Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-11: Houston, We've had a Facelift!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2010-11: Houston, We've had a Facelift!

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Thanks for the info on the Devils...err rr...Varsity. Will you be making the trip? Sounds like it should be a fun game as RPI plays a similar up tempo style, with the D looking to jump into the mix on offense. While they'll be in the middle of long road trip, UNB will have a bit of an advantage in having some games under their belts.

Question: What are the academic demands on players from UNB and similar schools?...i.e. are their limits as to who they can enroll academically or will the school give the coach pretty loose reigns?
    Unfortunately I won't be making the trip. Canadian Thanksgiving is next weekend, and I'll be using time and money visiting family in Toronto.

All student-athletes in the CIS have to be full-time students, which at UNB means at least four courses per term (semester). The average non-athlete takes five courses per term. They have to be enrolled in a degree program after their first year. In the CIS you have five years eligibility, so some student-athletes stretch a four-year degree program over five years to ease the course load. You can't take one course in your last year just to play and use your last year of eligibility -- you have to be in a full-time degree program.

If you can get into school, you can play ... your first year. The bar isn't lowered for entering athletes. But don't forget, all CIS schools are provincially funded institutions ("state" schools in your parlance). Some programs at some schools are hard to get into (e.g. most everything at McGill, Kiniseology at UNB, etc.) Student-athletes have to earn (pass) 18 credit hours during the year in order to play the next season. They are permitted to go to summer school to pick up missing credits. However, if you are already on Academic Probation the Registrar might give you a "Dean's Holiday" (i.e. flunk you out) before you have a chance to repeat courses in the summer ...

With the growth of the value of the education packages from the CHL, the trend now is for hockey players to graduate in four years. Most of them have earned four years of scholarships from their Major Junior teams, so they want to make the most of that opportunity before heading off to play minor pro hockey in the States or in Europe. Many will take courses in the summer just to stay on track. The only two fifth-year players with UNB are both in five-year programs - Education.

Btw, there is one Engineering student playing for UNB. Matt Fillier is in his second year of Geodesy and Geomatics.
    Last edited by FreddyFoyle; 10-01-2010, 04:14 PM. Reason: Fixed Education
    "The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action." -- Herbert Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by FreddyFoyle View Post
      Unfortunately I won't be making the trip. Canadian Thanksgiving is next weekend, and I'll be using time and money visiting family in Toronto.

All student-athletes in the CIS have to be full-time students, which at UNB means at least four courses per term (semester). The average non-athlete takes five courses per term. They have to be enrolled in a degree program after their first year. In the CIS you have five years eligibility, so some student-athletes stretch a four-year degree program over five years to ease the course load. You can't take one course in your last year just to play and use your last year of eligibility -- you have to be in a full-time degree program.

If you can get into school, you can play ... your first year. The bar isn't lowered for entering athletes. But don't forget, all CIS schools are provincially funded institutions ("state" schools in your parlance). Some programs at some schools are hard to get into (e.g. most everything at McGill, Kiniseology at UNB, etc.) Student-athletes have to earn (pass) 18 credit hours during the year in order to play the next season. They are permitted to go to summer school to pick up missing credits. However, if you are already on Academic Probation the Registrar might give you a "Dean's Holiday" (i.e. flunk you out) before you have a chance to repeat courses in the summer ...

With the growth of the value of the education packages from the CHL, the trend now is for hockey players to graduate in four years. Most of them have earned four years of scholarships from their Major Junior teams, so they want to make the most of that opportunity before heading off to play minor pro hockey in the States or in Europe. Many will take courses in the summer just to stay on track. The only two fifth-year players with UNB are both in five-year programs - Education.

Btw, there is one Engineering student playing for UNB. Matt Fillier is in his second year of Geodesy and Geomatics.
      Very interesting. Thanks for the insight.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
        Very interesting. Thanks for the insight.
        I should add (brag?) that ten players from UNB's 2009-10 hockey team were named Academic All-Canadians this week, a team record. You need to have a 3.5 GPA (80% or better average) to be an All-Canadian.
        "The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action." -- Herbert Spencer

Comment

I should add (brag?) that ten players from UNB's 2009-10 hockey team were named Academic All-Canadians this week, a team record. You need to have a 3.5 GPA (80% or better average) to be an All-Canadian.
          Brag away...we're fond of student athletes around here...we've got a few dozen of our own !
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Nerds Just kidding. Like WS said brag away.
            Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              I just looked at my program for the 1984 Holiday Tourney. That was the 84-85 season, and Keenan was no longer coaching Toronto. As DrD said, Toronto gave RPI fits, outshooting the Oates-Carter-Servinis... team. The game was tied 2-2 until late in the second period.
              Thanks for backing me up-I was going totally by memory. What I also remember about that game was the freaky weather-the temperature in Troy shot up to over 70 degrees in december. They had trouble keeping the ice frozen and the fog on the ice was horrible. The play was stopped several times and players just skated around to dissipate the fog. Toronto was a powerhouse but RPI had obviously its best team ever and just kept forcing the play especially in the third period. That game was a really good test for a team that was just beginning to know how good they really were.
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Maybe this would be a question better suited for the CC thread, but do we know the start time of next Friday's game for sure? RPI's site says 9 eastern, but both CC and collegehockeystats say 7:37 MT (9:37 in Troy).

I'm driving from western MA (no WRPI coverage) to northern NY (no WRPI coverage) that night, but I'm tempted to purposely leave late so that I'm driving through WRPI's broadcast coverage area while the game's on...
                RPI '08, UW '09. Let's go RED!

Comment

Originally posted by GoDanGo View Post
                  Maybe this would be a question better suited for the CC thread, but do we know the start time of next Friday's game for sure? RPI's site says 9 eastern, but both CC and collegehockeystats say 7:37 MT (9:37 in Troy).

I'm driving from western MA (no WRPI coverage) to northern NY (no WRPI coverage) that night, but I'm tempted to purposely leave late so that I'm driving through WRPI's broadcast coverage area while the game's on...
                  Collegehockeystats.net says 7:37 on Friday and 7:07 on Saturday. Since CHS always shows in the home team's time zone, I'm going to go with 9:37 ET puck drop for Friday.
                  Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                    Collegehockeystats.net says 7:37 on Friday and 7:07 on Saturday. Since CHS always shows in the home team's time zone, I'm going to go with 9:37 ET puck drop for Friday.
                    Does the 7:37 and 7:07 starts mean a chance for these games to be on TV? I would assume Fox College Sports would have them if they were.
                    Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Alls I know is that we'll have some fun late times on here. I remember being here at 1AM for the Alaska game. Halfway decent crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        Alls I know is that we'll have some fun late times on here. I remember being here at 1AM for the Alaska game. Halfway decent crowd.
                        where is here?
                        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                          where is here?
                          Here as in this website and a WRPI simulcast. It was the score thread, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Here as in this website and a WRPI simulcast. It was the score thread, obviously.
                            gotchya...thanks
                            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                              Does the 7:37 and 7:07 starts mean a chance for these games to be on TV? I would assume Fox College Sports would have them if they were.
                              DU is the more popular school in the Colorado area and FSN likes to broadcast all of their games. However, DU is going to be playing at UVM that weekend, so don't rule out the possibility that the Engineers are going to be on TV (although I'd say that the likelihood of it actually hapenning is pretty low).

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                              where is here?
                              The score thread in Forum 7 (DI hockey is 4, Cafe is 10, etc... well, score threads are 7). I've been up for a couple Alaska games on the sore thread. However, with RC's WaP becoming more and more involved and being more technologically advanced, I think the party is going to head over to WaP for game threads.
                              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Bummed out thought I would have seen more stuff about Dale Watson on this board.
                                He was a true Cherry and White hockey hero! He was the leader of one of the most colorful ECAC teams. When Scammel Waton & Law took the the ice
                                anything could happen.
                                Dale Watson made Doug Hearns a hero. He scored the late goal against Ken Dryden to put that game into OT. Cornell was a power
                                Dale's freshman team beat Cornell's frosh team.
                                RIP Dale

For you old guys: remember the gentleman that stood on the ladder at each end of the ice snappin photos. Had to get over the fence at each end to get "the shot" He was freelance but his hockey shots always made the Record. He had some great photos. He was a cool guy.
                                RIP Billy DePhillips

Comment

Working...
                                X