Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIT & Niagara @ RPI & Union (10/22, 10/23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RIT & Niagara @ RPI & Union (10/22, 10/23)

For RIT, their strength is the forwards. RIT brought back their top forwards from last season. They have gotten pretty good secondary scoring as well. Favot, Burt, and Brenner have also gotten of to good starts, and Adam Hartley has proven to be a good scorer so far this year.

Defense for the most part has played pretty well all things considered. But they are younger and a bit inexperienced so they have made mistakes. And arguably the biggest question mark is who will be between the pipes. All three goalies have started and they have their plusses and minuses.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
      Ralph gave a pretty clear indication that we're built from the goal out this season, with the leadership of York (and Merriam) determining just how far we go this season. CJ Lee and Josh Rabbani are a couple guys who might not show up on the score sheet, but you'll definitely know they're on the ice.

This map is a little outdated (Section 1 doesn't exist anymore, and the pep band is at the top of Section 13, instead of on the stage), but the visitors usually get stuck in Sections 19-21 (quite possibly behind a pole, if you're unlucky enough). If you're feeling adventurous, go for Sections 9 or 10.

For parking, it's either $3 (someone make sure that price is correct) to park next to the fieldhouse, or you can park on the street (Peoples, Sherry, and Burdett are your best choices) if you show up early enough.

Brown's Brewing Company has a great brewpub downtown. Ryan's Wake is a straight-up bar, but I haven't been in a while, so I can't speak to the crowd. If you're looking for more of a dive bar, then I suggest The Ruck on 3rd Street. For food, Brown's, the Notty Pine has a lot of old-time charm, or Pizza Da Vinci or Pizza Bella (that's not it's real name, but everyone on campus calls it that) has pretty good slices.
      You can also park down at North Lot (13th and Peoples) and take a shuttle bus up. I see plenty of shuttles during at least the football games, so I would assume they are still doing this for hockey. Even if there's no bus, it's still an easy walk down Peoples to get there, maybe a block and a half. For Friday's game, the traditional campus shuttles should still be running, so you can always take one of those. It did get more confusing since I took shuttles when I was there, but the drivers are pretty nice and should be able to help you find the right bus.

I think burgie12 pretty much covered the food options near campus. There's also the Recovery Room at the Hilton (along Hoosick), where you can use your ticket stub as a coupon.

Comment

The RIT fans are not going to like what I am going to say but RIT had a distinct advantage playing UML and yet they still only came away with a tie. Not only was there a decided home fan advantage with the huge crowd but they were playing a team that was exhausted from playing a come from behind OT tie the night before while RIT was off. UML had to run in full gear that third period and OT the previous night managing to get half their shots in those 25 minutes. Niagara notoriously has difficulty late in games be it a conditioning or depth issue. Look for the Purple Eagles to come out strong both nights and to try and hang on. They have a lot of very talented players but as last year they can't quite break out in the third period or OT to get a win. Hope Burkholder learns how to use his timeouts to give his best some rest late in the game. These two games will be like playing two of Atlantic Hockey's top tier teams the same weekend. Should be toss ups both nights for all 4 games.

Comment

Originally posted by dutchbrowncoat View Post

is their a section for away fans at either venue? can't speak for niagara but i would expect rit to have a few fans in town.

these pairs of teams are close enough to where i think some solid rivalries can be established for future years, especially considering how similar rpi and rit are.
          I know RIT will be bringing our pepband to RPI. havent heard mutch for fans traveling, Its getting late in the quarter, so im not sure how strong the student will show, but I would expect a decent amount clad in orange.
          "I couldn't be more impressed with the student body . They had fun and had many chants but they lacked venom."

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
            The RIT fans are not going to like what I am going to say but RIT had a distinct advantage playing UML and yet they still only came away with a tie.
            If you read the RIT threads, Tiger fans have been saying the same thing. Unfortunately most have been hanging the blame on the goalie (Madalora), with comments like "Never want to see him near the nets again", "he sucks", etc. Fortunately that's coming mostly from the newcomers to the forum. They don't take into account that it was his first game of the season, he has been nicked up, and likely not getting much practice time. The more seasoned of the Tiger posters remember hearing the same things about DeMichiel, who is now "deified" in Rochester.

Looking forward to Fridays game, and will be making the trip from Utica to Troy to see the Tigers for the first time this year. Can't make it to Union because of other commitments. Last time I was at an RIT game in Schenectady was the 1985 DIII championships. Dang I'm getting old.......

Speaking of the Friday game, where are all of the Tiger fans planning to sit? I would certainly prefer to be surrounded by orange rather than red.
            Last edited by XCTiger; 10-19-2010, 03:41 PM.
            John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
            AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
            AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
            NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
            NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
            NCAA DII - 1983
            NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
              If you read the RIT threads, Tiger fans have been saying the same thing. Unfortunately most have been hanging the blame on the goalie (Madalora), with comments like "Never want to see him near the nets again", "he sucks", etc. Fortunately that's coming mostly from the newcomers to the forum. They don't take into account that it was his first game of the season, he has been nicked up, and likely not getting much practice time. The more seasoned of the Tiger posters remember hearing the same things about DeMichiel, who is now "deified" in Rochester.

Looking forward to Fridays game, and will be making the trip from Utica to Troy to see the Tigers for the first time this year. Can't make it to Union because of other commitments. Last time I was at an RIT game in Schenectady was the 1985 DIII championships. Dang I'm getting old.......

Speaking of the Friday game, where are all of the Tiger fans planning to sit? I would certainly prefer to be surrounded by orange rather than red.
              There's really two different points you're trying to combine into one in that first paragraph. The first is that posters are hanging the tie on the goaltending, which I'm not sure how you can dispute. UMass both opened and closed the scoring on horrendously soft goals (the first one was worse than the GTG, which was in itself pretty bad....keep that paddle down!), and I have very little doubt that with a performance equivalent to either Ropponen's or Watson's in Nebraska, the Tigers win going away.

The other point is that posters are saying "never want to see him in the nets again", "he sucks" (though he certainly did suck Saturday night), "third-string goalie at best", etc. Which I don't neccessarily agree with. As you said, everyone has bad games, and high-ankle sprains are notoriously hard to work through. I do, however, believe that Ropponen/Watson (I'd go with Ropponen) should split the starts this weekend, and if one of them runs with the job, stay with him. If not, go back to Maladora against Robert Morris at the Ritter.

Comment

i just plan on getting there early and asking for seats by the visiting team at the counter. from there i will probably move next to wherever the band is. i would just say head to wherever the orange seems to be gathering. shouldnt be a problem to shift over some seats. the other times i have been to the houston field house there was enough room to move around. i dont think they come close to selling out the arena outside of clarkson, union, and the freak out.
                i refuse to take out my keys.

ritter arena, ira wilson arena, dwyer arena, tate rink, blue cross arena, buffalo state sports arena, houston fieldhouse, times union center, ford field, messa rink

Comment

For Pete's sake, people, it's "Madolora". We look like idiots who can't even spell our goalies' names.

Powers &8^]

Comment

I will be at both games this weekend, should be a visting section some where.

As for RIT's last game it was dissapointing to end up tie, but the buttom line is RIT had that game. It was not all Madolora's fault, but I do think he has to be a lot better if he wants to be the in nets this year. I am still trying to figure out how Scott Knowles did not get to the puck and clear it, fastest guy on the ice got out skated, that hurt...

I think both games will be great and a good tune up for RIT as they look forward to AHA Play.
                    Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                    The Mule
                    Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      You can also park down at North Lot (13th and Peoples) and take a shuttle bus up. I see plenty of shuttles during at least the football games, so I would assume they are still doing this for hockey. Even if there's no bus, it's still an easy walk down Peoples to get there, maybe a block and a half. For Friday's game, the traditional campus shuttles should still be running, so you can always take one of those. It did get more confusing since I took shuttles when I was there, but the drivers are pretty nice and should be able to help you find the right bus.

I think burgie12 pretty much covered the food options near campus. There's also the Recovery Room at the Hilton (along Hoosick), where you can use your ticket stub as a coupon.
                      Don't bother with shuttle buses. Assuming you will get there at least 30 minutes before gametime, by far the most convenient free parking is on Sherry Road. If coming from Route 7, make a right onto 15th street and then make a left after about half a mile onto Sage Ave. Sage Ave will fork shortly thereafter; bear left to get onto Sherry Road. There is street parking on Sherry Road all the way up to Burdett. To get to the arena just walk up to Burdett and then up the many stairs and you'll see HFH.

For food I recommend Notty Pine or Brown's. Recovery Room is fine and nice and all, but no local flavor whatsoever (other than the sense of prestige you might get from being in the same building that Dr. Jackson lives in ). Stay away from the Ruck (or anywhere on that side of Congress St, for that matter).

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
                        Don't bother with shuttle buses. Assuming you will get there at least 30 minutes before gametime, by far the most convenient free parking is on Sherry Road. If coming from Route 7, make a right onto 15th street and then make a left after about half a mile onto Sage Ave. Sage Ave will fork shortly thereafter; bear left to get onto Sherry Road. There is street parking on Sherry Road all the way up to Burdett. To get to the arena just walk up to Burdett and then up the many stairs and you'll see HFH.

For food I recommend Notty Pine or Brown's. Recovery Room is fine and nice and all, but no local flavor whatsoever (other than the sense of prestige you might get from being in the same building that Dr. Jackson lives in ). Stay away from the Ruck (or anywhere on that side of Congress St, for that matter).
                        Well, just in case Sherry Road is taken up. Typically I try to park at least an hour before the game for that very reason. You may also get lucky on Burdett.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                          The RIT fans are not going to like what I am going to say but RIT had a distinct advantage playing UML and yet they still only came away with a tie. Not only was there a decided home fan advantage with the huge crowd but they were playing a team that was exhausted from playing a come from behind OT tie the night before while RIT was off. UML had to run in full gear that third period and OT the previous night managing to get half their shots in those 25 minutes.
                          I agree. I think Lowell reached back and found another gear late in the game. I was impressed. RIT outworked a lot of teams last season but not Lowell on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by dutchbrowncoat View Post
                            i just plan on getting there early and asking for seats by the visiting team at the counter. from there i will probably move next to wherever the band is. i would just say head to wherever the orange seems to be gathering. shouldnt be a problem to shift over some seats. the other times i have been to the houston field house there was enough room to move around. i dont think they come close to selling out the arena outside of clarkson, union, and the freak out.
                            If you actually want to see the game i wouldnt recommend sitting where the visiting bands usually sit....one year for the freakout i had to sit there and your behind and to the side of the goal....visitors usually sit in the corner to the left as you walk in
                            RIT Tigers
                            2006-2007, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011 Regular Season Champions
                            2010,2015, 2016 Atlantic Hockey Champions

Comment

Links to RPI game notes, ticket info, etc. http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/201...020101801.aspx.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Links to RPI game notes, ticket info, etc. http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/201...020101801.aspx.
                                That is a great shot of Bailen ripping a shot from the point. It's a shame they don't give credit to the photographer (although my guess is that it's Sara Melkian).
                                Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Working...
                                X