PDA

View Full Version : Too early for the PWR? Princeton and Brown say no!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36

irishfan85
03-19-2011, 11:42 PM
So who do you agree with Priceless? Wodon or Moy?

du78
03-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Interesting that of the 30 final TUC teams, 10 are in the WCHA, only 2 teams in the league didn't make the TUC cut; Minnesota State and MTU. HE has 5, ECAC has 6, CCHA has 6 and AHA has 3.

Priceless
03-19-2011, 11:49 PM
So who do you agree with Priceless? Wodon or Moy?

Neither :p

Bridgeport Manchester St Louis Green Bay
Yale Miami Boston Coll North Dakota
Union Merrimack Denver Michigan
W Michigan UNO Notre Dame UMD
Air Force UNH CC RPI

My bracket is built for attendance, bracket integrity be dammed. It's also fewer flights (10 v 11, but that's still a lot of money). We also just saw Denver/UND and BC/Merrimack, so I wouldn't mind some change.
I have a jaded view of the NCAA when it comes to money, but they have rarely proven me wrong. They have a great chance in 11 hours :)

redwings8831
03-19-2011, 11:53 PM
Neither :p

Bridgeport Manchester St Louis Green Bay
Yale Miami Boston Coll North Dakota
Union Merrimack Denver Michigan
W Michigan UNO Notre Dame UMD
Air Force UNH CC RPI

My bracket is built for attendance, bracket integrity be dammed. It's also fewer flights (10 v 11, but that's still a lot of money). We also just saw Denver/UND and BC/Merrimack, so I wouldn't mind some change.
I have a jaded view of the NCAA when it comes to money, but they have rarely proven me wrong. They have a great chance in 11 hours :)

I have same bracket as you do. And besides the top 2 seed playing the top 3 seed, bracket integrity in the other matchups isn't that crazy.

Bridgeport: 1-16, 8-10 (only one off from 8-9)
Green Bay: 2-15, 5-9
St. Louis: 3-14, 7-11 (only one off from 6-11)
Manchester: 4-13, 6-12 (only one off from 5-12)

Craig P.
03-19-2011, 11:57 PM
My bracket is built for attendance, bracket integrity be dammed.

It's built to push attendance in Green Bay at the cost of completely turfing attendance in St. Louis. I don't think ND can carry a regional, and I don't think the committee will think so either.

If they can get UND/tUMD into Green Bay and Michigan/UNO into St. Louis, I think that's the ideal attendance-wise. The second is easy to do. UND is easy to get into Green Bay, but I'm not sure it's practical to get tUMD in there too. It could be done if you're willing to ship Union out to Green Bay, though... then you get the same as I originally predicted except that Bridgeport is Yale/AFA, DU/WMU and Green Bay is UND/RPI, Union/tUMD.

JB
But all this debate about the hypothetical Denver win bracket is rendered moot, and we're left with this:

<b>Bridgeport</b>
1. Yale
8. Union
9. Minnesota-Duluth
16. Air Force

<b>Green Bay</b>
2. North Dakota
7. Denver
10. Western Michigan
15. Rensselaer

<b>St. Louis</b>
3. Boston College
5. Michigan
12. Nebraska-Omaha
14. Colorado College

<b>Manchester</b>
4. Miami
6. Merrimack
11. Notre Dame
13. New Hampshire

(Bracket powers are 34 across the board... doesn't get flatter than that.)

It wont happen, but I personally hate interconference second round games too, particularly if they just happened in the conference semis or finals, and would love to see a more national feel to the tournament.

In Manchester Miami and Notre Dame and MC and UNH just played. Same thing with Denver and UND playing tonight. So I would swap Denver and MC. That still is a problem with Notre Dame and Miami. The problem is just the way the pairs line up currently. So potentially swap, 8&9 with 6&11 and then swap Denver and MC.

Admittedly this is far from balanced, and I tryed to figure out how to keep MC east. But now the conference teams are spread out. I don't care if a one conference frozen happens it just bugs me when we see repeat playoff games two weeks in a row. Since I just watched as many of those as humanly possible, and I want new match-ups to watch next week.

<b>Bridgeport</b>
1. Yale
7. Denver
11. Notre Dame
16. Air Force

<b>Green Bay</b>
2. North Dakota
6. Merrimack
10. Western Michigan
15. Rensselaer

<b>St. Louis</b>
3. Boston College
5. Michigan
12. Nebraska-Omaha
14. Colorado College

<b>Manchester</b>
4. Miami
8. Union
9. Minnesota-Duluth
13. New Hampshire

J.D.
But all this debate about the hypothetical Denver win bracket is rendered moot, and we're left with this:

<b>Bridgeport</b>
1. Yale
8. Union
9. Minnesota-Duluth
16. Air Force

<b>Green Bay</b>
2. North Dakota
7. Denver
10. Western Michigan
15. Rensselaer

<b>St. Louis</b>
3. Boston College
5. Michigan
12. Nebraska-Omaha
14. Colorado College

<b>Manchester</b>
4. Miami
6. Merrimack
11. Notre Dame
13. New Hampshire

(Bracket powers are 34 across the board... doesn't get flatter than that.)

Adam Wodon:

Bridgeport
1. Yale vs. 16. RIT
8. Union vs. 9. Minnesota-Duluth

St. Louis
3. Boston College vs. 14. Colorado College
6. Merrimack vs. 11. Notre Dame

Manchester
4. Miami vs. 13. New Hampshire
5. Michigan vs. 12. Nebraska-Omaha

Green Bay
2. North Dakota vs. 15. Rensselaer
7. Denver vs. 10. Western Michigan

Edit: Not sure how he gets RIT in there :p

Agree with Moy on this one. Not sure what Wodon is smoking sending Merrimack to St. Louis when you don't have to.

Craig P.
03-20-2011, 12:02 AM
JB, I agree with you, but the committee has completely ignored the potential for conference tourney rematches in the NCAA tournament in recent years (aside from the no-intra-conference-in-round-one rule).

(In fact, after the four-WCHA-Frozen-Four a few years back, I think the committee is not at all unhappy about sacrificing a little variety in the regionals to get a little more variety in the showcase event.)

Priceless
03-20-2011, 12:05 AM
It's built to push attendance in Green Bay at the cost of completely turfing attendance in St. Louis. I don't think ND can carry a regional, and I don't think the committee will think so either.

I don't think they can either, but once again we're talking about the NCAA's darlings. The reflection off those golden domes can blind them.

JB
03-20-2011, 12:07 AM
JB, I agree with you, but the committee has completely ignored the potential for conference tourney rematches in the NCAA tournament in recent years (aside from the no-intra-conference-in-round-one rule).

(In fact, after the four-WCHA-Frozen-Four a few years back, I think the committee is not at all unhappy about sacrificing a little variety in the regionals to get a little more variety in the showcase event.)

Yup, I know, what I have done wont happen. One can dream.

Personally I would rather a two super regional format (would fix attendance issues, fewer host schools hence issues, potential to use bigger venues). Biggest plus I can see more games live. Two games day 1, two games day 2, 2 games day 3 (winners day 1 early game). See in my tournament it is all about me...

Priceless
03-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Yup, I know, what I have done wont happen. One can dream.

Personally I would rather a two super regional format (would fix attendance issues, fewer host schools hence issues, potential to use bigger venues). Biggest plus I can see more games live. Two games day 1, two games day 2, 2 games day 3 (winners day 1 early game). See in my tournament it is all about me...

Oh if only...

du78
03-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Here is this year's committee

Selection Committee: Bob Driscoll, Providence athletic director (chair); Sean Frazier, Wisconsin associate athletic director; Tom Nevala, Notre Dame associate athletic director; Guy Gadowsky, Princeton coach; Col. William Walker, Air Force deputy athletic director.

Nowheresville
03-20-2011, 12:17 AM
I tend to agree with Moy's bracket, but thinking that the NCAA could decide that a "flight is a flight" and force North Dakota out east instead of Miami, who would be driving to St.Louis, I came up with this.

Bridgeport - Yale, Union, UNO, AF
Manchester - North Dakota, Merrimack, Notre Dame, NH
Green Bay - BC, Michigan, UMD, RPI
St. Louis - Miami, Denver, Western Mich, CC

I guess Notre Dame/Western Mich could be switched too if Kalamazoo is a flight to St. Louis, and South Bend isn't and/or the NCAA just sees Notre Dame as a better drawn in St. Louis.

I wouldn't say this is likely, but if a flight really is a flight, I could see it happening. Plus, Michigan would get to save 100 miles of travel by going to their closest regional, and based on last year, that could again be the highest priority!

Craig P.
03-20-2011, 12:20 AM
I tend to agree with Moy's bracket, but thinking that the NCAA could decide that a "flight is a flight" and force North Dakota out east instead of Miami, who would be driving to St.Louis

Very perceptive, and you're right! Oxford is a drive to St. Louis, and the NCAA has a precedent for placing a better #1 seed in a "worse" location in situations where a flight is a flight.

It's a much more important consideration for the #1s than for anybody else.

Priceless
03-20-2011, 12:22 AM
I tend to agree with Moy's bracket, but thinking that the NCAA could decide that a "flight is a flight" and force North Dakota out east instead of Miami, who would be driving to St.Louis, I came up with this.

Bridgeport - Yale, Union, UNO, AF
Manchester - North Dakota, Merrimack, Notre Dame, NH
Green Bay - BC, Michigan, UMD, RPI
St. Louis - Miami, Denver, Western Mich, CC

I guess Notre Dame/Western Mich could be switched too if Kalamazoo is a flight to St. Louis, and South Bend isn't and/or the NCAA just sees Notre Dame as a better drawn in St. Louis.

I wouldn't say this is likely, but if a flight really is a flight, I could see it happening. Plus, Michigan would get to save 100 miles of travel by going to their closest regional, and based on last year, that could again be the highest priority!

Notre Dame is the only western school that is within driving range of both sites. Western is drivable to Green Bay.

Nowheresville
03-20-2011, 12:29 AM
Notre Dame is the only western school that is within driving range of both sites. Western is drivable to Green Bay.

Is the cut-off exactly 400 miles? Looks like Western would be just over that threshold to St. Louis, but only by about 20 miles.

Craig P.
03-20-2011, 12:31 AM
This is my revised prediction for Miami staying at home in St. Louis. I could see the committee maybe swapping Michigan into the Green Bay bracket if they think UNO and Miami are enough to carry St. Louis and Green Bay needs help.

<b>Bridgeport</b>
1. Yale
7. Denver
10. Western Michigan
16. Air Force

<b>Manchester</b>
2. North Dakota
6. Merrimack
11. Notre Dame
13. New Hampshire

<b>Green Bay</b>
3. Boston College
8. Union
9. Minnesota-Duluth
15. Rensselaer

<b>St. Louis</b>
4. Miami
5. Michigan
12. Nebraska-Omaha
14. Colorado College

berbs91
03-20-2011, 12:44 AM
Bridgeport
1. Yale vs. 4. Air Force
2. Union vs. 3. Minnesota-Duluth

St. Louis
1. Miami vs. 4. Nebraska-Omaha
2. Merrimack vs. 3. Notre Dame

Manchester
1. Boston College vs. 4. Colorado College
2. Michigan vs. 3. UNH

Green Bay
1. North Dakota vs. 4. RPI
2. Denver vs. 3. Western Michigan

Craig P.
03-20-2011, 12:53 AM
That bracket has some of things that the committee <em>does not do</em>. In particular, they consider a team's seeding band to be sacrosanct. Nebraska-Omaha is a #3, UNH is a #4, and that's not going to change.

Onion Man
03-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Here's my bracket prediction: Manchester Regional: Yale/ New Hampshire & Merrimack/ Notre Dame, St. Louis Regional: Miami/CC & Michigan/Omaha. The winners of these regionals would meet at Frozen Four. Green Bay Regional: N. Dakota/RPI & Denver/W. Michigan, Bridgeport Regional: BC/Air Force & Union/UMD with the Green Bay winner meeting the Bridgeport winner in St Paul.

fail