Princeton/Morrisville Exhibition Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Princeton/Morrisville Exhibition Series

I feel like this series (yes they played last year in an exhibition game as well) has been severely overlooked for how rare of an occurence these types of games are now.

Granted, Morrisville has few to no fans on this board but I figured it would still generate more discussion.

Does anyone know why these teams have a link to each other? it seems rather out of the blue that all of a sudden a D-I ECAC team is playing a middle of the pack to bottom feeder SUNYAC school.

Morrisville was tied 1-1 at the end of one and only got outshot 11-4 (i say only because that's pretty good in comparison to the rest of the game)

Princeton scored two more in the second while outshooting the Mustangs 25-2. Opened up in the third with four goals and a total final shot tally of 57-11.

Morrisville split the game between three goalies. Their clear #1 goalie, Relkoff left with it tied 1-1.

Last year Morrisville lost 7-0, but it was pretty much the same story as this year. Relkoff left the game with it tied 0-0 after one.

What does all this mean?...Yeah probably nothing. But still, with how rare D-III vs D-I games have become over the last 10 years thought it was worth mentioning and seeing what type of discussion we could generate.
    Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 10-24-2010, 08:20 AM.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: Princeton/Morrisville Exhibition Series

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    I feel like this series (yes they played last year in an exhibition game as well) has been severely overlooked for how rare of an occurence these types of games are now.

Morrisville split the game between three goalies. Their clear #1 goalie, Relkoff left with it tied 1-1.

Last year Morrisville lost 7-0, but it was pretty much the same story as this year. Relkoff left the game with it tied 0-0 after one.

What does all this mean?...Yeah probably nothing. But still, with how rare D-III vs D-I games have become over the last 10 years thought it was worth mentioning and seeing what type of discussion we could generate.
    I'm with you on this one, it is a rare (current era) matchup - and while certainly an exhibition game for Princeton - it is a great opportunity/experience for the Morrisville's players - and some competive ice time for the some of the Princeton "backup players" Much like the Plattsburgh/Spartak game will always be a highlight of my hockey fan experiences.

And Relkoff – simply he is the real deal – I wonder how he would do with a top line defense, but I’m glad he is there to help Morrisville as they continue their rise up from the bottom from “a middle of the pack to bottom feeder SUNYAC school.”

Last year.
    Last edited by norm1909; 10-24-2010, 10:31 AM.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Does anyone know why these teams have a link to each other? it seems rather out of the blue that all of a sudden a D-I ECAC team is playing a middle of the pack to bottom feeder SUNYAC school.
      Without double checking, I believe someone on Morrisville's coaching staff (head coach?) was an assistant at Princeton.

edit: I can't find any info to back up my statement, and it looks like Grady was never an assistant at Princeton. But you're right, there is a connection there and I remember hearing about it when it was first announced that the two schools would play a year or two ago. Maybe they coached together at U18 or U16 camps or something, or maybe it was simply that Grady fed some players through to Princeton during his tenure at the prep school he came from...
      Last edited by altazo; 10-24-2010, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
        And Relkoff – simply he is the real deal – I wonder how he would do with a top line defense,
        Don't say it too loud, I'm sure Oswego wouldn't mind another inter-conference transfer.....
        Remy Babineaux
        remyb616@gmail.com
        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
          Don't say it too loud, I'm sure Oswego wouldn't mind another inter-conference transfer.....
          I think Oswego has their tender in Beckwith.

But there is no doubt that Relkoff may very well be the best goaltender in the SUNYAC and one of the best in the East.
          GO LAKERS!!!
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

I guess the D 1 teams have nothing to gain. Winning is the bottom line these days not sportsmanship. If D 1 team loses to a D 3 it's a disaster. If they win well thats what they were supposed to do. It would be nice to see what an Oswego would do against an Atlantic Conf team. They have a strong team again this year. They have, maybe, the best program in D 3 from a recruitment standpoint. Great facility. Great student support. A coach who let's them play without trying to prove he's in charge all the time. I think they are starting to stand alone in the SUNYAC. Selleck to Panthers Musselwhite in Europe. It's a big draw when guys start going places. Where do other guys end up from the SUNYAC the Southern Pro League?

Comment

Henry I agree, I think a good game that would be doable would be an exhibition game between OSU and RIT, both teams made their respective frozen fours last year, and are relatively close to each other, maybe 80 or 90 miles. It would give some more legitimacy to Division III, and I do think Oswego could hold their own.
              http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
                Henry I agree, I think a good game that would be doable would be an exhibition game between OSU and RIT, both teams made their respective frozen fours last year, and are relatively close to each other, maybe 80 or 90 miles. It would give some more legitimacy to Division III, and I do think Oswego could hold their own.
                Which is why it likely wouldn't happen. I doubt a game like this gets scheduled if it wasn't obvious princeton would hand morissville. The D1 team would have absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose in this matchup. They win 17-0 it's a glorififed exhibition, if they lose the game it could be disastrous for recruiting, no matter how much their fans would like it.

Comment

Originally posted by one_to7 View Post
                  Which is why it likely wouldn't happen. I doubt a game like this gets scheduled if it wasn't obvious princeton would hand morissville. The D1 team would have absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose in this matchup. They win 17-0 it's a glorififed exhibition, if they lose the game it could be disastrous for recruiting, no matter how much their fans would like it.
                  You got it, both teams understand what this game meant - a chance for Morrisville to see the best competition they will face all season and ice time for the Princeton players unlikely to see much more the rest of the season. Princeton always had their top lines if needed. RIT is in a bottom feed DI conference, Oswego a top flight DIII conference, Oswego could very likely hold their own against ANY of RIT's lines (probably not dominate, but certainly hold their own). Adrian found it extremely difficult to find DIII teams they could their own against to play them, you won't see DI teams that can only that can only "hold their own" volunteer to face a DIII. Sad and unfortunate for the DIII fans, but realistic and reluctantly understandable.
                  Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

How does a Princeton/Morrissville thread morph into an Oswego thread???
                    Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

I thought Relkoff was going to win that game in the semis, but his D forgot the game was 3 periods and not too. I used to like the old Frozen 64 thread. I know that it was only a thread on the board, but it did have the hypothetical D III vs. DI matchup.
                      Twitter: DanMountSports
                      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
                        How does a Princeton/Morrisville thread morph into an Oswego thread???
                        Oswego, for me at least, was mearly representative of a top flight DIII program, in the DI/DIII exhibition thread.
                        Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                          I thought Relkoff was going to win that game in the semis, but his D forgot the game was 3 periods and not too. I used to like the old Frozen 64 thread. I know that it was only a thread on the board, but it did have the hypothetical D III vs. DI matchup.
                          Yeah that was pretty sweet that a D-I poster did that. The D-III team usually always got trashed but it was still cool to be a part of it.
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Does anyone know why these teams have a link to each other?
                            Yes.
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                              Yes.
                              Well...?
                              LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment