This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2010-11

It's a little difficult to start any assessment of the current state of our hockey program when your first thought is the following: IF the Krach ratings were available right now would we be ranked ahead or behind Bentley? First of all, any musings from contributors that Coach V is going somewhere should be shelved. It ain't gonna happen. Secondly, my personal view is that Don has done a solid job as the 'Gate's head coach over his tenure as regards his coaching of kids both on and off the ice in Hamilton. I'm sure this year's team is driving him nuts. Through the 2005-2006 season his numbers were solid and our final four ECAC appearances were quite good (despite never winning any semi-final game at the ECACs). These are quality kids who are, by and large, solid academically and take an interest in contributing to the Colgate community (Ethan Cox stands out, but there have been others). On the downside, note that I previously said "coaching of kids...in Hamilton." The issue for me pertains to the recruiting side of the isssue, especially since (as stated many times) Moore and Dickson departed. In the last five years the college game has changed and so has the recruiting process. It would appear the program's adjustments in these two areas was late in coming. We are further handicapped each year by what seems to be a university-imposed restriction on the size of our overall roster. Competition for playing time - especially for 18, 19 and 20-year olds - is not a bad thing. Healthy scratches for the 'Gate number (not counting goalies) in the four or five area. We've been lucky that over the past decade - with the possible exception of the 2008-09 season - that the impact of injuries has been better than most other teams in the ECAC. The talent level is now middle-of-the-pack at best (please don't get caught up in NHL draftees on the team; 5th, 6th and 7th round picks are gambles at best) and, despite middling goaltending over the last few years, we've benefitted from Shep Harder, Steve Silverthorn, and especially Mark Dekanich for almost one decade. Let's face it: Dekanich was the major reason we advanced to Albany in the springs of 2006 and 2008. Another help to our reasonably good ECAC records through the 2006 season was (and continues to be) the fact that we have Cornell as a travel partner. Our very lackluster non-conference and playoff records may be evidence of this in-conference benefit. The bottom line is that everyone - including those who provide funds for the Silver Puck Council - have to step it up NOW. Roster expansion may be a non-starter, especially when AD leadership is probably tepid and ineffectual. I've been a member of Silver Puck for over 30 years and have NEVER been asked to squeeze additional dollars out of my checking account. Now I know there are NCAA rules surrounding these programs, but, like our development office overall, if you don't push the envelope...let's just say Silver Puck raises $75K each year in contributions. (obviously the figure does increase each year, although it seems to be incremental in nature). There's no reason - even in this economic environment - why this figure can't be moved above $100K and beyond. The pedigree of donors is relatively impressive so access to additional $ is doable. If you don't ask...this money goes to a vareity of needs, including travel costs for recruiting. Ultimately, Don is responsible for bringing in quality players and, no doubt, the process begins when these kids are only 16 and 17. Are the assistant coaches targeting the right areas (although we seem to be going back into Canada, our BCJHL presence is waning, the USHL doesn't exist for us) and, secondly, making the right decisions on kids coming in 2012 and 2013? I was very pleased to see the twins from Cornwall commit the other day, in part because they visited the campus, but also due to Jesse Winchester's guidance. If I felt we were moving in the right direction, including support from the very top of the administration down to a re-energized Silver Puck I'd gladly double my annual contribution. In sum, I want Don here for a long time, but it doesn't mean that reactive steps to improve the status quo are sufficient. I'd like to think that current AD Roach and even the new president, Jeff Herbst, would be receptive to, or even initiate steps themselves, to address the question: what can we do to make our men's ice hockey team a nationally-competitive program in the future?

Comment

Excellent post.

Recruiting for next year looks good with the players that are listed as coming in - Wilson is having a solid year in the OJHL (38 points in 28 games), Lidgett's numbers in Alberta as a 17-year-old are strong (93 birth year, he'll turn 18 when the season starts next year) and Brendan Corcoran has good offensive numbers for an EJHL dman with Bay State - he's an older guy with a 90 birth year . The 2012 class is still in the works given that it still needs a goalie and a few more players.

Comment

appreciate it 'Gate Radio...not going to Army tonight 'cause I know you tend to call them as they are and I can sit home, suck down a bottle of chardonnay, and PRAY for a reversal...

Comment

I also was encouraged to read that Jesse was involved in recruiting the twins. I'd like to see more of our hockey alumni take part in the recruiting process if they are located in Canada. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have some alums point our assistant coaches and Don in other fruitful directions.
          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
            appreciate it 'Gate Radio...not going to Army tonight 'cause I know you tend to call them as they are and I can sit home, suck down a bottle of chardonnay, and PRAY for a reversal...
            white wine and hockey. interesting.

Comment

Will it be a(nother) Black Knight for the Raiders???

I sure hope not. But I'm losing my patience...
              Colgate '09

Comment

3-0 win at the Point

The streak is dead
                ECAC Champions: 1990
                NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
                ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
                NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
                Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

Closer than the score, but at this point a needed win...the basic premise remains: we need more speed and skill but the effort was there. I thought that Mayer and Smith both played well (glad the latter, although an empter-netter, got on the board) and Evin was very solid (folks, goaltending is NOT the problem). As long as we continue to simply replace graduating seniors with a like number of incoming freshmen or graduating seniors plus one I don't see a real turn around for a while. This is a team that has to avoid mistakes and needs decent goaltending because the level of top-to-bottom skill, especially at the forward position, is average. I wouldn't be surprised to see Coach V move Larkin to forward at some point on a more permanent basis. There's nothing like a little confidence so let's take a "W" and continue to improve...

Comment

Didn't get to listen to the broadcast but all I'm gonna say is

I'm sure there's still room for improvement but for now I'll take the W and run with it. Funny how the winless slide was bookended by a pair of shutouts (both from Evin) ... a good omen?
                    Colgate '09

Comment

Pic, recap, and brief video highlighting Colgate's last 2 goals

http://www.goarmysports.com/ViewArti...B_OEM_ID=11100

Radio broadcast had me on pins and needles. Thought they would get the job done but as we know, never a certainty with a 1st period lead. Army was in this one every step of the way. Finally, a 3rd period we could hold on to. Seemed like our penalties were a bit more controlled other than the late hit which should have been avoided. Also seemed to block a lot of shots. A pp goal against the nation's leading pk is a good omen, too!

Two of our wins are against the same team (good for consistency) but am ready to beat a team with a winning record.

Congrats for an encouraging win!
                      We want BC!
                      C O L G A T E
                      2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                      1990 NCAA FINALS
                      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                      ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                      ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Greencoat I take issue with a couple of items.

First, we have decent talent, not great, but decent. We returned forwards like Day, Briesbois, Smith, Bourdon and Bartliff. That's 5 pretty talented forwards who put up good point totals last year, did they become untalented ovrer the summer?

Second, we need our D to play D and solidify that unit. Yes, an occsional shift at forward is great for Larkin but he will be the core of the defense for the next 2 years, so let's not screw with that now.

Third, you say that we shouldn't "get caught up" in the 5th - 7th round draft choices because they are gambles at best. Yes, they are gambles to make it to the NHL, being selected late does make the climb that much harder. However, the guys who are selected, are selected by scouts and GM's whose jobs are to judge and project talent. This isn't the baseball draft with 50 plus rounds. So to have 7 players on our roster that NHL organizations have "projected" and picked, based on their talent level says alot about the recruiting being done by this staff regardless of what is said. Also, the classes coming in the next 2 years look very talented. Any time you get kids that have played for their quasi national teams (canada east and Joey Wilson wore the USA jersey a couple of times) they have to have talent. So I would say we have done a great job of recruiting based on the location of our school and the pitiful attendance we have.

Fourth, what is the point you are trying to make about graduating seniors and replacing them with a "like number" of freshman? That is what we have always done, for that matter, that's what everyone does. Are you suggesting expanding the roster? If so, how does that help in recruiting? I don't think it does. A short roster is an advantage for Colgate when recruiting. They can offer a chance at more playig time as a freshman. Take a look at a roster like St Lawrence. Looks like they are allowed to roster 35 to 36. What's their record?

The crowd last night at Army was excellent (Yes I understand they are a somewhat captive audience), something we need to figure out how to correct at Starr. Evin made some excellent saves and deserved the shutout, very happy for him, the team and the coaching staff. Now we have a chance to do something we haven't done this year. WIN BACK TO BACK GAMES! The league itself looks pretty jumbled beyond Yale, Union and RPI. Can we still hold out hope for a top half finish?
                        The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

Originally posted by Gaterrooter View Post
                          The league itself looks pretty jumbled beyond Yale, Union and RPI. Can we still hold out hope for a top half finish?
                          Yes, I think we can still hope for a top half finish. Also, I would replace RPI there with Dartmouth.
                          Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaterrooter View Post
                            Greencoat I take issue with a couple of items.

First, we have decent talent, not great, but decent. We returned forwards like Day, Briesbois, Smith, Bourdon and Bartliff. That's 5 pretty talented forwards who put up good point totals last year, did they become untalented ovrer the summer?

Second, we need our D to play D and solidify that unit. Yes, an occsional shift at forward is great for Larkin but he will be the core of the defense for the next 2 years, so let's not screw with that now.

Third, you say that we shouldn't "get caught up" in the 5th - 7th round draft choices because they are gambles at best. Yes, they are gambles to make it to the NHL, being selected late does make the climb that much harder. However, the guys who are selected, are selected by scouts and GM's whose jobs are to judge and project talent. This isn't the baseball draft with 50 plus rounds. So to have 7 players on our roster that NHL organizations have "projected" and picked, based on their talent level says alot about the recruiting being done by this staff regardless of what is said. Also, the classes coming in the next 2 years look very talented. Any time you get kids that have played for their quasi national teams (canada east and Joey Wilson wore the USA jersey a couple of times) they have to have talent. So I would say we have done a great job of recruiting based on the location of our school and the pitiful attendance we have.

Fourth, what is the point you are trying to make about graduating seniors and replacing them with a "like number" of freshman? That is what we have always done, for that matter, that's what everyone does. Are you suggesting expanding the roster? If so, how does that help in recruiting? I don't think it does. A short roster is an advantage for Colgate when recruiting. They can offer a chance at more playig time as a freshman. Take a look at a roster like St Lawrence. Looks like they are allowed to roster 35 to 36. What's their record?

The crowd last night at Army was excellent (Yes I understand they are a somewhat captive audience), something we need to figure out how to correct at Starr. Evin made some excellent saves and deserved the shutout, very happy for him, the team and the coaching staff. Now we have a chance to do something we haven't done this year. WIN BACK TO BACK GAMES! The league itself looks pretty jumbled beyond Yale, Union and RPI. Can we still hold out hope for a top half finish?
                            A lot of the crowd stuck around for the USA Warriors game afterwards so I think that had a lot to do with it. Also, there was a pee wee hockey game at the first intermission with two large teams so include all of the kids and their parents. Plus there were just a lot of local townsfolk - Highland Falls and surrounding area. I didn't necessarily see a large pocket of cadets but I would guess they were somewhere.

Comment

Just a reminder, if you are going to the game at Starr on Saturday night it is the night of the "Holiday Council Toy Drive". Bring an unwrapped toy to the game and get a free ticket if you need one.
                              The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

Bump back to Page 1

Niagara comes to Hamilton on Saturday night. Maybe we stop the Purps and start an honest-to-goodness winning streak?

Looking for the turnaround, though not prepared to buy into anything until after the holidays when the ECAC picks back up
                                ECAC Champions: 1990
                                NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
                                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
                                ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
                                NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
                                Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

Working...
                                X