Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010-2011 Patty Kazmaier Thread: Congrats to Meghan Duggan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010-2011 Patty Kazmaier Thread

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
    Meghan Duggan -- I didn't even list her in my top 10 two weeks ago, and now after further review I think she's the leading candidate. She's the captain and leading scorer and plus-minus leader of the team which I consider to be No. 1 in the nation. Most importantly to me in distinguishing candidates, she has clutch points in key games. She's their leading scorer against both UMD and Minnesota too, not just Mankato and St Cloud. She had an extra attacker game-tying goal in their biggest win of the season. She hits all the key Kazmaier criteria.
    Knight might be a year away from winning.

Agosta, Bendus -- I expect Agosta will make the top 3 again as long as Mercyhurst keeps winning at it's current pace and she's the nation's leading scorer. But it's tougher for her to win without Mercyhurst being the 5th or 6th best team in the country. Mercyhurst's margin for error is simply smaller than the WCHA teams since their schedule isn't quite as strong. The remaining Cornell/Wisconsin games will be huge. Last game against Cornell, Agosta was shut out against Cornell, while Bendus had a standout performance.
    I think that at the time you wrote this, the assumption was still that Agosta would be missing the game vs Wisco. She was present, and did nothing to hurt her chances on the offensive end, with a nice primary assist and a late goal. In the defensive zone, if she's interested, she hides it well. She may have been the most talented player on the ice, but she certainly wasn't the best player, and maybe not even the best Meghan.

Bendus and Bram were absent, so it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to watch Bendus display her Kaz form in person.

Duggan had her usual high-level game all over the ice, with a nice snipe for a goal plus a primary assist on the lasting-lead goal. On the latter, she had several options, patiently waited, and chose the right one.

Knight was the human wrecking ball I've come to admire (and dread). If she follows this up with a big weekend in Duluth later this month, she may not be a year away after all.
    Last edited by ARM; 01-03-2011, 12:22 AM.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Thanks for the observations. I have to believe that Duggan and Knight are the two leading candidates with some breathing room, but there's still plenty of hockey left to go.

Comment

Thanks for the observations. I have to believe that Duggan and Knight are the two leading candidates with some breathing room, but there's still plenty of hockey left to go.
        another strong performance from the Wisco Duo vs #10 OSU. Duggan picks up 2, +5 night, extends the point streak to 17 games and as always, performs at both ends of the ice. Knight picks up 2 and 2, +4 night, and has another strong offensive performance (6 shots). It's tough to imagine both of these 2 not being in the final 3 ... one of (if not THE) best offensive weapons in the country, and probably the best two-way player in the world

Agosta also has a strong night with 2 and 2 , 9 shots and a +2 night (didn't see the game).
        even if you're on the right path, you'll get run over if you just sit there

Comment

when are the nominations announced?

Comment

Originally posted by True North 3 View Post
            when are the nominations announced?
            Feb 22 - nominations announced
            March 3 - final 10 announced
            March 10 - final 3 announced

Comment

How about Rachel Weber from Princeton, recently set ECAC record for consecutive scoreless minutes, and has been the catalyst for the Lady Tigers turnaround(IMO)

Comment

I'd say she's on track to be Second Team All-ECAC goalie, and she'll get nominated, but she probably isn't really in the Kazmaier 10 mix this season.

Comment

Is character and etc a factor for the Patty Kaz? Duggans got tons of that

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                  43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                  104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                  3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                    Is character and etc a factor for the Patty Kaz? Duggans got tons of that
                    Yup and yup. And the GPAs are made available to all coaches as well.

Comment

The 4-0 BU win over BC was interesting for the Kaz 10 race. Wakefield and Philip-Poulin have clearly solidified themselves as the best two players in Hockey East, as they've come up big in every top 10 game for BU this season. Same can't be said for Stack and Schaus who are now solidly on the bubble for the Kaz 10, while BC seems solidly the No. 8 team in the country in my opinion (though some case could be made to put them above North Dakota).

I think the 10 will come from the top 6 teams, with conference leaders Cornell (pick two), Wisconsin (Duggan, Knight), Mercyhurst (Agosta,Bendus), and BU (Wake, PP) all getting two players, and Raty for Minnesota and Irwin for UMD rounding out the top 10. Joceyln Lam for UND and Schaus for BC probably have the best chance to break into that, but if Schaus gets it it'll be on rep because she just hasn't had all that great a season. Probably the second Cornell player would be most on the bubble from the 10 I listed since Cornell has several candidates who will split votes.

Comment

Actually, I'd be interested to know who Cornell fans think is most deserving two players on their team for Kaz consideration.

i'd be inclined to go Mazzotta and Fortino if I had to pick two.

I think Cornell's offense is too balanced for the forwards to get recognition. That's reflected both in national stats and looking at some Cornell's key games this season.

Of course this next game against Mercyhurst will be huge.

Comment

While your two suggestions from Cornell are good ones, I would say Johnston and Jenner. As seen in the Mercyhurst game tonight, the team is deep and balanced. Mazzotta, who remains out with injury, leads the nation in GAA and save percentage, but is second on the team in both statistics.

Comment

The player that impressed me the most last night for Cornell was Paul Coffey...I mean Fortino. That number with her style/quality of play was causing flashbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by comefrombehind View Post
                              While your two suggestions from Cornell are good ones, I would say Johnston and Jenner. As seen in the Mercyhurst game tonight, the team is deep and balanced. Mazzotta, who remains out with injury, leads the nation in GAA and save percentage, but is second on the team in both statistics.
                              I fully agree now that Mazzotta isn't going to make the 10. But I think Fortino is a lock to make 10, and the success of Cornell regardless of goalie if anything will strengthen the case for a Cornell D to be on the list. She's the No. 2 scoring D on the No. 1 defensive team in the country, and she's coming off a First Team All-American season -- if any D ever makes the Kaz Top 10 it's her.

I agree Jenner and Johnston are both top players, and Johnston was probably the most dominant player at 4 Nations, but I still think they'll just miss the Kaz cut.

If I had to project 10 now I'd go
                              Wisconsin: Knight, Duggan
                              Mercyhurst: Agosta, Bendus
                              BU: Philip-Poulin, Wakefield
                              Cornell: Fortino
                              UMD: Irwin
                              Minnesota: Raty
                              BC: Schaus

Also in contention:
                              Martin, UMD; Stack, BC; JLam, UND; Johnston, Jenner, Cornell

A few more thoughts: I don't think Schaus has had all that great a season, but she has the reputation and good stats, and I'd picked her over Stack in my projection mainly because at least 2 goalies have to make the top 10.

I think WCHA 4, Hockey East 3, CHA 2, ECAC 1 is about the right distribution of the 10. And Forward 7, Goalie 2, Defenseman 1 is a likely distribution there. Maybe it becomes Foward 6, and Goalie 3 with Martin getting in, again she has a great reputation and stats but her record isn't so great and she hasn't had as many starts as some of the other top contenders, or started every big game like some of the other contenders.

Comment

I fully agree now that Mazzotta isn't going to make the 10. But I think Fortino is a lock to make 10, and the success of Cornell regardless of goalie if anything will strengthen the case for a Cornell D to be on the list. She's the No. 2 scoring D on the No. 1 defensive team in the country, and she's coming off a First Team All-American season -- if any D ever makes the Kaz Top 10 it's her.

I agree Jenner and Johnston are both top players, and Johnston was probably the most dominant player at 4 Nations, but I still think they'll just miss the Kaz cut.

If I had to project 10 now I'd go
                                Wisconsin: Knight, Duggan
                                Mercyhurst: Agosta, Bendus
                                BU: Philip-Poulin, Wakefield
                                Cornell: Fortino
                                UMD: Irwin
                                Minnesota: Raty
                                BC: Schaus

Also in contention:
                                Martin, UMD; Stack, BC; JLam, UND; Johnston, Jenner, Cornell

A few more thoughts: I don't think Schaus has had all that great a season, but she has the reputation and good stats, and I'd picked her over Stack in my projection mainly because at least 2 goalies have to make the top 10.

I think WCHA 4, Hockey East 3, CHA 2, ECAC 1 is about the right distribution of the 10. And Forward 7, Goalie 2, Defenseman 1 is a likely distribution there. Maybe it becomes Foward 6, and Goalie 3 with Martin getting in, again she has a great reputation and stats but her record isn't so great and she hasn't had as many starts as some of the other top contenders, or started every big game like some of the other contenders.
                                Dave, thanks for the Great Breakdown. That is a pretty strong group compared to last year. At any rate IMHO, Johnston should make it over Bendus in your listings. IMHO both RJ and BJ from Cornell are better players and key for their teams. Question for you. How much does the off-ice/academic stuff come into play for this award. Bendus would have a leg up on most if not all others in the academic department.

Comment

Working...
                                X