X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
    I miss Magoo...
    You've got me all teary-eyed, Greencoat!

Actually I've been lurking around all year, checking the thread every day to see who else is ready to jump in Taylor Lake. Unbelievable year - what else is there to say. Yes the past few years have been subpar (last year notwithstanding) but as Gate Radio says, these things go in cycles. From 2004-2008 we were in the ECAC tournament 4 times -- that's not that long ago. Our last NCAA appearance in 2005 isn't that distant a memory. Look at Vermont. 2 years ago they were in the Frozen 4 and this year the have 5 wins overall. Lowell is way down this year. Someone just mentioned Harvard.

One factor in our recent struggles that I don't think anyone's mentioned is that there are more D1 programs now. The Atlantic Hockey league sent a team to the Frozen 4 last year and www have to compete with them now for players. I have faith in Don Vaughan. I think he's done very well here. I know not everyone agrees with me about that. That's OK. But to say he's "lazy and incompetent" is ridiculous.

This year will be over soon. It's a shame that the seniors are going out like this. I agree with Vicb in that if we don't get a win this weekend then we may go winless the rest of the way. But maybe all we need is one win to get our guy's confidence back. There are some good players on this team despite the record, although it is what it is...

Comment

• Re: Colgate 2010-11

welcome back Magoo...good point about Atlantic Hockey (with Penn State to follow)...I truly feel bad for the kids, because, although I've been pretty critical of some aspects of the program (AD, Silver Puck) I know they're trying...this won't happen, but it would also be great if SOME students turned out to say to the kids: "Hey, lousy season, but we're here to provide some support." Hell, we've got a small, intimate school and everybody knows everybody...it's easy to show up when it "the thing to do" (a la Cornell game)...you'd like to think that some kids would have the grace to lend a hand when things are gotten badly...

Comment

• Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
        I would also hazard somewhat of a guess, but my feeling is that our support group for football (the Maroon Council) is quite simply more effective than its counterpart in hockey, the Silver Puck Council. Leadership in the MC is proactive and dedicated to maintaining a winning tradition. I don't doubt Silver Puck's desire for success, but the leadership is, in my opinoin, too passive...
        Spot on. Just go to the Silver Puck website. I think the last update was 2008. I support Silver Puck but it is about time they picked up the flag and got a lot more involved, proactive and provide more of a leadership role. They should support the coach when he deserves support but ultimately they need to protect and advance the program. Maybe they should hold a fan forum party and get all of us in a room. As crazy as that sounds we all love Gate hockey and have promoted good ideas. We are the most loyal and caring fan base. Let's get together and celebrate Gate hockey but also criticize it. Rip it apart and put it back together better than before. We need innovative out of the box thinking.

Comment

The football program outreaches the hockey program because it has more players and coaches; perhaps that means more support in the long run.

Harp34
          Don't know if I agree with your SLU/Gate assessment. The Raiders have come up short more than once, especially on the road. And to say we have home field advantage is ridiculous. Your fans always bring a loyal, vocal following to Starr and it's great.

Interesting comment that the Ivy teams have dropped some of us a notch...but Union has only recently been in the upper half of the league and it has been a LONG time coming. I am speechless about UVM...thought their program would improve leaps and bounds in HE and hated to see them leave the ECAC. Despite their Frozen Four appearance, I don't think their records have been stellar, have they? Seems like Sneddon is in a similar boat as Vaughan. Very unlike fans at the Gut to not see their Catamounts win, especially at home in that great barn!
          C O L G A T E
          2023 ECAC CHAMPION
          1990 NCAA FINALS
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
          ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
          ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Have no fear Clarkson is here.
            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by Marmot View Post
              Changing the topic a bit, hopefully this d-man we just signed (Spiro Goulakos) will help a bit. I know nothing of the league he's in, but he's averaged almost a point a game. 2 and a half penalty minutes a game too.
              Will take his offensive skills but we don't need any more penalties. Anyone know if he is related to the Goulakos that played with Don at St. Lawrence?

Comment

I seem to be missing one page on the thread (from last night)...for those of you who were unfortunate viewers of the SLU rout last night I think the fourth SLU goal kind of sums everything up...this team is deteriorating, not improving and, after four+ seasons of managing to get by on a thread, the chickens have come home...complacency and lack of competence are a powerful combination...what's done is done and those of us who have been spot on about this program take no joy in being right...we are all 'Gate fans because it's in our DNA...everyone involved with this program should do a little soul searching (stop the childish optimism and silly excuses) and, like an alcoholic joining AA, first admit there's a real problem here. We're ranked 57th out of 58 DI team and even during the previous four years our KRACH numbers were no higher than the mid= to high 30s. For those of you who care (many won't) I will find out today the LAST TIME THIS PROGRAM RECORDED A QUALITY (TOP 10) WIN OVER A NON-ECAC OPPONENT. If I am able to reach anyone closely involved with the program over the next few days I don't believe the conversation will be a pleasant one...

Comment

Originally posted by Woodstick View Post
                  Will take his offensive skills but we don't need any more penalties. Anyone know if he is related to the Goulakos that played with Don at St. Lawrence?
                  You know what, I bet he is and he is in the age range to possibly be his son. From what I can see on LinkedIn, there is a George Goulakos that currenty lives in Montreal (works for CTV) and that is Spiro's hometown.

Edit: Vaughan did not play with him though. Goulakos was a senior in 1980-1981 and that's when Don was playing at Canton.
                  Last edited by 'Gate Radio; 02-05-2011, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Good news for a change: Andy Mac had a helper in last night's 5-3 win for the Blues over the Oilers. After 24 days on the DL he apparently looked very good in his first game back...speedy and like he hasn't lost a step.

Agree with Greencoat: missing a page from last night - what happened? Would like to read up on poster's comments about the shutout, even though it's more bad news.
                    COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

At the risk of repeating myself, what was quite bittersweet yesterday was watching Mark Murphy on CNBC discussing both the upcoming Super Bowl game and the current financial status of both the Packers and the NFL...Colgate has been blessed with a long line of successful ADs, all of whom had a longstanding relationship with the university, from Hal Lahar to Fred Dunlap to Mark Murphy. This "chain" has been severed and with it, in my opinion, any short-term hope of re-establishing a competitive athletic tradition. People always say Colgate should have an alum as President; I would suggest that an alum as AD is more important. If not, someone from a successful DIII school (Middlebury, Williams, etc.) who has a fire in his/her belly to strive for excellence instead of (at best) mediocrity.

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                        Agree with Greencoat: missing a page from last night - what happened? Would like to read up on poster's comments about the shutout, even though it's more bad news.
                        Tough night. No pressure on the PP, no defense on the PK. Otherwise fairly disjointed game. SLU shut us down defensively pretty well, and there weren't many chances on goal. The two late 1st period goals really sank the game, as it let the Saints continue to pack it in defensively when necessary

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                        At the risk of repeating myself, what was quite bittersweet yesterday was watching Mark Murphy on CNBC discussing both the upcoming Super Bowl game and the current financial status of both the Packers and the NFL...Colgate has been blessed with a long line of successful ADs, all of whom had a longstanding relationship with the university, from Hal Lahar to Fred Dunlap to Mark Murphy. This "chain" has been severed and with it, in my opinion, any short-term hope of re-establishing a competitive athletic tradition. People always say Colgate should have an alum as President; I would suggest that an alum as AD is more important. If not, someone from a successful DIII school (Middlebury, Williams, etc.) who has a fire in his/her belly to strive for excellence instead of (at best) mediocrity.
                        Agree about the necessity of an alum AD, though I'm not sure how I feel about looking to NESCAC schools for solutions. Maybe I spend too much time reading the musings/concerns of the Voy board, but too much of a D-III mindset concerns me, especially in the larger picture of the athletics department. Not saying they couldn't find the right person, but I'm hesistant at first glance. This does not change the fact, though, that I am hardly dreading the day when Roach leaves
                        ECAC Champions: 1990
                        NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
                        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
                        ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
                        NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
                        Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                          Just was wondering what you all think of the Clarkson ...weekend coming up. Seems like Clarkson and Gate like to play for ties the past few years. .
                          Clarkson 2 Colgate 2 (Women)
                          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

at this point we would have to be insane not to take a tie if objectivity rules the day...How's George Roll doing up there; there must be some serious discontent

Comment

We didn't allow an ENG...but scored a big goose egg for the first time in a year. Can't even muster an attack against another struggling team. Then again, our track record against the Saints isn't pretty anyway. IMO we have never been a disciplined team and have never been able to stay out of the box. Sorry to see Day's scoring streak end.

Thought the odds may actually be in our favor to win a game the more the season progressed. Last year's 19OT games look golden right now. Where's a good Atlantic Hockey team like Sacred Heart or Army to beat up on when we need 'em?!

Is the Tech band coming to Starr? How sad that only 112 people last night didn't get a 'blackout' t-shirt...or maybe they were fortunate depending on your view.
                              C O L G A T E
                              2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                              1990 NCAA FINALS
                              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                              ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                              ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

our track record against SLU was just fine except for the fact that we've lost the last 8 in a row...I'm not so sure we'd beat Sacred Heart right now...how long was Brian Day's scoring streak - 4 games...we all feel the pain, but these are pretty sad straws to grasp...

Comment

Working...
                                X