Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010-2011 Patty Kazmaier Thread: Congrats to Meghan Duggan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010-2011 Patty Kazmaier Thread

I defer to all of your collective knowledge on who should win this award; I haven't seen any of the top candidates, aside from those on Cornell (when I saw BC play Stack and Schaus weren't there).

But, as an observer of many sports and the voting for their various awards, I wonder if Agosta, should she make the final three, could possibly lose. She would then be a finalist for all four of her years and, human nature being what it is, would voters be emotionally swayed toward voting for her? A lot of voters for awards, whether they're for sports or for entertainment, engage in a kind of "catch up" mentality. I can imagine some voters would feel bad to have Agosta have to sit through one of these ceremonies a fourth time without winning the thing. If the statistics are close, and no other player is far and away the obvious choice, does Agosta get a leg up out of sentiment? (and I see that Agosta is leading the nation in scoring)

I hasten to add that I'm not saying Agosta should or should not win, just making an observation, and wondering whether the voters will be able to put aside such emotion.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincetonFan View Post
      A lot of voters for awards, whether they're for sports or for entertainment, engage in a kind of "catch up" mentality. ... If the statistics are close, and no other player is far and away the obvious choice, does Agosta get a leg up out of sentiment? (and I see that Agosta is leading the nation in scoring)
      That's an interesting topic. I question the use of "catch up" in this case, because that implies that the voters got it wrong and clearly should have given the award to Agosta in the past. No doubt, there are those that look just at stats or watch Agosta play all season who feel that way. However, there weren't many neutral observers at the 2009 Frozen Four that thought Kazmaier voters erred in their choice that season. Did you have a season in mind where the voters chose someone over Agosta where you feel hindsight revealed that was the wrong choice?
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I want Agosta to win (badly). In the last four seasons (and we aren't done yet) she's put up 289 points (curious to know where she stands among all time players, only one close I can think of is Chu). In her worst season, she still scored more points than Duggan did in her best season. I'll agree that points are only a part the equation, just like conference strength.

Meghan's been a beast all four years of college. Wouldn't it be awful to be a top three each of the 4 years but never the top candidate?

With that said, I don't think the Kaz committee will throw out any surprises. *****http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2139/yawncm.gif******
        (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Originally posted by RStarr View Post
          I want Agosta to win (badly). In the last four seasons (and we aren't done yet) she's put up 289 points (curious to know where she stands among all time players, only one close I can think of is Chu).
          Darwitz had 246 points in three seasons (99 games, Agosta's played 128) and got only one top 3 finish. Chu had 284 in 129 games.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            Darwitz had 246 points in three seasons (99 games, Agosta's played 128) and got only one top 3 finish.
            Whats that break down to in points per game?

And I've been mad at Kaz committee about Nat. I think the committee sucks (hence the 'no surprises' comment). Its probably made up of a bunch of brookyones. *****http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/860/lamev.gif******
            Last edited by RStarr; 02-06-2011, 03:17 PM. Reason: hints..hahha
            (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Whats that break down to in points per game?
              Darwitz is 2.48 PPG; Agosta currently at 2.26. Botterill might be the top, but I'll have to find her numbers.

Comment

Potter had 327 pts in 134 games for 2.44 PPG.
                Botterill had 340 pts in 113 games for 3.01 PPG.

Comment

I want Agosta to win (badly). In the last four seasons (and we aren't done yet) she's put up 289 points (curious to know where she stands among all time players, only one close I can think of is Chu). In her worst season, she still scored more points than Duggan did in her best season. I'll agree that points are only a part the equation, just like conference strength.

Meghan's been a beast all four years of college. Wouldn't it be awful to be a top three each of the 4 years but never the top candidate?

With that said, I don't think the Kaz committee will throw out any surprises. *****http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2139/yawncm.gif******
                  in regard to Agosta points... refer to post from 2 weeks ago on this thread. a significant percentage of those points come against weak teams. piling up 5 points for 'Hurst while beating a 2 win team by 8 goals doesn't necessarily signify a kaz winner IMO. giving the award to the top point scorer based on points only is overlooking the true nature of the award.
                  even if you're on the right path, you'll get run over if you just sit there

Comment

That' s out of control! I wonder about AJ Mleczko....
                    (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerFan11 View Post
                      in regard to Agosta points... refer to post from 2 weeks ago on this thread. a significant percentage of those points come against weak teams. piling up 5 points for 'Hurst while beating a 2 win team by 8 goals doesn't necessarily signify a kaz winner IMO. giving the award to the top point scorer based on points only is overlooking the true nature of the award.
                      If you read my post, you'll notice I said points are "only part of the equation, just like conference strength."

While I give Duggan props for playing in "the toughest conference ever known to women's hockey", Duggan has plenty of opportunity to rack up the points against more than few teams in the WCHA.

Don't worry, the Kaz crew won't pick Agosta, for they are simply too square.
                      (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Where did you get these numbers. Agosta just passed Julie Chu for most points all time with 289 points. Chu had the record at 285. I think that Agosta will have 300 points and also the record for most goals. She's only 2 goals from breaking that record to.

Comment

Originally posted by hurstfan87 View Post
                          Where did you get these numbers. Agosta just passed Julie Chu for most points all time with 289 points. Chu had the record at 285. I think that Agosta will have 300 points and also the record for most goals. She's only 2 goals from breaking that record to.
                          I was wondering the same. USCHO has Potter @ 163 points through 70 games (2.33) and Jennifer @ 190 points through 62 games (3.06).

Are the other points coming into play before official records were kept (late 90s?). oh, and USCHO is not generally known for accuracy.
                          (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Wiki has Jennifer listed as the NC$$ leader in points @ 319. As I suggested, some points were before official records.

So unofficially Jennifer is leader. Officially Julie was....until Agosta passed her.
                            (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

You really need to come around more often, RStarr. You're a breath of fresh air.

Comment

Originally posted by hurstfan87 View Post
                                Botterill's are from collegehockeystats. In the case of Potter, they are her UMD numbers for 3 seasons plus the numbers from her frosh season at Minnesota. Agosta most likely holds the record in total points during the NCAA era. Players like Potter and Botterill played some seasons before the NCAA started compiling records in 2000-2001, and RStarr asked about all-time numbers. There are probably some huge totals for Granato and the like, but I don't have a source for those.

I was wondering the same. USCHO has Potter @ 163 points through 70 games (2.33) and Jennifer @ 190 points through 62 games (3.06).

Are the other points coming into play before official records were kept (late 90s?). oh, and USCHO is not generally known for accuracy.
                                They probably only show NCAA numbers. The numbers for a player like Botterill will probably vary based on what games are considered exhibitions and excluded.

Wiki has Jennifer listed as the NC$$ leader in points @ 319. As I suggested, some points were before official records.

So unofficially Jennifer is leader. Officially Julie was....until Agosta passed her.

Comment

Working...
                                X