This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2010-11

So...what's your solution ?? Post and whine ???
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
      So...what's your solution ?? Post and whine ???
      No actually here are the things I would suggest Don et al take under consideration. Quicker shots on PP. Get the team more physical even if it means putting all your physical players on one line to set the tone. Quicker shots on PP. Run four lines (use the depth) and force other teams to match up to you. Our scoring has been spread around so any line can score given the right match up. Quicker shots on PP. Drop the perimeter movement PP that never shoots and focus on screening and getting shots. Quicker shots on PP. More traffic in front of net. Hold ALL players accountable. If your top guys screw up, hold them accountable too. Give some of the guys in the stands more of a chance or even A chance. They are probably very hungry now. Sitting a top player will send a message. Not sure what is going on but the break out passing has been deteriorating. fix it. Consider moving your defensive pairings around. Oh yeah and quicker shots on PP. Once we work on that I can give you more. Even willing to write up the drills and plays for you if you want them.

Comment

I agree 100%....We don't have much offensive talent on the points though. My biggest qualm is the breakout passing by the defensemen....very poor !! Quicker shots on the PP should be addressed too. As Gretzky stated once" Shoot the puck on goal, you'd be surprised what will happen ".

Comment

• Originally posted by sshablak View Post
          I agree 100%....We don't have much offensive talent on the points though".
          Glad you agree but I have to disagree with your comment about the offensive skill of the points. I think there is a lot of offensive skill they just aren't properly using it on pp. I'd also look at two very different set ups for the pp. One overload and one umbrella but play your best puck movement forward as the point on the umbrella and give him free reign to shoot or distribute the puck. Need more screening of the goalies and better low shoots. We have a lot of blocked shots because of the type of shot taken- slow release high slappers. Or we try way to jam down low on passes and force bad angle shots. I am sick of seeing long (slow release) shots up high. I'll take a long hard shot on the ice any day. Hard for a goalie to pick up through a screen, hard to block and more likely to generate a rebound. Who on this team is willing to take the abuse in front of the net to set screens on the pp and still be standing to play the rebound? I like some of the smaller thick guys with leverage over the big bodies. But are we just dumb armchair coaches or are these ideas the coaching staff is just passing over. Drastic times call for drastic measures.
          Last edited by HockeyEh; 12-02-2010, 02:28 PM.

Comment

I think shooting more and quicker shots on the power play is something that we all can agree on. Moving the puck around the perimeter with sometimes three high is great but if it leads to turnovers and not shots, the movement is really all for naught. Colgate's recent power play success - four goals in the last three games has come from getting traffic in the high traffic areas and getting a screen shot deflection - Day twice and Prockow once. The other goal was a 5-on-3 and that was basically what appeared to be a generic set play to get a one-timer off from the circles.

It's not as if the coaches though aren't telling the kids to shoot. Our on-ice decisions at times of when to and when not to shoot have been poor and that's why you've had continual tinkering with the combinations by the coaches and no unit combinations have been kept together. The only constant that I've seen is that Day and Smith are usually on the same line and that makes sense given that they've played together for three years and have shown a track record of good chemistry.

Really what it comes down to for special teams is the playmakers and scorers making plays and scoring goals. A few guys traditionally relied upon for solid power play points - both forwards and defensemen - have really struggled this year. When they get going, and I think they will at some point, the power play will greatly improve. Keep in mind, in terms of the power play, everyone but McIntyre is back from last year - Cox and Williams weren't power play guys.

Comment

This all sounds really good. I would jump in the car and drive down and run a practice. And while your there, see whom wants to lead the turn-around. Without a cohesive group, shooting quicker on the P.P. is a small step compared to a team wanting it for each other.

Comment

Well if we're all offering solutions to the issues, I have a couple of points. We only lost 3 guys from the line up last year. I don't care how much they played, dropping from 4th to 8th maybe expected but 4th to last, how does that happen? Especially when you return every single D man and your #1 goalie.

I see the intensity missing from last year. Yes, D Mac took some stupid penalties last year but he was always was in some guys face and bringing some jam to the game. How many guys do you seeing playing with that intensity? I've seen maybe 2 or 3 tops.
                The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

The first change that needs to be made is the pre-game skate music. It is god-awful this year! This just might be the trick to turning the team aound.
                  COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Gaterooter; a couple of corrections:

Lost 6 regulars from the lineup, DMac, Coxy, Willy, Long, & Corrin, + Carty whom saw limited time in 20 + games.

Long was actually supposed to be the #1 goalie......although Evin became more consistent.

Comment

• Originally posted by doghok View Post
                      Gaterooter; a couple of corrections:

Lost 6 regulars from the lineup, DMac, Coxy, Willy, Long, & Corrin, + Carty whom saw limited time in 20 + games.

Long was actually supposed to be the #1 goalie......although Evin became more consistent.
                      All of the forwards lost (excepting Carty as he saw limited action) we're physical players and took care of their own end first. Who on the current roster of forwards can you say that about? Day, Wagner, Mayer and ...?

Comment

• Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                        The first change that needs to be made is the pre-game skate music. It is god-awful this year! This just might be the trick to turning the team aound.
                        Personally I'd opt for allocating some of the scholarship money to recruit Pep Band members.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEh View Post
                          Personally I'd opt for allocating some of the scholarship money to recruit Pep Band members.
                          What really bothers me is the lack of pep band attendance at home games ever since I graduated! Even in my senior year (2008-09, 10th place finish with 19 OT games), we were at EVERY home game and went to at least 3 away games (Cornell, RPI, Union). Heck, we even made the trip to Clarkson in March 2008, even though their band tried to physically assault us! At least we won Game 3 of that series in double OT, now THAT was sweet to see in person.

Now it appears that they show up to less than half of the home games, and no away games. That's very disappointing. I was hoping they could provide me with my tickets for the Cornell games (both home AND away)...
                          Colgate '09

Comment

Some pleasant news...Mark Dekanich recalled by the Predators

http://www.ecachockey.com/men/member...ecallNashville

Hope he gets a start. Good luck Mark!
                            ECAC Champions: 1990
                            NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
                            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
                            ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
                            NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
                            Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

Wish we had trigger-happy Campbell and Marostega on the pp
                              C'mon 'Gate...sweep those Cadets!
                              C O L G A T E
                              2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                              1990 NCAA FINALS
                              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                              ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                              ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

OMG Lokk at Dek's numbers...three shutouts in last eight games too !!

Comment

Working...
                                X