UNO @ Michigan 10/23-24: Your Hate Has Made You Powerful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNO @ Michigan 10/23-24: Your Hate Has Made You Powerful

Seems a little early for a CCHA reunion, but should be a good 'un. UNO looked strong sweeping the Gophers on the road, but certainly Yost will be a tougher test. By all accounts, the WCHA's most hated team and fans got nothing on you guys.

M looks strong, particularly since nobody went pro this year. M appears to have remembered it is talented after being swept in Omaha last year. I see Louie Caporusso is in his ninth year of eligibility.

Discuss.

Re: UNO @ Michigan 10/23-24: Your Hate Has Made You Powerful

I'd be a lot more optomistic if UM could keep out of the box.

Based on our other two NC games, I will go out on a limb and predict 3-3 and 4-4.....

Comment

Originally posted by MavRick View Post
      Seems a little early for a CCHA reunion, but should be a good 'un. UNO looked strong sweeping the Gophers on the road, but certainly Yost will be a tougher test. By all accounts, the WCHA's most hated team and fans got nothing on you guys.

M looks strong, particularly since nobody went pro this year. M appears to have remembered it is talented after being swept in Omaha last year. I see Louie Caporusso is in his ninth year of eligibility.

Discuss.
      I think your real test in the W will not be a downtrodden Gopher team. Scattered talent and undisciplined play by most accounts, the last few seasons. But, that is a topic for the fans sitting 30,000 feet above the rest of college hockey. Welcome to the flight club. I see cap'n Blais has you indoctrinated already. Hudson and co. are playing well. Speaking of ninth season, isn't Faulkner, Purslow etc. turning 30 something? I half expect to see Nick Fohr suit up, too.

As far as Michigan, typical team- speedy quick, undisciplined. More balanced this season and more depth, especially at forward. Probably not as lofty as their current rankings, but can compete with any team, any style, even those hallowed W teams. They haven't forgotten the little send off from last year, either. Just the same, the neutered cow collective will pose a threat because of size, skill and speed- something I figure will make this a special teams shootout this weekend. The Yosties and their own send off committee should be at their peak, too. I expect the typical stereotype swipes from both sides, and the same tired bovine excuses about officiating, too.

Comment

Caporusso - a 21 year old Sr., what a concept. The names that last are those that have an impact all four years. UNO typically has 25 year old seniors.

Not happy with M's 2-0-2 start so far. The team needs to start playing to the talent level, as it has more than most teams. A key challenge for this weekend is to limit rebounds and prevent UNO from crashing the net. UNO specializes in cleaning up near the net.

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
          Caporusso - a 21 year old Sr., what a concept. The names that last are those that have an impact all four years. UNO typically has 25 year old seniors.

Not happy with M's 2-0-2 start so far. The team needs to start playing to the talent level, as it has more than most teams. A key challenge for this weekend is to limit rebounds and prevent UNO from crashing the net. UNO specializes in cleaning up near the net.
          Yup, always good to not have a smallish senior class. Hasn't happened in these parts for a decade or so- that is- no defections. And yes, my comments were targeted at the roster age of the UNOers. Seems that this isn't the same UNO team, though that was under Kemp. Good senior class, better freshmen depth and contributions. More of a thump to go with the swagger. I fear that they will try to outmuscle our defense and cycle down low. (I keep seeing visions of the Miami sweep last season, especially the second game rout and go, ay-yi-yi. Tristin is on the crap list again.) Apparently they have the largest roster in D1 hockey, at roughly 6'1" and 200 lbs. According to what I am reading in the W threads and blogs, they have the speed to match, too. Of course, Minnesota is not the same barometer to judge from, especially defensively, and CCHA officiating may be as... pricckly as the way the W officials called the game last saturday- with UNO drawing like six straight calls, including a 5 minute major, plus one during that penalty. These games could be ugly and choppy.

I , too am not thrilled by inconsistent effort/execution by the team- but so far the tie at home against a mediocre Mercyhurst team that got swept by... WMU... at their place... is really the only blemish. How many games has Michigan totally outplayed/outshot an opponent only to have their goaltender steal the game? Too many times. Glad we were finally on the receiving end of one of those, even if it was a tie. If they don't show up this weekend amped to play hard for 60 minutes each night, they will have the glass slipper fall off. UNO is not going to show any quarter, especially with all the venom built up from their fanbase. If last year wasn't enough, a grand showing at Yost- a house of horrors for them in past years- will exorcise plenty of the demons. That is only one of the bylines I can imagine in this matchup this weekend- with the CCHA defection, the pride of the W, the Blais /Berenson factor etc. all topics for the bloggers.

Comment

These first two road series are great for UNO - Play in tough buildings and teach the freshman what it is like to be in an intimidating environment against talented teams - Won't likely see anything worse then Yost all year. Played extremely well at the "U" last week and survived two comeback efforts by the Gophers that got the crowd into the game big time.

If Michigan is much better than last year so is UNO. Michigan has better talent on paper and has had the experience of playing a top 10 in New Hampshire in their barn. UNO has a terrific mix of youth and experience. Should be fun!
            UNO Maverick Hockey - It doesn't get any better than this!

Comment

Gooooo Mavericks!

Comment

split. UNO will win friday night. Saturday night the cheap shots will abound.
                UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Wow! Michigan week already. Crazy. I agree with folks on here that this should be a fantastic series, and hopefully we get some free flowing hockey instead of the choppy, special teams laden games that folks fear.

I think this will be a split, with Michigan coming out flying on Friday night. It also seems like winning here means a lot to the UNO seniors, as they've never done it and this is the last chance.

One thing of note that hasn't been brought up yet, is the improvement of UNO Netminder John Faulkner. In each game, he's made a few dazzling saves, and seems to be seeing in position to make the save consistently. He hasn't been charged with stealing a game yet, but this is a year where a clear # 1 goalie is needed, and so far, he's risen to the challenge.

Comment

For the first time, probably ever, I think that UNO and UM are at least comparable in talent level from the top line down. At least in terms of raw talent. The last time I can remember finding comparable matchups between players was 2007 and then it was on the top 2 lines and our goaltender situation was less than stellar.

So, on that note, I am very excited to see how the two teams match up this weekend. I fear that the big story of the evening will be penalty minutes. UNO hasn't really found a way to maneuver their 6'1/200-pound bodies around without getting a stick between the legs or a pair of arms to the head. Michigan it seems has had similar penalty trouble but more from a lack of discipline (I can't speak from personal observation, it's just what I've read on post-game analyses) but hopefully that won't mire the game too much.

As Streaker has already mentioned, UNO's biggest plus is that they are really, really good at crashing the net and burying rebounds (which, as a long-time fan, is something new to us) -- our biggest weakness that I've seen is that we allow far too many odd-man rushes and our puck control along the boards has given us headaches (i.e. popping onto a wide open opponent's stick in front of the net) -- both goaltenders could steal the game either night if these trends continue. It'll likely be a high-scoring affair.

Players to watch out for...

Joey Martin and Rich Purslow -- Not going to be a new set of names for Michigan fans but this year they are reminding me a bit of Hoggan/Brisson circa 2001 when it comes to scoring punch.

Matt White -- jokingly called 'The Messiah' here because of how good he's supposed to be, Funny thing though, he might actually be THAT good. He's averaged at least a point a game so far which is pretty impressive for a freshman.

Alex Hudson and Terry Broadhurst - I like to think of these guys as our aces in the hole. When either player is having a good night, he's usually having a REALLY good night. Hudson has been the hero as of late with the Friday game in Minn. and the game a couple weeks ago now against RIT. Broadhurst has had countless breakaways to the net that just haven't capitalized. Still, he's also averaging at least one point a game so - not bad.

Michael Young - He's been kicked out of the game twice this year for contact to the head penalties but has a +6

Andrej Sustr - 6'8 and 200 lbs. - he's got potential to be a Zdeno Chara like player for us, and in the NHL at some point.

Eric Olimb - A name that's highly touted in some circles but more of a walk softly and carry a big stick kind of guy. As a defenseman he's provided 6 assists and is +7; look for him to be on the ice with Purslow/White/Martin

Also look out for Zahn Raubenheimer -- for those that remember Alex Nikiforuk, he's like Alex but with size to match his energy.

That's my analysis which I spent way too much writing but yeah, hoping for some good games this weekend!
                    UNLEASH THE FURY!

Comment

Originally posted by Unomaholic View Post
                      For the first time, probably ever, I think that UNO and UM are at least comparable in talent level from the top line down. At least in terms of raw talent. The last time I can remember finding comparable matchups between players was 2007 and then it was on the top 2 lines and our goaltender situation was less than stellar.

So, on that note, I am very excited to see how the two teams match up this weekend. I fear that the big story of the evening will be penalty minutes. UNO hasn't really found a way to maneuver their 6'1/200-pound bodies around without getting a stick between the legs or a pair of arms to the head. Michigan it seems has had similar penalty trouble but more from a lack of discipline (I can't speak from personal observation, it's just what I've read on post-game analyses) but hopefully that won't mire the game too much.

As Streaker has already mentioned, UNO's biggest plus is that they are really, really good at crashing the net and burying rebounds (which, as a long-time fan, is something new to us) -- our biggest weakness that I've seen is that we allow far too many odd-man rushes and our puck control along the boards has given us headaches (i.e. popping onto a wide open opponent's stick in front of the net) -- both goaltenders could steal the game either night if these trends continue. It'll likely be a high-scoring affair.

Players to watch out for...

Joey Martin and Rich Purslow -- Not going to be a new set of names for Michigan fans but this year they are reminding me a bit of Hoggan/Brisson circa 2001 when it comes to scoring punch.

Matt White -- jokingly called 'The Messiah' here because of how good he's supposed to be, Funny thing though, he might actually be THAT good. He's averaged at least a point a game so far which is pretty impressive for a freshman.

Alex Hudson and Terry Broadhurst - I like to think of these guys as our aces in the hole. When either player is having a good night, he's usually having a REALLY good night. Hudson has been the hero as of late with the Friday game in Minn. and the game a couple weeks ago now against RIT. Broadhurst has had countless breakaways to the net that just haven't capitalized. Still, he's also averaging at least one point a game so - not bad.

Michael Young - He's been kicked out of the game twice this year for contact to the head penalties but has a +6

Andrej Sustr - 6'8 and 200 lbs. - he's got potential to be a Zdeno Chara like player for us, and in the NHL at some point.

Eric Olimb - A name that's highly touted in some circles but more of a walk softly and carry a big stick kind of guy. As a defenseman he's provided 6 assists and is +7; look for him to be on the ice with Purslow/White/Martin

Also look out for Zahn Raubenheimer -- for those that remember Alex Nikiforuk, he's like Alex but with size to match his energy.

That's my analysis which I spent way too much writing but yeah, hoping for some good games this weekend!
                      Pretty good summary, probably not far from the truth about the talent gap.

Michigan depends on their top two lines for most of the scoring: Caporusso was held scoreless against UNH, but luckily our PP and others stepped up.
                      Chris Brown on the second line w/ Hagelin and Rust played well. Unexpected offense this season from third liner Scooter Vaughn. The sophomores/freshmen have yet to make a big splash, save defensemen Jon Merrill (offensive minded) and Mac Bennett (steady). Red mixes the lines from week to week, so you never know who you'll get except Hagelin and Rust together. The biggest improvement has been Brandon Burlon (more ice time/offense).

Michigan will eventually get you if you give them too many PP chances. They are strong on the PK, but offer way too many opportunities, like last season. Goaltending has been above average, can't really blame Hunwick for either tie, he actually preserved the UNH game. Hogan was not spectacular in his one start nor has he played a real talented opponent yet. It will be the X factor this season.

Overall, you won't see the same superstar firepower from Michigan and that doesn't allow them to take any shifts/periods off, which I think they have-or have been fatigued by playing over too many penalties. Last week was a wake up call to step up and this week will be an indication of what it will be like to play a big, physical team that can skate with them- much like Miami, but not quite like the Sioux. Blais has gathered a nice group together to play in the W.

Comment

Too early to start listening to Weasel Stomping Day?

http://video.adultswim.com/robot-chi...mping-day.html
                        UNO Maverick fan and Gopher hater, stuck in Husky country...

Comment

Originally posted by 5thYearFreshman View Post
                          Too early to start listening to Weasel Stomping Day?

http://video.adultswim.com/robot-chi...mping-day.html
                          Like I said, same tired stereotypes. Why don't you save the huck-hucks for the Mavpuck bunker fans? Save last season's first ever sweep at the new-old Civic, Mav fans have had nothing to stomp about.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                            Like I said, same tired stereotypes. Why don't you save the huck-hucks for the Mavpuck bunker fans? Save last season's first ever sweep at the new-old Civic, Mav fans have had nothing to stomp about.
                            Except beating the weasels at the joe in UNO's first year in the ccha. That was pretty funny to watch.
                            And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddJGJe90b5w
                            UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Anyone know Blais' record at Yost(w/UNO)? Last game there with UND was another NCAA screwing. The #1 team in the country should host the first round of the regionals but that is for another thread...
                              'If a man wants to eat fried chicken, he's gotta get greasy.' - Kenny Rogers

Fighting Sioux Hockey: Highest NCAA Playoff Winning Percentage

There's no more pompous group of sports fans in the Twin Cities than hardcore followers of Gophers men's hockey. That makes it quite entertaining to see them in full pout after an unexpected elimination from the NCAA tournament. - Reusse

Comment

Working...
                              X