UNH Wildcats: 2010-2011 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Wildcats: 2010-2011 Season Thread

Better late than never ... 'Cats start the season strong with a 2-1 win against Connecticut to begin League play.
    UNH WILDCATS
    NORTHEASTERN HUSKIES

Re: UNH Wildcats: 2010-2011 Season Thread

I was impressed with the 'Cats play yesterday. We knew going in what we'd lost, and that scoring would be a question.

The first goal was a beautifully executed 2 on 1. Britt Skudder, who played a strong game, showing a lot of offensive zone mobility, carried the puck in with Sarah Cuthbert, pulled the goalie and dished. Cuthbert handled the pass cleanly, and buried it before Garcia had a chance to react. Julie Allen also assisted on the play. She looks to have picked up speed to go with the scoring flair she demonstrated at the end of last season.

The second goal was much like the first, but with different personnel. Lavoie was the recipient of a great tic tac toe play with Kristine Horn and Rookie Ariell O'Neill.

The second period was a bit sloppy. Herman played well, but UConn beat UNH on a well played odd man situation early. The rest of the game looked like a first game of the season, but overall it was a good showing. I'm particularly impressed at the poise the rookies showed in their first college outing. All 5 got significant ice time and did well, even under pressure from UConn.

I expect that this team will be pleasantly surprising, but, that is what I expected
    Last edited by DC78-82; 10-04-2010, 02:24 PM.
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Whea Team Of The Week!

NEW HAMPSHIRE WILDCATS
      The Wildcats earned a 2-1 road victory on Saturday in the league opener vs. Connecticut at Freitas Ice Forum in Storrs. UNH outshot the Huskies, 23-16 for the game. The Cats were a perfect 6 for 6 on the penalty kill. UNH scored both goals in the first period just 61 seconds apart, as Kristina Lavoie and Sarah Cuthbert got UNH on the scoreboard early. Kayley Herman notched 15 saves in net for New Hampshire.

HOCKEY EAST WEEKLY TOP PERFORMERS

Kristina Lavoie, UNH (So., F, Fonthill, Ont.) Scored the game-winning goal on Saturday in the 2-1 victory at UConn.

Kayley Herman, UNH (Sr., G, Weyburn, Sask.) Stopped 15 of 16 shots to record a .938 save percentage in the 2-1 road victory vs. UConn.

Arielle O'Neill, UNH (Fr., F, St. Catharines, Ont.) Recorded her first career point with an assist on the game-winning goal at UConn.
      "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

A rough weekend for the 'Cats, as they returned to Durham without a win, although we knew going in this would be a tough year.

Arielle O'Neill picked up her first two goals as a Wildcat, and our Captains made sure to gather the first goal puck for her.

From what I've seen (and, thus far, I've seen it all ) this team has a lot of talent, but at least not yet, a player who can command the game (think Kelly Paton winning an offensive zone faceoff with a tie score and under 10 seconds on the clock, taking it to the net and scoring). They show some moments of good cohesion, but it's evident that they're not all on the same page all the time, and the breakdowns have cost goals. Staying out of the box will help, but I can't honestly say that every penalty was well deserved, and a few just didn't make a ton of sense to me, but that's the game.

I do think that this is quite possibly a team that will simmer before it boils, and despite losing two games on a long roadtrip, the attitude was positive, goaltending was solid, and there was never a point (even down 4 - 0 halfway through the 3rd) where UNH looked or played defeated.

I know if we'd been looking at a 3 - 0 record, and a repeat spot in the top 10 Nationally this week, there would be more buzz on this thread, but if we're going to have to swallow a few losses in a season, I will gladly do so now, and save the wins for March.
        Last edited by DC78-82; 10-13-2010, 02:16 PM. Reason: Bought a vowel (and used it to complete Arielle's name:P)

Comment

I know it sounds like sour milk but I'd have loved to see UNH and BC switch their games this past weekend...let BC play the more talented team first and then play the lesser team when they are tired out..BC definitely benefitted from Syracuse being played out...I know it's just the way life goes, and I agree with DC about knowing this will be a slow starting year, I just would like to get a few breaks when we can....with my whining out, I have no doubt that this team will do UNH and it's history proud! Starting the year out on the road might just be the best tonic for the team in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
            I know it sounds like sour milk but I'd have loved to see UNH and BC switch their games this past weekend...let BC play the more talented team first and then play the lesser team when they are tired out..BC definitely benefitted from Syracuse being played out...
            I kind of get what you are saying in regards to Syracuse, but why didn't UNH benefit from Colgate being played out after having just faced BC? At this point of the season, it is often tough to say just who the more talented team is.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              I kind of get what you are saying in regards to Syracuse, but why didn't UNH benefit from Colgate being played out after having just faced BC? At this point of the season, it is often tough to say just who the more talented team is.
              It ain't how ya start........

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                New Hampshire:

Heather Kashman ..............F .....................(Edmonton Thunder) ..............................Edmonton, AB
                Jennifer Gilligan .................G ........................(Pacific Steelers) ...............................Maple Ridge, BC
                Paige Savage ...................F ...................(USA18s/NAHA) .........................Carrollton, TX
                So what's the word on these three?
                113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Wildcats In the Autumn Sun
                  *****http://i433.***********.com/albums/qq55/hockeyHux/UNHTeam2.jpg******
                  On the ground: Allen, Dziengelewski, Morrison
                  Kneeling: Gifford, Campbell, O'Neill, Armstrong, Sheary, Herman, Minton
                  Standing: Brock, Birchard, Horn, Cuthbert, Chappell, Farris, Goloubef, Skudder, Lavoie, Hunt. Missing Clark & Kleinendorst

Hoping for good weather to shoot another in Albany this Friday that will include the complete team
                  Last edited by Hux; 10-12-2010, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Hello Friends!

Needless to say, the trip to Syracuse and Colgate didn’t put any points up for our Wildcats as a team, but there were some bright spots in a weekend that contributed abnormally to the loss column.

Orange Abounds
                    Friday was a beautiful day for a 6 hour drive, and the Central New York scenery did not disappoint, although gazing at the same stretch of green pastures and burnt orange leaves while traffic inched ahead was more than I needed!
                    It was my first trip to the home of the Big Orange, and I was happy to see so many Friends and family at the game. CNY is a lot closer than coastal NH for many of our Wildcat’s families, so UNH made a great showing in the stands, taking up at least half of the seating.

From a scoreboard perspective, there wasn’t much to cheer about though. Syracuse opened up the scoring early, and despite 7 power plays in the first two stanzas, UNH was looking at a three goal deficit when they returned for the third. Things went from bleak to bleaker when Syracuse added a 4th goal, but at the halfway point of the third, Kristina Lavoie sprung Rookie Arielle O’Neill free of defenders with a nicely placed pass from the face off circle. O’Neill showed veteran poise when she deked the goalie and buried her first goal as a Wildcat. From the polite applause in the stands behind me, I never would have known I was a row in front of her family! The clock ticked down, and despite two more man advantages, UNH could not close the gap. Finally, with just minutes left in the game, Syracuse was whistled for their 11th infraction of the evening, and once again Arielle O’Neill found the back of the net – this time to the sound of raucous clapping from the extended O’Neill family! For her efforts, Ms. O’Neill was named third star of the game and a Top Performer in Hockey East this week. Hannah Armstrong picked up her first UNH assist on the play, and Kristine Horn was credited with a helper as well.

BTW - Congrats to former Boston Shamrock, Sadie St. Germain, a Syracuse rookie, on her first collegiate point, but geez - could you have just waited?

Cooking at the ‘Gate
                    On Saturday, many of UNH’s Friends and family gathered early outside Starr Rink for a pre-game barbecue. The weather was perfect, and the offerings bountiful. Rookie Sarah Campbell’s family wins the BBQ award for their huge spread which included homemade chili, local hot dogs, and cake for desert. There is evidently no height the family dog, Bauer, will not jump for a good chili dog! Helping himself to that treat landed the canine Campbell in a down stay, but I'm sure he figures some penalties are just worth taking!The treat of the day however, was a road trip visit by Murray and Debbie Paton. Evidently Kelly’s game that day (in Switzerland) was a little too far, so they made the trip down to fill one of those open spaces on the calendar. It was great to see them, and hopefully they’re planning the next trip!

Once inside, I had the pleasure of sitting with a current teammate of mine, who played at Colgate back in the early years. After three periods of scoreless play, and UNH outshooting the Raiders 31 – 17 in regulation, she remarked that the game would probably end with a fluky bounce, and bite her tongue, that’s exactly what happened. After playing a penalty filled second and a penalty free third, UNH was sent to the box for checking. The Raiders took advantage, and on a scrum in front, slipped a puck past netminder Lindsey Minton, who saved her team on more than one occasion that afternoon. A tough loss, but a much better showing by our ‘Cats.

Back Again
                    UNH retraces it’s path to New York this weekend, cutting the trip short, with stops at RPI on Friday and Union on Saturday. RPI is off to a tough start, dropping their first two on the road at Wisconsin, and returning from Hockey East’s UVM with two ties. This will be the second game UNH has played against the Engineers, and the first in Troy. UNH continues the tour of New York on Saturday with a game against Union, who is looking for their first W after losing to Northeastern and BU.

If you’re thinking of making the trip, leave plenty of time for traffic and weather, as Friday is supposed to be rainy and windy. If you plan to stay home, Watch the games live or follow them on LiveStats here.

Hopefully I'll see you this weekend. Be safe, and GO BLUE!
                    Last edited by DC78-82; 10-13-2010, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Nice report DC. We will be doing our own drive through colored NY leaf gazing this coming weekend.

Maybe see you on the 24th or the 30th.

Comment

BC - Brown - I'll be there!

Comment

Monday morning and I find myself posting to myself again

The 'Cats came away back on track with 4 points. The RPI game was a tough match. Both teams had chances, and although UNH seemed to be in control, the score was too close to take anything for granted, but they fought for the lead and held on against a team that took us to the final seconds before breaking a tie last year.

Union was the weakest opponent UNH has faced this year, but it's great to see freshman getting on the scoresheet, and for the bench to be used a little more fully.

The team looked much more solid this weekend than they had, and that bodes well for them. Scoring is spread out, which is good.

I'm looking forward to a strong home opening weekend against two more of New York's finest.
                          Last edited by DC78-82; 10-18-2010, 08:14 AM.

Comment

*****http://i433.***********.com/albums/qq55/hockeyHux/HermanPregameFocus.jpg******
                            Deep Thinker: Kaley Herman is all focus prior to the game with RPI.

*****http://i433.***********.com/albums/qq55/hockeyHux/ONeillSlappah2.jpg******
                            Robbed-Part Two: Freshman goal scoring machine Arielle O'Neill is robbed for the second time, as her "Wicked Slappah" will catch top corner iron.

*****http://i433.***********.com/albums/qq55/hockeyHux/GiffordCelebratesFirstGoal.jpg******
                            Into The Record Book: Freshman Nicole Gifford tallied her first collegiate goal, and first of the game against RPI.

*****http://i433.***********.com/albums/qq55/hockeyHux/HereandThere.jpg******
                            Here and There: Captain Courtney Birchard was all over the ice against RPI, playing both forward and defense. She scored as a forward, and added an assist from the blueline.

*****http://i433.***********.com/albums/qq55/hockeyHux/LavoievsRPI.jpg******
                            Wildcat Growl: Known for her ear splitting cat growls prior to each game, Soph Kristina Lavoie made noise in the third with a big blast from the slot that would prove to be the game winner.
                            Last edited by Hux; 10-18-2010, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Wicked nice picks Hux.....

Comment

Working...
                              X