Badgers visit Denver for the Battle of the Youngsters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badgers visit Denver for the Battle of the Youngsters

Two top ranked schools from last season who had their rosters decimated by graduation and pro signings will face each other for two games at Magness Arena this coming weekend. This will be one of the last times that the Badgers visit Denver as members of the WCHA. DU just had a really tough weekend with #1 BC at Magness and is nursing some injuries and illness. On the other hand Wisconsin rolled over unranked UAH 7-0 and 5-2. The Badgers are 3-1-0 with their other win being against unranked Holy Cross the previosu week and their one loss against #14 BU (now #10). DU is 1-2-1 with a win and tie on the road against #21 Vermont. Prior to this past weekend DU was ranked #6 and the Badgers #15. I would suspect they will be much closer in the rankings tomorrow with DU dropping down. I would expect both of these teams to get home ice (top 6) in the WCHA but whoever wins this coming weekend will be getting some big WCHA points in their quest for home ice.

For DU Soph Adam Murray will be in goal on Friday and Frosh Sam Brittain on Saturday. They actually played pretty well against BC last weekend and against UVM the week before. BC is the best team in the country by far and a lot of teams are going to get their lunch handed to them. DU didn't fare well against Wisconsin last year going 0-2-1 with one loss and tie coming in Madison and the other loss in the 3rd place game in the WCHA Final Five.
    Last edited by du78; 10-17-2010, 08:47 PM.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Re: Badgers visit Denver for the Battle of the Youngsters

Well, UW has a huge edge in goal with 2 seniors.

What does DU's D corps look like experience-wise? UW is in very good shape there.

UW's forwards are thin on experience, but there's some age to the freshmen. UW's 4th line players will have no more than 12 games of experience total.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

DU's d corps has the most experience with only 1 freshman (Makowski) playing regularly. Soph d-man William Wrenn has yet to play a game as he has a hamstring injury. Returning d-men Donovan (So), Nutini (Sr), Lee (Jr), Ryder (Sr) and Phillips (So) are pretty solid. Donovan probably had his 2 worst games of his career against BC last weekend. Up front DU struggled mightily last weekend against BC. The 3 seniors (Maiani-K. Ostrow-Martin) who have pretty much played together since they came to DU, have been broken up and dispersed throughout the line-up. Gwoz has tinkered with the forward lines every game. On the forward injury front Junior red shirt Dutsy Jackson is out with mono until at least Novemebr and frosh Nick Shore fractured his wrist in Vermont and did not play last weekend. Soph Drew Shore looks like he is ready to make the next step offensively and frosh Jason Zucker and Beau Bennett are regulars in the line up along with the injured Nick Shore. Junior Luke Salazar after a disappointing Soph season , looks to have re-dedicated himself and got the 2 goals against BC on Friday. The forwards are a work in progress without the departed Rakhshani, Ruegsegger and Colborne.

In goal, Adam Murray and Sam Brittain have held their own. Last Friday, Murray was hung out to dry by the rest of the players against BC in a game which could have easily been double figures. DU tightend up their play considerably on Saturday for Sam Brittain but couldn't find the back of the net. Talk about baptism by fire, last weeknd was a huge learning experience for the young Pio squad.
      Last edited by du78; 10-17-2010, 09:49 PM.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

There is so much unknown to both teams that this series could go either way. Denver has the advantage having home ice, but I think a split is going to be the result. I'd ask if this series is going to be televised, but I'm sure Dish Network will screw me out of it anyways.
        Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

I think the Friday night game is on FSN, no tv for Saturday though.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
            I think the Friday night game is on FSN, no tv for Saturday though.
            So unless Dish and Fox can resolve their cat fight, I will be following the Badger blog.

Comment

Friday night's game is on FSN Rocky Mountain and FCS Pacific at 7:30 PM MT. Saturday's game is webcast for a fee on Pioneer Vision at www.denverpioneers.com.

Comment

I anticipate two very close games...

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                  I anticipate two very close games...
                  In that case, I hope the video replay is fully functional this time.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                    Friday night's game is on FSN Rocky Mountain and FCS Pacific at 7:30 PM MT. Saturday's game is webcast for a fee on Pioneer Vision at www.denverpioneers.com.
                    It will be on FSN Wisconsin as well, obviously with the Rocky Mountain announcers. Thanks for the tip on the Saturday webcast.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                      It will be on FSN Wisconsin as well, obviously with the Rocky Mountain announcers. Thanks for the tip on the Saturday webcast.
                      Not if you have Dish Network, like me.

Because of the previously reported ****ing match between FOX and DISH, FOX has pulled FX, NATgeo, and more, AND some regional sports programming including Fox North and Fox Wisconsin. HOWEVER, Dish has temporarily put on some Comcast programming, Altitude, NESN, etc., and also some FOX (don't understand) FOXRM will be available on Dish on channel 9664 unless it's blacked out for some reason.

What is this world coming to? In Wisconsin, I can't get FoxWI or FoxNorth, but can get FoxRM.
                      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                        Saturday night's Pioneer Vision broadcast should have former DU and NHL player Mark Rycroft doing the color. He was a big hit with DU fans last Saturday.
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                          Not if you have Dish Network, like me.

Because of the previously reported ****ing match between FOX and DISH, FOX has pulled FX, NATgeo, and more, AND some regional sports programming including Fox North and Fox Wisconsin. HOWEVER, Dish has temporarily put on some Comcast programming, Altitude, NESN, etc., and also some FOX (don't understand) FOXRM will be available on Dish on channel 9664 unless it's blacked out for some reason.

What is this world coming to? In Wisconsin, I can't get FoxWI or FoxNorth, but can get FoxRM.
                          I get that channel, but the quality is so poor it's almost unwatchable.

Comment

I'll be at the game Sat night with family...cheering on the Badgers. Will be eating at a place nearby just before the game. Hope to see a lot of Badger fans this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                              The Fox Channels are branded Fox Sports, but actual ownership of each Fox regional network varies. FSN Rocky Mountain is based in Denver and is a subsidiary of
                              DIRECTV Sports Networks, which also operates the regional sports networks FSN Northwest and FSN Pittsburgh.

Comment

Working...
                              X