Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010-2011 Patty Kazmaier Thread: Congrats to Meghan Duggan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all for the sad injury info. I feel there was more injury attrition from the Kaz race than usual this season.

Comment

Great article on Duggan.

Makes an extremely strong case for her Kaz candidacy, in addition to the strong case already apparent from the stats.

http://m.host.madison.com/mobile/sports/columnists/andy_baggot/article_b6b445ec-3591-11e0-9d63-001cc4c002e0.html

Comment

Re: 2010-2011 Patty Kazmaier Thread

And Duggan with a hat trick tonight, Knight with 2 goals, against North Dakota.

Comment

Like Duggan, Agosta also had a 5 point weekend (on the road). although against a much weaker Syracuse.
          (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Originally posted by RStarr View Post
            Like Duggan, Agosta also had a 5 point weekend (on the road). although against a much weaker Syracuse.
            i think this is the point everyone has been making as it relates to her numbers vs Knight, Duggan, Phillip-Poulin,etc. glad you see the light.
            even if you're on the right path, you'll get run over if you just sit there

Comment

Originally posted by RStarr View Post
              Jocelyne Larocque had a six-point weekend on the road vs. Ohio State. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerFan11 View Post
                i think this is the point everyone has been making as it relates to her numbers vs Knight, Duggan, Phillip-Poulin,etc. glad you see the light.
                *****http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/3699/es9.gif******
                Originally posted by JosephPSchmoe View Post
                Jocelyne Larocque had a six-point weekend on the road vs. Ohio State. Just saying.
                +1.

actually, +2. because I love Barto that much.
                (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Meghan Agosta

RUTHVEN, ONT. > Ice Hockey

Agosta, a senior forward at Mercyhurst College, scored three goals and had one assist in a 6--2 win over Wayne State to become the alltime leading scorer in NCAA women's hockey (286 points). A three-time All-America, she won gold at the 2006 Turin Olympics and again at the 2010 Vancouver Games, where she was named women's hockey MVP.
                  Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN FAN View Post
                    Meghan Agosta

RUTHVEN, ONT. > Ice Hockey

Agosta, a senior forward at Mercyhurst College, scored three goals and had one assist in a 6--2 win over Wayne State to become the alltime leading scorer in NCAA women's hockey (286 points). A three-time All-America, she won gold at the 2006 Turin Olympics and again at the 2010 Vancouver Games, where she was named women's hockey MVP.
                    You got this off of Sports Illustrated faces in the Crowd

Comment

• Re: 2010-2011 Patty Kazmaier Thread

Originally posted by hurstfan87 View Post
                      You got this off of Sports Illustrated faces in the Crowd
                      Thanks for the clarification.

I think Agosta deserves more than a Face in the Crowd from SI. How many other Olympic gold medalists get to be a mere face? I think it's kind of insulting to women's hockey to be honest. She's already achieved at the highest level of her sport. Is Sidney Crosby going to be in there next week? Maybe Shawn Johnson?

Look at the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faces_in_the_Crowd Lot's of famous people get to be a face -- but five years before they become famous!! Agosta belonged in here years ago.

Can you think of any other athlete who was more distinguished in their sport who ended up in Faces in the Crowd?

edit: Oh I just heard Caroline Wozniacki just regained the No. 1 rank in women's tennis: maybe she'd be a good faces in the crowd pick for next week. :P
                      Last edited by dave1381; 02-18-2011, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• Kaz 10 Voting Next Week!

The Kazmaier 10 ballot will be released this week, the latest it has ever been.

Here's my latest take on the 10:
                        Locks:
                        F Duggan, Knight, Agosta
                        D Fortino
                        G Raty, Schaus

Bubble (in):
                        F Stack, JLam, MLam-Kolls, Bendus

Bubble (out):
                        F Wakefield
                        G Martin, Lacasse

A few comments:

-- I hadn't considered Martin as a 10 candidate, but her numbers look better as she's gotten more starts and UMD's schedule has softened. Her GAA is now just a shade below Raty and Schaus, and her save percentage is up to .942, between Raty (.951) and Schaus (.937). Martin just hasn't had as many starts though -- her record is 12-5, while Raty is 22-5-2 and Schaus is 20-4-3. I think Martin will got some votes, but I'm not sure it'll be enough to displace any of the 7 leading forward candidates.

-- I considered Bendus as a lock last time, but not this time. I still think she clearly deserves to be in the top 10 based on her high overall scoring (4th per game), her clutch play against top opponents (a +3 3-assist effort against Cornell while Mercyhurst's other stars were -1), and her academic achievements which I assume are still stellar. So I think last year's winner still deserves top 10 status, despite the flood of Olympians back into the sport this year, and I will be disappointed if Bendus doesn't return to the 10.

Why I am concerned Bendus won't get it? (1) Mercyhurst is in a smaller conference, and when it comes the bubble, coaches are likely to throw votes to their conference (2) Bendus missed a few games, played 4 less than Scanzano and now trails her in total points (not per-game), so that may discourage voters, but it's silly to punish Bendus for Scanzano's resurgence.

But I still think Bendus clearly deserves the honor again, and I thought it was worth a bit of campaigning.

Comment

• Re: Kaz 10 Voting Next Week!

About the Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award

"An award of The USA Hockey Foundation, the Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award is presented annually to the top player in NCAA Division I women’s ice hockey. Other selection criteria include outstanding individual and team skills, sportsmanship, performance in the clutch, personal character, competitiveness and a love of hockey. Consideration is also given to academic achievement and civic involvement." ~pattykaz.com

=Agosta

Comment

= duggan

Comment

• Re: Kaz 10 Voting Next Week!

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                              -- I hadn't considered Martin as a 10 candidate, but her numbers look better as she's gotten more starts and UMD's schedule has softened.
                              Apparently, she didn't even get nominated. Strange.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

The Kazmaier nomination process changed this year. The standards are higher for initial list of nominees. Coaches are allowed to nominate up to 5 players in their conference and 5 players nationally. A player must be nominated by two coaches (possibly including their own) to make the cut.

So Martin's absence reflects that none of the other 7 WCHA coaches thought she was top 5 in conference and no one thought she was top 5 in nation. That's actually somewhat reasonable considering her competition.

This process will limit the ability of any one conference to get more than 5 nominees, and it'll be easier to be a nominee in a smaller conference like the CHA. So the relative number of nominees by conference isn't really a reflection of conference strength. But to the extent that the purpose of this list is to narrow the pool to 10 players, and no conference has ever had more than 5 in the top 10, I'm fine with it.

2011 Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award Nominees

Name Pos Yr School Hometown
                                Meghan Agosta F Sr. Mercyhurst College Ruthven, Ont.
                                Kelly Babstock F Fr. Quinnipiac Univ. Mississauga, Ont.
                                Jenni Bauer G Sr. Niagara Univ. St. Catherines, Ont.
                                Vicki Bendus F Sr. Mercyhurst College Wasaga Beach, Ont.
                                Bailey Bram F Jr. Mercyhurst College Ste. Ann, Man.
                                Brianna Decker F So. Univ. of Wisconsin Dousman, Wis.
                                Meghan Duggan F Sr. Univ. of Wisconsin Danvers, Mass.
                                Laura Fortino D So. Cornell Univ. Hamilton, Ont.
                                Haley Irwin F Jr. Univ. of Minnesota Duluth Thunder Bay, Ont.
                                Brianne Jenner F Fr. Cornell Univ. Oakville, Ont.
                                Rebecca Johnston F Jr. Cornell Univ. Sudbury, Ont.
                                Hilary Knight F Jr. Univ. of Wisconsin Sun Valley, Idaho
                                Jocelyne Lamoureux F So. Univ. of North Dakota Grand Forks, N.D.
                                Monique Lamoureux-Kolls F/D So. Univ. of North Dakota Grand Forks, N.D.
                                Jocelyne Larocque D Sr. Univ. of Minnesota Duluth Ste. Ann, Man.
                                Isabel Menard F So. Syracuse Univ. Ottawa, Ont.
                                Hillary Pattenden G Jr. Mercyhurst College Surrey, B.C.
                                Marie-Philip Poulin F Fr. Boston Univ. Beauceville, Que.
                                Noora Raty G So. Univ. of Minnesota Espoo, Finland
                                Lauriane Rougeau D So. Cornell Univ. Beaconsfield, Que.
                                Jesse Scanzano F Sr. Mercyhurst College Montreal, Que.
                                Molly Schaus G Sr. Boston College Natick, Mass.
                                Jackee Snikeris G Sr. Yale Univ. Downington, Pa.
                                Kelli Stack F Sr. Boston College Brooklyn Heights, Ohio
                                Jenn Wakefield F Jr. Boston Univ. Pickering, Ont.
                                Catherine Ward D Sr. Boston Univ. Montreal, Que.

Comment

Working...
                                X