Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miami Hosts University of New Hampshier Oct. 8th-9th.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miami Hosts University of New Hampshier Oct. 8th-9th.

Good early test for both teams. High scoring games last year in Durham. Both teams with high expecatations coming into the year. Out come doesn't mean long term success or failure but two wins for either may be extremely helpfull come PWR time.
    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Re: Miami Hosts University of New Hampshier Oct. 8th-9th.

Despite the fact that UNH appears to be consistently ranked in the top-10 of national polls, I'm not sure there are high expectations for this team. I know I don't have high expectations - Im not sure where the scoring depth comes from and I don't think the goaltending will be any better than average...lots of players will have to make big strides this season for the Wildcats.

This weekend, I'm expecting alma mater to beat up on hometown team. Wish I could be there...
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

Should be a fun series. Any UNH posters making the trip to Oxford?

rhm, New Hampshier?

Comment

You nailed it Redhawk when you talk about the PRW...it's funny how the article earlier this year about the teams that haven't won a NC had our 2 teams on top....could there be any better representatives of what a coach should be in Umile and Blasi? I'm hoping that UNH gives a better game to Miami than last year....for UNH, Saturday was the first official practice, so assuming that holds true for all D-1 schools, anything can happen this early...personnally, I was hoping that you folks would've picked up the NC the last couple of years....it was good for Hockey East to win the crown the last 3 years but let's be honest, Miami has been superb those years as well. I'm one who believes that excellance can be attained without a national crown but I'm well into the minority....too bad for both our schools...good luck

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post

rhm, New Hampshier?
          Wish I could afford it but the cost to get out there is just too much money for this hoser.
          UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

rhm, New Hampshier?
            I think we have ourselves a new USCHO meme.

Comment

I'll be out there with my friend Tom. I know of a few other people, plus the parents of some of the players who will make the trek.

We're staying at the Marcum Inn, which I'm told is right next to the campus. I have a friend whose daughter graduated from Miami three years ago and he has stayed there several times. He recommended it highly

Two questions. Any good brew pubs within walking distance? Second, I see the weather is supposed to be in the high 70's, so what's the golf like? Not bringing my clubs, but might bring the accessories, rent a set, and play or 9 or 18. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Looking forward to walking around the campus and seeing the new rink. Miami has to be smarting after their losses in the FF the last two years. it's a great program and we thoroughly enjoyed listening to Coach Blasi last year at UNH. I'm not sure what to expect from UNH. They have a veteran defensive corps and return some productive forwards, but are going with a goalie, DiGirolamo, who has played only a handful of games in his two years at UNH. No question these Miami games will be a big test. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into the debacle that we had last October at Wisconsin.

Comment

Marcum Conference center is actually not even off campus it is on the North End of campus which is about as far away as from the rink as possible but still only a 15 minute walk.

As for bars I would say the best is Steinkeller. Pretty large selection of some great foreign beers.

As for golf, I think the closest course is at the state park Hueston Woods which is pretty close to campus. Here is a description from their website

"Hueston Woods Golf Course is an 18-hole, par 72 championship course with four sets of tees ranging from 5251 to 7044 yards. It has been laid upon a generous 260 acres of land and has over 30 sand traps as well as unique water holes. Bent grass tees and greens accompanied by Kentucky bluegrass and rye blended fairways create ideal playing surfaces. Prominent golf course architect Jack Kidwell designed our course. It opened for play in 1969."

Hope you guys have a safe trip should be some great hockey.
                2014-15 NCAA Weekly Pick'em Overall and NCAA Tournament Champion

Love and Honor

Comment

Should be a good weekend of puck. Sadly. I can only make Fridays. Who the hell has a wedding the weekend of this series?!? The woman would kill me if I went Saturday too. But what's a week in the doghouse? Its only her sisters wedding, maybe I can be persuasive

Comment

Haha good luck with that mcfaljd. Hope you can make it both nights.

Love and Honor

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                      No question these Miami games will be a big test. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into the debacle that we had last October at Wisconsin.
                      Heading to Oxford and couldn't agree more... Madison was painful.

What's the scoop with "Standing Room Only" tickets?

Comment

You will be given standing room behind any of the sections (still a good view). Then with five minutes remaining in the first period you will be able to move down to an open seat granted there are any open seats. I would get into the rink as early as possible and talk to an usher in the section you would like to sit and they should hook you up if there are any open seats. May be few and far between being opening series against such a highly touted opponent.

Love and Honor

Comment

Thanks for the info! *grin*

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                            Two questions. Any good brew pubs within walking distance? Second, I see the weather is supposed to be in the high 70's, so what's the golf like? Not bringing my clubs, but might bring the accessories, rent a set, and play or 9 or 18. Suggestions would be appreciated.
                            I would second Stienkellers as your best bet for some good beer, as well as actually being able to sit down and enjoy it. Don't know what the age demographic of your group is, but Stiens is definitely one of the few bars around town that anyone over the age of 25 would be ok with setting foot in .

Hueston Woods is the best corse in the area. Usually in excellent shape and it is a state park course so pretty inexpensive which is always nice. Course plays pretty long so hope your driver is working for you or it might be a long day out on the links.
                            Last edited by MUhawks628; 10-04-2010, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Not heading out (poor, and have a wedding in NY to attend on Saturday), but will be watching Friday's game on TV.

I don't see UNH winning either game unless the D does what it did this past weekend and just completely shuts down Miami's offense. I am hopeful that either DiGirolamo will improve, or one of the other goalies will step up as the season wears on, but right now, I think goaltending is this team's top problem area. 2nd to that is finishing. Not exactly a recipe for success on the road against a top team.
                              Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                              -Fred Shero

Comment

Working...
                              X