• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UConn ties Union at Union

Tied Maine at Maine.
    I know ... I know.
    UConn is terrible ... At football.

Re: UConn ties Union at Union

What about the game in between when they got absolutely shellacked at Merrimack? It was like men against boys out there.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
      What about the game in between when they got absolutely shellacked at Merrimack? It was like men against boys out there.
      Apparently the Huskies only get up for games against nationally ranked teams. That's going to be a problem, however, playing in Atlantic Hockey.

Comment

Then again, Union started its freshman third string. I'm sure that with Kincaid and maybe even Milan it would've been a different outcome. I guess since they were 5-1 and playing at home, they felt they could take the risk. One thing to be sure of, that guy won't be seeing any time between the nets for the rest of the year. To blow a 3-0 lead like that...ugh
        Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Phew, for a second there, I was thinking this was going to be a thread about how Uconn should get serious about D1 hockey because "we have so much support and money" and "we've done it in basketball, why not hockey" like they said with football.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

UCONN isn't going to win the National Championship or anything, but it looks like they will be much improved in a couple of areas. They look to have added some scorers, particularly in Schnieder to take some pressure off of Olson, who was their only threat the past few years. The goalie is a nice player. Does the standard stuff well and occassionally makes some tough plays. He came in mid-season last year and really improved as the year went along, I thought. And they appear to have a little more mental toughness this year. There werre several opportunities to quit against Maine, like after giving up back to back shorthanded goals, and they didn't. They were down late to Army and came back to win and down 3 after 1 period to Union and came back to tie. It would have been pretty easy, after what happened at Merrimack, to fold the tents.

Comment

Kudos to UConn for their effort last night. After going down 3 they could easily have phoned it in but to their credit they picked up the pressure and forechecked hard. I actually didn't think that Union's goalie, Groesnick, could be faulted on the goals though Kincaid might have made one or two spectacular saves had he played but that of course is purely speculation. Hopefully both teams can take or learn something from this game.

Comment

Hats off to the Huskies. D I hockey provides many games each year that have improbable results. Union was ill prepared to finish. The Huskies were richly rewarded.

Comment

UConn is the REAL DEAL!!! I'd vote them #26 .
                  UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Just as a note for you Uconn fans, yes Union started their third string goalie (though I don't think any of the goals can be blamed on him) and a few other non "regular" starters - But hats off to Uconn. You have several talented Freshman and Sophmores on the team, Schneider impressed as did Sims, and Bartus in net was quite solid. Losing the Olson/Hernandez/Krispel line will hurt, but I think Uconn probably looks as good as I've ever seen them - and may be more competitive in their league in the next couple of years if they get a couple decent support players. The Defense also played well in their own zone, and to have the gut check to come back from a 3-0 deficit against a team who has been pouring it on Atlantic Hockey opponents at their own rink showed some good mental grit as well. Good luck going forward!

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                      So ... you are not familiar with the concept of opening it up, sending in another forechecker, letting the centerman get deep, D pinching in instead of backing out, to pull a goal or two back? And that often this leads an even bigger deficit instead of producing the desired result? And that a 7-1 defeat goes into the record books as an L ... just the same as a 3-1 defeat? Is there something about this risk/reward concept that you don't understand?

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyRadio View Post
                        Just as a note for you Uconn fans, yes Union started their third string goalie
                        There are a few teams that can get away with that against a stock AHA team.... Union is not one of them.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Kinda like the football game Friday night. West Virginia came out and looked like they would run UConn right out of the Rent. Somehow the Huskies just never gave up and started getting their legs under them, especially when they went to the two minute drill late in the first half. And of course UConn came back, tied it up, and won it in OT.

Comment

Working...
                          X