Hail to those . . . Michigan @ UNH, Sat 10/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hail to those . . . Michigan @ UNH, Sat 10/16

With very little time to enjoy a split out at Miami (OH) - an outcome that surprised and pleased many Wildcat Fans - UNH welcomes perennial powerhouse Michigan to the newly renovated Whittemore Center for their home opener (because preseason just doesn't count).

It's been a while since UNH and Michigan have played -- IIRC, it was our loss to them in Manchester. There's nobody left from that game on either squad, so there isn't much to a rivalry here. Michigan is the only school with a longer NCAA streak than UNH, which I'm sure will be mentioned during the game.

Last year, UNH had a grand total of 1 out of conference win, in the Battle RiverStone Cup against Dartmouth. Having already matched that this year with the 6-3 win over Miami, UNH can really bolster their PwR ranking with a win over Michigan. After playing catch up all of last year (after starting something like 1-68-2), it would be a great chance for this team to 'take control of their own destiny', or whatever your favorite cliche is.

So, I know nothing about this Michigan team . . . anybody have anything enlightening to say?
    I haven't been on here in a year...
    Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Re: Hail to those . . . Michigan @ UNH, Sat 10/16

Michigan is poised for a big season
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post

It's been a while since UNH and Michigan have played -- IIRC, it was our loss to them in Manchester.
      There was a 5-5 or 4-4 tie at Yost sometime after that, maybe 2005 or 2006 in an October weekend where UNH played at Mich and MSU (got shelacked by MSU on a Sunday afternoon after a great game at Mich, IIRC)

Comment

Michigan "should" be ranked # 2 in the nation when the game starts with Miami of Ohio's loss to you guys and UND's pathetic tie vs. Alaska. Good luck! I hope the game's on TV somewhere.
        Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
          Michigan "should" be ranked # 2 in the nation when the game starts with Miami of Ohio's loss to you guys and UND's pathetic tie vs. Alaska. Good luck! I hope the game's on TV somewhere.
          Other than unhwildcats.tv I don't believe its on TV at all.

Looking forward to checking out the re-vamped Towse rink and hockey for the first time this season..

Comment

Even if exhibitions do not count, Michigan has to give attention tomorrow night to the U-18 USNDT at Yost. It will be the third game in five nights, so fatigue may be a factor (along w/ travel) come saturday night.

Still, this is a team that is still trying to find its way back to its post season form from last season after tying Mercyhurst at home, winning a tight exhibition against Western Ontario and taking two penalty filled games on the road against BG.

The Wolverines are full of experience up front and in net, but are breaking in three freshmen defensemen. They are led by senior forwards Carl Hagelin, Louie Caporusso and Matt Rust. The biggest difference this season is that there appears to be more depth with the addition of three capable freshmen forwards and the return of nine other forwards (in addition to the aforementioned senior leaders) from last season. Offense or special teams should not be a concern.

The defense took the biggest hit from graduation, losing two senior starters. This appears to be the area in need of improvement as there is only one senior starter that will consistently be in the lineup. There is one other senior, a couple of juniors, a sophomore and three freshmen battling for playing time.
            Look for Jon Merrill to be the biggest freshman contributor. He is going to make mistakes, but for the most part this kid is going to be a top performer.

A pair of seniors are sharing netminder duties. Shawn Hunwick led Michigan to the Midwest Regional final last season, after a remarkable run through the CCHA playoffs. Bryan Hogan was the starter last season until he suffered a season ending injury with two games left in the regular season. Both are capable goaltenders that will require a total team effort in front of them to succeed. Neither of them will steal a game.

Michigan is an up tempo, fast skating team that can be physical if need be. They have been trying to fight through an early season issue with penalties and are still seeking a game where their effort is consistent for the entire sixty minutes. Both issues plagued them in blowing a 4-0 lead against Mercyhurst, and kept Bowling Green in their games this weekend. I do not know if the NCAA is mandating a tighter officiated game, but Michigan will have to reduce their penalties, especially the HFB majors, if they expect to win games against top opponents this season.

Oh, and for the record, we Michigan fans do not hope that the HEA sends Gravelese and Bunyon to officiate this weekend. If you need to ask why, check the controversy they created in last year's Midwest regional final in OT

Should be a great game. Go Blue!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
              Looking forward to checking out the re-vamped Towse rink and hockey for the first time this season..
              Seamless Glass! Sorry, Josh - no photography holes.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3137234_n.jpg
              I haven't been on here in a year...
              Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

I doubt that. Rankings don't mean very much right now, or at all, really. Michigan has as much potential as any top ten team in the country to make a run at a title. North Dakota is a fine team, as is Alaska, which will compete for the CCHA title with Michigan and Miami. I'd give UND's tie up in Alaska more credence than Michigan's tie against Mercyhurst at home. As a matter of fact, I think Alaska was the only team to take BC to the wire during last season's NCAA playoffs.

UNH fans should be excited after splitting with Miami in Oxford. Tough place to play against another top team.

edit:

UND tied Anchorage, and beat UA. Still, playing in Alaska is not easy, even if UAA is not highly regarded.
                Last edited by streaker; 10-11-2010, 08:59 AM.

Comment

The people who rank UM 4th don't watch the games. We are not a #4 team, let alone a #2 team right now.

That can change if two things happen:

1) if they can stay out of the penalty box- this is killing our team. With all of the PK time, the team is pretty gassed by the 3rd period, and seems to just try to hold on at that point. And we are loosing team members with CFB calls. While some of the calls are quite bad, there are enough good calls that really bode poorly for the Wolverines. Very frustrating watching them right now.

2) If they can take advantage of their fast starts. They have been coming our FLYING at the start of the games so far. But that has not translated into much as of yet. Friday's game at BG showed this when BG scored the first goal after being dominated WRT puck and zone possesion.

I still am not all that confident in Hunwick, yet, as well- he's starting to show some signs of- well- overplaying and over committing. We'll see.

With UNH splitting with Miami IN OXFORD- well, that does say a lot about your team. Hopefully, they will be good games.

Comment

There was a 5-5 or 4-4 tie at Yost sometime after that, maybe 2005 or 2006 in an October weekend where UNH played at Mich and MSU (got shelacked by MSU on a Sunday afternoon after a great game at Mich, IIRC)
                    That was 2004 - most of the talk amongst UNH fans at the Michigan State game was how the Red Sox had blown it again, following a 19-8 loss to the NYY the night before...

Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

UNH lost to Michigan in the 2004 Manchester Regionals, 4-1, in what I remember was a very lethargic performance. The next October, on the weekend that the Sox started their comeback against the Yankees (always like to throw that in there) they tied them 4-4 in a Friday night game at Yost. I remember that freshman Josh Ciocco had two goals. Of course, there are other NCAA games, Michigan's shutout in the 1998 semis and UNH's OT win in Worcester the next year.

Michigan always plays high tempo, they always have explosive scorers and, in the late stages of the season, they seem to know how to get it done. And, of course, Red Berenson is one of the all time legends among coaches. BTW, Michigan fans, when is he going to retire. Isn't he 70?

Should be a good game, up tempo on the big sheet. UNH stayed with Miami skating wise both nights and took advantage of some spotty goaltending to win on Saturday night. A win against a top team on the road is a tremendous confidence boost for the players who, let's face it, did not cover themselves with glory against non-conference opponents last year. This will be a good test.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                        And, of course, Red Berenson is one of the all time legends among coaches. BTW, Michigan fans, when is he going to retire. Isn't he 70?
                        Yes, he is. And he can still skate circles around many of us. He is in fine health and just signed a three year contract in the off season.

Comment

Any word if Mac Bennett will be suspended for getting 15 and a game on Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by montreal View Post
                            Any word if Mac Bennett will be suspended for getting 15 and a game on Saturday?
                            He got a HFB + a game misconduct, not a game disqualification. He will be good to go unless the CCHA changes the ruling.

Comment

So are any Michigan folks coming out for the game? If so, the Friends of UNH Hockey is hosting a pre-game tailgate adjacent to the football field, which is diagonally across the street from the Whittemore Center. Festivities begin at 3:30, bring your own food and beverage (beer is allowed). Hope to see you there.

Comment

Working...
                              X