Minnesota Golden Gophers @ CC Tigers: Oct 29/30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers @ CC Tigers: Oct 29/30

If CC gets 60+ shots on Friday and Patterson gets a 1-0 win, with 40 of those coming from within 10 feet and on odd man rushes, maybe Lucia should give him Saturday night as a reward. Otherwise, this early in the year, you don't take out your senior goalie who has proven himself since his freshman year because the other goalie has 2 good games. It's a long season, and Kangas has proven himself in playoff situations. You want him sharp when the end of the year comes around. I'm fine with spitting weekends, as long as Patterson continues to play well.

What really is important isn't who is in goal, but whether Lucia can motivate the players to play a full game like they did for the first 2 periods on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
      We really need Fairchild to snap out of his funk that goes all the way back to last season. The fact that he was an early pick last year to be a Hobey candidate is mind boggling.
      From what I remembered of his Sophmore season, I was not that surprised to see his name on the INCH list that following summer/Fall. Towards the end of that year, he looked like he was ready to take over. I can't understand how a player can regress that much in an offseason. (Pretty common to see players that never reach their potential, but to go backwards is more rare. Although I will say he has made gains in defensive play.) Ness has leapt way over him as the main offensive threat from the blueline. It sure would be fun to see Fairchild step up to show some of that potential again and have both he and Ness providing that excitement. Let's hope both of them continue to gain confidence with each series. They both have the tools, they just have to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
        From what I remembered of his Sophmore season, I was not that surprised to see his name on the INCH list that following summer/Fall. Towards the end of that year, he looked like he was ready to take over. I can't understand how a player can regress that much in an offseason. (Pretty common to see players that never reach their potential, but to go backwards is more rare. Although I will say he has made gains in defensive play.) Ness has leapt way over him as the main offensive threat from the blueline. It sure would be fun to see Fairchild step up to show some of that potential again and have both he and Ness providing that excitement. Let's hope both of them continue to gain confidence with each series. They both have the tools, they just have to use them.
        Did you say Ness and offensive threat in the same sentence? It would be less preposterous to have said Wehrs in that statement. Wehrs has more points and a goal so far this season as compared to Ness' two assists. Yes, I know it is early. I remember when Fairchild used to have that wicked wrister from the point that always seemed to find its way to the back of the net. I agree with your points on Cade, but Ness.....not so much.

I also agree with what you said regarding the goalie situation. That is pretty much my thought process at this point as well.
        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Ness is a much better puck mover than Wehrs. I am not going to cry when he graduates.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            Ness is a much better puck mover than Wehrs. I am not going to cry when he graduates.
            Are talking about Ness or Wehrs with the graduating comment? I assume you mean Wehrs, but I have felt the same about Ness.

I am not going to argue with you that Ness is better than Wehrs in many facets of the game. I was just using Wehrs to prove my point that I think it is almost laughable to call Ness and offensive threat.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
              Are talking about Ness or Wehrs with the graduating comment? I assume you mean Wehrs, but I have felt the same about Ness.

I am not going to argue with you that Ness is better than Wehrs in many facets of the game. I was just using Wehrs to prove my point that I think it is almost laughable to call Ness and offensive threat.
              It's laughable to call any defensemen on the Gopher squad an offensive threat. Or a defensive threat for that matter.
              Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 10-28-2010, 01:58 PM.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                Wehrs gave up that errant pass in the transition zone that allowed UNO to storm in, break the tie and go up 5-4 to win it, right after the Gophers had just come back to tie it. That was a killer defensive blunder that still leaves a bad taste. They had a few of those last season too. Makes me long for the days when Gopher passing was really fun to watch and phenomenally crisp and accurate tape to tape.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  It's laughable to call any defensemen on the Gopher squad an offensive threat. Or a defensive threat for that matter.
                  Word

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

What really is important isn't who is in goal, but whether Lucia can motivate the players to play a full game like they did for the first 2 periods on Sunday.
                    Motivate for a full game like they did for 2 periods? O.o So they forgot games last 3 periods? I hope Lucia can do better then that and include some clock reading skills to know the clock will hit zero a couple of times before the game is over.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                      They're brothers who spell their last name differently? Now that's unusual!
                      Unusual,but not unprecedented. In the 1960's,Bill Munsey played halfback for the Gophers, while his brother,Chuck Muncie,played halfback for Cal Berkley.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                        Makes me long for the days when Gopher passing was really fun to watch and phenomenally crisp and accurate tape to tape.
                        You remember a fiction. They've always been sucky--just luckier. And you were probably drunker. I suffered the same affliction (the Kelly green version), until therapy set me free.

Comment

Full game didn't mean 60 minutes. I should have said "complete game", as in hitting, backchecking, forechecking, offense and defense; doing most things correctly.
                          Last edited by Koho; 10-28-2010, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                            Did you say Ness and offensive threat in the same sentence? It would be less preposterous to have said Wehrs in that statement. Wehrs has more points and a goal so far this season as compared to Ness' two assists. Yes, I know it is early. I remember when Fairchild used to have that wicked wrister from the point that always seemed to find its way to the back of the net. I agree with your points on Cade, but Ness.....not so much.

I also agree with what you said regarding the goalie situation. That is pretty much my thought process at this point as well.
                            I do not expect Ness to score lots of goals. That wasn't his MO in HS either. And that isn't the only way to messure offensive contribution. What he did in HS was make everyone else around him better offensively. He was an expert at pulling 2 to three guys to him and then dishing to a guy left wide open after carrying the puck the length of the ice untouched. Offense starts from the time you get the puck in your own end and start moving it up the ice. It isn't just who buries the puck at the end. If the North Stars don't have guys who can get the puck to him, Dino C doesn't get nearly the goals he scored. Watch Ness. He went from a guy who occasionally skated to center ice before passing, to a guy this year who is carrying it into the offensive zone and creating chances. He also is showing much more poise on the PP that should translate into more PP points for the team. He is starting to pull defenders to himself and away from others. When you can skate around one player, another will have to pick you up. Most of his points will be assists. But he will make everyone around him better this year if he continues to gain confidence.

If you want to look at it simply, and only goals matter, than Ness is not a big threat.

And Wehrs is looking better offensively this year than last, but I still put my money on Ness at this point for contributing the most.
                            Last edited by Koho; 10-28-2010, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              It's laughable to call any defensemen on the Gopher squad an offensive threat.
                              Holl will be when he gets more regular time.

Comment

If CC gets 60+ shots on Friday and Patterson gets a 1-0 win, with 40 of those coming from within 10 feet and on odd man rushes, maybe Lucia should give him Saturday night as a reward. Otherwise, this early in the year, you don't take out your senior goalie who has proven himself since his freshman year because the other goalie has 2 good games. It's a long season, and Kangas has proven himself in playoff situations. You want him sharp when the end of the year comes around. I'm fine with spitting weekends, as long as Patterson continues to play well.

This. The only difference that I saw/have heard is the better D in front of Patterson. Kangas' numbers are terrible this year, but 60-70% of the GA is solely on the D. It's unreal. But the Kangas haters don't see it that way. Now, don't get me wrong, I like Patty. But to throw Kangas under the bus because of his "numbers" is ignorant.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X