Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too early for the PWR? Princeton and Brown say no!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Too early for the PWR? Princeton and Brown say no!

With Bemidji's sweep over UNO, did they lock themselves in as a TUC? If how can BC pass North Dakota?
    BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
    National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
    Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefan06 View Post
      With Bemidji's sweep over UNO, did they lock themselves in as a TUC? If how can BC pass North Dakota?
      Yes.

Quick answer: Have UND lose Friday night and BC win Hockey East.

Edit: BC can get the overall #1 if:
      BC wins the Hockey East championship;
      Colgate beats Union, then beats Yale in AC;
      North Dakota loses Friday.

They need a perfect storm.
      Last edited by Priceless; 03-13-2011, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefan06 View Post
        Priceless,

I love the work you do.

I have a question? How do teams such as Alaska, St. Cloud and even Bemidji remain as TUC when they can't be actually under consideration for the Tourney
        with a less than .500 winning pct. I realize Bemidji can get to .500 with 3 wins (which would automatically get them in).

Comment

Originally posted by frogtown_pond View Post
          Priceless,

I love the work you do.

I have a question? How do teams such as Alaska, St. Cloud and even Bemidji remain as TUC when they can't be actually under consideration for the Tourney
          with a less than .500 winning pct. I realize Bemidji can get to .500 with 3 wins (which would automatically get them in).
          The NCAA deems it so. They changed the formula to include teams with an RPI .5000 or greater. Logic and the NCAA rarely go hand in hand.

Comment

Bridgeport:

1. Yale
            2. Union
            3. Notre Dame
            4. RIT

Manchester:

1. BC
            2. Denver
            3. UNH
            4. Dartmouth

Green Bay:

1. North Dakota
            2. Merrimack
            3. Minnesota-Duluth
            4. Western Michigan

St. Louis

1. Michigan
            2. Miami
            3. Nebraska-Omaha
            4. Colorado Colege

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Yes.

Quick answer: Have UND lose Friday night and BC win Hockey East.

Edit: BC can get the overall #1 if:
              BC wins the Hockey East championship;
              Colgate beats Union, then beats Yale in AC;
              North Dakota loses Friday.

They need a perfect storm.
              If Quinippiac beats Cornell tonight, does Cornell fall out as a TUC? If so and Yale loses to a TUC next weekend BC could pass them in TUC and take the PWR comparison and thus pass Yale as well. It all depends if Cornell falls out as a TUC of course.
              Also does Union still have a chance to overturn their comparison with Yale or did that disolve with the loss to Colgate?
              Last edited by BC/HE; 03-13-2011, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                Bridgeport:

1. Yale
                2. Union
                3. Notre Dame
                4. RIT

Manchester:

1. BC
                2. Denver
                3. UNH
                4. Dartmouth

Green Bay:

1. North Dakota
                2. Merrimack
                3. Minnesota-Duluth
                4. Western Michigan

St. Louis

1. Michigan
                2. Miami
                3. Nebraska-Omaha
                4. Colorado Colege
                Those brackets do not look all that fair to me. I don't know what to switch but these do not appear balanced in terms of quality.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                  If Quinippiac beats Cornell tonight, does Cornell fall out as a TUC? If so and Yale loses to a TUC next weekend BC could pass them in TUC and take the PWR comparison and thus pass Yale as well. It all depends if Cornell falls out as a TUC of course.
                  Also does Union still have a chance to overturn their comparison with Yale or did that disolve with the loss to Colgate?
                  Yes. Their RPI would fall to .498 and they would be unable to climb back up. If Cornell wins, both will be TUC. The loss by Union precludes them from catching Yale's RPI if Yale loses tonight. Further, Union cannot flip the comparison via a H2H win because that could either come in the ECAC championship or the consolation. If the former, Yale will already have wrapped up the comparison by winning in the ECAC SF; if the latter Yale will already have won the comparison because Union lost in the ECAC SF.

Yale should forfeit tonight. I can't get them out of the #1 overall spot with a loss. On the other hand, if they were to advance and lose to Colgate, they could drop to #2 or #3 overall. If they were to lose to 2 TUC (instead of Colgate) they could also fall to #3. So the Bulldogs would be wise to go to the movies instead of the hockey rink tonight. Somehow, I don't think they will.

Comment

Important to note who else will be helped and hurt if Cornell falls out as a TUC:

Helps:
                    Rensselaer 2 losses
                    Dartmouth loss and tie

Hurts:
                    Yale 2 wins
                    Union 2 wins
                    UNH 1 win

Comment

Two questions on RPI: What's the actual difference in RPI between Rensselaer and Colorado College (obviously, less than 0.0001)?
                      What are the chances of Mankato becoming a TUC again with an RPI of 0.4982 and their season over? Since they played Denver 6 times this season, would DU (instead of one of the other six possible teams) winning the F5 improve their RPI?
                      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        Those brackets do not look all that fair to me. I don't know what to switch but these do not appear balanced in terms of quality.
                        Did you even look at the PWR?

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                          Two questions on RPI: What's the actual difference in RPI between Rensselaer and Colorado College (obviously, less than 0.0001)?
                          What are the chances of Mankato becoming a TUC again with an RPI of 0.4982 and their season over? Since they played Denver 6 times this season, would DU (instead of one of the other six possible teams) winning the F5 improve their RPI?
                          *grumble* I got Mankato to .5001 but don't have the exact scenario because we lost power while I was posting. I know that Denver has to win the WCHA and St. Lawrence has to win the ECAC.

Code:
                          CC	0.523430
                          RPI	0.523356

Comment

Has Union locked up a bid? If they win tonight, then lost twice would they still be in it?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              *grumble* I got Mankato to .5001 but don't have the exact scenario because we lost power while I was posting. I know that Denver has to win the WCHA and St. Lawrence has to win the ECAC.

Code:
                              CC	0.523430
                              RPI	0.523356
                              Well, we'd rather see SLU not win the ECAC tournament than see Mankato get back to a TUC, soooo... Thank you, Priceless.
                              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                Did you even look at the PWR?
                                Of course, but you have three ECAC teams and two are in the same bracket? You have three CCHA teams and two are in the same bracket? You have three Hockey East teams and two are in the same bracket? It doesn't make good sense just from a common sense perspective.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X