X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Life Magazine Article - BC, BU, Michigan, CC

Check this out
    http://books.google.com/books?id=8Es...nepage&f=false

Neat little featurette on college hockey in 1951. It refers to the Boston prep schools as the most fertile recruiting ground.. how things have changed.
    Boston College Eagle Hockey ยป "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Re: 1951 Life Magazine Article - BC, BU, Michigan, CC

Wow, that's pretty cool. On an unrelated note, where can I purchase one of those Air Kings???
    "Get used to this drill, we'll be doing it a lot."
    "Why?"
    "Because the legs feed the wolf, gentlemen..."

Comment

Sweet photos! Thanks for posting.

Comment

How old was John Garrity?
        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 10-13-2010, 12:43 PM.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Really cool. I love stuff like this. Thanks for posting, Zud.
          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            How old was John Garrity?
            Ralph,
            Jack Garrity was born in 1926 and just a few month shy of his 25th birthday. After high school, he served in WWII, then played AHA hockey and on the 1948 U.S. Olympic team prior to enrolling at BU for two seasons. Scored 51-33-84 as a freshman and 57 points the next year. I believe his son played for Harvard.

Jack Parker had Garrity fly up from Florida to D.C. to address the Terriers prior to the Frozen Four in 2009. Check Parker's comment to Chris Drury about Garrity in this NY Times piece.
            Last edited by Rogie21; 10-13-2010, 02:01 PM.
            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
              Ralph,
              Jack Garrity was born in 1926 and just a few month shy of his 25th birthday. After high school, he served in WWII, then played AHA hockey and on the 1948 U.S. Olympic team prior to enrolling at BU for two seasons. Scored 51-33-84 as a freshman and 57 points the next year. I believe his son played for Harvard.

Jack Parker had Garrity fly up from Florida to D.C. to address the Terriers prior to the Frozen Four in 2009. Check Parker's comment to Chris Drury about Garrity in this NY Times piece.
              i remember Jack telling that story... started out with Garrity the jr calling Jack and asking for tickets. Jack told him, "i don't have tickets for a harvard guy! but if you talk your dad into coming up i'll give him two."
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

good job Zudnic.........i'm enjoying the respite from some of the other threads

Comment

Love the "helmets" that some of the guys are wearing. They look like Zero caps more than helmets. And Garrity looks more like 44 in those pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                    Ralph,

Thanks

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                    Love the "helmets" that some of the guys are wearing. They look like Zero caps more than helmets. And Garrity looks more like 44 in those pictures.
                    That's why I asked.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

This is just fantastic.

Love the ads, btw.
                      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                        This is just fantastic.

Love the ads, btw.
                        i know it...check the last ad about Lucky Strike (LSMFT! LOL) and it shows a basketball player and he says he's great a passer but even more "on the beam" when he passes out a Lucky Strike!... imagine??

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                          It refers to the Boston prep schools as the most fertile recruiting ground.. how things have changed.
                          So there was Eastern Bias back in 1951 too. Good to know.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            So there was Eastern Bias back in 1951 too. Good to know.
                            Well, that's LIFE , America's picture magazine.
                            Here we come!

Comment

Working...
                            X