Harvard Hockey 2010-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard Hockey 2010-11

Season is now less than two weeks away as Harvard will take on McGill in an exhibition game on Oct. 23rd. So a good as time as any to get this thread going.

First bit of recent news is that Kessler and Vaillancourt were named to the Four Nations roster for Canada. http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/wice...Nations_Roster Should be interesting to see how Coach Stone game plans against the two of them behind the bench of Team USA.

We were ranked #8 at the start of the season by USCHO, and #9 by USA Today. Not sure if there were changes to that with teams playing around us.

Any thoughts?
    Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
    Go Crimson!

Re: Harvard Hockey 2010-11

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
    We were ranked #8 at the start of the season by USCHO, and #9 by USA Today. Not sure if there were changes to that with teams playing around us.
    Harvard at #9 in the latest polls:
    Originally posted by joehockey View Post
    USCHO.com Division I Women's Poll
    October 11, 2010

Team (First Place Votes) Record Points Last Poll
    1 Mercyhurst ( 3) 4-0-0 129 3
    2 Cornell ( 7) 0-0-0 120 2
    3 Minnesota ( 3) 3-0-0 117 4
    3 Wisconsin ( 1) 4-0-0 117 5
    5 Minnesota-Duluth ( 1) 1-1-0 111 1
    6 Boston University 2-1-0 66 6
    7 Boston College 2-0-0 52 9
    8 North Dakota 2-2-0 45 10
    9 Harvard 0-0-0 36 7
    10 Ohio State 2-0-0 12 NR
    10 Providence 3-1-0 12 NR
    Others Receiving Votes: Quinnipiac 8

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/rankings/?data=...#ixzz124X5jgc8
    Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
    USA TODAY/USA Hockey Women's Poll
    Oct. 12, 2010

Code:
       School           (1st) Record   Points  Last week
    1  Mercyhurst        (7)   4-0-0     172       3
    2  Cornell           (6)   0-0-0     155       2
    3  Minnesota         (2)   3-0-0     144       4
    4  Wisconsin         (2)   4-0-0     141       5
    5  Minnesota Duluth  (2)   1-1-0     138       1
    6  Boston University       2-1-0      81       6
    7  North Dakota            2-2-0      75       8
    8  Boston College          2-0-0      58      10
    9  Harvard                 0-0-0      40       7
    10 Ohio State              2-0-0      18      NR

Others receiving votes: Providence College, 11; Quinnipiac University, 8;
    University of New Hampshire, 4.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Any thoughts?
      I expect Harvard to be very solid this year, but it will be an uphill battle to de-throne Cornell. My ECAC picks for the top three are Cornell, Harvard, Quinnipiac in that order. (It was Clarkson in 3, but early results suggests they are struggling).

I'll be at a Harvard game within the next month or so, and will get a better view then.

Meanwhile if the rumors for the top two recruits for next year come to fruition, they are gonna be a real force for a few years to come. Biggest question mark is the goaltending. Replacing Kessler is a daunting task. However they bring in a great D class, so that should average that out.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
        I expect Harvard to be very solid this year, but it will be an uphill battle to de-throne Cornell. My ECAC picks for the top three are Cornell, Harvard, Quinnipiac in that order. (It was Clarkson in 3, but early results suggests they are struggling).

I'll be at a Harvard game within the next month or so, and will get a better view then.

Meanwhile if the rumors for the top two recruits for next year come to fruition, they are gonna be a real force for a few years to come. Biggest question mark is the goaltending. Replacing Kessler is a daunting task. However they bring in a great D class, so that should average that out.
        Maybe Kessler's injury was a blessing in disguise then for the program. Bellamy's had a half season under her belt, and comes in as a Beanpot winning goaltender. Team should have plenty of trust in her.

Hopefully they take a lot of motivation from trying to rebound after the heavy NCAA defeat last season.
        Go Crimson!

Comment

I'm psyched to see Gina Mac play at Bright after 3 years of watching her big sister!
          "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Good whatever part of the day it is to all of you. I am going to try to join in the dis-
            cussion this year instead of just eavesdropping. A little bit about my hockey history:
            I came north from Jacksonville, Fla in 1960 not even knowing how to rollerskate much
            less stay vertical on ice. None of that has changed in the intervening years. But I did
            pick up a love for Harvard Hockey during my undergraduate days. The three big names
            of that era for me were Gene Kinasewich, Dave Johnson and Ken Dryden. I stayed on
            for graduate school and the Joe Cavanagh era. I have remained in Cambridge but lost
            touch with Harvard Hockey [and with some very good teams, it seems] until I got
            turned on to women's hockey the year Julie Chew was a freshman. I go to many of the
            men's games but my heart belongs to the women. I'll finish this off with a little vignette: I went to the Chowder Cup in July last year to follow team Harvard [Celine]. That was my first exposure to Jillian Dempsey! I also saw Gedman and
            Young and my dreams have come true, they're playing for us. And, finally, I saw
            Geraldine. I was back at the Chowder Cup this past July and there was Geraldine,
            again, during a very good impersonation of Wonder Woman in the first two games.
            Whenever she was on the ice the whole game seemed to revolve around her. And
            then, in the third game Sunday morning , she came down to earth with a thud as she
            stood up straight as the Statue of Liberty [the better to get her picture taken, perhaps] defending a rush and got cleanly beaten, leading to the first goal. I am
            looking forward to seeing her be a star of the team again this year but I hope she
            is listening to her coach who says in her video about the upcoming season that despite the obvious offensive talents of our defense, they've also got to play good
            old fashioned defense, too. If Josephine can just channel a little Leanna Coskren, she
            may turn out to be one for the ages. And never forget: high above Cayuga's waters
            there's an awful smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
              And never forget: high above Cayuga's waters
              there's an awful smell.
              Welcome to the boards. Good to have another Harvard hockey fan among us.

Also, this is the second time somebody's done that little snippet of the Cornell alma mater parody. Unfortunately it is not something current undergraduates know. Mind sharing the whole song? I heard it once a couple of weeks ago but can't remember exactly how it goes, and was unclear if there was more to it.
              Go Crimson!

Comment

Speaking of women's hockey, Boston's entry in the CWHL this season will be playing some of its games at the Bright, including a noon inaugural game on Oct. 30, which will form a double-header with the women's game vs. Brown at 4pm. The team features some familiar faces, Angela Ruggiero and Caitlin Cahow, as well as some other Boston area products- Melissa Haber, recent BU grad, is one of the goalies (remember her from the Beanpot) and there are some Northeastern players as well. Should be interesting, and I might try to get out to the home/season/franchise opener on the 30th. Thought other people might be interested in hearing about it.
                Go Crimson!

Comment

Speaking of women's hockey, Boston's entry in the CWHL this season will be playing some of its games at the Bright, including a noon inaugural game on Oct. 30, which will form a double-header with the women's game vs. Brown at 4pm. .
                  Cool. Do you have a start time. ?

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz
                    Speaking of women's hockey, Boston's entry in the CWHL this season will be playing some of its games at the Bright, including a noon inaugural game on Oct. 30, which will form a double-header with the women's game vs. Brown at 4pm.
                    Cool. Do you have a start time. ?
                    Hmmm, is 12PM too obvious? Btw, I have no idea - just guessing..

Comment

Originally posted by scrambledlegs View Post
                      Hmmm, is 12PM too obvious? Btw, I have no idea - just guessing..
                      Clearly a case of not reading the whole message.

Comment

Clearly a case of not reading the whole message.
                        To be fair, I probably could have phrased that sentence better for clarity's sake.
                        Boston CWHL vs. Burlington- 12 noon
                        Harvard vs. Brown- 4pm
                        Go Crimson!

Comment

Maybe Kessler's injury was a blessing in disguise then for the program. Bellamy's had a half season under her belt, and comes in as a Beanpot winning goaltender. Team should have plenty of trust in her.

Hopefully they take a lot of motivation from trying to rebound after the heavy NCAA defeat last season.
                          Actually I hope they completely forget about last March and start with a clean slate. Seems to be working for the Bruins. This is a new season with a number of new faces. Like last season, it will take some time to adjust.

As for Bellamy, let's wait and see. She did well considering the circumstances last year but the freshman we recruited may also vie for playing time. Coach Stone will go with the hot hand I'm sure.

Comment

Nice to reminisce about the 'Sixties, when you could drink beer at Watson Rink! I was there the night ('66 -- ?) that Kent Parrot scored for quite likely Harvard's only victory over Cornell during the Dryden years.

Throughout the rink from time to time you could hear an intermittent rumbling of "moooooooh!" "moooooooooh!" in honor of Cornell's agriculture school.

Comment

Did anyone see today's exhibition game against McGill? How did the frosh look? Unfortunate that we gave up the tying goal with less than a minute to play.

Comment

Working...
                              X