Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-11: Houston, We've had a Facelift!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-11: Houston, We've had a Facelift!

DrD - I thought you would enjoy this because I believe we share the same political views. Did you know that hack Keith Olbermann claims he went to an Ivy when he really went to the University of Ithaca, School of Ag.? The following has two very funny discussions on the topic. Enjoy.

http://www.olbermannwatch.com/archiv...oulter_and.php
    Last edited by AspyDad; 10-31-2010, 03:41 PM.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Oh, and as an addendum to my post (I'm doing the PtC right now and it made me think of the announcer for yesterday's games...) HE WAS TERRIBLE! ABSOLUTELY GODDAM AWFUL!

If you're given a pronunciation chart, use it! If there's a penalty, read it before the penalty's half over! If there's a goal, read the names twice, so that the people celebrating when you read it the first time hear who scored! If there are two goals in quick succession and you didn't finish announcing who scored the first goal, then read it again after the second goal celebration is over! And, you don't need to hype up the game for the people that are already there! And and, don't grab every single person with a costume for the costume contest. Be selective. Otherwise, the intermission ends up running long.
      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
        Oh, and as an addendum to my post (I'm doing the PtC right now and it made me think of the announcer for yesterday's games...) HE WAS TERRIBLE! ABSOLUTELY GODDAM AWFUL!

If you're given a pronunciation chart, use it! If there's a penalty, read it before the penalty's half over! If there's a goal, read the names twice, so that the people celebrating when you read it the first time hear who scored! If there are two goals in quick succession and you didn't finish announcing who scored the first goal, then read it again after the second goal celebration is over! And, you don't need to hype up the game for the people that are already there! And and, don't grab every single person with a costume for the costume contest. Be selective. Otherwise, the intermission ends up running long.
        The announcer is on the marketing team for ORDA and probably hasnt done much hockey announcing in his career. I do know he works the summer ski jumping events at the ski jumping facility. Those events are fun and he does a great job with them. Maybe an email to ORDA with suggestions of announcers for next year would work...or you could voulnteer to do it.
        Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
          The announcer is on the marketing team for ORDA and probably hasnt done much hockey announcing in his career. I do know he works the summer ski jumping events at the ski jumping facility. Those events are fun and he does a great job with them. Maybe an email to ORDA with suggestions of announcers for next year would work...or you could voulnteer to do it.
          I understand that he's not naturally a hockey announcer. And, I'd be more than happy to do it next year. Or, they could do what is commonly done at neutral events, which is to use the announcer from each team for one period and have the arena host for the third.
          Go Red!!

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

I understand that he's not naturally a hockey announcer. And, I'd be more than happy to do it next year. Or, they could do what is commonly done at neutral events, which is to use the announcer from each team for one period and have the arena host for the third.
            Or, because it's their site, let them do the job instead of the schools trying to take it over. I'm just happy I was able to watch almost 130 minutes of hockey on a Saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Or, because it's their site, let them do the job instead of the schools trying to take it over. I'm just happy I was able to watch almost 130 minutes of hockey on a Saturday night.
              Or they could put someone who knows what he's doing in the announcer's booth. And, it's difficult to watch 127.5 minutes of hockey when you're cringing every time you hear the PA turn on. I will grant that his music selection was terrific. But, man.
              Go Red!!

Comment

Im pretty sure the now defunct Governors Cup used the TUC announcer for those games. What neutral event used the announcer from each team for one period? Just asking.
                Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                  DrD - I thought you would enjoy this because I believe we share the same political views. Did you know that hack Keith Olbermann claims he went to an Ivy when he really went to the University of Ithaca, School of Ag.? The following has two very funny discussions on the topic. Enjoy.

Thanks-I am a very old fashioned conservative sort of guy. Let me rephrase that-I am just a bit to the right of Attila the Hun. But most of all-I am an old time hockey guy. I still live in the 60's in the days of Dale Watson (RIP Dale) and before that Jerry Knightley and Bobby Brinkworth. At least back in those days it was fairly easy to figure out what sort of hit would incur a penalty. The game is faster now, bigger now, and somewhat more confusing. I still love it though when hockey is played like it should be-like old time hockey.
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post

I'm no fan of Olbermann (or Coulter for that matter), but that's an unjustified cheapshot. How much do you know about the Ag School besides its name? I went to Cornell for grad school and there are some very legitimate programs in that school. In fact, many are much closer to the elite in their field than some of those in other schools that you would probably consider to be "true Ivy" programs (whatever that really means). I took a couple of graduate classes there and they were just as good as those I took in the Engineering and A&S schools. Particularly for NY residents, it can be a wise bargain compared to some of Cornell's private units.

As for the obligatory hockey content, I once took an evening mid-term exam that was scheduled in an Ag School classroom. The class that used the room that afternoon must have been assembling groups for a project. I counted 80% of the varsity hockey team on the list. So, RPI is not the only place where the players tend to be concentrated in a few majors or take common classes. They also know how to work the system. There was a term that a significant percentage of the Engineers varsity registered for Helicopter Design. It wasn't because they were interested in the topic (Joe Juneau was, to say the least, an exception). The reason was that it conflicted with a section of a required Management class that they didn't want (early morning, tough teacher, etc.). Instead they got their preferred schedule and dropped Helicopter Design without ever attending the class.
                    Last edited by rpi82; 10-31-2010, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                      but that's an unjustified cheapshot.
                      Thanks. Lighten up a little, would you.
                      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

For those of us who "live and die" for our favorite college hockey team, there comes a time when that is secondary. And that time came to Pioneer fans this weekend.
                        GRAND FORKS, N.D. — University of Denver center Jesse Martin sustained three neck fractures in Saturday night's hockey game at North Dakota and was transferred to a Minneapolis hospital this morning where doctors are deciding if emergency surgery is required to relieve swelling of the spinal cord, the player's father said.

Read more: DU's Martin facing emergency surgery for broken neck - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...#ixzz13z0LjWRS

A new thread has been started
                        "Pass on your best wishes to Jesse Martin here"
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                          For those of us who "live and die" for our favorite college hockey team, there comes a time when that is secondary. And that time came to Pioneer fans this weekend.
                          GRAND FORKS, N.D. — University of Denver center Jesse Martin sustained three neck fractures in Saturday night's hockey game at North Dakota and was transferred to a Minneapolis hospital this morning where doctors are deciding if emergency surgery is required to relieve swelling of the spinal cord, the player's father said.

Read more: DU's Martin facing emergency surgery for broken neck - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...#ixzz13z0LjWRS

A new thread has been started
                          "Pass on your best wishes to Jesse Martin here"
                          Sounds terrible. Hopefully the fractures are not high cervical as opposed to the lower vertebrae-hopefully there is not full crush injury-and I suspect they have the area kept at extremely low temperature now to limit the swelling. My thoughts go out to him. I sustained a severe crush injury of C7 many years ago in a sports injury. Thankfully it was only a partial crush of the cord and i was able to recover but it took 6 months to regain any feeling or movement in the nerves affected. It will o doubt be a long hard road.
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            But most of all-I am an old time hockey guy. I still live in the 60's in the days of Dale Watson (RIP Dale) and before that Jerry Knightley and Bobby Brinkworth. At least back in those days it was fairly easy to figure out what sort of hit would incur a penalty. The game is faster now, bigger now, and somewhat more confusing. I still love it though when hockey is played like it should be-like old time hockey.
                            Don't forget Rich Scammell. God bless Dale.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                              Im pretty sure the now defunct Governors Cup used the TUC announcer for those games. What neutral event used the announcer from each team for one period? Just asking.
                              I know the Beanpot and the Frozen Fenway event both use the participating teams' announcers. So maybe it's not commonplace, like I stated, but it has significant precedent.

For events being held at arenas that regularly host hockey games that require announcers, I have no issues. But when someone who has no experience and struggles with some of the most simplistic things, it's difficult to listen to.
                              Go Red!!

Comment

I know the Beanpot and the Frozen Fenway event both use the participating teams' announcers. So maybe it's not commonplace, like I stated, but it has significant precedent.

For events being held at arenas that regularly host hockey games that require announcers, I have no issues. But when someone who has no experience and struggles with some of the most simplistic things, it's difficult to listen to.
                                Its the first year of what I hope turns into a yearly thing so Im sure meetings and whatnot will be held by ORDA and they will figure this out. But being serious, if it means that much to you shoot them an email and let them know Im sure they would be open to how the fan experience was this weekend and what they could do to make it better the next time around.

Comment

Working...
                                X