"Greatest Games" involving North Dakota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Greatest Games" involving North Dakota

I have a question for everyone in this thread. I'm building a North Dakota Hockey website (have been for awhile now) and one of the sections that I have in the site is a Series History section with each of our different teams. As a part of the Series History, I'm including a "Greatest Game" type section of the best game ever played between the two teams. I'd like your input on what games should be a part of this.

For instance, for the Gophers-Sioux you might say the 2004 WCHA Final Five Championship, or the 2007 West Regional Final, etc. Now, I want to have a game listed for each of the different teams the Sioux have played, so if you can think of anything from any series that we've had that would be great. Also, fans of opposing teams views are appreciated as well.

Thanks to everyone that helps me out with this, and I'm hoping that the website can be finished by the end of this season.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Re: "Greatest Games" involving North Dakota

08 Midwest Regional Championship game v Wisconsin ... WOW!!

Enjoy Fighting Sioux Hockey Videos on My Youtube

Comment

1998 yost ice arena, regional final

Comment

2005 final vs Denver!! Sorry, couldn't resist!!!
        "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
        Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          1998 yost ice arena, regional final
          Agreed that was a very good game.

Also, the '88 GLI Final was a very good game, with Michigan winning 6-5 in Double OT.
          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
            IMO, the '04 Regional Final was a much better game. In fact, of every game that I have ever seen in person or on TV, that game was the best that I ever saw. Unfortunately went the wrong way
            North Dakota

Comment

Good luck. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

A couple of suggestions for you from games I attended.

In 1983 Wisconsin and UND played in Grand Forks in the second game of a total goal series. Although it was only the WCHA playoffs, it was for the chance to advance to the NCAAs and an opportunity to play in Grand Forks for the Frozen Four.

The first game was tied 1-1.

In the second game, I believe Wis. had a 4-2 lead heading into the 3rd, when UND scored 3 goals to take the lead, only to see Wisconsin tie it up. They went to a third overtime. Wisconsin scored the winning goal, only to see it overturned due to an illegal stick. That gave UND a pp, and a chance to win themselves. Wisconsin scored shorthanded. One of the two or three best games I've ever attended. Wisconsin went on to easily win the NCAA title, on our ice. To this day I consider that our missing 8th title.

Another was in November 1984, over Thanksgiving weekend, the Sioux hosted RPI. UND won 7-6 in OT in what I believe was RPI's last loss in a championship season in which they went something like 35-2. They had a dynamite team, and that night it was two teams just throwing haymakers at each other (literally, I think, since J. Archibald still played for the Sioux).

The greatest game against UMD has to be from January of 1986, in Duluth. I wasn't at the game, but I listened to it on the radio. Greyeagle has said he saw the game in person so he might have something to add.

I believe UND was down 7-3 with something like two or three minutes left. They scored, then started pulling the goalie, and somehow managed to tie the game. OT was a foregone conclusion with the Sioux quickly scoring.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                IMO, the '04 Regional Final was a much better game. In fact, of every game that I have ever seen in person or on TV, that game was the best that I ever saw. Unfortunately went the wrong way
                From INCH's 5th Anniversary Archive
                THE BEST GAMES
                Mike Eidelbes

1. 2004 NCAA West Regional Final
                Denver 1, North Dakota 0 It’s the best game I’ve ever seen, and I doubt I’ll ever see one in which two teams played virtually flawless with the stakes so high.

http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Arch...games_0602.htm
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Great Feedback everyone, thank you. So far I have...

Michigan:
                  - '98 Regional Final @ Yost - Michigan comes back in the third to knockoff the Sioux on their way to their 9th Title.

Wisconsin:
                  - '08 Regional Final @ Kohl - North Dakota storms back in the third period to tie the game and eventually win in OT.
                  - '83 WCHA First Round Game 2 - Wisconsin wins in an epic triple OT game on a shortie on their way to a National Title
                  - '82 Regular Season - Water Bottle Incident.

Denver:
                  - '04 Regional Final - Some consider it the best game ever, with Denver edging out North Dakota 1-0 on their route to a Title
                  - '05 National Title - The Pioneers and the Sioux play well, and the game is tight until the 3rd when DU edges out the Sioux for the Trophy

RPI:
                  - Thanksgiving '84 - Sioux win a wild one in Grand Forks, 7-6 over the eventual National Champions.

Duluth:
                  - '86 Regular Season - Sioux stage a miraculous comeback against the Bulldogs to win in OT 8-7.

BC:
                  - '00 Title Game - Sioux come back from 2-1 to beat the Eagles 4-2 for their 7th National Championship
                  - '01 Title Game - North Dakota comes back from 2-0 to tie the game in the last few minutes of regulation and send it to OT where Kyrs Kolanos scores to give the Eagles their first Title in 52 years.

BU:
                  - '97 Title Game - North Dakota is down 2-0 after 1, but scores 5 in a row in the 2nd to win their 6th National Title.

UNH:
                  - '09 Regional Semifinal - North Dakota is up 5-3 midway through the third when UNH pulls within 1. The Wildcats score with 1 second left to tie the game and send it into OT where they win in the opening minutes.

I'm literally looking for games against every team, so please keep them coming. Thanks.

If you want a preview of the website, shoot me an IM and I can give you the link.
                  Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 10-15-2010, 01:49 PM. Reason: Adding Games
                  North Dakota

Comment

I don't know if this would qualify for 'greatest' based on quality of the game play, but this game vs Wisconsin did have the memorable 'water bottle incident':
                    1/30/82
                    ******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_G-FTg419NM?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_G-FTg419NM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">
                    Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
                    Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
                    sigpic
                    Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
                    1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Well, "Greatest" has a very loose definition, so we can include it for now.

I'll keep editing my post that has the different games that have been mentioned with the new games that get mentioned.
                      North Dakota

Comment

Another good one that was an L for North Dakota was the 2001 National Championship. That was hard to watch, since I wanted both teams to lose . But all in all, very exciting.

Those two years 2000 and 2001, were pretty interesting, I thought. It will be interesting to see the UND-BC list of games- so many had so much on the line.

Just out of curiosity, would you count the '97 NC game as a classic, since the Sioux were basically the 4th seed, but just came, played, and won?

Comment

Holy Cross's 4-3 overtime victory over Minnesota in March 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            Another good one that was an L for North Dakota was the 2001 National Championship. That was hard to watch, since I wanted both teams to lose . But all in all, very exciting.

Those two years 2000 and 2001, were pretty interesting, I thought. It will be interesting to see the UND-BC list of games- so many had so much on the line.

Just out of curiosity, would you count the '97 NC game as a classic, since the Sioux were basically the 4th seed, but just came, played, and won?
                            Well, it is probably the greatest game played between North Dakota and BU.

As far as the BC series with North Dakota, there are a ton to choose from. They've met 9 times in the NCAA Tournament.
                            North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Pump It Up View Post
                              Holy Cross's 4-3 overtime victory over Minnesota in March 2006.
                              While definitely a classic game, I'm looking for games that North Dakota actually played in.
                              North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                              X