arena North is looking at each other wondering why when playing Wisconsin do the students say CC sucks?

DU fans, where is the pre-game party at this Friday? Maybe KSCANT will invite me!!

Is Goddard going to fly in from Houston for this series?
                      World Arena North (aka Magness Arena on the campus of Denver State University) where the Colorado College Tigers are 17-11-5 all time against the Metro State Pioneers. Thank you Denver Roadrunners for building a second home for CC!!

Comment

Originally posted by dave29 View Post
                        Exactly. If he/she doesn't like it then get a new team because we don't want him or her to be a CC fan anymore. Better yet don't be a fan of any team. We don't need that kind of negativity in this sport.
                        Dave, not sure if you know this or not, but Mrs. Lowery and I are pretty tight, I have her e-mail address and she would be very upset to hear this garbage from lackOFafan!

While he/she is being negative, I am working on a dinner date with Mr. and Mrs. Lowery for 9 Dec in St. Cloud, Minnesota before our Tigers take on the Huskies. Some Tiger fans, like this one, will travel a 1,000 miles (and pay a $1,000) just to watch them play on the road and to support the CC Tiger hockey program.

Tigers sweep the Pioneers,
                        Friday at World Arena North 4-2
                        Saturday at World Arena South 5-1

Go Tigers!
                        Last edited by CCtig; 11-02-2010, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Don't know where the pregame bar is going to be, but pre-game tailgate is at the south entrance, much like every Saturday game. DU Grilling Society will be there with, among other things, tiger shrimp (closest we can get to real tiger). It's always free, begrudgingly to CC fans I suppose. They just need to recognize that 7 is more than 2, or answer whether or not they were alive when CC last won a title.

Let's all make sure the environment is as prime as can be for the best tribute to Jesse and the team, and the college hockey community at large. Everyone wear white!

Go Pioneers!
                          University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
                          Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

In honor of the tremendous sportsmanship that Jesse Martin showed this week in reaching out to UND's Brad Malone, I've decided to not say anything snarky about CCtig or the Colorado College team, former players, coaches, alumni, students and fanbase.....until tomorrow. I encourage others to follow Jesse's lead. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                              In honor of the tremendous sportsmanship that Jesse Martin showed this week in reaching out to UND's Brad Malone, I've decided to not say anything snarky about CCtig or the Colorado College team, former players, coaches, alumni, students and fanbase.....until tomorrow. I encourage others to follow Jesse's lead. :-)
                              OK. That's not bad, it's only 7 hours until tomorrow. For Jesse.

To Randy, Tig, and even Dave57--

Hugs and kisses, sparkles and unicorns for my CC brethren!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X