• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colgate 2010-11

Dex suited but didn't play last night.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Listing of top freshman classes, according to INCH. St Lawrence and Cornell listed.
      By the way I really like our freshman class even though it's only 6 players and Mayer as a transfer.

http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Arch...steam_1011.htm
      Last edited by Gaterrooter; 10-14-2010, 02:01 PM.
      The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

Congrats to Dex - no mention of 'Gate in the article ;-)
        First impressions mean a lot - and I'm unimpressed w/ the new board. It's all about the lame advertising.

Three ECAC teams in the poll this week...and 'Gate @ #24 with 21 votes.
        Last edited by TchrBill; 10-15-2010, 05:29 AM.
        C O L G A T E
        2023 ECAC CHAMPION
        1990 NCAA FINALS
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
        ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
        ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Yikes 3-2 over Brock ? Stats make it look very unimpressive. Went to Ithaca...Eachus was unbelievable...record setting day(290 yards rushhing 3 TD's)just 25 carries. Win #600 it was great !!
          Last edited by sshablak; 10-17-2010, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Stats also say that neither Austin Smith, Wade Poplawski, Jeremy Price or Alex Evin suited up. I wouldnt worry too much it was just an exhibition.
            Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Bessette has not had enough playing time to get consistently good. Nice that we could test him out with Mihalik. Scoring some pp goals these 2 games - a good sign!

Still not liking this new web layout!
              C O L G A T E
              2023 ECAC CHAMPION
              1990 NCAA FINALS
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
              ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
              ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post
                Stats also say that neither Austin Smith, Wade Poplawski, Jeremy Price or Alex Evin suited up. I wouldnt worry too much it was just an exhibition.
                I was sitting next to all four of them in the press box at the end of the game. As I mentioned on Twitter, Gate dressed only five d-men (with Price and Poplawski out) and had a mix-match of lines because of guys sitting out. Nothing to worry about this early and it was an exhibition game.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned - the great crowd. I was shocked to see the building probably half full (including the pep band) with around 13 minutes to go in the third period. Hopefully they'll return in a few weeks when Sacred Heart rolls into town.

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
                  Still not liking this new web layout!
                  I hear ya'. There was a feedback link on the USCHO homepage, but I see it's been taken down. Was going to register my complaints, not that it would do any good.. What happened to the emotions??
                  COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

I was talking to a Brock coach and Brock played their 3rd string goalie for much of the game. Also they were missing two of their top offensive threats in Allen, Schmidt and their best defenceman Pell. Yes it was exhibition, but don't kid yourself, Colgate did not dominate this game.

Comment

Originally posted by GOGO View Post
                      I was talking to a Brock coach and Brock played their 3rd string goalie for much of the game. Also they were missing two of their top offensive threats in Allen, Schmidt and their best defenceman Pell. Yes it was exhibition, but don't kid yourself, Colgate did not dominate this game.
                      Well guess what, so did we.
                      Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

Comment

Going to be a tough weekend in the real North country. How we feeling?
                        The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

Not sure why we sat so many out..We outshot Brock 2-1 though.

Comment

What disappointing scheduling....nothing in October but Brock and Sacred Heart. Normally three or four OOC opponents in Oct. Thank God for football.

Comment

Ehh you forgot Army the first weekend and LSSU this weekend, I assume?

And football? They only scheduled 4 home games this year. Three of them against league teams, so only one OOC. Talk about disappointing schedules.
                              Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

Comment

Actually, I think it makes perfect sense that we sat who we sat against Brock. Not playing were the starting goalie, arguably the #1 forward and the 2 most experienced defenders (including one who has had past injury issues). This game didn't count for anything so it makes sense to get the back-up goalie some time - might need him to be the #1 guy at some point and the middle of the season is no time to be getting tuned up. On the forward side, all of the un-hurt freshman got some time as well as upperclassmen who don't normally see much if any ice time. If young Mac weren't laid up, I think another more familiar name would have sat. This was a good opportunity for Coach Vaughn to see what some of the less tested players might bring. Worked too with frosh McCann and little seen Rivellini combining for a counter - by the way that's their second in two games. Bessette seems to have played well as did Mihalik in limited time. Both gain some confidence and the team gains some trust in them.

The only issue as I see it with this game was the penalties but that also points to why a few guys that normally play might have sat. McPherson took 2 early penalties that smack of team defensive breakdowns (hooking means your man beat you and you didn't think you had support.) Looks like we didn't come in amped - again - continuing issue that this team needs to get a hold of - new intro music maybe. After that things were pretty good until the 3rd where Day - he of the 13 penalties in 36 games last year picked up 4 in a period! Didn't see the game but when a star forward picks up 3 high stickings and a slashing in a single period I start to think that frustration over chippy play is at work. No offense meant to Brock - these tilts between Canadian university teams and NCAA teams have a history of being chippy on both sides. That's the kind of game that a coach might want to keep some of his better guys out of when the outcome is meaningless. My guess - Day only played because a) he's the captain and b) there wasn't anybody else to play.

On to this week, I think this plays out as a very early, very big weekend for us. Our OOC schedule this year is pretty weak. LSSU was picked 12th in the CCHA. BC is obviously top notch but the entire rest of the schedule is AHA. The AHA is getting better but losses to any of these teams are still likely hurt a lot in Pairwise. Plus, while four of these games are against upper level AHA (RoMo, Niagara) - Army and Sacred heart were picked to end up in the bottom half of that league. With only one signature OOC team on the schedule there aren't really any chances to make up for a disappointing game. Any thoughts on why our OOC schedules have been so lack-luster of late? This year we will play 7 or 8 of our non-conference games against AHA, 2 against a CCHA opponent, 1 or 2 against an in conference team and 1 against an HE power. Quite frankly, I am not sure how you could make this worse. I am sure some of this is the result of the WCHA and HE playing so few OOC games (BC will play a [/B] maximum of 5 non-conference opponents this year) but it still seems like our mix could/should be a bit better. Anyone out there know when the number of OOC games played by the big two conferences results in a PairWise that isn't statistically valid?

Comment

Working...
                                X