CWHL an NCAA graduate league

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWHL an NCAA graduate league

The CWHL is finally giving College grads a great place to play and promote their game.
    Canadian, American & European players provide very entertaining hockey.

The progression to the CWHL is natural

PWHL to NCAA to CWHL

A great developmental & feeder system

The PWHL provided the NCAA with about 9% (33)of it's players in 2010. Nice job.

The NCAA provided the CWHL with about 60% of the players.

www.cwhl.ca

Re: CWHL an NCAA graduate league

Originally posted by Slapper View Post
    The CWHL is finally giving College grads a great place to play and promote their game.

PWHL to NCAA to CWHL

The NCAA provided the CWHL with about 60% of the players.

www.cwhl.ca
    Slapper, thanks for starting another thread where we can discuss the CWHL. I think it is a great idea and I think it is nice that these young ladies have somewhere to play after college and the Olympics. Mrs 86 and I actually made a 7-hour trek from central Ohio to Toronto last weekend to see a couple games and had a great time. Is the league perfect? No. Certainly, some things need to be tweaked in order for this league to survive and flourish. Hopefully, the persons in charge see this and will make changes so that this league survives. I wholeheartedly agree that these players provide very entertaining hockey. The play looked a tad ragged last weekend at times, but that will improve as the season goes on. I am sure some of the players are still getting used to playing with each other. We are hoping to get up there again for some more games in a few months or so. Mrs 86 is talking about going up in January for her birthday! I'm really blessed, I married someone who loves hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
      Slapper, thanks for starting another thread where we can discuss the CWHL. I think it is a great idea and I think it is nice that these young ladies have somewhere to play after college and the Olympics. Mrs 86 and I actually made a 7-hour trek from central Ohio to Toronto last weekend to see a couple games and had a great time. Is the league perfect? No. Certainly, some things need to be tweaked in order for this league to survive and flourish. Hopefully, the persons in charge see this and will make changes so that this league survives. I wholeheartedly agree that these players provide very entertaining hockey. The play looked a tad ragged last weekend at times, but that will improve as the season goes on. I am sure some of the players are still getting used to playing with each other. We are hoping to get up there again for some more games in a few months or so. Mrs 86 is talking about going up in January for her birthday! I'm really blessed, I married someone who loves hockey.
      OSU, the only way that changes will be made is if someone removes SJS from her self-appointed job! She is too ego-driven to remove herself and until that happens, I am afraid that this league will continue to have issues and ultimately fold!

Her vision has not worked as she wanted too much too fast. Before contacting the NHL, they needed to build a product and solid business plan. They have done neither.
      The NHL has said they have no interest or faith in the business plan that was presented. SJS and BA can continue to say that they are talking but until those things are accomplished, it's going nowhere!

Just look at the attendance figures for the first weekend. There were between 100-200 fans at the games! Look at the attendance numbers, from the CWHL site.

Tor @ Mon - 82
      Bur @ Bos - 200
      Bra @ Bur - 103
      Mon @ Bra - 150
      Bur @ Tor - 230
      Tor @ Bra - 450
      Mon @ Bur - 156

A far cry from year 1 where there were 400+ in Ottawa, 500+ in Burlington and 600+ in Brampton!

Brampton will always draw well due to an established fan base from their booster club!

The CWHL will not be the only game in town for long.....

Comment

Originally posted by brokentwigg View Post
        OSU, the only way that changes will be made is if someone removes SJS from her self-appointed job! She is too ego-driven to remove herself and until that happens, I am afraid that this league will continue to have issues and ultimately fold!

Her vision has not worked as she wanted too much too fast. Before contacting the NHL, they needed to build a product and solid business plan. They have done neither.
        The NHL has said they have no interest or faith in the business plan that was presented. SJS and BA can continue to say that they are talking but until those things are accomplished, it's going nowhere!

Just look at the attendance figures for the first weekend. There were between 100-200 fans at the games! Look at the attendance numbers, from the CWHL site.

Tor @ Mon - 82
        Bur @ Bos - 200
        Bra @ Bur - 103
        Mon @ Bra - 150
        Bur @ Tor - 230
        Tor @ Bra - 450
        Mon @ Bur - 156

A far cry from year 1 where there were 400+ in Ottawa, 500+ in Burlington and 600+ in Brampton!

Brampton will always draw well due to an established fan base from their booster club!

The CWHL will not be the only game in town for long.....
        Brokentwigg, you are obviously closer to the situation than I am and know the history, so I definitely cannot debate anything you have posted. Ultimately, I believe we both want the same thing ... a professional women's hockey league to provide these players with a viable place to play after college and in between Olympic Games. Let's hope that the powers that be have the courage to change what needs to be changed so that this league can get the ball rolling and flourish.

Comment

As I just wrote in the other CWHL thread, these athletes do deserve their just dues....how many men would do what they are doing just to live their dream.....I was talking with a women who has played collegiate and Olympian competition, and we both know that this option wasn't there for her....hopefully her daughter will get paid for playing the game she loves.....sometimes small steps are all that's possible

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
            As I just wrote in the other CWHL thread, these athletes do deserve their just dues....how many men would do what they are doing just to live their dream.....I was talking with a women who has played collegiate and Olympian competition, and we both know that this option wasn't there for her....hopefully her daughter will get paid for playing the game she loves.....sometimes small steps are all that's possible
            At this point, no one should be thinking about getting paid to play!! Everyone should just be thankful that they don't have to pay to play!

That is part of the problem. The league's leadership has gone out on a limb and called themselves a professional league. They have said that there would be pay for players, managers and coaches. They have said that teams would be flying to Boston. None of this has come to fruition. The limb has broken!

Again, this league has survived this long because there really isn't anything out there other than Senior AA. If there is an alternative, I could see many players jumping ship just to get away from the false promises and blind decisions that are currently being made.

The focus now should not be on the "professional" designation, but rather, on building something where the same questions and blunders are not made every year.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
              Brokentwigg, you are obviously closer to the situation than I am and know the history, so I definitely cannot debate anything you have posted. Ultimately, I believe we both want the same thing ... a professional women's hockey league to provide these players with a viable place to play after college and in between Olympic Games. Let's hope that the powers that be have the courage to change what needs to be changed so that this league can get the ball rolling and flourish.
              OSU, believe me, if the CWHL got rid of SJS and BA, people would be lined up to assist in gathering sponsorship and putting a proper plan in place for this league to make it attractive to the NHL.

Again, professional would be great but what this league needs to do is go back to basics!! Stop thinking about the term "professional" and get a product on the ice that can be considered "professional".

Again, I am not going to say too much on what they should do because historically, this individual will take it, run and call it her own!! Been there, done that!

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your time up here and hopefully next time you are here, it can be more entertaining for you on and off the ice!

Comment

[QUOTE=Slapper;4911577]The CWHL is finally giving College grads a great place to play and promote their game.

PWHL to NCAA to CWHL

[QUOTE]

I believe that calculation is low. The last couple of years, about 50 players a year from Ontario were recruited to D1. The vast majority of these are from the PWHL. If there are about 180-200 incoming players each year to the NCAA, the proportion from the PWHL would then be closer to 20-25%.

Comment

Brokentwigg

Admit it...Sami Jo & co are doing a fantastic job.

They totally took advantage of the best WINDOW of OPPORTUNITY women's hockey will ever have to market their game & not only in North America but Internationally.
                  The last time I experienced patriotism like our 2010 Olympics was the '72 Canada Russia series.
                  The timing could not have been better to contact the NHL about their vision & dream & they had the JAM to to do it. Beautiful vision.
                  The young aspiring players in women's hockey are all rooting for them to succeed.

These young players are also being given the opportunity to direct their future by attending CWHL games, so it's also up to them to contribute. BT you could be a huge help too.

So BrokenTwigg, get with the times. Wood isn't used anymore.
                  Maybe change your name to Snappedgraphite or something more relevant.

Go Ladies www.cwhl.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                    I believe that calculation is low. The last couple of years, about 50 players a year from Ontario were recruited to D1. The vast majority of these are from the PWHL. If there are about 180-200 incoming players each year to the NCAA, the proportion from the PWHL would then be closer to 20-25%.
                    Trillium is right. The number is more like 23-24 percent rather than 9%...

...here are the D1 recruit numbers from recent years, and the percentages from Ontario and the PWHL:
                    (Some Ontario recruits do no come from the PWHL)

05-06: Overall 209, Ontario 36, PWHL 27.......27/209 = 12.9% (9 Ontarians from NCCP, Senior Telus)
                    06-07: Overall 197, Ontario 29, PWHL 22.......22/197 = 11.2% (7 Ontarians from NCCP/Rattlers/T-Bay/Prep)
                    07-08: Overall 166, Ontario 29, PWHL 27.......27.166 = 16.2% (2 Ontarians from Sudbury)
                    08-09: Overall 213, Ontario 38, PWHL 31.......31/213 = 14.5% (7 Ontarians from Sudbury/Prep/Tbay/Cornwall)
                    09-10: Overall 214, Ontario 52, PWHL 48.......48/214 = 23.0% (4 Ontarians from Prep/T-Bay)
                    10-11: Overall 209, Ontario 57, PWHL 51.......52/209 = 24.4% (6 Ontarians from Prep/Nepean)

As you can see the PWHL has been supplying an increasing percentage of recruits over the last 6 years. The current rate is running at 23-24 percent over the last two years. This a reflection of both the quality and depth this league has to offer. The PWHL was created in 2004. Entry is tightly controlled.

Note that the above numbers do not include the Out of Province PWHL grads (such as Wong and Saulnier).
                    Last edited by OnMAA; 10-31-2010, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                      Trillium is right. The number is more like 23-24 percent rather than 9%...

...here are the D1 recruit numbers from recent years, and the percentages from Ontario and the PWHL:
                      (Some Ontario recruits do no come from the PWHL)

05-06: Overall 209, Ontario 36, PWHL 27.......27/209 = 12.9% (9 Ontarians from NCCP, Senior Telus)
                      06-07: Overall 197, Ontario 29, PWHL 22.......22/197 = 11.2% (7 Ontarians from NCCP/Rattlers/T-Bay/Prep)
                      07-08: Overall 166, Ontario 29, PWHL 27.......27.166 = 16.2% (2 Ontarians from Sudbury)
                      08-09: Overall 213, Ontario 38, PWHL 31.......31/213 = 14.5% (7 Ontarians from Sudbury/Prep/Tbay/Cornwall)
                      09-10: Overall 214, Ontario 52, PWHL 48.......48/214 = 23.0% (4 Ontarians from Prep/T-Bay)
                      10-11: Overall 209, Ontario 57, PWHL 51.......52/209 = 24.4% (6 Ontarians from Prep/Nepean)

As you can see the PWHL has been supplying an increasing percentage of recruits over the last 6 years. The current rate is running at 23-24 percent over the last two years. This a reflection of both the quality and depth this league has to offer. The PWHL was created in 2004. Entry is tightly controlled.

Note that the above numbers do not include the Out of Province PWHL grads (such as Wong and Saulnier).

Doesn't NCAA refer to both D1 and D3? I don't know if the 9% is valid but I am guessing it may be lower due to D3.

Comment

Brokentwigg

Admit it...Sami Jo & co are doing a fantastic job.

They totally took advantage of the best WINDOW of OPPORTUNITY women's hockey will ever have to market their game & not only in North America but Internationally.
                        The last time I experienced patriotism like our 2010 Olympics was the '72 Canada Russia series.
                        The timing could not have been better to contact the NHL about their vision & dream & they had the JAM to to do it. Beautiful vision.
                        The young aspiring players in women's hockey are all rooting for them to succeed.

These young players are also being given the opportunity to direct their future by attending CWHL games, so it's also up to them to contribute. BT you could be a huge help too.

So BrokenTwigg, get with the times. Wood isn't used anymore.
                        Maybe change your name to Snappedgraphite or something more relevant.

Go Ladies www.cwhl.ca

Slapper,

I would assume that you must be involved in the CWHL in some capacity as you keep quoting the CWHL url.

Yes, I will admit, SJS is doing a heck of a job!!! I think you must have been "slapped" around with some of that wood Slapper!! Maybe we should shift to aluminum shafts as the wood will eventually break.

If the last time you have experienced patriotism like that was '72, then you have missed a ton of hockey!!! Remember Hamilton?? 1987 Canada Cup?? Oh, that's right, I forgot your CWHL draft. Sorry I forgot about that debacle! The only positive about that was the location and when I heard it was being held at the HHOF, that was a good move! But after that, it was all downhill!

You and the CWHL's whole problem is that you are riding the wave of the Olympics!! You thought that 15k at the Olympics was going to transcend into 15k to watch your games!! I said this two years ago, when the Worlds were held in Winnipeg. There was 15k there!! I can see that it helped your league immensely!

If they were doing a great job, they would have had a proper business plan in place when they presented to Gary, Bill, EJ and the rest of them in the Hockey Operations department!! The NHL has come out and said that they cannot support the current business plan in place by the CWHL. Major things must change including removing the self-described savior of women's hockey. Get rid of her, and you will be surprised how well the wooden shaft works!! But stick with your composite because they have some things in common with the CWHL. Reliability, strength and character. None of which are characteristics of composite sticks or the CWHL!! I will take good ole fashioned lumber anyday!!

And that sound you here?? That's your WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY closing and to be honest, that might be the best thing that happens to Women's Hockey....PERIOD!! And those young players who are rooting?? I know many, many of those players who are currently playing in the CIS and the NCAA and believe me, they could care less! They just want to play but your leader wants the paycheck as her HC stipend has run out!

So, go ahead Slapper, I would love to hear what you have to say even though I may not agree with it! The time for change is now..........

Comment

Originally posted by brokentwigg View Post
                          Slapper,

I would assume that you must be involved in the CWHL in some capacity as you keep quoting the CWHL url.

Yes, I will admit, SJS is doing a heck of a job!!! I think you must have been "slapped" around with some of that wood Slapper!! Maybe we should shift to aluminum shafts as the wood will eventually break.

If the last time you have experienced patriotism like that was '72, then you have missed a ton of hockey!!! Remember Hamilton?? 1987 Canada Cup?? Oh, that's right, I forgot your CWHL draft. Sorry I forgot about that debacle! The only positive about that was the location and when I heard it was being held at the HHOF, that was a good move! But after that, it was all downhill!

You and the CWHL's whole problem is that you are riding the wave of the Olympics!! You thought that 15k at the Olympics was going to transcend into 15k to watch your games!! I said this two years ago, when the Worlds were held in Winnipeg. There was 15k there!! I can see that it helped your league immensely!

If they were doing a great job, they would have had a proper business plan in place when they presented to Gary, Bill, EJ and the rest of them in the Hockey Operations department!! The NHL has come out and said that they cannot support the current business plan in place by the CWHL. Major things must change including removing the self-described savior of women's hockey. Get rid of her, and you will be surprised how well the wooden shaft works!! But stick with your composite because they have some things in common with the CWHL. Reliability, strength and character. None of which are characteristics of composite sticks or the CWHL!! I will take good ole fashioned lumber anyday!!

And that sound you here?? That's your WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY closing and to be honest, that might be the best thing that happens to Women's Hockey....PERIOD!! And those young players who are rooting?? I know many, many of those players who are currently playing in the CIS and the NCAA and believe me, they could care less! They just want to play but your leader wants the paycheck as her HC stipend has run out!

So, go ahead Slapper, I would love to hear what you have to say even though I may not agree with it! The time for change is now..........
                          My apolgies to everyone on this board especially OSU and Seymore!! I guess with it being Halloween, I got a bit ghoulish!!!! HEHE

Comment

Originally posted by scrambledlegs View Post
                            Doesn't NCAA refer to both D1 and D3? I don't know if the 9% is valid but I am guessing it may be lower due to D3.
                            Not sure, but that would skew the numbers. For most players, D1 is option one, but D3 is not always option two. That is why it is best to quote apples with apples (I E D1 only)

Many Ontarians that don't go the D1 route, look at the CIS rather than D3. There are about 60 Ontario recruits each year heading into the CIS game. Not sure what the D3 numbers are from Ontario, but my guess would be ~20. Some former D3 players hailing from Ontario do play in the CWHL.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                              Not sure, but that would skew the numbers. For most players, D1 is option one, but D3 is not always option two. That is why it is best to quote apples with apples (I E D1 only)

Many Ontarians that don't go the D1 route, look at the CIS rather than D3. There are about 60 Ontario recruits each year heading into the CIS game. Not sure what the D3 numbers are from Ontario, but my guess would be ~20. Some former D3 players hailing from Ontario do play in the CWHL.

You are correct on all you calculations!

Comment

Working...
                              X