Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIT & Niagara @ RPI & Union (10/22, 10/23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RIT & Niagara @ RPI & Union (10/22, 10/23)

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
    That is a great shot of Bailen ripping a shot from the point. It's a shame they don't give credit to the photographer (although my guess is that it's Sara Melkian).
    Her name is on the right edge of the photo. (Melikian?)
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Her name is on the right edge of the photo. (Melikian?)
      Huh. So it is. I'm used to the credit being below the photo. I guess that teaches me for seeing what I want to see, instead of what's there.
      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        As to speed special mention should be given to freshman Johnny "Rocket" Rogic. There's a you tube video out there of him splitting the defense that's worth watching.

Edit: Rogic video. The play starts at about 40 seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGzPCyticMI
        Nice goal by Union's Matt Hatch in that video too .. he also is not a shabby skater.

Union is very deep at forward and can put out 4 lines that can score. Goaltending is also a strength, especially Kinkaid who has been outstanding so far. The d-men lack experience but are talented, which has lead to some high risk/reward situations. Team confidence is definitely high. How the team will adjust after coming back from Alaska last weekend is a bit of a question, but with the depth on the team should not be an issue. I would expect either Milan or Grosenick to get the start in goal on Friday and Kinkaid on Saturday.. though of course I'm not the coach .

Should be a great weekend of games and am looking forward to seeing a Frozen Four team in Schenectady. This could be a preview of what an Empire League weekend will look like in a couple years .
        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
          This could be a preview of what an Empire League weekend will look like in a couple years .
          Wow.... if the big 10 conference does happen and this came to be. What teams would be in it?

Obviously we are suggesting:
          RIT
          RPI
          Union
          Niagara
          Canisius?
          Clarkson?
          Colgate?
          Cornell?

(Although i doubt any of the ivy's would want to leave for this league).

Comment

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
            Wow.... if the big 10 conference does happen and this came to be. What teams would be in it?

Obviously we are suggesting:
            RIT
            RPI
            Union
            Niagara
            Canisius?
            Clarkson?
            Colgate?
            Cornell?

(Although i doubt any of the ivy's would want to leave for this league).
            you can throw in st lawrence and army too. canisius would get steamrolled in this league.
            i refuse to take out my keys.

ritter arena, ira wilson arena, dwyer arena, tate rink, blue cross arena, buffalo state sports arena, houston fieldhouse, times union center, ford field, messa rink

Comment

Originally posted by dutchbrowncoat View Post
              you can throw in st lawrence and army too. canisius would get steamrolled in this league.

I was thinking army was a little too south. I tried to keep it in the . Albany, Buffalo and up triangle-ish.

Unless you think it should extend all that way down. The teams I picked for the most part are 2-3 hours away from each other, which is really nice.

So revised:

RIT
              RPI
              Union
              Niagara
              Clarkson
              Colgate
              Cornell
              St. Lawrence

Possibles:
              Canisius (Geographically fit in, otherwise not so much.)
              Army (Air force would want in, which would cause problems)

Comment

I was thinking army was a little too south. I tried to keep it in the . Albany, Buffalo and up triangle-ish.

Unless you think it should extend all that way down. The teams I picked for the most part are 2-3 hours away from each other, which is really nice.

So revised:

RIT
                RPI
                Union
                Niagara
                Clarkson
                Colgate
                Cornell
                St. Lawrence

Possibles:
                Canisius (Geographically fit in, otherwise not so much.)
                Army (Air force would want in, which would cause problems)
                There is no way on earth that Cornell would break away from the other Ivies.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The travel partner scheme would really get messed up with those 10 teams.

Also, if anyone read the ECAC blog this week, 2 of the ECAC coaches interviewed (Marsh, Appert) are very satisfied with playing in the same league as the Ivies. I would agree with them. Nothing puts a smile on our faces like beating Harvard.

Comment

The only way I can see Empire league working is if you were to let Cornell stick with the ivies, and keep Army in Atlantic (they already fit somewhat in the "eastern half"). Even then, that's a heck of a home-home travel between RIT and Colgate. Of course you'd probably see a format similar to Hockey East, where the teams play each other 3 times (21 games), and then 13 non-conference.

Of course also, Q-Pac would then have to go back to Atlantic. I'm sure they'd be REALLY enthralled by that...

Comment

As i said it would be hard to split up the ivies. But you could probably get 6-8 of those teams to buy into it. Travel partner tho not so much. Teams that could travel together if you had the whole ten:

Niagara - Canisius
                      RPI - Union
                      St. Lawrence - Clarkson
                      Colgate - Cornell - RIT
                      Army - Fly solo or w/ Colgate, Cornell, Union, RPI

If i were to get rid of the possibles and cornell.

Niagara - RIT
                      RPI - Union
                      St. Lawrence - Clarkson
                      Colgate would be a semi partner of RIT and Niagara as well as RPI and Union.

edit: this helps a lot: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ations.svg.png

Comment

RIT coach Wayne Wilson on an Albany-area podcast for the weekend series. Link

Wilson confirms we'll see two different goalies this weekend, though he doesn't say which two.

Powers &8^]

Comment

USCHO's Chris Lerch joins the Without a Peer podcast tonight at 8pm to talk about the upcoming RPI/RIT tilt, Niagara, and Atlantic Hockey.

You can check us out by clicking "Listen to Without a Peer" in the upper right hand corner.
                          Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

While I would love to see an "Empire State" confernece, even with the Big 10 conference looming, I don't see it happening UNLESS Syracuse announces that they are playing DI hockey and wanting a state conference.

RIT
                            SLU
                            Clarkson
                            Union
                            RPI
                            Niagara
                            Colgate
                            Syracuse

Would be my confernece. I don't see Army joining, as they fit better with the AHA. This would leave QPac in a lerch where they would have to either get into Hockey East or join the remnants of the AHA.

I think those 8 schools would be interested in playing in that conference - which would have similar academic ideals.
                            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2010 Frozen Four participant
                            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

As i said it would be hard to split up the ivies. But you could probably get 6-8 of those teams to buy into it. Travel partner tho not so much. Teams that could travel together if you had the whole ten:

Niagara - Canisius
                              RPI - Union
                              St. Lawrence - Clarkson
                              Colgate - Cornell - RIT
                              Army - Fly solo or w/ Colgate, Cornell, Union, RPI

If i were to get rid of the possibles and cornell.

Niagara - RIT
                              RPI - Union
                              St. Lawrence - Clarkson
                              Colgate would be a semi partner of RIT and Niagara as well as RPI and Union.

edit: this helps a lot: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ations.svg.png
                              ..and Syracuse when they are finally able to count women's cheerleading as a sport . Could also do a NY-Penn league and have Mercyhurst & RMU.
                              UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

If the ivy leagues REALLY wanted to break off, I would say bring in Army (they can travel partner with Q-Pac) and RIT (they can travel partner with Colgate, though it's a heck of a long trip), MAYBE Canisius/Niagara. Just remember that with travel partners, you play at one site the first night, and then the other one the next, none of this playing the same team two nights in a row. I'm a little dubious because of the amount of non-conference play that would result (unless you just played each other twice, thereby 16-18 NC's, it'd be 7-9 if you play everyone 3 times a la Hockey East). If you can schedule it, 12-14 NC games (which half of the ECAC has now) is nice.

But, I don't see the east re-aligning anytime soon, so I'm for leaving well enough alone. Why screw up a good thing?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a weekend of hockey!

Comment

Working...
                                X