PDA

View Full Version : Battle of interstate 94: Huskies @ Gophers

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

First Time, Long Time
10-22-2010, 12:28 AM
I ain't sandbagging. We're gonna kick your arse. Twice.

Just like last year right?

Dude Love
10-22-2010, 02:32 AM
Yes, they mistakingly tried to forge the river...

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6459/tombstonex.jpg

HarleyMC
10-22-2010, 05:58 AM
"unprecedented disaster" is a false depiction of last year's defensive effort.
Last year they gave up 4 or more in 13 out of the 39 they played. The year before, they gave up 4 or more in 11 out of 37 games. So a whopping increase of 4% from '08-'09 to '09-'10. Also worth noting that overall GAA actually improved by .02 gpg (which, admittedly, is insignificant - although not any more than the 4% increase you called unprecedented).

Thank you for bringing those stats to our attention. I didn't elaborate on them since my comment was more specifically directed to Scooby's comment regarding last season's "stellar" defensive effort. In my view, both 08-09, 09-10 could be considered defensive disaster seasons in comparison to the past 5 years. Furthermore, my research at the end of last season indicated that most defensemen regressed in their offensive performances from the previous season as well.

"Unprecedented" by definition, in reference to the 13 games of 4 or more goals allowed in the 09-10 season, is an accurate description: "without previous instance; never before known or experienced".

I think Scooby's point, which I agree with, is that last year's 2.82 GAA (while certainly not spectacular) was head and shoulders better than the 4.0 GAA they are currently rocking through 4 games this season.

The bright side is that there are still a lot of games to be played this year.

Of course, that could be the down side too, depending on how you want to look at it....

Apparently you have not been following along. His original point was, "But, last year when they couldn't score they usually kept the other teams scoring in check". That is not correct. Furthermore, a season's GAA and a GAA after 4 games are not salient correlating coefficients and subsequently have zero external validity. Correlational research cannot infer causation unless there is accurate construct validity which you don't have in this case.

As I stated previously, I prefer to give a young team like the Gophers more than 4 games before one can accurately make any valid and reliable assessments regarding trends which was my response to Scooby's original errant comment. Your "bright side" comment seems to affirm that. Keep in mind, construct, internal, and external validity are always dependent upon sample size.:)

ScoobyDoo
10-22-2010, 06:50 AM
Just like last year right?

In the last two years Minnesota is 6-2 vs. JBSU.

Just saying.

Bakunin
10-22-2010, 07:33 AM
In my view, both 08-09, 09-10 could be considered defensive disaster seasons in comparison to the past 5 years.
It's a little muddled to name the past two seasons as awful in comparison to the last five (since those two seasons constitute 40% of the last five). :p

Furthermore, my research at the end of last season indicated that most defensemen regressed in their offensive performances from the previous season as well.
I don't think that required research. Given the team's inability to score goals, any casual observer could have established that by simply watching the games.

I prefer to give a young team like the Gophers more than 4 games before one can accurately make any valid and reliable assessments regarding trends which was my response to Scooby's original errant comment.
While true based on limited sample size, I have a nagging suspicion that things are unlikely to improve given who is coaching the D. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so; I see this team scoring more goals this season, but in the end, all signs are pointing to another mediocre season. Getting swept at home by any opponent is unacceptable.

Bronzebacks
10-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Koho,

The name is in reference to what I much rather be doing all day, fishing for Micropterus dolomieu (Smallmouth Bass). At times I wish it was my profession, but if I chose to pursue that, I would negate my favorite escape from the world.

Hope both our teams can show some improvement this weekend. After all, we hold a common bond... loathing of dirty UNDies.

The Exiled One
10-22-2010, 08:34 AM

Just saying.
EXACTLY!! Goofers sweep.

ScoobyDoo
10-22-2010, 08:40 AM
EXACTLY!! Goofers sweep.

In the poles that matter JBSU has the edge.

Huskies sweep.

gopher wes
10-22-2010, 09:06 AM
I wish I could understand what you guys are trying to pull by picking the opposing team to sweep. I just did it because I wanted to be like Scooby and try this whole pessimism thing. The Exiled One is throwing me off a bit now.....

Husky4Life
10-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Huskies are starting slowly this year, because they are not used to being the favorite and having good things said about them all off season. They need to forget all that preseason crap and get to work.

I smell a split in rodentville

First Time, Long Time
10-22-2010, 10:32 AM

Just saying.

And last year Minnesota was 0-2 which is all I was referencing.
Just saying.
If either team wants a sweep, they'd better show up to play, any sleepwalking hands the game to the oter squad IMO.

Driftryder
10-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Jan got her training bra off last year will she grow a rack this year?

The Exiled One
10-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Jan got her training bra off last year will she grow a rack this year?

Yes

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/data/967/18466Eve_Plumb02.jpg

state of hockey
10-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Meh. No rear. Not interested.

SCSU Euro
10-22-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm gonna do something CRAZY here; I'm not gonna sandbag, and I'm not gonna pick a sweep.

SCSU 5-2 Friday, 4-4 Sunday, and as much as people wanna put the Gophers down, they're a competant enough team that I'll gladly take 3 points on the road.

ScoobyDoo
10-22-2010, 11:25 AM
And last year Minnesota was 0-2 which is all I was referencing.
Just saying.
If either team wants a sweep, they'd better show up to play, any sleepwalking hands the game to the oter squad IMO.

Hoeffel was out both games. Just saying.

gopher wes
10-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Hoeffel was out both games. Just saying.
Hoeffel = Husky killer

Bronzebacks
10-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Hoeffel = Husky killer

Hoeffel= Puppy Killer. We're big dogs now. Haven't you heard? ;)

gopher wes
10-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Hoeffel= Puppy Killer. We're big dogs now. Haven't you heard? ;)
I'm feeling left out of the loop. When did this happen? Must be that your team is now considering itself legitimate after that one tourney win huh?;) I was there and my team wasn't, so that is as much joking as I will do on that topic:)

Skeeterman
10-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Does the winner of this battle get I-94?