Maine @ Michigan State (10/14-15)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maine @ Michigan State (10/14-15)

No thread yet?? What a bunch of slackers we are.

So...what should we expect from MSU? We have no results to go on, other than that weird exhibition loss. What kind of team does Sparty have this year?

Maine will bring quickness, a bunch of goalies with little collective experience, and a defense that is at it's best when it isn't playing defense. Forecast = goals.
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Re: Maine @ Michigan State (10/14-15)

Sparty has two quality lines that can move the puck well, and appear to be gelling enough to find plenty of scoring chances (a ton against UWO). How those translate into goals is determined by how well they can finish. Last season this team threw plenty of pucks toward the net - but it looks like we'll get off more quality shots this season.
    IMO we have two genuine goal scorers (Leveille and Grant), a dangerous play-making forward (Gazley) a first-rate-skating and play-making defeseman (Krug), a pair of hard-shooting defensemen (Josepher and Shelgren) and, so far, not a bad-looking power play. I'm worried about defensive lapses and the consistency of our goaltending.
    A couple problems seemed to plague MSU last Friday: Not showing a lot of smarts getting the puck up the ice - it seemed we wanted to move the puck forward from our own end without the patience to set up properly ... like we wanted to light up the scoreboard without regard to how well UWO stepped into passing lanes in the neutral zone. Sometimes MSU got outworked, but more often than not it was carelessness. Also, Palmisano probably saw a couple of those goals in his sleep - soft goals he would want back.
    But, as you say, it represented our first competition of the season (UWO had 3 or 4 under their belts), and it seemed Comley was reaching to the end of his 25-man bench to find the right 3rd & 4th line combos to provide some added punch.
    It was hard to see much improvement from our sophomores - that's a disappointment so far - although Krug seems (if it's possible) to be better. Eliminate the mistakes and I think this team is in good shape.
    I didn't see Maine over the weekend, but it definitely sounds like MSU will have all it can handle and will need to work hard to get 2 points.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
      Sparty has two quality lines that can move the puck well, and appear to be gelling enough to find plenty of scoring chances (a ton against UWO). How those translate into goals is determined by how well they can finish. Last season this team threw plenty of pucks toward the net - but it looks like we'll get off more quality shots this season.
      IMO we have two genuine goal scorers (Leveille and Grant), a dangerous play-making forward (Gazley) a first-rate-skating and play-making defeseman (Krug), a pair of hard-shooting defensemen (Josepher and Shelgren) and, so far, not a bad-looking power play. I'm worried about defensive lapses and the consistency of our goaltending.
      A couple problems seemed to plague MSU last Friday: Not showing a lot of smarts getting the puck up the ice - it seemed we wanted to move the puck forward from our own end without the patience to set up properly ... like we wanted to light up the scoreboard without regard to how well UWO stepped into passing lanes in the neutral zone. Sometimes MSU got outworked, but more often than not it was carelessness. Also, Palmisano probably saw a couple of those goals in his sleep - soft goals he would want back.
      But, as you say, it represented our first competition of the season (UWO had 3 or 4 under their belts), and it seemed Comley was reaching to the end of his 25-man bench to find the right 3rd & 4th line combos to provide some added punch.
      It was hard to see much improvement from our sophomores - that's a disappointment so far - although Krug seems (if it's possible) to be better. Eliminate the mistakes and I think this team is in good shape.
      I didn't see Maine over the weekend, but it definitely sounds like MSU will have all it can handle and will need to work hard to get 2 points.
      Substitute "Maine" for "MSU" and the message is the same! I think we have a little more faith in our ability to put 4 effective scoring lines on the ice, but defensive lapses and questions in net seem to be question marks for both squads. A feisty UConn squad (who could use some of the basketball team's scholarships!) gave Maine all they could handle on Sat night - a 3-3 tie. This should be a great series - will the Thurs game be televised in Michigan? If so, I hope WABI buys the rights.

Go Maine!!

Comment

Originally posted by john g View Post
        This should be a great series - will the Thurs game be televised in Michigan? If so, I hope WABI buys the rights.
        Comcast Local (one of those 900-channels) on Thursday, CBS College Sports on Friday.

Comment

I am excited to finally see us play Maine in person with the history in recent years such as the two NCAA meetings and what not. Also, I can still remember watching that NC game against DU with the 6 on 3 at the end. Probably one of the most exciting things i had ever seen.

Buy anyways, MSU is still sort of a mystery. All we've had was an exhibition and things were up and down but we certainly looked rusty so i expect that to improve as the weekend goes on. I am quite unsure of our depth at forward but we should have at least 2 very capable lines with the top line being quite dangerous. Overall, the team defense against WO was a bit of a disappointment since that was supposed to be the strength of this team but i think it will just take a while to gel.

Goaltending was also going to be possibly the greatest strength this year but I think Palmisano just had a bit of an off night. We will need him to be very strong this weekend.

I think this team will put a lot of pucks on net but will our lack of pure goal scorers be a problem? We may have just run into a hot goalie last friday.

But we haven't seen much so nobody is really sure how we will handle Maine. This weekend should tell us quite a bit.

I think Maine rather easily takes game 1 as we will still be trying to get our game legs back but we will squeek one out Friday.

I am gonna say 5-2 Maine, then 3-2 MSU.
          Last edited by Pirateasaurus; 10-13-2010, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
            I am excited to finally see us play Maine in person with the history in recent years such as the two NCAA meetings and what not. Also, I can still remember watching that NC game against DU with the 6 on 3 at the end. Probably one of the most exciting things i had ever seen.

Buy anyways, MSU is still sort of a mystery. All we've had was an exhibition and things were up and down but we certainly looked rusty so i expect that to improve as the weekend goes on. I am quite unsure of our depth at forward but we should have at least 2 very capable lines with the top line being quite dangerous. Overall, the team defense against WO was a bit of a disappointment since that was supposed to be the strength of this team but i think it will just take a while to gel.

Goaltending was also going to be possibly the greatest strength this year but I think Palmisano just had a bit of an off night. We will need him to be very strong this weekend.

I think this team will put a lot of pucks on net but will our lack of pure goal scorers be a problem? We may have just run into a hot goalie last friday.

But we haven't seen much so nobody is really sure how we will handle Maine. This weekend should tell us quite a bit.

I think Maine rather easily takes game 1 as we will still be trying to get our game legs back but we will squeek one out Friday.

I am gonna say 5-2 Maine, then 3-2 MSU.
            You think you ran into a hot goalie, U-Conn’s Garrett Bartus played off the charts against Maine on Saturday night. Maine players are still simmering about the tie and probably think they have something to prove in these two games and they do.

Comment

Anyone know if I'd be able to buy a ticket at the door on Friday night. Its going to be a game time decision (or about 4 hours before game times) whether I can go or not.
              New Hampshire: only useful for connecting Maine to the rest of the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
                . Maine players are still simmering about the tie and probably think they have something to prove in these two games and they do.
                Simmering about the tie or simmering because they weren't ready to play?
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Maine Pudge View Post
                  Anyone know if I'd be able to buy a ticket at the door on Friday night. Its going to be a game time decision (or about 4 hours before game times) whether I can go or not.
                  Absolutely. Our attendance tends to be...less than impressive for games that are not Michigan, Notre Dame, other big ten teams or any other highly ranked opponent in a game of significance. Especially early in the season.

Comment

Our goalies have limited to no big game road experience. Nerves lead to costly errors, and the teams tie 4-4 on Thursday.

Maine settles down on Friday and manages a 4-2 win on Friday.
                    Being led to the promiseland by TIMMAY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Howitz-ah View Post
                      Our goalies have limited to no big game road experience. Nerves lead to costly errors, and the teams tie 4-4 on Thursday.

Maine settles down on Friday and manages a 4-2 win on Friday.
                      I'd be thrilled with a win and a tie, but I'd be mildly surprised at this point. I'd take a split.

Comment

Made it to East Lansing. Really looking forward to the game tomorrow night. The defense remains a question mark at this point in the season, but I am confident it will come around. Hopefully the offense will carry the team for a while until it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Maine Event View Post
                          Made it to East Lansing. Really looking forward to the game tomorrow night. The defense remains a question mark at this point in the season, but I am confident it will come around. Hopefully the offense will carry the team for a while until it does.
                          Welcome! No matter the outcome, hope you enjoy your time here. The weather forecast looks fine, so take a walk around campus, with a stop at the Dairy Store for an ice cream.
                          "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
                          - Mark Twain

Comment

The team is going to bed after being up since 4AM and traveling most of the day. They might have just a tad of jetlag tomorrow night.

Comment

Originally posted by Maine Event View Post
                              Ah, yes, like Arwen says, make sure to check out the dairy store. I believe the one on Farm Lane Rd. has a more robust selection. Reeaaallll good ice that is made right in the building by students.( Many of them my classmates! I am a food science major )
                              Last edited by Pirateasaurus; 10-13-2010, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X