• Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2010-11

The RPI game was on national tv yest NHL network...what a game
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Gate Radio View Post
      Don't think they switched ends in the Clarkson OT game as far as I know. I was rather surprised when they switched ends - that's not something that has happened in the past.
      This was a NCAA-wide rule change this season. Teams switch ends for overtime just like between any other periods. I believe the main reasoning was for playoff games, where you could play 2, 3, 4 overtimes in a row with the teams in the same ends under the old rules. But it applies to regular season games all the same.
      APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
        This was a NCAA-wide rule change this season. Teams switch ends for overtime just like between any other periods. I believe the main reasoning was for playoff games, where you could play 2, 3, 4 overtimes in a row with the teams in the same ends under the old rules. But it applies to regular season games all the same.
        Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

ColSkate65...I hear you...what troubles me is how are programs like RPI and Union starting to lap us...remember Seth Appert lost two of his best players to the NHL after their freshmen years. What is Nate Leaman doing at Union that we, apparently, are not...skill level can very often be seen on one's PP and I saw that last night Union was 6-9 on the PP against Army...we are now 33-45-16 in the ECAC over the past 4+ years and our non-conf record (especially when you consider that we play one of the easiest out-of-league schedules in the ECAC) is even worse. I don't think therefore that this is a one-year phenomenon notwithstanding last year's fourth place finish. The problem here, as with many other Colgate athletic teams, is becoming systemic (Thank God for Dick Biddle)...

Comment

There is certainly enough talent on this team to beat teams like Niagara. I think it started out as an issue with combinations, style of play and ultimately coaching. Now it is becoming (agreeing with other posters) a mental thing. The boys have to get out of this, but I don't know what gets them out of it- apparently not coaching. If they can't lock down a win at Robert Morris, I think you can throw this season out the window and start playing the other goalies and other younger players more to give them experience and see what you can expect. That may be enough to help take some mental pressure off. At some point they need to play for pride. Maybe we get a surprise and someone steps it up at Robert Morris to lead the team out of the darkness

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
              For the postseason, this "rule change" would make sense, considering there are intermissions before each OT period, complete with a zamboni resurfacing the ice. But in the regular season when there is a 2-minute breather (and no ice resurfacing), it makes more sense to continue shooting in the same direction. I believe home teams have the choice in which direction they want to shoot; why would they have to go against this in a 5-minute sudden death period?

Like I said in my previous post, if this happens again at Starr Rink, it is to OUR disadvantage, especially if we have to play OT hockey against Cornell, Clarkson, or St. Lawrence. Their fans (and for Cornell, Clarkson, and RPI, their pep bands) would be behind OUR goaltender in "sudden-death" mode.

I just hope the team can put this behind them and *hopefully* get their act together by January 7, when we resume league play. This "mediocrity/underachieving" has been ongoing since 2006-07, with the 2008-09 and 2009-10 seasons notwithstanding.
              Colgate '09

Comment

I totally agree with Greencoat that our PK, as well as the rest of our game is too passive. It is time to turn up the dial and move forward instead of retreating all the time. Take some chances for goodness sake and attack. We will never score a short handed goal because the PK unit stands still at center ice waiting for the other team to bring the puck up after we ice it. It is a terrible way to kill a pp and sets the whole team in passive mode. Attack the puck! Never mind that, but we also play our even strength game like that as well. Setting up at center ice and waiting for the team to set up their break out gives them a free pass. Coach it's time for a change. Let's go on the attack for one game and see what happens. Fore-check with speed and intensity. Lets try to force mistakes. Holding and hooking calls (which we get regularly) are a result of not moving your feet, an up tempo game will help to get rid of those calls (may turn into boarding and charges but at least the boys would be skating).

This could be the most frustrating team I've seen in years and I hate to say this, but the coach is to blame for a lot of it. Time for a change of philosophies.

I had to put this up for my own eyes to see. Look at the scores of these losses. They are not getting blown out, they're in every game. I also believe they had the lead in the 3rd period in 4 games that we ultimately lost. 2 years ago when they went to OT 19 times they would have found a way to get to OT in the 1 goal games below. Now there is no way they come back in the 3rd once the lead evaporates.

L 1- 2 at Lake Superior
                L 4- 5 at Lake Superior
                L 1- 4 at St. Lawrence EN GOAL
                L 3- 4 Princeton
                L 1- 3 Quinnipiac
                L 2- 5 Brown EN GOAL
                L 4- 6 Yale #1 TEAM IN THE COUNTRY
                L 2- 4 at Niagara EN GOAL
                L 3- 4 vs Cornell
                L 3- 4 OT Niagara
                Last edited by Gaterrooter; 12-13-2010, 03:22 PM.
                The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

Gaterooter, well stated...when you're afraid of making mistakes you inevitably will make them...if we're going to make mistakes the least we can do is commit them at center ice or on the offensive end. We are too passive, obviously on the PK, but our entire philosophy seems predicated on ceding center ice...skate all four lines - don't overuse the first and second lines - and apply some pressure. The extra ice time for our "high skill" players should result from the PP only...Sat night we looked "gassed" in the third period...

Comment

The PK is now 19/21 (90.5%) in the last four games and it's just below 80% for the season which considering where it was is pretty good. Colgate is actually tied with Yale nationally in PK percentage.

And just to comment quickly from the perspective of seeing all 14 games this year. The team has had a decent number of short-handed chances, mostly coming in a 2-on-1 or 2-on-2 rush with attacking forwards. It's just been a matter of not being able to finish those rushes off - either the goalie makes the save, a shot is blocked, the pass is too far behind/someone overskates, etc etc. I want to say that Colgate has had at least 1 or 2 great short-handed chances in each of the last few games.

Comment

I've heard the primary reason for the switch was as a way to generate more offense and have less games end in ties. The idea being that the defense would have to make a long change in overtime and that increases the chance of a goal to be scored. I assume somewhere there must be data to show that second periods are higher scoring than firsts or thirds in order for them to make the change for those reasons, but that is what I was told by a league coach.

Comment

Sorry not to have posted much this season, guys. Just too depressing.

Comment

So what changes can we anticipate for this weekend?

Comment

I wish we had a coach like this:

man, don vaughan really isn't a good coach.

Comment

WOW !! What movie is that ?
                              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                                WOW !! What movie is that ?
                                Glengarry Glen Ross. Hell of a movie and Alec Baldwin's performance is spectacular.

Comment

Working...
                                X