Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2010-11

How was the attendance last night?
    COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
      How was the attendance last night?
      Eh, not awful but not great. Kind of in-between but considering that the students aren't back yet it was fairly decent.

Chair backs were the chair backs, there were a good collection of fans in the end zone (1/4 full) and then the bleacher side looked moderate from the press box. It's hard to tell though because you can't see how spaced out people are.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
        Microcosm of our season last night. Could of won...but didn't. Thought Michalik played very well, looked more confident to me. We hit the post, Day had a great chance for a tap in but the puck slid just wide. I don't know what to say anymore !! I've never seen a team like this that's in every game but can't catch a break. Unreal !
        I feel your pain........it's not a banner year for my Saints either but I think we have a really outstanding freshman class (and would have been better if Stevenson didn't sign with the Caps before setting foot on campus). I don't sense that same optimism in your recruiting class.
        Based on who you had returning I picked you guys in the Top 6 and all of us are somewhat puzzled by what is going on down there. I also noticed a bunch of comments on attendance. The stats showed only 763 people which even with the students away is pretty abysmal. On the "other" end of the spectrum I tried to get two tickets for Tim U and I to see SLU at Yale next weekend and SLU's allotment of tickets are gone...all seats are gone...and I could only get general admission tickets to stand.

I think our school and yours along with a few others are struggling with the administrations to keep their programs at the level we have been accustomed to. Budgets have been cut, staff reduced, travel/recruiting budgets are tight. It seems like we are developing into a league of have and have nots when it comes to support from above. If we had half the budget Quinnipiac has I shudder to think of how good our programs could be. Yale is now a machine...Union on the upswing, RPI renovated (but it's still Houston) and Cornell will well, always be Cornell.
        Sorry you guys are struggling so badly and we all feel bad for Don Vaughan as he deserves better as do you guys.
        SLU

Comment

I'll say this: we're pretty ******* creative with ways to lose games
          ECAC Champions: 1990
          NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
          ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
          NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
          Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

When you are part of a now losing program you manage to find new ways to lose...the amount of skill a team has generally shows up on the PP...most of the players on this team have NOT improved one iota since their respective freshmen years (a few exceptions noted)...just when you think it can't possibly get worse, it does...perhaps we can start at the top. Since the arrival of our current AD virtually every sports team at the 'Gate has gone downhill (I think we're better in woman's cross country) to the point where it's simply embarrassing...God Bless Terry Slater and Jack Bruen; they must be turning over in their graves right now...speaking as a supportive alum for many years I am disgusted...

Comment

GreenCoat, was your post before or after tonight's loss to RPI?!

I am speechless. Don't want to beat a lame horse while it's down, but I want someone's head on a platter. I'm stunned, embarrassed, depressed, confused, worried, desperate and inconsolable...but mostly sympathetic toward my beloved Red Raiders and anyone associated with the athletic program in general. Just so, so sorry for the demise of Colgate Athletics on many levels.

Fought the good fight but tonight's OT loss really, really hurt.
              Hang tough, Colgate.
              Last edited by TchrBill; 01-15-2011, 08:46 PM.
              C O L G A T E
              2023 ECAC CHAMPION
              1990 NCAA FINALS
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
              ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
              ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

After watching that game, I felt like the girl of my dreams just kicked me in the nuts.

Not only was it a penalty-shot goal-against, it was also a shorthanded goal-against, during a 5-minute major penalty. We have found another way to lose and (IMO) we have hit rock bottom. Unless we can muster out at least ONE win against Cornell I'm throwing in the towel on this season. And as I'm typing this I receive a text message on my phone reminding me that we lost in OT on a penalty shot.

There better be some serious inquiries about the program. If I were the President or the AD at Colgate I'd probably make like the owner of the Dallas Cowboys did back in November and do something drastic.

Time to watch some playoff football. Go Pats...
                Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                  There better be some serious inquiries about the program. If I were the President or the AD at Colgate I'd probably make like the owner of the Dallas Cowboys did back in November and do something drastic.
                  I won't hold my breath. Your options are limited when it comes to making drastic changes in a college athletics program. You can't get rid of the players, and I'd be shocked if more than 1 assistant goes. Really, I'd be shocked if either assistant goes, so that seems like a dead-end to me. Otherwise, the only 2 names left would be Vaughan and Roach. I've got my preference, but I don't see serious changes being made there. Certainly not Vaughan, I would think...
                  ECAC Champions: 1990
                  NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
                  ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
                  ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
                  NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
                  Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

My opinion is that Dave Roach is a disaster, a tool for the administration and happy to have a job after being fired at Brown. The continuing deterioration of the university's entire sports program started with the departure of Mark Murphy (who had the pedigree and political power to keep the "let's go to DIII crowd" at bay). Fred Dunlap (and even Hal Lahar) were well respected ADs. This bull**** is not just about men's ice hockey folks...you may remember Dr. Frank Ryan's tenure as AD at Yale. Now I love Frank Ryan since I've been a Browns fan since birth. He was a horrible AD at Yale - just talk to a few of my Yale friends and look at the history. I pray that Jeffrey Herbst is not another Rebecca Chopp - who gave lip service to athletics at the 'Gate, then leaves for, guess where, DIII Haverford...

Comment

Originally posted by TheValleyRaider View Post
                      I won't hold my breath. Your options are limited when it comes to making drastic changes in a college athletics program. You can't get rid of the players, and I'd be shocked if more than 1 assistant goes. Really, I'd be shocked if either assistant goes, so that seems like a dead-end to me. Otherwise, the only 2 names left would be Vaughan and Roach. I've got my preference, but I don't see serious changes being made there. Certainly not Vaughan, I would think...
                      I was probably over-reacting in my previous post. But yeah, I'd rather get rid of Roach over Vaughan. The players are not the problem...

Also, GreenCoat, Rebecca Chopp left for Swarthmore, not Haverford. But yeah, you got the right idea...
                      Colgate '09

Comment

Good point Rainman...do you think we could beat Swarthmore in men's hoops this year??? I'm more than a little serious...

Comment

Some players held accountable others not. IMO some of the studs need to watch a game or two from the stands. Too many just mailing it in and going through the motions. Power play hasn't worked but they keep trying the same thing over and over. For those of you that know the finer points of the game, have you seen any adjustments in between periods this year. Same things are tried- nothing gets adjusted. Certain players over played when they aren't getting it done. I can understand trying to get your top guys into the game flow, but when it isn't happening give up on them and try to find someone that can spark things. I think the top guys are frustrated because they aren't getting it done and the bottom guys have given up because they don't get a lot of playing time and opportunity to show what they can do. The psyche of this team has been destroyed from mismanagement by the coaching staff. Just my opinion
                          Last edited by HockeyEh; 01-15-2011, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Last night's disaster is now on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vL08ZdGV6g

The fact that we switched directions at the start of OT didn't help either -- the RPI fans in attendance were right behind Mihalik and were probably heckling him to death and wrecking his psyche all the way up to the actual shot. Had we kept our usual "shoot at the east (end zone seating) goal" for OT maybe something different would have happened...
                            Colgate '09

Comment

Prior ADs at the 'Gate all had substantial ties to the school. Hal Lahar coached at Colgate, went to the Univ of Houston and returned to the 'Gate. I can't think of two other people who bleed maroon as much as Fred Dunlap and Mark Murphy. Even DV, who took one for the team and acted as interim AD for one year, obviously has a 'Gate background. It is not a coincidence that the swimming program has actually been competitive under Roach because that's where he made his bones at Brown (women's swimming). The bottom line here is that, and again this is not a knock against the kids, we now have athletes on both men's hoops and hockey who are really high-caliber DIII student-athletes. I'm delighted Colgate has a 100% graduation rate among student-athletes. But frankly, I'd settle for 95% and programs that aren't currently in the toilet. We appear to be in a movie called "Ed Sweeney Redux", named after the former Dickinson College head football coach who spent three years at Colgate compiling a 6-26-1 record (0-11 his final year). What did Mark Murphy do upon becoming AD? Making a gutsy hire - Dick Biddle - after only three lousy seasons. I'm not saying fire everybody, but coaches/assistant coaches should be held to SOME kind of competitive standard. Coaching (and AD) positions shouldn't be lifetime appointments.

Comment

I think you're grasping at straws Rainman, but I had a strategy of my own. When RPI nearly had its first breakaway in OT, I was screaming for Vaughan to call a T/O. As embarrassing or helpful as it may have been, Vaughan should have stopped the game, reassembled his troops, settled the players' nerves, and put some pride back on the ice.

There is also something else that is obvious as we reflect on what might have been. We had our season of 19 OT games that could have gone either way and the same is true this season (though in my opinion we're not playing as well) with our one-goal losses. We've held some ranked teams in check and that's more than many league opponenets - and OOC opponents - can say. We surpassed preseason expectations and finished in the top 4 last year, and this year is a reversal of fortune; a rebuilding year, to say the least. There's nowhere to go but up. We will easily be overlooked come playoff time but that's to our advantage. We will have a different sense of urgency with a season of adrenaline in our systems and absolutely nothing to lose.

Still wish we were getting a new rink.
                                Onward and Upward!
                                Go Colgate
                                C O L G A T E
                                2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                                1990 NCAA FINALS
                                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                                ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                                ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Working...