X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2010-11

Originally posted by Gaterrooter View Post
    I disagree with the argument by Greencoat giving "competitive" players the "pass" on excessive penalty minutes. There is a way to play the game with physicality that doesn't result in stupid, behind the play slashes or trips. I've seen 15 plus games this year and I would submit that the players on this team that play with a physical game are not the most penalized. Those players just don't over react when they are hit or when someone takes the puck away.
    How many Games did you watch last year, or the year(s) before ? Whats your experience with playing the game as a competitor in a D-1 program ? In fact, whats your experience playing hockey ? Brian Day works his butt off, Doesn't He ?
    Last edited by doghok; 02-01-2011, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doghok View Post
      This is starting to become a very distasteful thread, one that I will not be part of any longer. I,m out.

Then...

How many Games did you watch last year, or the year(s) before ? Whats your experience with playing the game as a competitor in a D-1 program ? In fact, whats your experience playing hockey ? Brian Day works his butt off, Doesn't He ?
      Another post from Doghok after he said he was done? I disagree with some of the personal attacks on specific posters that happen on this thread. But you Doghok, personally attack any one that disagrees with the coaching staff. What is your connection to the program and who made you the all knowing hockey God? Follow your statement and get off the thread if you can't encourage and deal with a variety of opinions.

I am willing to listen to anyones opinion. I may not agree with it, I may argue it, but I am willing to listen.

My opinion... and you can take it or leave it. I can live with hard nosed penalties on the puck. I can probably tolerate emotional off the puck penalties when a team is winning. But, dumb off the puck penalties when a team is in a downward spiral of losses is unacceptable. It isn't just Day it is most of our "leaders" on the team. Did you watch the Princeton broadcast? Melrose thought the tolerance of dumb penalties was one of our major problems and blamed it on the coaches. And, in my book Barry is more of a hockey God than you!
      Last edited by HockeyEh; 02-01-2011, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Doghok is clearly Don Vaughan or Jason Lefevre or their bastard love child who's been banished to a life of working in the penalty/score keeper's box if only as a means of remaining close to those who have turned their backs on him. His senseless defense of them illuminates the deep seeded longing he has for their recognition even if this expression only manifests itself in the deep recesses of the USCHO D1 forum. If they knew the depth of his hockey knowledge they would understand how to fix the team. However, sadly, the staff does not and we continue on, down the same path we have for years.

I'm sorry for bashing the coaches. I'm not sorry for bashing Doghok because, if anything, his inability to communicate his remedies to the coaches he implicitly knows has only prolonged each and every one of our sufferings. Unless he is on the staff or has done this and then, well, we're doomed.

Comment

Originally posted by doghok View Post

dh, Last year I saw about 15 games like I have for the past 4 years at Colgate. I have no experience as a D1 competitor and the relevance of this question is? Can we now not comment unless we have a history as a D1 competitor (and I thought Shabby's drug test was tough)? That makes no sense. I have a 30 year history of watching college, junior and pro hockey so I know the game enough to comment. Do I need your expertise to make a point that is obvious to everybody?

dh, you also put words in my mouth/thread that I did not say. My comment was not questioning Brian's work ethic at all. That can not be questioned! Nor, did I even mention his name in my comment. My statement was and is the same. That NO players (on this team or any team) should take what amounts to retaliatory penalties away from, or behind the play. That is not competitiveness! What is competitiveness is the way everyone on this team still comes to play and give their best efforts even though they've lost 20 games.
          The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

It's getting a little ugly boys...please...let's start with the premise (I hope we can start here) that we all truly care about this program. It is the vagaries of human nature that we have people who are optimists and those who are pessimists. As you know, I've been in the pessimist camp since day #1, a fact that, believe me, I will not "gloat" about...there are structural issues at play here and they (again to beat a dead horse) start with the administration, the current AD, and, in my opinion, a coaching staff that DOES miss the presence of Moore and Dickson. Andrew is now scouting for the Buffalo Sabres BTW...one example of the above bevy of issues: we're bringing in (what) 3 or 4 freshmen next year...please...#2 - many of last year's freshmen seem to have regressed this year. I've talked with some near the program and, frankly, I'm not overly optimistic about their interpretations of what is wrong and what is needed...I'D LOVE TO BE DEAD WRONG...

Comment

...haven't mentioned prospects for a new facility, but it would be a huge help...don't know if AD is for it (he probably wants a better trail for women's cross country first), but hopefully new president will be so inclined to push it sooner rather than later...might even get our self-involved student body out for a game or two, in between indoctrination sessions on "global warming"...

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                Andrew is now scouting for the Buffalo Sabres
                GC....Andrew Dickson is a scout for the Columbus Blue Jackets.
                I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                  one example of the above bevy of issues: we're bringing in (what) 3 or 4 freshmen next year...please...#2 - many of last year's freshmen seem to have regressed this year. I've talked with some near the program and, frankly, I'm not overly optimistic about their interpretations of what is wrong and what is needed...I'D LOVE TO BE DEAD WRONG...
                  Here's something that I think has been a problem for the past 2 years -- having only 7 defenseman on the roster since we usually dress 6. We just got a new recruit yesterday ... Spiro ??? (forget his last name), he's 1990 born, defenseman, and he's a 2011 recruit. That means we now have 4 incoming freshman for next year, and 2 of them are d-men giving us a total of 8 blueliners for next year.

Also of note, the other incoming defenseman (Brendan Corcoran) is also 1990-born. That should give us an age advantage on the blue line. And don't forget that we'll still have 4 goalies on the roster too.
                  Colgate '09

Comment

Just to echo Green Coat's points a bit, whether we're optimists or pessimists, we all come here because we care about Colgate hockey. Certainly I would imagine there is plenty of room for divergent viewpoints. Ultimately, at the end of the day all we all want to see is the program be successful.

Comment

Maybe my last post....Our little thread here of maybe fifteen years has never experienced such appauling negativity. Even during "low points" most of us have "stuck together" and continued to converse in mature ways about the "positives" AND "negatives" of OUR hockey club.

Do you really think Don Vaughan or Roach or any of the Colgate administration reads these? Not a chance ! This "thread" is for US, the faithfull backers (and there aren't many) of Colgate hockey. I have "lived and died" with Gate hockey since the early 1960's, there have been wonderful years, and not so wonderful years. We all lived thru the good and bad and never fought amongst each other because the team was down.

With the inability to recruit competively with most D1 programs we realised that "maybe" every five years or so we would make a little noise in the playoffs and even get to the "NCAA's. Every once in awhile a Fridgen, Earl, MacDonald, McIntyre would take us where we weren't supposed to be. I haven't seen a year like this since the 1970's, since then there has been alot of great times. Even last year we somehow "squeaked out" a fourth place finish, I don't know how.

Be realistic, a bad year "happens", how DV has accomplished what he has, is a truly amazing feat. He simply is NOT the problem, ECAC coaches truly respect him as they realise the odds that are "against" him and any other ECAC schools that have strict academic requirements to enroll. It's simply not like the WCHA CCHA etc !!

We are not DV, or Jason Lefebvre, we are "longtime supporters of Gate hockey" and stick with them no matter what. The ranting and raving and now....looking for negative stats and fire DV chants are doing absolutely nothing positive for the team. Please tell me what good these posts are for "anyone" except the perpetrators venting off some frustration. This is the "wrong" place. It falls upon deaf ears here!

I guess three posters here are parents of players who don't see enough "ice time"! Pay u'r dues like all the other players do. You all know who you are. Your kids will get their chances if they don't quit like Hamburg did. Let's get back together here, there aren't many of us that truly care about "our" program. I'm trying but don't have too many answers. What good does quitting on the team do...they have enough probs of their own.
                      Last edited by sshablak; 02-02-2011, 10:57 AM.
                      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

I'm out.

If you can't speak the truth on this board without being accused of being a "disgruntled parent" then why bother. You posters of yesteryear think you are the only 6 guys in the world that follow Colgate hockey and have a right to voice your opinions. Face it boys, a 20 loss season should cause concern for anyone ever associated with this storied program.

Good night.
                        The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                          Maybe my last post....Our little thread here of maybe fifteen years has never experienced such appauling negativity. Even during "low points" most of us have "stuck together" and continued to converse in mature ways about the "positives" AND "negatives" of OUR hockey club.

Do you really think Don Vaughan or Roach or any of the Colgate administration reads these? Not a chance ! This "thread" is for US, the faithfull backers (and there aren't many) of Colgate hockey. I have "lived and died" with Gate hockey since the early 1960's, there have been wonderful years, and not so wonderful years. We all lived thru the good and bad and never fought amongst each other because the team was down.

With the inability to recruit competively with most D1 programs we realised that "maybe" every five years or so we would make a little noise in the playoffs and even get to the "NCAA's. Every once in awhile a Fridgen, Earl, MacDonald, McIntyre would take us where we weren't supposed to be. I haven't seen a year like this since the 1970's, since then there has been alot of great times. Even last year we somehow "squeaked out" a fourth place finish, I don't know how.

Be realistic, a bad year "happens", how DV has accomplished what he has, is a truly amazing feat. He simply is NOT the problem, ECAC coaches truly respect him as they realise the odds that are "against" him and any other ECAC schools that have strict academic requirements to enroll. It's simply not like the WCHA CCHA etc !!

We are not DV, or Jason Lefebvre, we are "longtime supporters of Gate hockey" and stick with them no matter what. The ranting and raving and now....looking for negative stats and fire DV chants are doing absolutely nothing positive for the team. Please tell me what good these posts are for "anyone" except the perpetrators venting off some frustration. This is the "wrong" place. It falls upon deaf ears here!

I guess three posters here are parents of players who don't see enough "ice time"! Pay u'r dues like all the other players do. You all know who you are. Your kids will get their chances if they don't quit like Hamburg did. Let's get back together here, there aren't many of us that truly care about "our" program. I'm trying but don't have too many answers. What good does quitting on the team do...they have enough probs of their own.
                          AMEN, Shabby! You 'da' man!
                          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Totally agree with Gaterrooter...Shabby, you make the point: "We are long-term supporters of 'Gate hockey and stick with them no matter what"...Who's them??? I can't think of anyone on this thread that has really gotten even close to going after a specific player. In fact, virtually all posters concede that the kids are trying their hardest. As a "long-term supporter of Colgate hockey" (and I am) I'm not going to sit back and continue to throw out optimistic fantasy line to make myself feel better. I also, apparently, have a higher opinion of what is possible than your recent opinion. It is for EXACTLY THAT REASON (and the fact that until five years ago we had won c. 57% of our ECAC league games since 1984) that we are searching for answers. Can you explain to me how Dick Biddle can be so successful, virtually year-in and year-out, facing many of the same structural issues as the hockey program. The people in charge of our various athletic programs are adults and they can subject to the same criticism (both positive and negative) that we all face in our jobs. From my vantage point I enjoy the positive input from many, but in point of fact, I've gotten more valuable input from those who are as frustrated as yours truly. I just happen to think that, as a Colgate grad, we can do better and should'nt be content with the occasional winning season. I know it's 20 years ago, but we did go 31-6-1 in 1990 and were national runner-ups and we did have great years in 2000 and 2005. The last 5 years are not acceptable in my view...

Comment

I miss Magoo...

Comment

Gater....I'm not happy but I guess I've been here long enough to be realistic of expectations. Until we recruit more players somehow, maybe a new rink helps, or Colgate decides to "make a better effort" we will be lucky to even be in the "middle" of the pack. It's not DV's fault or the players, it's our administration, we have fallen way behind !

Who's them ? The teams! Some people here want DV's butt...I think that's ridiculous..and they are the new posters who I know some are parents.
                                Last edited by sshablak; 02-02-2011, 12:37 PM.
                                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Working...
                                X