MN @ WI: The Real Battle Of Interstate 94

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MN @ WI: The Real Battle Of Interstate 94

I haven't attended a game there but have heard from a number of people who have.

It's basically the exact opposite of Mariucci: if you attend a game here, there is no bad seat anywhere in the arena, but the atmosphere is generally terrible. Even when MN was fielding strong teams contending for national championships, it was dead in there for games not involving UND, SCSU, or UW. This is a product of corporate seats combined with older fans being generally intolerant of anyone daring to make a lot of noise / act like a typical rowdy hockey fan.

I've been sworn at by middle aged people for daring to yell at a game. I've also been talked to by the police for the same reason. In neither case was I drunk or using foul language. It's a joke that this would happen in a hockey arena, yet it's the norm here. The vocal fans have been silenced with threats of removal by rent-a-cops sent to them by the idiot elderly that don't want their peaceful knitting interrupted at games.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
      ...If you yell anything at Mariucci, some fans will probably get their panties in a twist and get the rent-a-cops to talk to you.
      Incorrect. I've yelled an incredible amount of obscenities at games over the years, and have never once spoken to a security guard.

I certainly get some strange looks from a few folks, but never have had to deal with security

Also, about the Kohl...I'm fairly certain they could install a 3-foot moat around the outside of the boards without having to move any seats back.
      Last edited by Stauber1; 11-05-2010, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        You should come to our rink. Anything goes here. You can even hit opposing fans and not only is it allowed, it's encouraged.
        wait....we can't do the "goalie, sieve, a gopher on a stick" thing anymore as apparently either the stuffed gopher or the stick must be considered weapons?

the kohl center has a gestapo atmosphere in that regard. no banners, no signs, etc., lame
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

stocking up on paint thinner on lunch. hell, may not even go back into work after that

below...the CLASSIC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv87T...layer_embedded
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            stocking up on paint thinner on lunch. hell, may not even go back into work after that
            Nice....... all you need now is a dead deer along the side of the road and you're all set for the night.
            Originally posted by CavalryNate
            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
              Nice....... all you need now is a dead deer along the side of the road and you're all set for the night.
              The deer doesn't have to start out dead. You can always run it down and then it's nice and warm.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                It's a joke that this would happen in a hockey arena, yet it's the norm here. The vocal fans have been silenced with threats of removal by rent-a-cops sent to them by the idiot elderly that don't want their peaceful knitting interrupted at games.
                While we don't have security telling us to be quiet, we certainly have our fair share of knitters. I grew up near Chicago (in a transplanted Wisconsin family) and my first hockey games were going to see the Hawks at Chicago Stadium. I assumed that all hockey games/fans were like that.

When I first got to Madison, the games at the coliseum, while not quite like the old stadium, were loud and somewhat rowdy and fun. Then we moved to the KC and the fan base got deluded, you could no longer buy beer and donors (many elderly) got all the seats at center ice.

I don't think that our crowd adds anything to the atmosphere in the KC. They are generally reactionary meaning they only cheer when prompted or when something good happens on the ice. Thankfully, our student section is what they are. When they are gone over the holidays, it's a morgue in that place.

It's even worse at hoops games where the crowd is even older and the student section isn't as good.

Comment

Hey gang...haven't been following this thread (or much of anything else in the college hockey world lately), was going to stop in and yell some obscenities at the Gopher fans, but I've decided that would require too much effort.

Instead I'll just say that I'm hoping for a split, for old time's sake.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

below...the CLASSIC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv87T...layer_embedded
                    Still funny to see Carl sitting next to all those bags of milorganite, Milwaukee activated sewage. That stuff smells awful.

Go Badgers!

Comment

Weekend Preview from Gophersports

Weekend Overview: Minnesota welcomes Wisconsin to Mariucci Arena for a pair of games this weekend. The two teams played two series last season and split both and are 4-4-2 in their last 10 games against each other. However the two teams that face off this year hardly resemble last year's squads. The Gophers lost players who scored eight of their 15 goals against Wisconsin last year and the Badgers lost players who scored six of their 10 goals against Minnesota. Both teams are entering this weekend after sweeping their previous opponent. The Gophers won two games at Colorado College, while Wisconsin won two home games against Michigan Tech.

Last Time Out: Minnesota won both games at Colorado College to earn their first WCHA roach sweep since Dec. 11-12, 2009 when they won a pair of 3-2 games at Michigan Tech. On Friday, Taylor Matson had two goals, Erik Haula had a shorthanded tally and Kent Patterson recorded 27 saves in a 4-1 win.

On Saturday, the Gophers offense erupted for a 9-4 win. The nine goals were the most Minnesota had scored since they beat Alaska Anchorage 9-0 at home on Nov. 11, 2005. Freshman Nate Condon had five points and eight different Gophers scored. Condon is the first Gopher to record five points in a game since Ryan Potulny (4g-1a) against St. Cloud State on March 17, 2006, in the WCHA Final Five. He is the first freshman to do so since Phil Kessel (1g-4a) had five points on Nov. 11, 2005.

Series History: Minnesota leads the all-time series with Wisconsin 152-83-18. The teams split both series last year. The Badgers won both Friday games a year ago, while Minnesota won both Saturday games. The Gophers are 15-5-2 in the second game of two-game series against Wisconsin under coach Don Lucia. Gopher assistant captain Mike Hoeffel missed the team's 5-2 win in Madison due to an allergic reaction. Jacob Cepis was not yet eligible for that series because of NCAA transfer regulations and Jay Barriball was lost for the season the previous week. The Gophers were 5-for-8 on the power play in a 6-1 win on Senior Day (March 7, 2010) last year at Mariucci Arena. That was the only game contested between the teams at Mariucci, as they played two days prior at Target Center.

About The Badgers: Wisconsin reached the Frozen Four last year where they beat RIT 8-1 in the semifinals and lost to Boston College 5-0 in the final. This year's team looks nothing like last year's squad, but has continued to win. The Badgers lost seven of their top eight scorers from their 2009-10 Frozen Four team, including Hobey Baker finalist Brendan Smith, Hobey Baker winner Blake Geoffrion and U.S. Junior Team captain Derek Stepan. The seven players combined for 284 points (an average of 40.6 points per player). Their leading returning scorer, Craig Smith, leads the team in scoring though eight games this season (5g-6a). Goalie Brett Bennett is third in the nation in GAA, allowing exactly a goal per game and is second in the nation with a .960 save percentage. The Badgers are 5-2-1 and 4-0-0 at home. They are 1-2-1 away from Kohl Center (0-1-1 away and 1-1-0 neutral site) and 2-1-1 in the WCHA. They are 5-0-0 in games decided by three or more goals and are 0-2-1 in games decided by two goals or less.
                      Originally posted by CavalryNate
                      Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                      sigpic

Comment

Most people probably have you on ignore and so didn't see this. Are you really equating those two games?

While the loss to HC for the Gophers was a colossal embarrassment, there wasn't a whole lot at stake. They most likely would have lost the next night anyway as they weren't playing well and had to face the Sue in GF. Even if they got to the FF, they hadn't beat us all year when we had Els, so weren't gonna there either.

Ours was a slight embarrassment due to the final score, but these things happen from time to time in championship games in all sports. But we were one game away from a 7th title. In my mind, that makes our loss worse and the final score unpalatable.

Don't compare it to HC.
                        Point taken, but it's just funny that we're getting ripped for our loss to BC in the NCAA title game by Goofer fans who's team did nothing last season.
                        Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
                          Point taken, but it's just funny that we're getting ripped for our loss to BC in the NCAA title game by Goofer fans who's team did nothing last season.
                          We didn't do anything the season before that either. And we hardly made the NCAA's the season before that. I enjoyed that NC game last year......a lot! However, you will not hear me talk any s$%^ about it, that much I know.
                          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

You should come to our rink. Anything goes here. You can even hit opposing fans and not only is it allowed, it's encouraged.
                            I have never been to Madison but from what I hear, they also encourage getting disgustingly, throwing up drunk before showing up to the game (being there at the start of the game is optional if more drinking is required).
                            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• I hate Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                                I hate Minnesota
                                But you live there, don't you?
                                Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Working...