Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010-2011 Patty Kazmaier Thread: Congrats to Meghan Duggan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010-2011 Patty Kazmaier Thread

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
    File this one under the "Misleading Headlines" category...how do we know which of the 10 finalists "leads" the others?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

So, all the games have been played that are relevant, and all the voting is done.

Final 3 will be announced Thursday.

I'll update my projection from last week. I expect the final three will be three conference players of the years who also each had quite visible impacts on their conference tournaments. I project:

Meghan Agosta, Mercyhurst
      Meghan Duggan, Wisconsin
      Kelli Stack, BC

I probably haven't given Stack as top 3 buzz in past posts because she hasn't measured up to the other candidates in the point totals, but she had a crucial OT game-winner goal in her league tournament, won her league Player of the Year, and helped her team get home ice for NCAAs and conference title. She will get a lot votes from the East. Another perspective is that she's the best player in the country who doesn't have nearly as much talent around her. I don't think that'll be enough for her to win the award, but I expect to see her in the Final 3 come Thursday.

Comment

I agree with Agosta and Duggan, and I also agree that the third will come from BC......but I'm thinking it'll be their "keeper", Molly Schaus. Stack is definitely of worthy consideration, but I think Ms. Schaus had a bigger overall impact on BC's season than Ms. Stack did.
        Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Schaus also had a fine season and is a Bauer/Bendus-caliber student, but I look at Schaus' season and it's hard to find as many dominant games as you would think. For Stack, it's absurd how many games there were when BC won say 2-1 or 3-2 and she provided the majority of the scoring. Most of BC's toughest games were within Hockey East, and Stack already won Hockey East Player of the Year, so I stand by that prediction.

Comment

... Stack already won Hockey East Player of the Year, so I stand by that prediction.
            PotY is typically an offensive award. E.g., Hilary Knight, not Jessie Vetter, won in 2009 in the WCHA.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              PotY is typically an offensive award. E.g., Hilary Knight, not Jessie Vetter, won in 2009 in the WCHA.
              It depends to some extent on the league. The ECAC has a specific goalie of the year award that's voted on and somewhat redundant when you have a All-League first team goaltender. WCHA has a defensive player of the year (though it's usually a defenseman?), and an award for goaltending champion. Hockey East is a bit more limited in awards. UConn's goalie was announced as a runner-up. But I still believe Stack had a better season than Schaus.

Comment

WCHA has a defensive player of the year (though it's usually a defenseman?), and an award for goaltending champion.
                From memory, WCHA DPotY has always been a D. Goaltending champ is strictly a numbers deal, and it isn't always the first-team goalie. Now that I think of it, Felicia Nelson and Zuzana Tomcikova did share WCHA PotY last year. Kind of an odd pairing, with two players on different teams playing completely different positions; I guess a tie is a tie. But I don't remember a goalie winning the award outright. Anyway, I think there is some merit to Hux' post a while back -- what is more important, Stack's late goal, or Schaus holding down the fort until Stack finally scored? If she's allowed a handful of goals, then Stack's play is a footnote. For example, Schaus has given up 5 goals total in BC's last 5 games. Granted, there isn't a ton of offense in that league.

Comment

It depends to some extent on the league. The ECAC has a specific goalie of the year award that's voted on and somewhat redundant when you have a All-League first team goaltender. WCHA has a defensive player of the year (though it's usually a defenseman?), and an award for goaltending champion. Hockey East is a bit more limited in awards. UConn's goalie was announced as a runner-up. But I still believe Stack had a better season than Schaus.
                  Stack is a great player, but I think she falls short of the Duggan, Agosta, Knight, level of offensive players. I also don't think Stack is as well rounded as a player and falls short in some of the off ice elements as well. I like your picks though because it helps Duggan avoid bleed off votes to Knight.

Comment

• Originally posted by granddaddyscout View Post
                    Stack is a great player, but I think she falls short of the Duggan, Agosta, Knight, level of offensive players. I also don't think Stack is as well rounded as a player and falls short in some of the off ice elements as well. I like your picks though because it helps Duggan avoid bleed off votes to Knight.
                    If you read Mark's statements on the players, he carefully chooses language to suggest that Duggan is his favorite, while saying enough nice things about Knight to keep her top 3 hopes alive. I don't see anyone going against Mark's endorsement. http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-hockey/spec-rel/030311aab.html

Second, since the Kaz selection committee interacts, it's much less likely you'll see the committee splits votes for teammates, as you might see for something like baseball MVP voting, where 28 writers independently select their picks.

Comment

• Re: 2010-2011 Patty Kazmaier Thread: 26 NOMINEES ANNOUNCED

Stack has done an great job leading her team this season, and brought that Olympic experience back to BC with her. She was the dominant player for her team and in Hockey East this season. However, I think past indiscretions have made her chance at the top three slim to none. It's a hard lesson to learn at such a young age, but maybe other players will use it as an example of why what the do off the ice is as important as what they do on.

Comment

That's 7-17-24 in conference for 1.71 PPG, and 19-33-52 overall for 1.79 PPG.
                        "We're trying to go to the moon. If you can't put someone up, please don't put them down." - NASA

Comment

• Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                          So, all the games have been played that are relevant, and all the voting is done.

Final 3 will be announced Thursday.

I'll update my projection from last week. I expect the final three will be three conference players of the years who also each had quite visible impacts on their conference tournaments. I project:

Meghan Agosta, Mercyhurst
                          Meghan Duggan, Wisconsin
                          Kelli Stack, BC

I probably haven't given Stack as top 3 buzz in past posts because she hasn't measured up to the other candidates in the point totals, but she had a crucial OT game-winner goal in her league tournament, won her league Player of the Year, and helped her team get home ice for NCAAs and conference title. She will get a lot votes from the East. Another perspective is that she's the best player in the country who doesn't have nearly as much talent around her. I don't think that'll be enough for her to win the award, but I expect to see her in the Final 3 come Thursday.
                          Now official: http://www.usahockey.com/patty_kazmaier/default.aspx?NAV=AF&id=300716&DetailedNews=yes

Comment

• Re: 2010-2011 Patty Kazmaier Thread: 10 FINALISTS ANNOUNCED

NOTES: Meghan Agosta is the second top-three finalist from Mercyhurst College (Vicki Bendus-2010 winner)
                            Can you truly be the second top-three finalist from Mercyhurst if you were three times previous the first?

Comment

• Re: 2010-2011 Patty Kazmaier Thread: 10 FINALISTS ANNOUNCED

Not a fan of Stack over Knight, but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have won anyway and is the only one of the two with a shot at winning it next year (I think she will). This is definitely going to be VERY close between Agosta and Duggan. If there is ever going to be anyone to split the award it would be them. Ultimately, I think it will be Duggan as she seems to really bring in the all other parameters that the award considers.

Comment

• Re: 2010-2011 Patty Kazmaier Thread: FINAL THREE Agosta, Duggan, Stack

Kudo's to all Top 3 Finalists. I have spent sometime looking at the overall stats after reading some of the posts here. Here is what I have to say. Most people didn't even look at Stack as a top 3 finalist (including myself) I thought it would be Agosta, Duggan and Knight based on points alone. But after studying the statistics it has lead me to believe that Stack has had the greatest impact on her team overall. If Stack did not play for BC they would not even be a 500 team. Here are some staggering stats IMO. Just food for thought but they are amazing stats when you look at the big picture.

Number of Players on each team in the top 50 in scoring:

Wiso: 5 Mercyhurst: 7 BC: 2

Goals Scored By Team:

Wiso: 203 Mercyhurst: 175 BC: 100 (I mean Stack has scored 1/3 of her teams goals!!!) I believe if BC had 1 or 2 more players in the top 50 that Stacks points would be through the roof in both goals and assists.

In Power Play % - Wisco and Mercyhurst are 1 and 2 while BC is 15.

Scoring Offense - Wisco 1@ 5.34, Mercyhurst 2@ 5.21 and BC 12@2.86

Duggan has played 5 more games than Agosta and 4 more than Stack.

Almost all of BC's games have been a goal differential of 1 to 2 goals the most being 4 once I believe. While both Mercyhurst and Wisco have had large goal differentials. Wisco beating teams by 10 at least 2 maybe 3 times.

Then there is the argument of the difficulty in league play, and strength of schedule. Everyone will have their opinion here. I think it speaks for itself. I will leave that for another post.

All are tremendous players but Stack to me has made the biggest impact to her team. In fact the statistics blew me away today. Congrats to all 3 Finalist.

Looking forward to some great hockey this weekend in Boston.
                                From Thunder Bay to South Shore

Comment

Working...
                                X