Merrimack at UVM 10/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merrimack at UVM 10/23

Initial thoughts, comments, predictions?
    Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Re: Merrimack at UVM 10/23

Do you not have any for Merrimack?

UVM :

Stacey lit it up against DU on Friday night for 4 goals before being injured in the beginning of Saturday's game. He should be on the ice for this weekend's tilt. Stacey avged nearly a ppg last season and looked good while on the ice. The incoming freshman are going to be a strong class. Brickley is very aggresive as well as being talented. White looked pretty good as did Lenz and Decenzo. Stalberg and McCarthy should pick it up some and start generating some offense but overall UVM's offense is going to be average.

Defense made a few mistakes but all in all were pretty solid. Bruneteau on D has the ability to run the power play which UVM sorely needs, however was a little shaky holding pucks in the zone. UVM's defense will be strong and it was nice to see them start using their size. Lawson put up a real nice hit and overall they are using their bodies more then in past years.

Goaltending is solid, Madore is playing well, giving up 5 goals over 2 games against DU. Fri night he was hung out to dry on a few of those goals and he held the New Brunsick Varsity Reds scoreless for 40 minutes as well. He is solid and it's going to take a deflected puck, screen, or rebound to get one by.

Without seeing the games it's tough to make a call on MC. The 7-1 win against UConn is a good win, but against one of the weakest teams in the NCAA...not sure how much it indicates much of anything. The 4-4 tie with Niagara wasn't what I expected, but again I didn't see the games only reading the recaps.

Prediction UVM wins 3-1
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

haha I have plenty, I'm kinda bored in class, so I wanted to kick off the thread but didn't want to spend too much time with my head down tapping away on my iphone
      Last edited by Salvo1017; 10-19-2010, 12:23 PM.

@SalvucciM

Comment

This is the best Merrimack team since 1988, if not ever. Da Costa, Barton and Cucci obviously lead the way up front, but the depth is very solid. Defensively, MC is very good, with two very good freshmen defenseman and Karl Stollery and Kyle Bigos are proven returnees. Cannata came in with a lot of hype and finally lit it up the last 10 or so games of last year. UVM is obviously a solid squad. What worries me is that the Gutt is a tough place to play and MC went 2-0-1 against the Catamounts last year so revenge might be a big factor. I'd bet the house both these teams are in the 3-6 category in the standings at the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
          UVM :
          Stacey lit it up against DU on Friday night for 4 goals before being injured in the beginning of Saturday's game. He should be on the ice for this weekend's tilt. Stacey avged nearly a ppg last season and looked good while on the ice. The incoming freshman are going to be a strong class. Brickley is very aggresive as well as being talented. White looked pretty good as did Lenz and Decenzo. Stalberg and McCarthy should pick it up some and start generating some offense but overall UVM's offense is going to be average.

Defense made a few mistakes but all in all were pretty solid. Bruneteau on D has the ability to run the power play which UVM sorely needs, however was a little shaky holding pucks in the zone. UVM's defense will be strong and it was nice to see them start using their size. Lawson put up a real nice hit and overall they are using their bodies more then in past years.

Goaltending is solid, Madore is playing well, giving up 5 goals over 2 games against DU. Fri night he was hung out to dry on a few of those goals and he held the New Brunsick Varsity Reds scoreless for 40 minutes as well. He is solid and it's going to take a deflected puck, screen, or rebound to get one by.

Without seeing the games it's tough to make a call on MC. The 7-1 win against UConn is a good win, but against one of the weakest teams in the NCAA...not sure how much it indicates much of anything. The 4-4 tie with Niagara wasn't what I expected, but again I didn't see the games only reading the recaps.

Prediction UVM wins 3-1
          Overall the Catamounts have a strong team, they may have the most underrated goaltending in Hockey East. I also really like the way Sneddon builds his defense--by recruiting behemoths haha. No matter how you slice it, UVM will be a tough test for the Warriors, by forcing the forwards to navigate though the defensive trees or forcing them to beat Madore in crunch time...

Based on what I've seen so far from MC:

-Merrimack doesn't have to rely on one line anymore, they can roll four lines comfortably that are capable of producing results (11 players with a point vs Niagara, 14 players with a point vs UCONN). The scoring has been very balanced thusfar, and combined with the same energy and grit last year's team showed, it's a great show to watch.

-Defensively MC has looked both very good and very bad, which is part of the challenge of feeling out the beginning of a season. I liked what I saw in the UCONN game for large stretches, but facing the Catamounts is a big test for the freshman D.

One thing that will be key to watch over the weekend is the first period. UVM has been off for a week and MC played on Saturday. UVM may have to shake off the rust for the first 10 minutes...
          "Get used to this drill, we'll be doing it a lot."
          "Why?"
          "Because the legs feed the wolf, gentlemen..."

Comment

Good point DJ, I think the rust will play to merrimack's advantage. Merrimack has been struggling with giving up the early goal, they've bounced back just fine when that has happened but in HE play it won't be as easy. I think the fact that UVM hasn't ayes a game in two weeks will help in that regard.

Time for the new Merrimack defenders to step up and make a name for themselves.

@SalvucciM

Comment

Looks like another offense loss for the UVM Catamounts: Tobias Nilsson-Roos will not play Saturday with a torn muscle in his chest (as per the Burlington Free Press).

I am willing to bet UVM fans are thrilled to have Wahsontiio Stacey getting back in the lineup for this tilt...
              "Why?"

Comment

I'd really like to see the "ROAD Warriors" this weekend and put an end to the myth regarding this team's ability to win on the road. The extra space on the ice surface is going to help the "rookies" and they will factor large is Merrimack's victory.

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
                Good point DJ, I think the rust will play to merrimack's advantage. Merrimack has been struggling with giving up the early goal, they've bounced back just fine when that has happened but in HE play it won't be as easy. I think the fact that UVM hasn't ayes a game in two weeks will help in that regard.

Time for the new Merrimack defenders to step up and make a name for themselves.

Comment

The Cats had both home games pretty well in hand last year in each third period but gave up the tying goal late on Friday and then the tying and winning goals late on Saturday, so it is not over until it's over.....

Roos is a big loss, he played great against Denver, and with Pacan gone and Roos done for a while they are really thin up front. I wonder if coach will move another D up front or just play Albebertson or B Herrington instead. Either way UVM does not have the depth to handle injuries this year with departures and recruits being pushed back due to injuries.

Should be a good game though. Really an important game early in the season with the Cats facing Maine and BU in three of the next six games....

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                    The Cats had both home games pretty well in hand last year in each third period but gave up the tying goal late on Friday and then the tying and winning goals late on Saturday, so it is not over until it's over.....

Roos is a big loss, he played great against Denver, and with Pacan gone and Roos done for a while they are really thin up front. I wonder if coach will move another D up front or just play Albebertson or B Herrington instead. Either way UVM does not have the depth to handle injuries this year with departures and recruits being pushed back due to injuries.

Should be a good game though. Really an important game early in the season with the Cats facing Maine and BU in three of the next six games....
                    Call me crazy, but this matchup sounds more like a 2-1 or 3-2 type of game. I find it hard to believe it will be a blowout on either side. Vermont, given those injuries, will need to rely heavily on the D. If they can hold MC to under 3 goals, they will have success.

The Warriors can sympathize with the Catamounts' upcoming schedule difficulty. Merrimack faces BC on the road when they raise their banner and then again at Lawler Arena the next day.
                    "Why?"

Comment

This one could go either way, wouldn't be surprised if it ended tied. I'm a believer in Merrimack, they've always been very tough for the Cats and now they seem to have overall stability and depth added to the same hard work ethic which makes for another very tough chase for 2 points.

Comment

Why isn't this game on B2? Doesn't Vermont televise their games over the net?

Comment

Originally posted by Ogilthorpe View Post
                          This one could go either way, wouldn't be surprised if it ended tied. I'm a believer in Merrimack, they've always been very tough for the Cats and now they seem to have overall stability and depth added to the same hard work ethic which makes for another very tough chase for 2 points.
                          Nice work with the crystal ball Ogilthorpe! 2-2 was the final, and like you mention, the game could have gone either way--especially after a UVM goal was disallowed in the 3rd. Both teams had flurries of offense and neither really dominated play. Overall, it was a defensive game--which from MC's perspective is a positive development on the back end.

Now it's on to BC for the Warriors to take on the champs...
                          "Why?"

Comment

Funny thing about last nights game was at times you felt like a tie would be an disapointment and then 5 minutes later you would be happy to get one.

I hate to say it but it was a good call by the refs on the no-goal, granted they couldnt make the correct call of goalie interference(dont think they can call penalties
                            from the review)so they called something that at least pulled the goal of the scoreboard.

Gotta feel for Stacey who kept trying to play but just couldnt stay on the ice. Also great work by Leonard just before the Albertson goal, Brent has surely come a long way
                            from last year.
                            New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

That was a good up and down hockey game last night. Merrimack has a nice team, they will compete for home ice and probably end up in the 4-7 range with UVM. There are no easy games in league play this year. Both teams had a number of great opportunities that they didn't convert. I thought both goalies played great, both Madore and the Merrimack keeper made great saves in the last minute of overtime on transition plays.

Comment

Working...
                              X