Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too early for the PWR? Princeton and Brown say no!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Too early for the PWR? Princeton and Brown say no!

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
    So, I am left wondering what your reasoning was for switching the #4 seeds, because there are no conflicts I see there. And, I am thinking that Union should face the lower seed, which would be Merrimack rather than UMD. There are no attendance problems here either. Anyway, I think I must be missing something, because you are usually right on it.
    I'm guessing the big thing was keeping Dartmouth in state and not putting them on a plane.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
      The bracketology is tough. There can be an all WCHA first-round game because the league gets 5 teams into the tournament. However, the NCAA has avoided this in the past and I have to assume they will again.

Code:
      Bridgeport	Manchester	St Louis	Green Bay
      Yale		Boston Coll	Michigan	North Dakota
      UNO		Denver		Miami		Union
      Notre Dame	UNH		Merrimack	MinnDuluth
      AHA Champ	Dartmouth	Minnesota	Maine

Priceless,
      Sorry you are a Maine homer. I am a Minnesota guy.
      Anyway, it seems to me the bracketology in this scenario would better go:

Code:
      UNO		Denver		Miami		Union
      Notre Dame	UNH		MinnDuluth	Merrimack
      AHA Champ	Minnesota	Maine 	        Dartmouth
      So, I am left wondering what your reasoning was for switching the #4 seeds, because there are no conflicts I see there. And, I am thinking that Union should face the lower seed, which would be Merrimack rather than UMD. There are no attendance problems here either. Anyway, I think I must be missing something, because you are usually right on it.

Thanks
      Flights (9 in my brackets, 11 in yours)
      Attendance in Green Bay. In your bracket, every team flies to Green Bay and only North Dakota is local (and they're 600 miles away). UMD is drivable and may bring some fans. Another option is to switch Michigan/Minn to Green Bay and send UND/Maine to St. Louis.

Edit: Trial and error...preview the post before posting it. Edit as needed. I've been doing these tables for a while so I have some idea where to add/delete spaces to get everything to line up. It still takes a few goes though...
      Last edited by Priceless; 03-08-2011, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Edit: Trial and error...preview the post before posting it. Edit as needed. I've been doing these tables for a while so I have some idea where to add/delete spaces to get everything to line up. It still takes a few goes though...
        Your tables have never lined up on my computer.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Your tables have never lined up on my computer.
          Probably a problem with the biological interface.

I just tried with Internet Exploder and Firefox and all the columns lined up. My default browser is Opera. I suspect the tables will look different on different computers.

Comment

The #1 seeds:

Yale (#1-#3) - The only way Yale loses the #1 overall seed is by winning this weekend and then losing twice to TUC teams (Union, Dartmouth, Cornell) at Atlantic City. Win one there and they are #1. They can also secure #1 overall if they lose this weekend. St. Lawrence cannot become a TUC even by winning the ECAC Championship. If they lose twice they can fall as far as third if BC and UND win their league titles.
            I believe there is another way thay can fall from #1 overall. If they lose to Colgate in the semifinals, BC would turn the COP in their favor. BC winning Hockey East may boost them enough to take over the RPI as well. Also should Cornell lose twice to Quinippiac this weekend they could fall out as a TUC and a single loss to a TUC may lose that comparison to BC as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
              I believe there is another way thay can fall from #1 overall. If they lose to Colgate in the semifinals, BC would turn the COP in their favor. BC winning Hockey East may boost them enough to take over the RPI as well. Also should Cornell lose twice to Quinippiac this weekend they could fall out as a TUC and a single loss to a TUC may lose that comparison to BC as well.
              Even moreso, I think Union can flip the comparison with Yale this weekend. COP is easy, RPI takes a little work. Here's a sample that gives Union a .0001 lead (that could clearly grow). I had to transcribe the results into TBRW format manually, so corrections welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                I'll admit that having the #12 seed in the ECAC Championship by winning 2 @Union and knocking off Yale in AC is not one of the scenarios I ran
                Continuing that track, NoDak can become #1 overall if that happens but BC fails to win the HEA tournament.

Originally posted by JimDahl View Post
                Even moreso, I think Union can flip the comparison with Yale this weekend. COP is easy, RPI takes a little work. Here's a sample that gives Union a .0001 lead (that could clearly grow). I had to transcribe the results into TBRW format manually, so corrections welcome.
                Union has to win the ECAC championship to remain ahead of Yale on RPI. If they lose either game they fall back behind.
                Series that are split 1-1 need to have a third game. I'm dying to know if Tech can pull off the miracle in game 3 in Grand Forks.

Comment

Union has to win the ECAC championship to remain ahead of Yale on RPI. If they lose either game they fall back behind.
                  Series that are split 1-1 need to have a third game. I'm dying to know if Tech can pull off the miracle in game 3 in Grand Forks.
                  Yeah, I said in the post on SiouxSports but failed to repeat here that I had run it out as far as this weekend's scheduled games only -- adding in the game 3s and next weekend's games only increases the complexity. My real point was to convey how many tough to predict edge cases there are. Cumulative total, it seems to only be about .1% of cases in which Yale gets swept that they could fall from #1 overall. But that something that intuitively seems so impossible can happen is still somewhat fascinating, IMHO.
                  Last edited by JimDahl; 03-09-2011, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimDahl View Post
                    Yeah, I said in the post on SiouxSports but failed to repeat here that I had run it out as far as this weekend's scheduled games only -- adding in the game 3s and next weekend's games only increases the complexity. My real point was to convey how many tough to predict edge cases there are. Cumulative total, it seems to only be about .1% of cases in which Yale gets swept that they could fall from #1 overall. But that something that intuitively seems so impossible can happen is still somewhat fascinating, IMHO.
                    Indeed. I only found the New Hampshire to #4 scenario by accident.

Comment

Northeastern upsets BU in the only game of the night.

The field and seeding remain the same. The first team out is now Maine, followed by RPI.

The new TUC line

Code:
                      Quinnipiac	0.5086
                      RIT	        0.5039
                      MSU-Mankato	0.5023
                      Air Force	0.5023
                      Cornell	        0.5022
                      ---
                      Robert Morris	0.4988*
                      NorthEastern	0.4978
                      Bemidji State	0.4972
                      Niagara	        0.4963*
                      Lake Superior	0.4943

Comment

Western Michigan opened the door but Maine, Minnesota and SCSU all failed to walk through it. Thanks to Bemidji's upset, they are a TUC again so North Dakota moves up; UNO moves down.

Code:
                        1	Yale (EC)	30	0.5732
                        2	North Dak (WC)	29	0.5838
                        3	Boston Coll (HE)28	0.5767
                        4	Michigan (CC)	26	0.5581
                        5	Denver U (WC)	26	0.5551
                        6	Miami (CC)	25	0.5535
                        7	Union (EC)	23	0.5636
                        8	Merrimack (HE)	23	0.5489
                        9	MinnDuluth (WC)	22	0.5515
                        10	Notre Dame (CC) 20	0.5522
                        11	New Hamp (HE)	19	0.5452
                        12	NE-Omaha (WC)	19	0.5383
                        13	Dartmouth (EC)	18	0.5329
                        14	Boston U (HE)	16	0.5319
                        15	RPI (EC)	16	0.5230
                        ---
                        16	Maine (HE)	14	0.5279
                        17	Minnesota (WC)	14	0.5239
                        Bracketology:

Code:
                        Merrimack	Union		Denver		Miami
                        UNO		UNH		Notre Dame	MinnDuluth
                        AHA Champ	Dartmouth	Boston U	RPI
                        TUC line:

Code:
                        Cornell	        0.5063
                        RIT	        0.5050
                        Quinnipiac	0.5040
                        Air Force	0.5035
                        Bemidji State	0.5016
                        MSU-Mankato	0.5003
                        Robert Morris	0.4984*
                        Niagara	        0.4961*
                        NorthEastern	0.4950

Comment

I agree with Moy's latest brackets except that I would put the UND/UNO/Miami cluster in St. Louis, not Green Bay. Is that crazy? You'd then love to get UMD to Green Bay, but I wasn't able to come up with a reasonable solution there.

Comment

Western Michigan opened the door but Maine, Minnesota and SCSU all failed to walk through it. Thanks to Bemidji's upset, they are a TUC again so North Dakota moves up; UNO moves down.
                            and RPI moves back in, at least for a day.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

My concussion rears its ugly head. The pairwise I posted last night is incorrect; I entered the Dartmouth-Harvard score wrong. As luck would have it, the field is unchanged. The seeding now would go #13 BU, #14 Dartmouth. Because of the BC/BU matchup, pairings do not change.

Outside the field, there are 4 teams T16: #16 Wisconsin, #17 Maine, #18 Minnesota, #19 Western Michigan.

I'll try to do better tonight, but make no promises. It seems a world-class percussionist has taken up residence in my head.

Comment

Updated pairwise:

Code:
                                1	Yale (EC)	29	0.5742
                                2	North Dak (WC)	28	0.5835
                                3	Boston Coll (HE)27	0.5778
                                4	Michigan (CC)	25	0.5582
                                5	Miami (CC)	25	0.5563
                                6	Merrimack (HE)	23	0.5524
                                7	Denver U (WC)	23	0.5573
                                8	Union (EC)	22	0.5579
                                9	MinnDuluth (WC)	22	0.5538
                                10	Notre Dame (CC)	20	0.5473