Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too early for the PWR? Princeton and Brown say no!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Too early for the PWR? Princeton and Brown say no!

This has ways for 5 ECAC teams to get in - so I guess the answer to the Dartmouth question is - Yes !

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ampionship.php

It looks like Miami has a clear path to a No. 1 seed. That works for me.

Comment

I asked this question on the ecac pick em thread and have not received an answer. Is the ecac third place game allowed to end in a tie? The PW predictor has that option so what say the experts?
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
        I asked this question on the ecac pick em thread and have not received an answer. Is the ecac third place game allowed to end in a tie? The PW predictor has that option so what say the experts?
        Yes, same for the CCHA third-place game. If it's tied at the end of regulation, they'll play a standard five-minute golden goal OT, and then the game will be over.
        Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
        Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
          Yes, same for the CCHA third-place game. If it's tied at the end of regulation, they'll play a standard five-minute golden goal OT, and then the game will be over.
          golden goal is a soccer term (and a really lame one, at that). Sudden Death is the preferred term, even if "sudden victory" is the official NCAA one.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
            golden goal is a soccer term (and a really lame one, at that). Sudden Death is the preferred term, even if "sudden victory" is the official NCAA one.
            I think golden goal is a better term, which is the reason I adopted it from soccer. Sudden death is rather morose and focuses on the defeat, rather than the victory.

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Sudden death works for me, because the game stops once the goal is scored, whereas in soccer, you keep going until the period(s) is/are over.

Comment

Sudden death is rather morose and focuses on the defeat, rather than the victory.
                Yet it was the standard nomenclature for decades before the NCAA agreed with your premise and changed it to "sudden victory" for no reason other than to change the name.

The soccer version is simply weak, though still preferable to "sudden victory," I'll grant you that.

As an analogy, I think we should change the name of the goalkeeper in soccer to goalpreventer - as he doesn't try to keep the ball in the net, but prevent it from getting in there. "Handsman" would also be acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Sudden death works for me, because the game stops once the goal is scored, whereas in soccer, you keep going until the period(s) is/are over.
                  That kind of soccer overtime isn't golden goal. They had a brief interlude where the thirty minute overtime before KFTM was golden goal (aka sudden death), but decided to can it because teams were playing too conservatively where conceding one goal would necessarily be the end of the match.

Comment

That kind of soccer overtime isn't golden goal. They had a brief interlude where the thirty minute overtime before KFTM was golden goal (aka sudden death), but decided to can it because teams were playing too conservatively where conceding one goal would necessarily be the end of the match.
                    I miss silver goal soccer

(Silver Goal = If you score in overtime, you play until the end of the half (in soccer, overtime is 2, 15 minute halves). It allows the team that got scored on to at least try to come back and tie before the end of the half (either first or second).)
                    North Dakota
                    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I posted my Final PWR predictions for UND yesterday, here's what I came up with for remaining PWR possibilities:

Team PWR Overall
                      Possible
                      Final
                      PWR
                      Likely (>1%)
                      Final
                      PWR
                      Yale 1 1 to 4 1 to 3
                      North Dakota 2 1 to 3 1 to 3
                      Boston College 3 1 to 4 1 to 4
                      Michigan 4 2 to 11 3 to 11
                      Miami 5 3 to 11 3 to 11
                      Denver 6 4 to 11 4 to 9
                      Minnesota-Duluth 7 4 to 11 4 to 11
                      Merrimack 8 4 to 11 4 to 11
                      Union 9 5 to 11 6 to 10
                      Notre Dame 10 4 to 15 4 to 14
                      New Hampshire 11 5 to 15 5 to 14
                      Western Michigan 12 10 to 19 10 to 19
                      Nebraska-Omaha 13 12 to 16 12 to 16
                      Colorado College 14 10 to 19 10 to 18
                      Dartmouth 15 10 to 22 11 to 21
                      Rensselaer 16 10 to 19 11 to 16
                      Boston University 17 13 to 19 14 to 18
                      Maine 18 13 to 20 15 to 19
                      Minnesota 19 17 to 21 18 to 20
                      Alaska Anchorage 20 12 to 23 12 to 22
                      St. Cloud State 21 19 to 26 20 to 24
                      Alaska 22 22 to 28 22 to 26

It would definitely be interesting to hear if anyone has found anything outside those ranges.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        Yet it was the standard nomenclature for decades before the NCAA agreed with your premise and changed it to "sudden victory" for no reason other than to change the name.

The soccer version is simply weak, though still preferable to "sudden victory," I'll grant you that.

As an analogy, I think we should change the name of the goalkeeper in soccer to goalpreventer - as he doesn't try to keep the ball in the net, but prevent it from getting in there. "Handsman" would also be acceptable.
                        Interestingly enough, the both the NCAA Rulebook and the NCAA Championship Handbook use "Sudden death" and not "Sudden victory". I don't know where the fad for calling it "sudden victory" comes from, but it is not the NCAA.

You are correct that the phrase "golden goal," which was invented by the International Federation of Association Football (FIFA) in 1993, was entirely appropriate for that sport and entirely inappropriate for college hockey, which had been using "sudden death" at least 84 years before that:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...649C946897D6CF

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
                          Interestingly enough, the both the NCAA Rulebook and the NCAA Championship Handbook use "Sudden death" and not "Sudden victory". I don't know where the fad for calling it "sudden victory" comes from, but it is not the NCAA.
                          Apparently hockey just isn't with the times, then, as lacrosse, wrestling, and soccer all refer to it as sudden victory in their respective NCAA rulebooks.

Comment

It is sudden death, anyone who uses a different term is a moron.

edit: and yes, I'm hoping that includes the entire idiotic soccer world
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post

In soccer, it used to be 2 overtime periods, then 2 sudden death overtime periods, and then penalty kicks. I blame the Clinton "feel good" era, like where in some leagues every kid gets a trophy.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post

Last time checked this is a hockey sight. Yes, no

Comment

Working...
                                X